Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440164 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #575 on: March 11, 2020, 12:39:37 PM »
To be clear, I used South Korea's .6% number.  Italy has a 5% mortality rate, likely contributed to by their aging population.  They have a much higher average of population over 40 than the rest of the world.
Italy's average mortality age from COVID19 is 81. 

We'd probably be north of Korea's number, because Americans are fat and sick. 

Oh, and breaking news. The WHO just declared it a pandemic. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #576 on: March 11, 2020, 12:41:05 PM »
Buzzkill . . . .   ;/

When I told the wife I was watching this a few weeks ago, she asked how our ammunition stock was.  That made me laugh.  I'm more worried about food, because of supply disruptions and also I'd rather start limiting my trips to the store for the next few weeks to limit exposure risk.   Or if we get *expletive deleted*ing quarantined. One of my coworkers is sick. She took monday off but came in yesterday...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #577 on: March 11, 2020, 12:46:21 PM »
When I told the wife I was watching this a few weeks ago, she asked how our ammunition stock was.  That made me laugh.  I'm more worried about food, because of supply disruptions and also I'd rather start limiting my trips to the store for the next few weeks to limit exposure risk.   Or if we get *expletive deleted*ing quarantined. One of my coworkers is sick. She took monday off but came in yesterday...

I went and converted $600 into an augmentary grocery run.  A week to 10 days worth of lots of fresh foods, and then about a month's worth of longer shelf life stuff.  We were low on rice and pasta sauce and canned foods anyways.  And made sure we had all the "Oh, I gotta run out for..." crap.  Chicken feed, dog food, garbage bags, cleaning supplies, etc.  None of it is prepper stuff, just stuff to minimize our need to interact unnecessarily.  It'll all get used whether it's TIKIWIKI or not.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #578 on: March 11, 2020, 12:47:50 PM »
To be clear, I used South Korea's .6% number.  Italy has a 5% mortality rate, likely contributed to by their aging population.  They have a much higher average of population over 40 than the rest of the world.
Italy's average mortality age from COVID19 is 81.   

Also, No other country has tested as high a percentage of their population as South Korea has, so their number is probably closer to reality. Italy hasn't tested anywhere near as much, only people who show up with enough symptoms, so the CFR is much higher.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #579 on: March 11, 2020, 12:48:33 PM »
I'm sort of glad that I got ahead of this one supplies wise.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #580 on: March 11, 2020, 12:48:39 PM »
I'm more worried about food, because of supply disruptions and also I'd rather start limiting my trips to the store for the next few weeks to limit exposure risk.   Or if we get *expletive deleted*ing quarantined. One of my coworkers is sick. She took monday off but came in yesterday...

These continue (and will increase) to be valid concerns. We have zero reported cases in this state, but I'm still looking at skipping unnecessary trips to crowded places. I'm already not doing my few times a month downtown Boise beer and burger lunches and just cooking at home. Also more trips to the local grocery instead of Costco. I may not think it's the Racoon City virus, but I still don't want to catch the damn thing. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #581 on: March 11, 2020, 12:49:54 PM »

Did you pass up a free pass to buy ammo?

I already bought some 9mm this month which I needed anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #582 on: March 11, 2020, 12:58:21 PM »
I wonder if this will actually have any affect on my companies policy of "Don't come to work sick" (but if you take off for being sick we will find some way to *expletive deleted*ck you).
About 20 years ago I worked for a manager that operated like that, He actually told me the reason I lost out on 1% of my annual raise was because I took off half a day sick, one time during the year. Next time I had a raging case of deathfluplague I made sure I went to work and spent as much time as possible around him. He got sick as hell and spent 3 days in the hospital over it. I laughed.

Good point, and I think that's the flaw in the corporate responses I've seen reported so far. Companies are telling workers not to come in if they feel sick or think they may have the coronavirus ... but then they go on to say that the time off will be handled in accordance with standard absence policies. I suspect that a lot of Americans use up most or all of their annual sick time at the end of each year because it doesn't carry over, so this early in the year most people aren't going to have two weeks of sick time available -- if they ever might. Many may not even have two weeks of vacation available and, if they did, they'd be reluctant to "waste" it on being sick. So I think a lot of people are going to ignore the advice and come to work anyway, because they need the paycheck.

If the Democrats are really the workers' party, why hasn't the House proposed emergency funding to pay people who stay home and self-quarantine? Set it up like short-term unemployment compensation or something.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #583 on: March 11, 2020, 01:01:58 PM »
I wonder if this will be covered under the FMLA:

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fmla
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #584 on: March 11, 2020, 01:03:05 PM »
If the Democrats are really the workers' party, why hasn't the House proposed emergency funding to pay people who stay home and self-quarantine? Set it up like short-term unemployment compensation or something.

