Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 444168 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4475 on: December 01, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »
One of the heads of Warp Speed said everyone who wants a vaccine should be able to have one by June '21. I wouldn't be surprised if more Dem. politicians go Cuomo, and try to slow things down. They don't want to give up the fearmongering.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4476 on: December 01, 2020, 02:20:17 PM »
Based on what? The last time we shuttered everything for most of a year, and had race riots combined with anarcho-Marxist-fascist arson parties all summer long?
Okay fistful, I'll bite.  Do you really believe that the "excess" deaths this year were due to isolation, economic disaster, general upheaval, despair, and people putting off medical treatments out of fear?

Keep in mind that most of those early deaths being assigned to COVID happened in a clump in April, not in the fall.  The race riots and arson parties didn't play into them at all.  Back then we were only a few weeks over the "two weeks to flatten the curve" lie, not shuttered for most of a year.

Yeah, I'm not buying it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4478 on: December 01, 2020, 06:29:45 PM »
Okay fistful, I'll bite.  Do you really believe that the "excess" deaths this year were due to isolation, economic disaster, general upheaval, despair, and people putting off medical treatments out of fear?

I never said all of them were. Are you saying none of them were?

You asked for competing explanations, and I pointed out some rather obvious things one might expect would lead to higher mortality rates in this rather unusual year. Are you telling me you really didn't look at those factors? You really don't think more people might die under those conditions?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4479 on: December 01, 2020, 07:03:46 PM »
I never said all of them were. Are you saying none of them were?

You asked for competing explanations, and I pointed out some rather obvious things one might expect would lead to higher mortality rates in this rather unusual year. Are you telling me you really didn't look at those factors? You really don't think more people might die under those conditions?

Those are certainly all contributing factors, but I have a hard time believing they killed that many over and above the norm.
I’m aware that all of those things have contributed to deaths. Anecdotally, today I attended a funeral for a cousin who committed suicide. I don’t know exactly what drove him to it, but can’t help but guess that there was a reason he did it in 2020.

I still do not think these contributing factors explain a significant portion of the increased number of deaths, especially the spike in April.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4480 on: December 01, 2020, 09:41:41 PM »
I still do not think these contributing factors explain a significant portion of the increased number of deaths, especially the spike in April.

Governor Cuomo + nursing homes
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4482 on: December 01, 2020, 10:47:01 PM »
Can you show me these increased deaths? I'm seeing all other deaths down so we are looking at a normal increase that happens every year.

Just a fact. Almost 90% of those that died in hospitals had a DNR. Would that change the numbers? I don't know.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

JN01

• friend
« Reply #4483 on: December 01, 2020, 11:36:00 PM »

Just a fact. Almost 90% of those that died in hospitals had a DNR. 

Those DNRs didn't arrive in big full boxes like mail-in ballots did they? 

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #4484 on: December 02, 2020, 10:13:32 AM »
Those DNRs didn't arrive in big full boxes like mail-in ballots did they? 

That made me chuckle.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4485 on: December 02, 2020, 10:15:43 AM »
And... the primary work site where the rest of my team works is closed today due to a positive Kung Flu case.

We were already scheduled to have an online meeting, and I'm in a separate location, so no ill effect for me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4486 on: December 02, 2020, 11:04:52 AM »
And... the primary work site where the rest of my team works is closed today due to a positive Kung Flu case.

We were already scheduled to have an online meeting, and I'm in a separate location, so no ill effect for me.
None at least until that solar flare hits D.C.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4487 on: December 02, 2020, 11:22:04 AM »
None at least until that solar flare hits D.C.   =D

You make that sound as if it's a bad thing, or something.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4488 on: December 02, 2020, 11:25:53 AM »
I've had a cold for the last three days.  CVS is offering beer virus tests but I'm too lazy to go get one.
My stepson brought it to our Thanksgiving dinner.  His wife and one of his stepdaughters (my step-granddaughter?) got sick the day before Thanksgiving and couldn't attend.  I'm sure he brought their bugs it with him.
His wife and stepdaughter have since recovered but he came down with the bug.  Serves him right for giving it to me.  =D

