Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440117 times)

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #725 on: March 12, 2020, 07:20:08 PM »
I'm hoping these forecasts aren't very good/accurate.
 :O
Quote from: JP Morgan
Revised GDP forecast of -2.0% annualized growth in 1Q, followed by -3.0% growth in 2Q. ... forecast assumes a fiscal response of about $500 billion. .... If the spread of virus moderates .... stage could be set for a return to growth in 3Q, when we forecast 2.5%
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #726 on: March 12, 2020, 07:22:46 PM »
https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/hospitals-health-systems/providence-st-joseph-health-offers-coronavirus-lessons-from-treating?mrkid=916753

Interesting article from the healthcare system that treated the very first US COVID 19 patient.

Thanks for posting that!

Not crazy, not partisan or political.

Just information.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #727 on: March 12, 2020, 07:35:31 PM »
I'm hoping these forecasts aren't very good/accurate.
 :O

Sounds about right, or at least it's similar to what I've been spouting. Quarter 1 still has post holiday sales and other positive stuff that will moderate the virus stuff. Quarter 2 is when I expect all the bad news from supply chains, loss of revenue because people weren't doing anything except buying toilet paper (Charmin stock should be up 10,000%), etc.

I believe quarter 3 will have very good news because people will have been out doing stuff in the Summer, flying and cruising again, and supply chains should have had a chance to get caught up. I expect the market to rally. As I said elsewhere, quarter 3 announcements will be VERY close to the election, so whether Trump gets any benefits from it, or if he gets dragged down by quarter 2, will be an interesting timing issue.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #728 on: March 12, 2020, 07:36:39 PM »
 Yup, close all the schools and then the kids will go hang out at the malls and movie theatres.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #729 on: March 12, 2020, 08:11:39 PM »
Trump is toast?

It's obvious Biden, Hillary or M Obama would be handling this sooo much better? :facepalm: ...

or we're going to elect a Communist because of Wuhan Flu!

Honestly I think television sucks IQ points right out of the brains of people.

If Hillary had been elected the virus would have committed suicide a long time ago
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #730 on: March 12, 2020, 08:12:25 PM »
I'll admit that I didn't see "all" of Italy, and it was 30 years ago but...
As a country they have a higher average population density than the US, Their personal hygiene standards are not as high as is what I consider the US average, even accounting for scuzzy people here. Their health system is not the same as the US, they do not have the capacity we do.
They aren't a 3rd world country but they aren't far removed from it.
As for the actual 3rd world shitholes that have a high infection and death rate those places also tend to pack their people in pretty tight in their population centers and they tend to have personal hygiene standards that would make a pig cringe.

In the US the distribution has been in areas with a high population density. So far the fatalities have been very heavily skewed toward older people with previously health conditions that were in close proximity to other older people with underlying health issues.
When large numbers of nominally healthy people start croaking I'll get worried. In the meantime I will avoid large public gatherings of people, give the majority of my co-workers as wide a berth as possible, don't lick the handles on shopping carts and wash my hands regularly, so no real changes.

Also,   there has been a great deal of tourism of Chinese into Italy .... and from Italy to America.  That is a BIG vector.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #731 on: March 12, 2020, 08:43:39 PM »
I'm afraid that we're going to see a lot of small Mom & Pop businesses closing - forever.  There are a few around here who are just making it month to month.  Cut off their income for a few weeks to a month or so and they won't be able to recover.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #732 on: March 12, 2020, 08:49:40 PM »
We aren’t mom and pop size we are a 600 employee company a month long shutdown would hurt us badly
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #733 on: March 12, 2020, 09:07:26 PM »
Disney is closing nearly everything for the rest of March.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/business/disneyland-coronavirus.html
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #734 on: March 12, 2020, 09:41:31 PM »
My company has announced that we should work from home if at all possible, at least until the end of March.  That's a big deal; a lot of the upper managers *hate* that we even can work from home effectively, and a year or so ago forced-out most of the telecommuters.
"It's good, though..."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #735 on: March 12, 2020, 10:03:44 PM »
I'm going to the local grocery store to tempt fate at the salad bar for lunch.

I'm actually sort of surprised that stores haven't started shutting their salad bars down.
Edited to add a note about the pic below.  MGM Resorts in Vegas is shutting down buffets, beginning Sunday.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 10:18:56 PM by Doggy Daddy »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #737 on: March 12, 2020, 10:56:44 PM »
North Central Ohio schools are packing it in for the next month.

Went for groceries tonight and the lines at IGA were long and saw my first batch of people wearing masks.

Costco was approaching full retard according to a friend that went there today,  no word on Sam's club.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #738 on: March 12, 2020, 11:53:26 PM »
Well my daughter had a blast in Johnson county today and my wife had her quarterly bank meeting today. I'm not sure I even want to go home.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #739 on: March 13, 2020, 12:09:03 AM »
At work today upper management posted a notice on the bulletin board about the kung flu. It basically said people need to not travel overseas and to wash your hands. There was a second page stapled to it so they were stacked and it was a dumb pictogram thing showing you how to wash your hands. Someone used the labelmaker and put note on it that said "it's a good thing you put this here so that everyone can touch the same thing!"

