Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 446428 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4425 on: November 24, 2020, 12:23:23 PM »
Dr Brix has said many times that if you die within 90 days of testing positive for covid, it is a covid death. Doesn't matter if it's a car crash or a gangbang shooting.

As far as excess deaths go, many cities have complained about lockdowns because of the rise of suicide and overdoses while having no or few covid deaths.

Then add in the people dying at home because they are afraid of going to doctor.

I am high risk. I rarely go out. This has killed my income and it is hurting my daughter and friends kids and grandkids.

The information we have on this is so bad I would like to kick everyone that calls themselves an expert in the ass.
Deaths caused by the reaction to COVID are also caused by COVID.   =D
I don't lik ethe excess death idea either.  Seems like creating a new statistical category to back up the seriousness of COVID means the the other statistics aren't serious enough? 

The flu can be a very serious disease as well for those that are susceptible and in the past I have heard many of the same arguments about it.  I just think many states are taking the lock downs too far.  We are supposed to be a free country.  That should mean that we have a choice about what risks we take. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4426 on: November 24, 2020, 12:24:09 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/need-covid-nurse-ll-be-8-000-week-n1248652

If you are a critical care nurse and willing to travel, now is the time to cash in.
They shouldn't be allowed to do that.  It puts them at a higher risk of infection so it should be banned.   ;)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4427 on: November 24, 2020, 01:31:14 PM »
The flu can be a very serious disease as well for those that are susceptible and in the past I have heard many of the same arguments about it.  I just think many states are taking the lock downs too far.  We are supposed to be a free country.  That should mean that we have a choice about what risks we take.  

I hear that a lot, and I don't actually disagree with it.  That said, it's not how the US has worked for at least a century.  We have a ton of laws and codes preventing us from choosing to accept risks we might want to.  Health codes in restaurants, building and fire codes, pretty much every regulation on the medical industry, the entire FDA, OSHA.  I'm sure there's more.  All of these are predicated on the idea that we need to restrict the behavior of individuals sometimes to protect the health and well being of others.

You will get no argument from me that our current tapestry of "for the greater good" rules is an over-reaching smothering tide.  I even agree that some of the things we've done for COVID were an over reaction, extra legal, or both.  (some things were an under reaction, and some were just retarded, but that's a different discussion).  For the sake of the discussion though, lets redact to the absurd for a second.  I think we can all agree that locking everyone in their home and requiring daily COVID tests to leave for anything would be an overreaction.  Similarly, I suspect most people would be OK with a village rule that doesn't allow people to defecate in the villages only water source.  (SanFran notwithstanding)  The population is going to fall on a spectrum between those points for risk acceptance vs. loss of freedom.  For almost any spot you place on that spectrum someone would be willing to give up more freedoms for safety, and someone will feel that the tyranny has gone too far.  So where does society draw the line?  Why should your (or mine, or Gov Newsom's) personal limit of risk acceptance vs. freedom be forced on everyone else in the society?  And how do you factor in the very real fact that in some cases peoples actions are increasing risk for others that may not have chosen to accept that particular risk/reward paradigm?

FWIW that's not just a COVID-19 question, although the pandemic does throw it in rather stark contrast.  I also don't have a good answer to the question I just posed.  Should Mary Mallon have been allowed to continue working in NYC households?  Should we have posted the National Guard at city and state borders and flat shut down travel (ala the movie Contagion)?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:20:08 PM by dogmush »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4428 on: November 24, 2020, 02:08:29 PM »
"That should mean that we have a choice about what risks we take."

But that does not, and never has, equaled an unfettered right to say *expletive deleted*ck everyone else, it's all about me no matter what.

People have a right not to be negatively impacted by your choices.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4429 on: November 24, 2020, 02:20:56 PM »
"That should mean that we have a choice about what risks we take."

But that does not, and never has, equaled an unfettered right to say *expletive deleted*ck everyone else, it's all about me no matter what.

People have a right not to be negatively impacted by your choices.

