Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440172 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #525 on: March 10, 2020, 06:27:50 PM »
It's coming up on Spring break -- the students were going to disperse anyway. Harvard is just telling them not to come back after break. The rest of the semester will be conducted on-line.

Especially because a lot of the *expletive deleted*wits are headed places like Daytona. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #526 on: March 10, 2020, 06:51:43 PM »
Wot?

That's not right! The left's hype is telling me that Kung Flu has a contagion rate higher than can be counted and that we're all already dead! And it's all Orange Man's Fault! Every bit of it!

Except a lot of the doom and gloom over it is coming from Prepperland figures, too.  Matt Bracken is nearly salivating at how many it will kill in his opinion.  And teh gubmint is suppressing the information to kill conservatives.  Or something.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #527 on: March 10, 2020, 07:17:53 PM »
Except a lot of the doom and gloom over it is coming from Prepperland figures, too.  Matt Bracken is nearly salivating at how many it will kill in his opinion.  And teh gubmint is suppressing the information to kill conservatives.  Or something.

Cernovich has been over the top also.

For those whove lost confidence in the government there really isn't a lot of good, alternative sources of info.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #528 on: March 10, 2020, 07:24:06 PM »
Except a lot of the doom and gloom over it is coming from Prepperland figures, too.  Matt Bracken is nearly salivating at how many it will kill in his opinion.  And teh gubmint is suppressing the information to kill conservatives.  Or something.

While the preppers get giddy anytime something like this happens, this is, I think, the first time that I've seen the NYC Starbucks drinking, tofu eating, Netflix watching, condition white 24/7 left go all Armageddon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #529 on: March 10, 2020, 07:28:54 PM »
The moron factor (like the father in MO that sent his kid to the school dance after his other kid came down with it) isn’t going to help either
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #530 on: March 10, 2020, 07:41:48 PM »

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #531 on: March 10, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »
Was in Sam's Club today
No TP
No paper towels
No water
Most canned meats 90% gone, zero spam (they usually have stacks)
No rice
No hand sanitizer
No alcohol (unless you count the drinking kind)
Many cleaning supplies cleaned out. Very low on what was left.
Ditto for detergent and soaps.

*expletive deleted*ing people are *expletive deleted*ing stupid
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #532 on: March 10, 2020, 08:04:08 PM »
Well, it's getting interesting.   Kid at college in Ohio has had in-person classes all changed to online classes.  Kids have option of staying or going home (he's NROTC, and has to stay).  Meetung at work tomorrow for emergency planning.  Just starting to see beginning of run on stuff at the grocery.  Lots of conferences our staff was going to be attending are being cancelled.  Might just be time to pull the long guns out of the safe for cleaning and oiling, and time to load up mags for everything.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #533 on: March 10, 2020, 08:23:27 PM »
Oh, I forgot to report from my rural grocery store.

Everything was in stock except hand sanitizer. Plenty of antibacterial hand soap. The only thing I saw they weren't fully stocked on besides the hand sanitizer was disinfectant wipes and bleach and such. Looked like those shelves were missing 30%-50% of product, but still plenty to be had.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #534 on: March 10, 2020, 08:39:07 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #535 on: March 10, 2020, 08:50:49 PM »
Cernovich has been over the top also.

For those whove lost confidence in the government there really isn't a lot of good, alternative sources of info.

YouTube, Dr John Campbell, and Peak Prosperity.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #537 on: March 11, 2020, 12:08:17 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #538 on: March 11, 2020, 12:19:06 AM »
Well put together mathematical video specifically talking about COVID-19.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg

3blue1brown does some really nice videos on math topics.  The visuals are excellent.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:19:52 AM by Jamisjockey »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #539 on: March 11, 2020, 09:06:49 AM »
I guess Public Storage figured I need a new source of WuFlu panic. They sent me an email telling me what they're doing about it. Like I need to know.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #540 on: March 11, 2020, 09:38:47 AM »
I guess Public Storage figured I need a new source of WuFlu panic. They sent me an email telling me what they're doing about it. Like I need to know.  ;/
All the chemical plant companies on the Gulf Coast seem to be drafting pandemic plans centered around maintaining operations.  Everyone is at the minor preparation level restricting travel.  We are minimizing outside contractors also.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #541 on: March 11, 2020, 09:41:46 AM »
All the chemical plant companies on the Gulf Coast seem to be drafting pandemic plans centered around maintaining operations.  Everyone is at the minor preparation level restricting travel.  We are minimizing outside contractors also.   