:facepalm:

Idiots. I work for idiots. Of course, I work with idiots too.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #740 on: March 13, 2020, 12:10:23 AM »
First death in KC happened today.  Man from wyandotte in his 70's.  He was admitted to a hospital on Tuesday for what seemed like a cardiac issue, died less then 24 hours later.  Today, test results confirmed COVID-19.  He died in the nearest hospital to my house.

He contracted it from community spread.  Local health department is doing contact tracing.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #741 on: March 13, 2020, 12:25:06 AM »
I guess a mega-thread deserves a mega message. A friend just sent me an e-mail he received from someone who got on an Oath Keepers mailing list. The jist is that COVID-19 is airborne -- meaning (in keeping with the post just above) that interviewing for "contact" doesn't mean diddly. Restricting the spread really is going to require quarantines and near lock-down conditions. The "6-foot avoidance" advice is useless if people in a building are exhaling the bug -- most building HVAC systems recycle roughly 80% of the air, and only 20% is exhausted and replaced with fresh air from outside.

Here's the e-mail (don't know if the links will come through as live links):

Subject: Coronavirus is AIRBORNE! You Are Not Being Told the Full Truth

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/f61d5e9bfb43c1a2af2d32279/images/2701ffa8-0aa9-400d-8e59-bc6ff4d38268.jpg]

[https://mcusercontent.com/f61d5e9bfb43c1a2af2d32279/images/3129f502-e19d-4fa5-b1f9-6b26f14543ee.jpg]

Coronavirus is AIRBORNE!
You Are Not Being Told the Full Truth

“COVID19 IS AIRBORNE!  President Trump MUST immediately shut down all commercial airline traffic.  Every airlines flight puts all passengers at significant risk of being infected precisely because all it takes is one infected person onboard a flight to infect others, just as the infected man on the bus in China infected others.   Likewise, all public trains, buses, and subway systems should be shut down for the same reasons.”

The bureaucrats are failing us, yet again.

A U.S. level 4 biological lab has now confirmed<https://oathkeepers.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f61d5e9bfb43c1a2af2d32279&id=1f462170df&e=1c49b8ccf1> that the Coronavirus (COVID19) is an airborne (aerosol) virus.   This was also confirmed by a Chinese medical study<https://oathkeepers.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f61d5e9bfb43c1a2af2d32279&id=6c624da5b6&e=1c49b8ccf1> that researched an actual case of airborne spread on a public bus (see below for details).

And yet, the CDC, HHS, and White House Coronavirus Task Force have all failed to say ANYTHING about this!

This means that COVID19 is so small that it can be expelled in an infected person’s breath and linger in the air for at least a half an hour, as both the U.S. and Chinese studies confirmed, and while suspended in the air, it can infect other people who then breath that air in, inside an enclosed space (like a bus, airplane, train, subway, office building, school, church, car, personal home, etc), and it can therefore move from room to room in air-conditioning units (such as inside a nursing home, office building, school, cruise ship, hotel, etc), and likewise infect anyone who breaths it in.   A flu is NOT airborne, and can transmit only in droplets in sneezes, coughs, or left on surfaces.   This is one of the reasons why the Coronavirus vastly more contagious than a flu,  It is airborne, like other highly contagious viruses such as measles, tuberculosis, and smallpox.

As Fox News reported<https://oathkeepers.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f61d5e9bfb43c1a2af2d32279&id=935be23c11&e=1c49b8ccf1>:

“A new study suggests that the novel coronavirus<https://oathkeepers.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f61d5e9bfb43c1a2af2d32279&id=627d788b09&e=1c49b8ccf1> COVID-19 can remain in the air for up to three hours, and live on surfaces such as plastic and stainless steel for up to three days.

The research, published in the medRxiv depository<https://oathkeepers.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f61d5e9bfb43c1a2af2d32279&id=6d250de8d1&e=1c49b8ccf1>, also notes that the virus can remain on copper surfaces for four hours and carboard for up to 24 hours. The research found it could stay on stainless steel and plastic for anywhere between two and three days.

“Our results indicate that aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for multiple hours and on surfaces up to days,” the researchers wrote in the study, which has not yet been peer-reviewed.”

The Chinese medical study<https://oathkeepers.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f61d5e9bfb43c1a2af2d32279&id=af50affe3d&e=1c49b8ccf1> analyzed the case of a Coronavirus carrier who infected other passengers in a bus who were up to 4.5 meters away from him, and the virus lingered in the air inside the bus even after the infected man got off the bus.   A passenger who got on the bus a half hour later was infected – proving that the virus can linger in the air inside an enclosed space for at least a half hour.  As the South China Morning Post<https://oathkeepers.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f61d5e9bfb43c1a2af2d32279&id=e9de924f3c&e=1c49b8ccf1> reported:

“Hu Shixiong, the lead author of the study who works for the Hunan Provincial Centre for Diseases Control and Prevention, said the security camera footage showed patient “A” did not interact with others throughout the four-hour ride.

But by the time the bus stopped at the next city, the virus had already jumped from the carrier to seven other passengers.

