Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 439972 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #476 on: March 09, 2020, 09:07:17 AM »
THE VIRUS IS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/03/09/wuhan-isnt-a-race-you-tool-msnbcs-david-gura-claims-anyone-using-wuhan-virus-is-racist-and-guess-how-that-goes-over/

Best comment from the link:

"Yes, I'll have the Cuban sandwich with a side of Spanish rice, please."

"Out of my restaurant, racist!"

"What? All I was doing was—"

"You don't have to justify your racism with me, bigot! Out!"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #477 on: March 09, 2020, 09:10:06 AM »
In the meantime, another big drop in the market, and the 10 year Treasury is now ~0.4%, and the 30 year has dropped below 1%. Gold is approaching $2000/oz. Holy cow!

Of course this is partially due to oil, so what's happening with the market, etc. might need to be a separate thread.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #478 on: March 09, 2020, 09:19:43 AM »

Of course this is partially due to oil, so what's happening with the market, etc. might need to be a separate thread.

There is a whole lot to unwrap. Covid-19 isn't the cause of the coming crash, its just the catalyst that got it started.

Expect trading to halt today, probably shortly after opening. I have no idea where the bottom is going to be, but we are far from it. The fed is out of ammo- they can only cut 50 more basis points before money is virtually free.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #479 on: March 09, 2020, 09:26:49 AM »
This is going to be painful, but it's not going to last for several years like it did during the 2008-2010 crisis.

The reason oil prices are bottoming right now is that Saudia Arabia has essentially declared war on Russia, and Russia has reciprocated, over market share. Unfortunately that puts the American shale oil industry right in the firing line.

The Saudis have tried to do this before, with varying degrees of success -- in the early 1990s with Venezuela, in the 2000s with Nigeria, Libya, and the US, and now Russia.

It's going to take about 6 months to shake out, is my guess.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #480 on: March 09, 2020, 09:31:53 AM »

It's going to take about 6 months to shake out, is my guess.

This is my thinking as well. Instead of throwing big money into the drop, I've been buying smaller chunks of my Vanguard funds each week. Though today's drop has me wanting to increase that a bit.

I will probably buy some more BP with this latest oil kerfuffle. Even if it stays down a long while, they have a great dividend that's certainly much higher than current T-bills.  :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #481 on: March 09, 2020, 10:38:00 AM »
Coronavirus: The Democrat Great Election Hope

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #482 on: March 09, 2020, 10:40:48 AM »
Meanwhile, my state registered its first confirmed case on Sunday. On Sunday I went to the supermarket. Plenty of paper towels and toilet paper, but there is no hand sanitizer to be found, apparently nowhere in the county and probably nowhere in the state.

But -- I have some 70% alcohol and some 91% alcohol in the medicine cabinet. In a worst case scenario, I can use that. And I can cut the 91% back to 75% or so with distilled water.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #483 on: March 09, 2020, 10:44:01 AM »
It's at Walmart
Cue the panic

Walmart employee among 4 COVID-19 cases in Kentucky
https://www.wave3.com/2020/03/09/walmart-employee-among-covid-cases-kentucky/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #484 on: March 09, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »
I still don't get the big run on hand sanitizer, while stuff like nitrile gloves are available in abundance. If I'm greatly concerned about handling stuff, the gloves are a much better barrier, then I can go home and wash with soap and water, which is 10X better than hand sanitizer.

Full disclosure, I am using the antiseptic wipes I keep in the center console depending on where I've been, while more importantly, just consciously keeping my hands away from my face until I get to a sink.

I was also just thinking about face masks. While they aren't virus protection for most people, a surgical mask or even dust mask is certainly a good way to keep your hands away from your mouth and nose.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #485 on: March 09, 2020, 11:11:22 AM »

I was also just thinking about face masks. While they aren't virus protection for most people, a surgical mask or even dust mask is certainly a good way to keep your hands away from your mouth and nose.

Or not. Watch people wearing masks and count how many times they reach up to adjust the mask to the bridge of their nose, which put fingers right next to eyes.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #486 on: March 09, 2020, 11:13:32 AM »
Or not. Watch people wearing masks and count how many times they reach up to adjust the mask to the bridge of their nose, which put fingers right next to eyes.

bob

Good point.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #487 on: March 09, 2020, 12:15:25 PM »

bob
Somewhere I saw a video of AOC talking about not touching your face.  In the same video, she touches her face and hair a dozen times or more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #488 on: March 09, 2020, 12:19:44 PM »
Somewhere I saw a video of AOC talking about not touching your face.  In the same video, she touches her face and hair a dozen times or more.

In fairness, even to that ditz, it IS kinda difficult not to subconsciously touch your face. Getting hair out of your eyes (for those of you that have hair  :laugh: ), scratching an itchy nose, rubbing an eye, etc. I've always been bad about that and have had to make a very conscious effort  to keep from doing it since the beer virus.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #489 on: March 09, 2020, 12:21:22 PM »

https://youtu.be/aBiz7sQvzWI?t=55
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #490 on: March 09, 2020, 12:22:14 PM »
"In fairness, even to that ditz, it IS kinda difficult not to subconsciously touch your face."

