Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440071 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #275 on: March 02, 2020, 10:50:10 AM »
Also just heard on the news: In Iran, a religious ceremony is going on right now that requires pilgrims to kiss and lick some shrine. And they're doing it.

Of course they are. Allah demands it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2020, 10:51:36 AM »
30 years ago we didn't have the world connected by air travel that could take a person around the globe in 24 hours.

Huh? People weren't traveling all over the world in 1990? I was traveling to tropical dive locations during that decade, and all the planes were full.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #277 on: March 02, 2020, 10:52:27 AM »
Also just heard on the news: In Iran, a religious ceremony is going on right now that requires pilgrims to kiss and lick some shrine. And they're doing it.

In the new 14th century germs/viruses don't exist just like they didn't in the old 14th century
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #278 on: March 02, 2020, 11:18:48 AM »
In my weekly checking of panic purchasing, despite the big news push telling people not to buy masks, if anything, that must have increased the desire for them. Still either sold out or at ridiculous prices.

Auguson Farms is now quoting 1-2 MONTHS for order fulfillment. Prices seem to be normal, but they're obviously not having sales right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2020, 11:42:40 AM »
Hearing hand-sanitizer is getting hard to find. Can't confirm this myself.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2020, 12:03:12 PM »
In my weekly checking of panic purchasing, despite the big news push telling people not to buy masks, if anything, that must have increased the desire for them. Still either sold out or at ridiculous prices.

Auguson Farms is now quoting 1-2 MONTHS for order fulfillment. Prices seem to be normal, but they're obviously not having sales right now.
I saw that also.  A week or more ago, it wasn't all their products, but some of them.  Mostly the "one month supply" type packages.  Mountain House was like that also.  Some of the less common cans were still available. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2020, 12:06:39 PM »

Nothing causes shortages like the rumor of shortages . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #282 on: March 02, 2020, 12:09:56 PM »
Huh? People weren't traveling all over the world in 1990? I was traveling to tropical dive locations during that decade, and all the planes were full.

Yes, but nothing like today.  Flying is cheaper, easier, and more common than 30 years ago.  Now, average income brackets can travel from the US to China non-stop easily.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #283 on: March 02, 2020, 12:11:39 PM »
I saw that also.  A week or more ago, it wasn't all their products, but some of them.  Mostly the "one month supply" type packages.  Mountain House was like that also.  Some of the less common cans were still available. 

I have to say that Auguson Farms and a few other suppliers that I use/monitor have earned my respect by not jacking up their prices, when they easily could, just like 90% of the sellers on Amazon. While I need nothing from them now, I will certainly remember them when I need to restock stuff in the future. I have to say that Home Despot has been good about selling at their regular prices. They may be out of stock, but respirators and stuff are all listed at their regular prices.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2020, 12:30:04 PM »
I have to say that Auguson Farms and a few other suppliers that I use/monitor have earned my respect by not jacking up their prices, when they easily could, just like 90% of the sellers on Amazon. While I need nothing from them now, I will certainly remember them when I need to restock stuff in the future. I have to say that Home Despot has been good about selling at their regular prices. They may be out of stock, but respirators and stuff are all listed at their regular prices.
I'm mixed on that.  Holding prices in face of rapidly increasing demand just means that items will be unavailable.  That can be worse than something being expensive.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2020, 01:09:17 PM »
Not from the ME

The leader of a controversial religious sect at the center of the coronavirus outbreak in South Korea apologized Monday as the city of Seoul has started a murder investigation into the group, saying the church refused to cooperate with efforts to stop the virus.

Coronavirus-linked South Korea sect leader apologizes for virus spread amid murder probe
https://www.foxnews.com/world/coronavirus-south-korea-outbreak-controversial-religious-group
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2020, 01:31:37 PM »
Hearing hand-sanitizer is getting hard to find. Can't confirm this myself.

I stopped at the store at lunch for children's tylenol.

I saw no evidence of hoarding except I saw a higher than normal number of shoppers with bottled water. Might have been a statistical anomaly or people prepping, but there were no empty spots on the shelves, for now.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2020, 01:36:18 PM »
Big shopping day for me today as it's my day off.

Stores (Costco, Trader Joes and local grocery) were very busy and stocked well.