These included not only people sitting relatively close to “patient zero”, but also a couple of victims six rows from him – roughly 4.5 metres away.

They all later tested positive, including one passenger who displayed no symptoms of the disease.

After these passengers left, another group got on the bus about 30 minutes later. One passenger sitting in the front row on the other side of the aisle also became infected.

Hu said the patient, who was not wearing a mask, was likely to have inhaled aerosols, or tiny particles, breathed out by the infected passengers from the previous group.

Aerosols are light-weighted particles that are formed from tiny droplets of bodily fluids.

“The possible reason is that in a completely enclosed space, the airflow is mainly driven by the hot air generated by the air conditioning. The rise of the hot air can transport the virus-laden droplets to a greater distance,” said the paper.

After getting off the shuttle bus, the initial carrier got on a minibus and travelled for another hour. The virus jumped to two other passengers, one of whom was also sitting 4.5 metres away from patient “A”.

By the time the study was finished in mid February, patient “A” had infected at least 13 people.”

And yet, U.S. Government officials have completely failed to even mention this reality, or to advise that public mass transportation, such as airlines, trains, subways, or buses be shut down.

Frankly, we have known that COVID19 is airborne for over two weeks, as we first published in our written warning on the Coronavirus<https://oathkeepers.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f61d5e9bfb43c1a2af2d32279&id=e2cd2e4c79&e=1c49b8ccf1> on February 28, 2020.   In that write up, we cited two public health officials in China stating that it is airborne, and a Singapore newspaper quoting the Singapore Ministry of Health sting that it is airborne.  We also posted up video of the Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) stating in a press conference that the Coronavirus is airborne.  And yet WHO has also not made this part of its public recommendations on how this virus spreads or how to avoid becoming infected.  See below.

COVID19 IS AIRBORNE!  President Trump MUST immediately shut down all commercial airline traffic.  Every airlines flight puts all passengers at significant risk of being infected precisely because all it takes is one infected person onboard a flight to infect others, just as the infected man on the bus in China infected others.   Likewise, all public trains, buses, and subway systems should be shut down for the same reasons.

Frankly, we find this very frustrating and disturbing.   It is highly unlikely that the CDC was not aware of the reports out of China and Singapore that this is an airborne (aerosol) virus that we referred to back on February 28, 2020.   it is likewise unlikely that the CDC is ignorant of the Chinese study of the airborne spread on a public bus, that was published in Chinese media on March 9, 2020 .

But now that it is being widely reported in U.S. media that an American level 4 bio-lab has done its own study and concluded that it is indeed capable of being spread as an aerosol that lingers in the air for up to a half an hour.   What else will it take for the CDC to change its recommendations to the American people, or to elected officials?   What will it take for the White House task force on the virus to take decisive action by advising the President to shut down all domestic air travel?  Or to warn the American people to stop using mass-transit? Or to recommend that all schools be shut down, since it will also spread like wildfire through a school just as easily as on a public bus?

Don’t wait for the bureaucrats.   You must decide on your own to avoid all enclosed spaces, and especially while traveling.  Stop flying, stop riding the subway, stop riding buses.  And do all you can to avoid being in any enclosed public space with other people.

Read more on our website here: https://oathkeepers.org/2020/03/coronavirus-is-airborne-you-are-not-being-told-the-full-truth/<https://oathkeepers.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f61d5e9bfb43c1a2af2d32279&id=df6107e07e&e=1c49b8ccf1>
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #742 on: March 13, 2020, 12:42:33 AM »
NRA Annual Meeting canceled.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #743 on: March 13, 2020, 05:08:24 AM »
The Swedish Central Bank has decided to issue loans worth 500 billion kronor (roughly 50 billion $$$) to ensure that businesses do not go bankrupt during the outbreak. Glad to see something is being done right.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

brimic

• friends
« Reply #744 on: March 13, 2020, 08:10:25 AM »
One of my ex-wives called me last night to tell me the local Aldi's was a complete *expletive deleted*it show. The closest confirmed case is still 50 miles away.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #745 on: March 13, 2020, 08:12:03 AM »
One of my ex-wives called me last night to tell me the local Aldi's was a complete *expletive deleted*it show. The closest confirmed case is still 50 miles away.

What was your response?

Who cares, peasant woman? I've made enough panic monkey money in the last two days that I now have staff to deal with *expletive deleted*it like that...

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #746 on: March 13, 2020, 08:14:42 AM »
August, 2020
Tulsi Gabbard and Mike Pence are set to debate for the election.  AOC is speaker of the house.  The DOW is at 1,935 points.  The Dollar is now backed by toilet paper.  Nobody above 60 is left alive.
Brimic's ex wife is still in line at Aldi for toilet paper.
 :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #748 on: March 13, 2020, 08:28:40 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #749 on: March 13, 2020, 08:33:21 AM »
Side link from that link. Something about large burial trenches in Iran. If true Iran is getting whacked hard.
https://www.vox.com/2020/3/12/21176968/coronavirus-iran-outbreak-satellite-photos-burial-trench

Well, it's Iran. They could easily be using the virus as an excuse to eliminate undesirables who "caught the virus" without worrying about global reaction.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."