The FAA told us to wash our hands and not come to work sick so....
Literally no other guidance.  No guidance on what to do or who to advise if we have symptoms or are exposed.  I honestly think they don't have any plans in place, which is indicative of how this administration has run the entire response to corona.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #542 on: March 11, 2020, 09:45:30 AM »
"Guidance" around my office is pretty much the same. Wash your hands, don't come to work sick.

There's a "Pi Day" bake off on Friday in which everyone brings in their homemade pies.

I was going to make a Shoo Fly Pie.

Not going to do it now for two reasons...

1. Corona (minor).

2. Seren has gone into explosive shedding mode and I can't keep up. I'm finding dog fur in EVERYTHING. I don't feel like making a pie and having a coworker get a big mouthful of dog fur.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #543 on: March 11, 2020, 09:47:05 AM »
Well this ought to spark a nice panic in Germany...

Merkle Says Most Germans Will Get Corona -- https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/coronavirus-latest-updates.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #544 on: March 11, 2020, 09:50:12 AM »
In the meantime, the last numbers I saw said 1000 recorded cases (people infected, not dead) of the beer flu in the US. From OCT19-FEB20, 12,000 have already died of the plain old flu in the US. Also this year has apparently had the highest child death rate seen in quite some time for the regular flu, with hundreds of child deaths already recorded.

I still say we're going to have more detrimental effects via panic, overreaction, and the MSM than by the beer flu itself.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #545 on: March 11, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
Aaaand...this is congress' priority regarding covid-19 response:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/03/10/speaker-nancy-pelosi-says-rep-kevin-mccarthy-must-take-down-his-racist-chinese-coronavirus-tweet-and-apologize/
I have to wonder what sort of money/investments some of these D.C. people have in China.  There have been some prominent democrats who occasionally go out of their way to praise and/or defend China when any criticism comes up.  There was a point a couple months ago that Bloomberg did the same thing.  

(At least I hope it is just money/investments.   [tinfoil] )
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #546 on: March 11, 2020, 10:01:14 AM »
The FAA told us to wash our hands and not come to work sick so....
Literally no other guidance.  No guidance on what to do or who to advise if we have symptoms or are exposed.  I honestly think they don't have any plans in place, which is indicative of how this administration has run the entire response to corona.
That was mostly what all the pandemic plans I mentioned were.  Wash your hands.  Keep food and bathrooms clean.  Don't come to work sick.  Consider working from home if possible.  If you are sick, talk to your doctor and work things out with them.  Your doctor should know who to contact in the local county or govt. 

Honestly, I don't know what other plans you expect.  It isn't a complicated problem.  I have heard plenty of medical professionals say the same stuff in interviews.  They probably have more plans that don't involve the general public. 

Do you really expect them to publicize plans to isolate neighborhoods and fire bomb them from the air or use a MOAB?   Air traffic controllers are probably higher on that notification list than lowly plant engineers.   =D

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #547 on: March 11, 2020, 10:02:15 AM »
In the meantime, the last numbers I saw said 1000 recorded cases (people infected, not dead) of the beer flu in the US. From OCT19-FEB20, 12,000 have already died of the plain old flu in the US. Also this year has apparently had the highest child death rate seen in quite some time for the regular flu, with hundreds of child deaths already recorded.

This is following an exponential ramp up.  Cases in a region pick up an order of magnitude every 16 days or so.  Don't be surprised when 1000 cases turns into 10k cases... and then 100k cases.. in the period of 4-5 weeks.

China, the worlds second largest economy, utterly crippled themselves economically implementing drastic measures.  Do you really think the communists did this for an infection like the plain old flu?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #548 on: March 11, 2020, 10:03:21 AM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #549 on: March 11, 2020, 10:04:22 AM »
This is following an exponential ramp up.  Cases in a region pick up an order of magnitude every 16 days or so.  Don't be surprised when 1000 cases turns into 10k cases... and then 100k cases.. in the period of 4-5 weeks.

China, the worlds second largest economy, utterly crippled themselves economically implementing drastic measures.  Do you really think the communists did this for an infection like the plain old flu?
Should I assume competence among communist decision makers?