A key point overlooked by many on both sides of the political spectrum.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4430 on: November 24, 2020, 02:47:46 PM »
It's not true.  There was an issue with disparate standards for declaring COVID deaths in the beginning of the pandemic.  CDC realized this and issued nation wide standards early summer.  I linked to those standards in my post.  Unless your argument is that they are just lying.  That's pretty retarded as an argument, because there's no discussion to it.  Any contrary evidence offered is just "a lie".  As we discussed earlier in the pandemic there are verifiable numbers out there, that one can sanity check off of what's actually happening in cities from first hand reports.  You are just to unwilling to go find them, because it counters what's "in front of your face", as if you have first hand knowledge of the entire country.

So they removed the months of misreported covid deaths from the data?

Pretty unlikely.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4431 on: November 24, 2020, 03:03:15 PM »
Why is that unlikely?

They are attempting to have good data so they can make informed decisions, which is why the fed.gov standardized the COVID death coding rules.  Why would they not have states go back and clean up the data sets?  The death certificates are all computerized.

Just because you make a simple declarative statement and wish *really* hard, doesn't make it true.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4432 on: November 24, 2020, 04:22:19 PM »

I accept no guilt, shame, or responsibility for the possibility that I might unwittingly transmit an easily communicable disease to another human being, by going about my life as I have for the previous 40-some years. It is what humans have always done, and cannot be entirely avoided.

You can refuse to accept responsibility for easily foreseeable outcomes to your actions, but you still contributed to those outcomes.  The part of your comment I bolded is objectively bulls**t.  "Humans have always" reacted to disease and pandemics as best they could at the time, by curtailing activities, quarantining folks, blockading whole cities, and in at least one case I can think of locking someone up on an island for the rest of her life because she refused to stop "going about her life as she always had" and spreading a disease*.  Human history is literally rife with people changing the way they live, temporarily or forever, in an attempt to stop the spread of disease.  Just because a risk can't be entirely avoided does not mean actions shouldn't be taken to mitigate it.

*No COVID-19 is not as bad as Typhoid, and I'm not saying we lock people up and throw away the key.  The point is Humans *normally* change how they live their lives in response to disease.  Refusing to is the outlier.

Hate to muck up a good rant, but when I said "it is what humans have always done, and cannot be entirely avoided," I was obviously (or objectively?) talking about sharing diseases with one another. That's what we've always done, and can't entirely avoid. I, of course, was not denying the historical fact of quarantines and leper colonies and the like, in human history.

As for "easily foreseeable outcomes," not so fast. If going out and shopping for kumquats makes me Typhoid Mary, then we're all in the same boat. There have always been diseases. There have always been vulnerable populations.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4433 on: November 24, 2020, 05:21:25 PM »
Here is a little tidbit we should all be mindful of: Regardless of what is going around, we are each of us responsible for our own health. That said, going around coughing in everyone's face is rude, crude, and socially unacceptable - whether you have a communicable disease or not.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4434 on: November 24, 2020, 09:30:34 PM »
Why is that unlikely?

They are attempting to have good data so they can make informed decisions, which is why the fed.gov standardized the COVID death coding rules.  Why would they not have states go back and clean up the data sets?  The death certificates are all computerized.

Just because you make a simple declarative statement and wish *really* hard, doesn't make it true.

Do you have any proof they corrected the numbers or are you just really wishing hard?

The Director of the Illinois Department of Public Health, Dr. Ezike, explaining earlier this year how Illinois does things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95VEAQ4Cqps&fbclid=IwAR0WehVdpjIBLef3cw8RFa0FnGU8xmuc2W8Dpjs5SaAUBKGFnWR_wCvtZcw

Why don't you pony up if you have proof they've changed things?

Maybe they have but living here and being somewhat engaged in paying attention I haven't heard of any changes.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:17:32 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4435 on: November 24, 2020, 10:08:45 PM »
Effectiveness Of Masks Questioned With New Study Showing High Death Rate For Stormtroopers
https://babylonbee.com/news/effectiveness-of-masks-questioned-with-new-study-showing-high-death-rate-for-stormtroopers

I guess that would be classified as excess mortality.   =D

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4436 on: November 25, 2020, 08:17:35 AM »

‘Come and take it’: Lexington coffee shop defies order to close
https://www.wave3.com/2020/11/24/come-take-it-lexington-coffee-shop-defies-order-close/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4437 on: November 25, 2020, 09:03:57 AM »
You can't  make this *expletive deleted*it up

Just in time for the holidays. Now, you can have Gov. Andy Beshear with you at your home.