SWMBO now has whatever bug has laid me low.  Fever last night, chills, aches, pains, etc.  My bug has gotten a bit worse, but still milder than some colds I've had.
Stepson's wife is taking him to the urgent care tonight.  He's having trouble breathing.  It might be due more to his weight as he's a large guy.  On the plus side he tested negative for the beer virus as did his wife earlier.  That means SWMBO and I likely just have a cold.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:00:48 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4489 on: December 02, 2020, 01:59:25 PM »
I can honestly, 100%, no armchair warrior stuff, say that if I were in this store while it happened, I would have put hands on the guy and at the very least thrown him into a display case.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/12/02/look-ma-a-mask-nazi-video-of-whacked-out-masked-old-man-harassing-threatening-woman-for-not-wearing-a-mask-is-nuts-watch/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4490 on: December 02, 2020, 02:35:36 PM »
I can honestly, 100%, no armchair warrior stuff, say that if I were in this store while it happened, I would have put hands on the guy and at the very least thrown him into a display case.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/12/02/look-ma-a-mask-nazi-video-of-whacked-out-masked-old-man-harassing-threatening-woman-for-not-wearing-a-mask-is-nuts-watch/

Mr. Green Shirt wouldn't be doing that to a 6'4" 250-lb biker.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4491 on: December 02, 2020, 06:47:34 PM »
He needs to be drinking his milk and taking calcium supplements so that he has good, strong teeth.  He is going to need strong teeth if he refuses to mind his own damn business.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4492 on: December 02, 2020, 06:50:36 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4493 on: December 02, 2020, 07:08:57 PM »
He needs to be drinking his milk and taking calcium supplements so that he has good, strong teeth.  He is going to need strong teeth if he refuses to mind his own damn business.

I guess, because of the type of store it looked to be in the video, there were no actual men in there - just some males. Because I can't fathom that any man would stand by and let him do that to that woman. At the very least, get between them and shield her. It took another woman to scold him away.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4494 on: December 02, 2020, 07:15:34 PM »
Another

EXCLUSIVE: Austin Mayor Steve Adler told the public to "stay home if you can…this is not the time to relax" in a Nov. 9 Facebook video. He did not disclose that he was at a timeshare in Cabo San Lucas after flying on a private jet with eight family members and guests. pic.twitter.com/w1uZahGfpM

— Tony Plohetski (@tplohetski) December 2, 2020

The Mexico trip with family came the day after Adler hosted a small wedding for his daughter at a trendy South Congress Hotel with 20 attendees. Adler says he consulted with health authorities prior and that guests had to undergo COVID-19 testing and practice social distancing.

— Tony Plohetski (@tplohetski) December 2, 2020
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/12/02/guess-where-this-dem-mayor-was-while-reminding-citys-residents-to-stay-home-and-this-is-not-the-time-to-relax/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4495 on: December 03, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2020/12/03/efficacy-of-surgical-masks.aspx

The first randomized controlled trial of more than 6,000 individuals to assess the effectiveness of surgical face masks against SARS-CoV-2 infection found masks did not statistically significantly reduce the incidence of infection

Among mask wearers, 1.8% ended up testing positive for SARS-CoV-2, compared to 2.1% among controls. When they removed the people who did not adhere to proper mask use, the results remained the same — 1.8%, which suggests adherence makes no significant difference

Among those who reported wearing their face mask “exactly as instructed,” 2% tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 compared to 2.1% of the controls

1.4% tested positive for antibodies at the end of the month-long study compared to 1.8% of controls

0.5% in the mask group and 0.6% tested positive for one or more respiratory viruses other than SARS-CoV-2

Disclaimer: not my area of expertise.  I haven't studied the Danmask-19 Trial.

From Wikipedia:
Annals of Internal Medicine is an academic medical journal published by the American College of Physicians (ACP). It is one of the most widely cited and influential specialty medical journals in the world.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4496 on: December 03, 2020, 04:35:42 PM »
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2020/12/03/efficacy-of-surgical-masks.aspx

Disclaimer: not my area of expertise.  I haven't studied the Danmask-19 Trial.

From Wikipedia:

This study does not support the narrative.  How long before the conclusion is rewritten in favor of the narrative, or before it just disappears?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4497 on: December 03, 2020, 06:32:53 PM »
This study does not support the narrative.  How long before the conclusion is rewritten in favor of the narrative, or before it just disappears?

I'm surprised it doesn't come with a disclaimer that Joe Biden won the election.  ;/

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4498 on: December 03, 2020, 06:48:39 PM »
Science is only science when it supports the right truth.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4499 on: December 03, 2020, 06:49:57 PM »
The Narrative is Settled
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes