Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440068 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #625 on: March 12, 2020, 07:52:25 AM »
Many of those infected here came from Italy as well. And our government even chartered a plane to bring home a bunch of people from Italy...and then just let everyone leave once the plane touched down, because this country is *expletive deleted*ing inept.

We just let people come back from Italy after their outbreak went off, without screening them at all.  Government is inept, period.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #626 on: March 12, 2020, 08:19:57 AM »
No cases in Idaho yet, though it looks like zahc's company is looking to screw that up. :P  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #627 on: March 12, 2020, 08:33:37 AM »
No cases in Idaho yet, though it looks like zahc's company is looking to screw that up. :P  :laugh:

They're there, just not tested yet. 
CDC has finally admitted that some of the flu deaths they're counting for the year likely died from COVID.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #628 on: March 12, 2020, 08:34:31 AM »
They're there, just not tested yet. 
CDC has finally admitted that some of the flu deaths they're counting for the year likely died from COVID.

I should have said reported cases.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #629 on: March 12, 2020, 08:43:55 AM »
I should have said reported cases.

You're in good company. No cases in WV either.... :P
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #630 on: March 12, 2020, 08:45:58 AM »

Rednecks rule, dude.  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/3cQNkIrg-Tk

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #631 on: March 12, 2020, 08:54:27 AM »
Here in Ground Zero of Seattle, we still don't have enough test kits, so the Health Department is rationing them out. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #632 on: March 12, 2020, 08:56:41 AM »
I was supposed to go see Itzhak Perlman play tonight (my wife's Christmas present to me) but it's been cancelled. It's a small thing, but I've been trying to see him for about 3 years, and I'm pretty bummed.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #633 on: March 12, 2020, 09:02:38 AM »

So.... Meth stops corona virus?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #634 on: March 12, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »
Some interesting math, telling an interesting story. I I especially like the China bar graph with the gray and yellow retrospective known vs. actual cases.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #635 on: March 12, 2020, 09:14:47 AM »
So.... Meth stops corona virus?
Keep it quiet, but I heard toilet paper prevents corona virus.  That is why it is being bought up.  Don't spread it around though.   [tinfoil]
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #636 on: March 12, 2020, 09:16:55 AM »
I think I've found a beer virus business opportunity. I have come up with a device to keep people from touching their faces (and licking their balls):

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #637 on: March 12, 2020, 09:25:31 AM »
I think I've found a beer virus business opportunity. I have come up with a device to keep people from touching their faces (and licking their balls):

Just so long as someone else can lick my balls.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #638 on: March 12, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »

Not just my company. You know that approximately everyone at Micron is Asian, of all flavors. During Chinese new year it was like a ghost town as everyone went back to visit family. So my 8 French people are a drop in the bucket.

Trump suspended travel from all of EU because the Schengen agreement means just blocking Italy is nonsense since you can just walk across the border to another country and fly out without a passport Visa trail to identify your travel history. It's still a crude move, but what else can you do. People might criticize EU for that, but US is even worse. If we wanted to shut down the ID border, we have literally no legal or practical way to do it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #639 on: March 12, 2020, 09:33:56 AM »
Coworker just came in. She stopped at a local grocery on her way to the office to grab a few things... people were panic buying. Took her two hours to get her stuff and get out of the store.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #640 on: March 12, 2020, 09:40:17 AM »
Coworker just came in. She stopped at a local grocery on her way to the office to grab a few things... people were panic buying. Took her two hours to get her stuff and get out of the store.

Not shocked. 

It was only a matter of time. That's going to spread faster than corona.
JD

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #641 on: March 12, 2020, 09:45:41 AM »
It's still a crude move, but what else can you do.

Until we're up to speed on testing, people are going to over-react.

"Without testing, you have no idea how extensive the infection is. You can't isolate people. You can't do anything," he says. "And so then we're left with a completely different set of choices. We have to shut schools, events and everything down, because that's the only tool available to us until we get testing back up. It's been stunning to me how bad the federal response has been."

In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #642 on: March 12, 2020, 09:50:15 AM »
I'm going to the local grocery store to tempt fate at the salad bar for lunch.

I'm actually sort of surprised that stores haven't started shutting their salad bars down.

I also realized last night that I'm almost out of coffee, and for me, that IS a panic situation. If I don't have my morning coffee I tend to rampage through the streets like Godzilla.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #643 on: March 12, 2020, 10:05:18 AM »
Not shocked. 

It was only a matter of time. That's going to spread faster than corona.

Yup.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #644 on: March 12, 2020, 10:05:53 AM »
...aaaaaand Texas Tech just canceled classes the week after Spring Break. After that, it's online instruction only until further notice.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #645 on: March 12, 2020, 10:11:05 AM »
I'm going to the local grocery store to tempt fate at the salad bar for lunch.

I'm actually sort of surprised that stores haven't started shutting their salad bars down.

I also realized last night that I'm almost out of coffee, and for me, that IS a panic situation. If I don't have my morning coffee I tend to rampage through the streets like Godzilla.

Friend of ours just tried to get into the Manassas costco. She said it looks like Black Friday.  Parking lot completely full, police directing traffic, and a long line just to get in the store.
JD

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #646 on: March 12, 2020, 10:13:06 AM »
Not hearing anything about India, If there's any place I would expect something C19 to be like a bull in a China shop it would be India.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #647 on: March 12, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »
Not hearing anything about India, If there's any place I would expect something C19 to be like a bull in a China shop it would be India.

I highly doubt they're testing in high numbers.  We'll hear in a few months about a huge death toll there I bet.  Most of India is third world shithole.
JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #648 on: March 12, 2020, 10:16:47 AM »
Friend of ours just tried to get into the Manassas costco. She said it looks like Black Friday.  Parking lot completely full, police directing traffic, and a long line just to get in the store.

.....SOOOOOO people were just told there's a (somewhat) scary disease that necessitate social distancing...

And they all packed into a store with hundreds of strangers who have been who knows where.

Good job, herd.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #649 on: March 12, 2020, 10:17:59 AM »
Of note, I tried the "keep 6 feet away from others" in the store the other day. It's really hard to do when no one else practices it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought