Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440088 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2020, 08:45:45 AM »
their TSP gains and considering how Trump was affecting their bottom line in the long run.  Those gains are gone, some even more so.

But those are short term gains. To judge where a TSP or 401K is, you would need to look at some ten year average starting at Trump -1 year and Trump +9 years. My TSP is as of this morning, still up ~$60K from just before Trump got in. I'm at a retirement ratio of only 50% stocks, so certainly someone who is 90% stocks might be negative their pre-Trump balance now. However ten years from now, they will have recovered those losses plus made more gains.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2020, 08:48:49 AM »
But those are short term gains. To judge where a TSP or 401K is, you would need to look at some ten year average starting at Trump -1 year and Trump +9 years. My TSP is as of this morning, still up ~$60K from just before Trump got in. I'm at a retirement ratio of only 50% stocks, so certainly someone who is 90% stocks might be negative their pre-Trump balance now. However ten years from now, they will have recovered those losses plus made more gains.

Most people think short term, but I know quite a few who've made 5 digit gains in the last year or two under Trump.

The media is going to use this as a stick to beat Trump with. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2020, 08:50:35 AM »
Are people blaming Trump for the market being down?

I know the Democrats will try to, but I'm not seeing people attacking Trump for the issue.

It would be like blaming President Bush for the market drops after 9/11. This is more likely to cause people to rally to Trump, than against him, I would think.

Yes, they are blaming him. He made a few media statements this week about how the markets are fine and the virus is contained. That might have been his ‘read my lips’ moment.

Bernie is going to be a disaster.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2020, 08:52:13 AM »
Yes, they are blaming him. He made a few media statements this week about how the markets are fine and the virus is contained. That might have been his ‘read my lips’ moment.

Exactly. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2020, 08:57:10 AM »

I would submit that the markets ARE fine. Every once in a while, you need to purge emotional investors. While it hurts a little bit to look at my retirement accounts today, it's no worse than any other corrections over the last few decades, where I either did nothing, or did the opposite of the panicking people. Five or so years later,  I was better off than I was during the correction. Anyone who stays the course now will also be fine.

I do expect this correction to potentially stabilize/reverse in the short term, then dip again when all the multinationals post their quarterly losses due to supply chain issues related to the beer virus panic.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2020, 08:59:47 AM »
I would submit that the markets ARE fine. Every once in a while, you need to purge emotional investors. While it hurts a little bit to look at my retirement accounts today, it's no worse than any other corrections over the last few decades, where I either did nothing, or did the opposite of the panicking people. Five or so years later,  I was better off than I was during the correction. Anyone who stays the course now will also be fine.

I do expect this correction to potentially stabilize/reverse in the short term, then dip again when all the multinationals post their quarterly losses due to supply chain issues related to the beer virus panic.

I don't think they're done coming down.  My prediction is we see an exponential rise in positives in the next 7 days, and at least another couple percentage loss off the markets in the same time frame.
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2020, 09:03:20 AM »
I don't think they're done coming down.  My prediction is we see an exponential rise in positives in the next 7 days, and at least another couple percentage loss off the markets in the same time frame.

I should clarify - I also think they are still coming down, and am including first quarter reporting in that  guess  since March is a day away. so we might see drops through next month. I'm thinking a rise after that and then another dip when the 2nd Quarter numbers come in for the multinationals, so Summer might get ugly again.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2020, 09:11:44 AM »
If they remove barriers to vaccine testing and production, the Feds would have to indemnify the vaccine manufacturers or bring it under the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.  Otherwise, the manufactures are going to be sued up the wazoo when any side effects or complications of the vaccine occur.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2020, 09:12:53 AM »

Everyone exaggerates political talk.  Trump would have a "read my lips" moment if he suddenly decided he didn't want to build a wall and signed an amnesty bill.  Or went back on another key 2016 promise.  Something like this doesn't rise to that level.

That won't stop Democrats from trying to frame it that way, but they do that on a daily basis.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2020, 09:14:51 AM »
If they remove barriers to vaccine testing and production, the Feds would have to indemnify the vaccine manufacturers or bring it under the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.  Otherwise, the manufactures are going to be sued up the wazoo when any side effects or complications of the vaccine occur.
If memory serves, that was what I heard recommended back in the 90's.  I can't remember what was done, but it wasn't that.  The number of vaccine makers dropped off quite a bit.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2020, 09:15:34 AM »
I don't think they're done coming down.  My prediction is we see an exponential rise in positives in the next 7 days, and at least another couple percentage loss off the markets in the same time frame.

We're not.

I'm thinking we'll see another 5 to 10% loss in the overall market indexes over the next 2 or so weeks... IF the virus maintains its current course. If it increases the speed of spread or becomes something more lethal, all bets are off.

But, this is a correction that the market really did need. This isn't a bad thing at all. It's a "letting the air out of the bubble for reasons OTHER than investors panicking that the bubble has gotten too big and unstable."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:27:39 AM by Jamisjockey »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2020, 09:28:07 AM »
Thread title changed to more accurately describe the discussion taking place.
JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2020, 09:36:08 AM »
Among things to be thankful for:

1) This is happening NOW, rather than October, where panicky people can better influence the election.
2) This is highlighting some dangers of "global supply chains" at the same time that we have an administration trying to repatriate a lot of business/manufacturing
3) Our biggest geo-political foe is likely to bear the brunt of #2 to the benefit of the American worker.