House Democrats are moving ahead with their own economic package that includes paid sick leave for certain workers, extra funding for children’s school lunches, expanded unemployment insurance, and increased spending on social safety-net programs.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #585 on: March 11, 2020, 01:41:08 PM »
It was only a matter of time

The World Health Organization on Wednesday declared the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic.
Coronavirus declared global pandemic; US deaths at 31
https://www.wave3.com/2020/03/11/us-states-race-contain-coronavirus-cases-near/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #586 on: March 11, 2020, 02:10:41 PM »
https://khn.org/news/surging-health-care-worker-quarantines-raise-concerns-as-coronavirus-spreads/

We are already pondering the 14 day self-quarantine for exposed healthcare workers with no symptoms.  If this continues, we will run out of hospital and clinic staff in short order.  Hopefully testing will become more available, and we can return people to work ASAP once the test comes back negative.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #587 on: March 11, 2020, 02:46:14 PM »
Over 400 cases confirmed here in Sweden right now, no deaths reported so far. I should probably buy some more pasta and canned foods tomorrow.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #588 on: March 11, 2020, 02:51:44 PM »
Over 400 cases confirmed here in Sweden right now, no deaths reported so far. I should probably buy some more pasta and canned foods tomorrow.

That is actually a good thing IMO, the more cases reported with less mortality the mortality rate goes down, people quit running around waving their arms like their hair is on fire and COVID-19 becomes part of the landscape like H1N1 (Swine Flu). But until then let chaos and panic rein!!  :facepalm:

bob

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #589 on: March 11, 2020, 03:03:19 PM »
https://khn.org/news/surging-health-care-worker-quarantines-raise-concerns-as-coronavirus-spreads/

We are already pondering the 14 day self-quarantine for exposed healthcare workers with no symptoms.  If this continues, we will run out of hospital and clinic staff in short order.  Hopefully testing will become more available, and we can return people to work ASAP once the test comes back negative.

Had this exact discussion at work.  If we get exposed, are they just going to quarantine all of us?  How TF does that work...my facility works IAD/DCA/BWI approach control all from the same room...
JD

BobR

• friend
« Reply #590 on: March 11, 2020, 03:05:25 PM »
Had this exact discussion at work.  If we get exposed, are they just going to quarantine all of us?  How TF does that work...my facility works IAD/DCA/BWI approach control all from the same room...

Sounds like either nobody gets sick or you all get sick, not much wiggle room there.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #591 on: March 11, 2020, 03:21:38 PM »
This just in: the Seattle school district, the largest in the state, is closing all schools for at least two weeks starting tomorrow.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #592 on: March 11, 2020, 03:24:54 PM »
This just in: the Seattle school district, the largest in the state, is closing all schools for at least two weeks starting tomorrow.

How much of this two week closure is part of spring break?

bob

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #593 on: March 11, 2020, 03:35:24 PM »
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #594 on: March 11, 2020, 03:51:19 PM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/pence-cancels-general-election-to-stymie-coronavirus
Trump Cancels 2020 Election Over Coronavirus Concerns

Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders also seemed very relieved by the announcement, as they’re both very tired and worried about getting sick. Sanders was especially happy, telling the press, “You know, for a few moments there, it really seemed like I might win, and I didn’t know what was going to happen if people actually expected me to follow through on all that free stuff.” Sanders is now deciding in which of his three houses to self-quarantine.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #595 on: March 11, 2020, 04:45:15 PM »
This is going to be weird

All men's and women's NCAA Tournament games will be played without fans when it begins next week, the organization announced Wednesday.
Only "essential staff and limited family" will be in attendance," Emmert said.

NCAA tournament games to be played without fans
https://www.wdrb.com/news/ncaa-tournament-games-to-be-played-without-fans/article_2baed2dc-63d6-11ea-ac9c-0b20a00ee325.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #596 on: March 11, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »
https://babylonbee.com/news/pence-cancels-general-election-to-stymie-coronavirus
Trump Cancels 2020 Election Over Coronavirus Concerns

That is high on the reddit conspiracy list.  I giggle because the right swore  up and down Obama was going to find a way to do the same.
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #597 on: March 11, 2020, 07:02:41 PM »
That is high on the reddit conspiracy list.  I giggle because the right swore  up and down Obama was going to find a way to do the same.
I heard that with Obama as well.  The birther thing had more legs than that. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #598 on: March 11, 2020, 07:12:03 PM »

Reagan was accused of that plan, as well as Clinton Bush W and Obama. Nothing new here
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #599 on: March 11, 2020, 07:16:49 PM »
The City of Houston has canceled the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.   =(

https://www.rodeohouston.com/2020