Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440208 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »
It's a capitalist market.  Unless government policy makes it economically unfavorable, companies will outsource operations to lower cost areas.  Any company that doesn't do this risks being buried by competitors who do.
Govt imposed costs warp the market decisions by quite a bit.  Keep corporate taxes lower and keep the administrative cost of labor under control and the US looks a lot more favorable. 

When people like Obama and his group come in, they always increase taxes, increase the regulatory burden, and increase the liability/administrative cost of employees. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2020, 11:15:49 AM »
Govt imposed costs warp the market decisions by quite a bit.  Keep corporate taxes lower and keep the administrative cost of labor under control and the US looks a lot more favorable. 

When people like Obama and his group come in, they always increase taxes, increase the regulatory burden, and increase the liability/administrative cost of employees. 

Another lesser known one is that the government subsidizes international shipping, such that it's actually cheaper to ship something (small) from China, than from Columbia, SC.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »
"I believe you are on the best case scenario of the spectrum, and I’m on the worst case scenario end of it... people should be ready for something somewhere in between."

OK, then I'll sit at my desk and white knuckle it while drinking heavily while you run around in circles flapping your arms and screeching about how the sky is falling.

Between the two of us we should have it covered.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Shoot, I'm all smiles and giggles today. At 9am, I was up 6 figures, but that has fallen to very high 5 figures. The bigger the market crash, the more I'm going to rake in.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2020, 02:48:27 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/02/27/who-says-coronavirus-entered-iran-unseen-and-undetected-warns-outbreak-could-be-even-worse.html?__twitter_impression=true
WHO says coronavirus entered Iran 'undetected,' warns outbreak could be worse than is known

The majority of Iran's cases have been linked to Qom, a major religious destination for *expletive deleted*it pilgrims 85 miles south of Tehran, Iran's health ministry spokesman said on state television Tuesday. An official from Qom claimed Monday that 50 people had died in the city. Tehran quickly rejected the figure and denied hiding anything.

Iran hasn't suspended flights from China, one of its top trading partners, despite nearly all of its Middle Eastern neighbors doing so.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2020, 05:23:19 PM »
Shoot, I'm all smiles and giggles today. At 9am, I was up 6 figures, but that has fallen to very high 5 figures. The bigger the market crash, the more I'm going to rake in.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: I was up 65000 for the day at 9am, I ended up only being 7K up at the end of the day.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: There was messaging of the MFing FED stepping in to at at 1:30 (my time) today, and all of my dreams of cocaine and hookers went to *expletive deleted*it.
Still made a nice 45k for the week.
I need a drink.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2020, 07:10:38 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/02/27/who-says-coronavirus-entered-iran-unseen-and-undetected-warns-outbreak-could-be-even-worse.html?__twitter_impression=true
WHO says coronavirus entered Iran 'undetected,' warns outbreak could be worse than is known

Iran is extra *expletive deleted*ed.  Sounds like it’s out of control there... reports are the mortality rate is high teens.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2020, 07:17:22 PM »
I would expect nothing less from a backwards, third world shithole like Iran.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2020, 08:02:02 PM »
Yeah, apparently like three or four high level people in Iran's government have the virus. At least that we know of. How crappy of a response do you have to have to get your top leadership infected?

In the meantime, the stories about American "preppers" are starting:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/pandemic-preppers-arm-up-person-with-the-most-ammo-wins
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »
I would expect nothing less from a backwards, third world shithole like Iran.

It's just sad that Islam put them into shithole status.  Imagine the place with no revolution.  It's not hard,  there's pictures..

Current situation sucks for Haji Bob on the street,  but reap the whirlwind.

/ thread drift

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #210 on: February 29, 2020, 06:45:30 AM »
It's just sad that Islam put them into shithole status.  Imagine the place with no revolution.  It's not hard,  there's pictures..

Current situation sucks for Haji Bob on the street,  but reap the whirlwind.

/ thread drift

Girls in mini skirts going to college in Tehran?

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #211 on: February 29, 2020, 08:42:25 AM »

[img]https://allthatsinteresting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/shah-iran-tehran-students-copy.jpg

I guess the Shah was kind of an authoritarian ahole, but he sure seems to have been loads better than what came later.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #212 on: February 29, 2020, 09:35:32 AM »
I guess the Shah was kind of an authoritarian ahole, but he sure seems to have been loads better than what came later.

Most revolutions are the act of kicking out one authoritarian ahole and replacing them with another, often worse, authoritarian ahole
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 01:00:16 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #213 on: February 29, 2020, 09:35:56 AM »

Even dictators have their good qualities says Bernie.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #214 on: February 29, 2020, 09:44:05 AM »
Most revolutions are an act of kicking out one authoritarian ahole and replacing them with another, often worse, authoritarian ahole

This right here.  And the USA has a proven record of helping the worse of two evils get into power...
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #215 on: February 29, 2020, 09:56:59 AM »
https://ncov2019.live/

This is kind of the best clearing house for raw data on the spread.
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #216 on: February 29, 2020, 10:39:05 AM »
Interesting satellite imagery over China. SWAG with just the imagery and no data, but that looks like a pretty big delta and a big dropoff in movement and activity.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/china-cornvirus-coincides-plummet-nitrogen-dioxide

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #217 on: February 29, 2020, 10:49:49 AM »
Interesting satellite imagery over China. SWAG with just the imagery and no data, but that looks like a pretty big delta and a big dropoff in movement and activity.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/china-cornvirus-coincides-plummet-nitrogen-dioxide

Unsurprising.  This is why the new green deal is such bullshit. The US could go to 0 emissions, and it would be less than 1% of the worlds total emissions, which is mostly led by China and India.
JD

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #218 on: February 29, 2020, 12:55:58 PM »

That's the one.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #220 on: February 29, 2020, 01:34:13 PM »
Looks like we just had the first US death. While it's just one person (RIP, of course), being the first death will likely up potential emotional panic.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #221 on: February 29, 2020, 01:37:18 PM »
If only people over on that side of the mountains were as concerned about a measles epidemic or flu deaths as they are on this. I am sure there will be more fear mongering as the day goes on by the left and others. I expect the shelves to be stripped bare on the west side PDQ.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #222 on: February 29, 2020, 01:37:28 PM »
^^^The Seattle-King County Health Department is holding a press conference at 4 pm to release more details.  I am guessing it was someone elderly or had pre-existing disease burdens, but it will be interesting to learn the details.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #223 on: February 29, 2020, 01:41:08 PM »
And in other news, 2 patients under quarantine in Spokane in a special pathogens unit have been released back into the wild, or we could say 50% of people under observation here just to make it sound monumental.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #224 on: February 29, 2020, 01:46:14 PM »
Wouldn't surprised me one bit, if they haven't already, if they start screaming racism over any "POC"s held in quarantine cages.
- Calvin and Hobbes