Now, #3 may cause some other issues as China might start getting frisky when its people start getting angry at their government, but unless we are (some of our leaders are) willing to accept Chinese hegemony in the world, that was going to happen at some point.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2020, 09:40:56 AM »

2) This is highlighting some dangers of "global supply chains" at the same time that we have an administration trying to repatriate a lot of business/manufacturing

I'm kind of hoping that something good that will come of this is the US waking up to where our stuff comes from. Repatriating the production of stuff, even if it means paying 10% more, would not be a bad thing.

We don't need to stop international trade, but it would certainly be good to look at some targeted goods and services that would be better produced here (even if they are also produced elsewhere), and maybe give the producers some incentives to do it.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2020, 09:52:14 AM »
I'm kind of hoping that something good that will come of this is the US waking up to where our stuff comes from. Repatriating the production of stuff, even if it means paying 10% more, would not be a bad thing.

We don't need to stop international trade, but it would certainly be good to look at some targeted goods and services that would be better produced here (even if they are also produced elsewhere), and maybe give the producers some incentives to do it.

Having at least a skeletal infrastructure for necessary good production in our country ought to be the minimum we would accept. At least it would give us a better chance of being able to scale up, should something disruptive happen. This situation is not the worst that could happen, and we ought to use it as a wake-up call.

I don't have a lot of faith in human nature's ability to learn and apply lessons. I fear that after this is over we'll try to go back to exactly how it used to be until something worse comes along.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2020, 09:55:33 AM »
N/M
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2020, 09:56:50 AM »
Having at least a skeletal infrastructure for necessary good production in our country ought to be the minimum we would accept. At least it would give us a better chance of being able to scale up, should something disruptive happen. This situation is not the worst that could happen, and we ought to use it as a wake-up call.

I don't have a lot of faith in human nature's ability to learn and apply lessons. I fear that after this is over we'll try to go back to exactly how it used to be until something worse comes along.

It's a capitalist market.  Unless government policy makes it economically unfavorable, companies will outsource operations to lower cost areas.  Any company that doesn't do this risks being buried by competitors who do.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2020, 10:03:13 AM »
Unless government policy makes it economically unfavorable, companies will outsource operations to lower cost areas.
look at some targeted goods and services that would be better produced here (even if they are also produced elsewhere), and maybe give the producers some incentives to do it.
I think people are very gung-ho for these kind of things when it's their guy in charge, but that doesn't last forever.
Things can get swampy real quick - Solyndra anyone?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2020, 10:05:29 AM »

We're not.

I'm thinking we'll see another 5 to 10% loss in the overall market indexes over the next 2 or so weeks... IF the virus maintains its current course. If it increases the speed of spread or becomes something more lethal, all bets are off.

But, this is a correction that the market really did need. This isn't a bad thing at all. It's a "letting the air out of the bubble for reasons OTHER than investors panicking that the bubble has gotten too big and unstable."
I believe you are on the best case scenario of the spectrum, and I’m on the worst case scenario end of it... people should be ready for something somewhere in between.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2020, 10:09:52 AM »

Quote from: JamisJockey
Most people think short term, but I know quite a few who've made 5 digit gains in the last year or two under Trump.

The media is going to use this as a stick to beat Trump with.

Ben beat me to it, but those gains are absolutely NOT gone.  Most of my TSP  is in the L2040 fund, which was $24.69 a share on 21 Jan 2016, and is $36.26 a share yesterday.  Those .gov employees are still, after the coronavirus drop, way better off with Trump.

I think the market's got a little more to fall, but will be pretty well recovered by Oct, so Trump can still use it as a campaign item.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #195 on: February 28, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
Couple of other things that I heard on Fox Business while walking the dog this morning:

1) On the markets, an interesting conversation on how algorithms are affecting things right now. They weren't as prevalent back in 2008, but now may be nudging some "sell" decisions, perhaps significantly so.

2) Pet medications. I wasn't even thinking about this. They were clear that there is no shortage now and there may not be one, but these meds/med components are offshored just like human meds. Coincidentally, I had it marked on my calendar to order heartworm and flea tabs from the vet for Steve, because I just ran out this month.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2020, 10:13:24 AM »
Drive through testing seems like a good idea as opposed to an hour in a crowded waiting room. Apparently results are available in two days.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/south-korea-drive-through-coronavirus-test-facilities-12477046
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2020, 10:15:43 AM »
the L2040 fund,

L2040? Damn young kid whippersnappers with a long time horizon!  :laugh:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2020, 10:51:28 AM »
"I believe you are on the best case scenario of the spectrum, and I’m on the worst case scenario end of it... people should be ready for something somewhere in between."

OK, then I'll sit at my desk and white knuckle it while drinking heavily while you run around in circles flapping your arms and screeching about how the sky is falling.

Between the two of us we should have it covered.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2020, 10:52:46 AM »
I need to get Seren's flea/tick meds ordered.

I take her off of them in the winter. I keep her on heartworm all year long.