Exactly. And, if someone puts the thought in your head that you're NOT supposed to do it, it's very likely that you're going to do it a LOT more.

Like telling someone not to say UHM in the middle of a sentence when speaking...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #491 on: March 09, 2020, 12:26:30 PM »
This is my thinking as well. Instead of throwing big money into the drop, I've been buying smaller chunks of my Vanguard funds each week. Though today's drop has me wanting to increase that a bit.

That's what I'm doing.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #492 on: March 09, 2020, 12:27:30 PM »
A coworker just came back from Seattle last Thursday. Family funeral, she was there for 5 days.

I've decided only phone calls to mom and dad for the time being. They're in their 80's.

No harm in being careful.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #493 on: March 09, 2020, 01:04:19 PM »
A coworker just came back from Seattle last Thursday. Family funeral, she was there for 5 days.

I've decided only phone calls to mom and dad for the time being. They're in their 80's.

No harm in being careful.

My folks are in their late 70's and I am concerned for them especially since spawn #2's birthday is coming up and the party is later and they will want to come to the party.  I guess we will have to wait and see.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #494 on: March 09, 2020, 01:16:20 PM »
My dad will be 93 in a couple of months, and he's being a total pain with the, "It's just a bunch of hype!" stuff. While it IS being hyped, he's still in the, "If you get it you're basically dead" category and he refuses to listen to me about staying away from public places and letting my sister go to the store for him. Of course she's worthless and would probably blow that off anyway. Sure wish  I could get him to move here. It would make this kind of thing much easier to handle.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #495 on: March 09, 2020, 02:52:51 PM »
Want to make bets on what percentage comply with this? I say less than 50%.

WASHINGTON (AP/Gray News) - Several hundred people are being asked to self-quarantine after potential exposure to the first identified case of the new coronavirus in the nation’s capital, now publicly identified as the rector of prominent Episcopal church.
https://www.wave3.com/2020/03/09/us-capital-hit-by-coronavirus-outbreak-state-dept-warns-against-cruise-ship-travel/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #496 on: March 09, 2020, 03:03:18 PM »
Want to make bets on what percentage comply with this? I say less than 50%.
https://www.wave3.com/2020/03/09/us-capital-hit-by-coronavirus-outbreak-state-dept-warns-against-cruise-ship-travel/

Yeah, self-isolating and "punishment" for not doing so is going to start to get interesting. I just read that some Missouri (I think?) father had one daughter with the virus, was told to self-quarantine his family, and ended up taking the other daughter to a school dance. Apparently that whole school is shut down now.

Whether shutting whole institutions down is the scientifically correct response or not, it's the response that's going to occur. If there is any significant percentage of people like that guy, they are going to cause large problems, and I wouldn't be surprised if municipalities start posting cops in front of people's homes, or just moving them to a centralized quarantine location, if "breaking isolation" starts to get out of hand.

Self-isolation is a reasonable solution between the public and the government, but it only takes a few self-absorbed dumbasses to throw that contract out the window.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #497 on: March 09, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
He hates double dippers! Impeach him!

As Trump pushes a nothing-to-see-here message in public, sources said he’s privately terrified about getting the virus. “Donald is a famous germaphobe. He hates it if someone is eating nachos and dips a chip back in after taking a bite. He calls them ‘double dippers,’” a prominent Republican said. Former Trump aide Sam Nunberg recalled Trump’s response to the last major outbreak in 2014. “When I worked for Trump, he was obsessed with Ebola,” Nunberg told me. (One Mar-a-Lago guest disputed this and said Trump was handshaking with gusto this past weekend. “He was acting like the opposite of a germaphobe,” the source said.)

People don’t know this term? https://t.co/yPm6emP3MM

— RBe (@RBPundit) March 9, 2020
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/03/09/vanity-fair-special-correspondents-evidence-that-donald-trump-is-melting-down-over-covid19-includes-trump-behaving-like-a-civilized-person/
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #498 on: March 09, 2020, 04:11:59 PM »
Yeah, self-isolating and "punishment" for not doing so is going to start to get interesting. I just read that some Missouri (I think?) father had one daughter with the virus, was told to self-quarantine his family, and ended up taking the other daughter to a school dance. Apparently that whole school is shut down now.
A number of schools are closing or will be closing soon.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #499 on: March 09, 2020, 11:33:48 PM »
WASHINGTON (AP/Gray News) - Several hundred people are being asked to self-quarantine after potential exposure to the first identified case of the new coronavirus in the nation’s capital, now publicly identified as the rector of prominent Episcopal church.

Great. Episcopalians (AFAIK) still do the full communion every week, complete with wine and wafers. I wonder how many infected wafers the good reverend has given out in the past two or three weeks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design