If needed I could hunker down here for a month. Maybe not a very balanced diet but a full belly every day.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #290 on: March 02, 2020, 02:06:33 PM »
Safe bet none of the dems will get asked this
I'm sure they're start running the story that Trump is endangering people by holding rallies

Reporter in crowded room asks Trump if it’s ‘safe or appropriate’ for him to hold campaign rallies because of the coronavirus
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/03/02/reporter-in-crowded-room-asks-trump-if-its-safe-or-appropriate-for-him-to-hold-campaign-rallies-because-of-the-coronavirus/
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #291 on: March 02, 2020, 02:16:02 PM »
I'm sure they're start running the story that Trump is endangering people by holding rallies

Reporter in crowded room asks Trump if it’s ‘safe or appropriate’ for him to hold campaign rallies because of the coronavirus
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/03/02/reporter-in-crowded-room-asks-trump-if-its-safe-or-appropriate-for-him-to-hold-campaign-rallies-because-of-the-coronavirus/

Of course it's fine for them to hold the rallies. Their sense of smugness at being the woke people, overlaid with their red hot rage, will protect them from everything.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #292 on: March 02, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »

Of course it's fine for them to hold the rallies. Their sense of smugness at being the woke people, overlaid with their red hot rage, will protect them from everything.

In your best He She Transgender Whatever Man Woman It Something voice

BY THE POWER OF WOKENESS!
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #293 on: March 02, 2020, 03:03:18 PM »
Yes, but nothing like today.  Flying is cheaper, easier, and more common than 30 years ago.  Now, average income brackets can travel from the US to China non-stop easily.

Maybe for pilots flying is easier today. Back in the 1960s, 70s, 80s, and 90s I loved to fly. Now I hate it. And for us plebeians back in the steerage cabin, flying is much less comfortable than 30 years ago, and the entire airport/TSA experience makes flying in general significantly more difficult and unpleasant. Thirty years ago I would fly any time I had the opportunity. I had frequent flyer accounts with four or five airlines. Today I fly only as an absolute last resort.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #294 on: March 02, 2020, 04:16:15 PM »
Maybe for pilots flying is easier today. Back in the 1960s, 70s, 80s, and 90s I loved to fly. Now I hate it. And for us plebeians back in the steerage cabin, flying is much less comfortable than 30 years ago, and the entire airport/TSA experience makes flying in general significantly more difficult and unpleasant. Thirty years ago I would fly any time I had the opportunity. I had frequent flyer accounts with four or five airlines. Today I fly only as an absolute last resort.

You're missing the point.

Today's world is better/quicker connected with quicker and cheaper transportation compared to 30 years ago.  I didn't say it was a better experience for passengers.  I can get to every major city in the world in 24 hours or less.  And I can get to every major city fairly cheaply if I plan it right.

Today's quick, easy, convenient, cheap transportation makes containing a virus like Covid-19 nearly impossible.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #295 on: March 02, 2020, 05:16:46 PM »
You're missing the point.

Today's world is better/quicker connected with quicker and cheaper transportation compared to 30 years ago.  I didn't say it was a better experience for passengers.  I can get to every major city in the world in 24 hours or less.  And I can get to every major city fairly cheaply if I plan it right.

Today's quick, easy, convenient, cheap transportation makes containing a virus like Covid-19 nearly impossible.

NO BACK IN MY DAY, WE RODE AROUND IN SUITS AND TIES ON CONNIES AND THE PILOT CAME OUT AND TALKED TO THE PASSENGERS AND SMOKED A PIPE!!!  SHUT UP, WHIPPERSNAPPER!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #296 on: March 02, 2020, 05:17:34 PM »

Tomorrow is super tuesday...so...

The Irony will be if Bernie or Bloomberg end up with it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #297 on: March 02, 2020, 05:23:17 PM »
Sure some on the left will be upset about this

Dow up 1294 points today, biggest Dow point gain ever

— Jesse Rodriguez (@JesseRodriguez) March 2, 2020
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/03/02/somebody-please-check-on-paul-krugman-dow-closes-with-the-largest-point-gain-in-a-single-day-ever/
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #298 on: March 02, 2020, 05:55:37 PM »
Panic buying has begun.  Local Costco has been wiped clean of toilet paper.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #299 on: March 02, 2020, 06:01:45 PM »
Panic buying has begun.  Local Costco has been wiped clean of toilet paper.

Heading to Costco in a bit. Will check TP supply among other things
- Calvin and Hobbes