The Kentucky governor has been reminding the commonwealth to mask up and remind others to do the same. But if you're looking for an easy way to send the message to your neighbors, now you can do so courtesy of a graphic design company.

He's watching: How to get your Gov. Beshear yard sign to remind people to 'mask up'
https://www.wlky.com/article/hes-watching-how-to-get-your-gov-beshear-yard-sign-to-remind-people-to-mask-up/34778726

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4438 on: November 25, 2020, 09:07:50 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4439 on: November 25, 2020, 09:16:24 AM »
Imagine the reaction if Trump did something like that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4440 on: November 25, 2020, 03:00:19 PM »
Imagine the reaction if Trump did something like that.

Or if Trump breathed oxygen, while being a carbon-based lifeform.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4441 on: November 25, 2020, 03:15:10 PM »
So this was interesting to me. It may be common knowledge that I just haven't paid attention to, but now that I have the beer virus, I have to fill out a state health dept form regarding my contacts. All they want is people from 48 hours or less from my first symptoms, and only if I was in contact with them at less than six feet for more than 15 minutes.

The latter is what was interesting. Considering all the Karen's that yell at people for passing them on the street without a mask, it seems the health authorities only care about that close contact if it's for more than 15 minutes. That's a relatively long time when you're out and about. It would be difficult to remain less than six feet from some total stranger at the grocery store for more than 15 minutes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4442 on: November 25, 2020, 03:37:37 PM »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4443 on: November 25, 2020, 04:30:20 PM »
Our elite governor has decreed that we shall wear masks in our own home if someone not in our immediate family enters.  Same with our cars.  We are not to have more than ten people over for family gatherings.
We have to wear masks at a restaurant whenever we are not actively eating.  It used to be once a diner reached their table, they could take their mask off.  No one really knows now if we are supposed to put the mask back on between bites of food or sips of a beverage.
It's really a Newsome-esque mandate.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4444 on: November 25, 2020, 04:33:45 PM »
Our elite governor has decreed that we shall wear masks in our own home if someone not in our immediate family enters.  Same with our cars.  We are not to have more than ten people over for family gatherings.
We have to wear masks at a restaurant whenever we are not actively eating.  It used to be once a diner reached their table, they could take their mask off.  No one really knows now if we are supposed to put the mask back on between bites of food or sips of a beverage.

- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4445 on: November 25, 2020, 06:06:23 PM »

I love how they word those things, to let you know you can remove the mask to drink, and so forth. It's as if we're going to look at the rules, see no exemption for drinking or eating or something, and just try to force the stuff through/around/under the mask. They think of us as children, apparently.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4446 on: November 25, 2020, 06:12:40 PM »
I love how they word those things, to let you know you can remove the mask to drink, and so forth. It's as if we're going to look at the rules, see no exemption for drinking or eating or something, and just try to force the stuff through/around/under the mask. They think of us as children, apparently.

:facepalm:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-israel-mask-idUSKBN22U1ZO
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4447 on: November 25, 2020, 09:54:27 PM »
Another one of these:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/denver-mayor-tweets-stay-home-avoid-travel-then-he-takes-flight-for-family-thanksgiving-report-says

Time's Person of the Year should be the Hypocritical Covid Karen.

He says he's sorry. It was a choice between hypocrisy and hypocrisy  :facepalm:

NEW: Denver Mayor Hancock apologies for flying out of state for Thanksgiving with family while telling Denverites to avoid travel. Hancock says he saw it as a choice between flying there or family flying to Colorado. #9NEWS #COVID19colorado pic.twitter.com/gpr1EMB9r6

— Kyle Clark (@KyleClark) November 25, 2020
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/11/25/denver-mayor-humbly-asks-you-to-forgive-decisions-borne-of-my-heart-after-he-flies-for-thanksgiving/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4448 on: November 25, 2020, 11:04:04 PM »
He says he's sorry. It was a choice between hypocrisy and hypocrisy  :facepalm:

More like a choice between hypocrisy and ysircopyh
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?