Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440263 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #750 on: March 13, 2020, 08:34:41 AM »
Besides being dirty, they didn't shut down their holy sites until they were balls deep in an outbreak there.  I don't believe their numbers for a minute.  And as Ben said...never miss the opportunity for a good purge.  We know China disappeared some dissidents. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #751 on: March 13, 2020, 08:38:10 AM »
Well, it's Iran. They could easily be using the virus as an excuse to eliminate undesirables who "caught the virus" without worrying about global reaction.

That thought did pass through my mind
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #752 on: March 13, 2020, 09:11:45 AM »
Besides being dirty, they didn't shut down their holy sites until they were balls deep in an outbreak there.  I don't believe their numbers for a minute.  And as Ben said...never miss the opportunity for a good purge.  We know China disappeared some dissidents. 

There's also the reports of the faithful licking the sites in order to prove they weren't infected by the infidel virus.

But that certainly had nothing to do with the results. 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #753 on: March 13, 2020, 09:13:27 AM »
What was your response?

Who cares, peasant woman? I've made enough panic monkey money in the last two days that I now have staff to deal with *expletive deleted*it like that...

:rofl:

I've been talking to her about it in case the kids have to be quarantined in one of our houses. She has a huge stockpile of preps that I left behind when I got divorced which I told her to go through and see what's still good, because the kids might need it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #754 on: March 13, 2020, 09:17:31 AM »
I guess a mega-thread deserves a mega message. A friend just sent me an e-mail he received from someone who got on an Oath Keepers mailing list. The jist is that COVID-19 is airborne -- meaning (in keeping with the post just above) that interviewing for "contact" doesn't mean diddly. Restricting the spread really is going to require quarantines and near lock-down conditions. The "6-foot avoidance" advice is useless if people in a building are exhaling the bug -- most building HVAC systems recycle roughly 80% of the air, and only 20% is exhausted and replaced with fresh air from outside.

Here's the e-mail (don't know if the links will come through as live links):

If it were airborne, that would seem to mean the numbers of unreported infections are much much higher than we know about. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #755 on: March 13, 2020, 09:19:32 AM »
Oh for *expletive deleted*s sake

MAJOR BREAKING NEWS: NPR Source Says Trump Blocked Coronavirus Testing in January to Aid His Reelection Chances By Keeping US Infection Figures Low

NOTE: Please RETWEET this—America needs to know what this monster did. Thousands of future deaths will rightly be laid at his feet. https://t.co/FFGm5BDmIF

— Seth Abramson (@SethAbramson) March 12, 2020

And he doesn't stop there

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/03/13/faker-than-fake-news-seth-abramson-gives-alex-jones-a-run-for-his-its-turning-the-frogs-gay-money-in-trump-coronavirus-thread/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #756 on: March 13, 2020, 09:27:14 AM »
And when in doubt pull numbers out of your arse

Ohio health officials announced Thursday that the state has five known cases of the coronavirus, but one expert said that the number is likely much higher and estimated 100,000 undiagnosed cases.

Ohio likely has 100,000 coronavirus cases, top health official says
https://www.foxnews.com/health/ohio-likely-has-100000-coronavirus-cases-top-health-official-says
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #757 on: March 13, 2020, 09:33:05 AM »
One of our friends here, their daughter is home from college.  Her roommate tested positive.  She's in self isolation.
The amount of confusion and lack of direction from the college and the state is mind boggling. 
She did a very good live video on facebook. I'm not putting her name up public, if you'd like to see the video pm me and I'll tell you where to find it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #758 on: March 13, 2020, 09:41:00 AM »
I got emails this morning.  At least 2 gun shows this weekend were canceled.  Looks like just about all public events are canceled or shut down.  I might have to find somewhere to go just to buck the trend.

Might be the only good place to go is the gun range. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #759 on: March 13, 2020, 09:57:44 AM »
Might be the only good place to go is the gun range. 

Has the run on ammo started yet?  :'(
We can trade 22lr for TP.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #760 on: March 13, 2020, 10:07:01 AM »
The Rodeo has been cancelled in Houston. 
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #761 on: March 13, 2020, 10:24:09 AM »

I'm set then.  Still got 8K or so in bulk pack boxes, from the Great 0bama Gun and Ammo Famine.  Whichever round of it when .22lr is all you could find.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #762 on: March 13, 2020, 10:24:34 AM »

Sure can. How much ammo you got? I'll trade a roll for a 1000 pack.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #763 on: March 13, 2020, 10:40:15 AM »
I guess a mega-thread deserves a mega message. A friend just sent me an e-mail he received from someone who got on an Oath Keepers mailing list. The jist is that COVID-19 is airborne -- meaning (in keeping with the post just above) that interviewing for "contact" doesn't mean diddly. Restricting the spread really is going to require quarantines and near lock-down conditions. The "6-foot avoidance" advice is useless if people in a building are exhaling the bug -- most building HVAC systems recycle roughly 80% of the air, and only 20% is exhausted and replaced with fresh air from outside.

Here's the e-mail (don't know if the links will come through as live links):

It's airborne, and people are contagious before showing symptoms.  Containment is highly unlikely.  Unless a vaccine is created much more quickly than the year that experts are estimating at the moment. 

Here's a good site for info:  http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #764 on: March 13, 2020, 11:08:39 AM »
House to Vote on Coronavirus Spending Package on Friday after Reaching Tentative Deal
The package will guarantee free testing and 14 days of paid sick-leave for patients and tax credits for small- and medium-sized businesses affected by the outbreak. Additionally, the legislation will fund food assistance and Medicaid programs, as well as unemployment benefits.
I'll be curious to see how much unrelated pork gets packed in there. Seems like industry bailouts will likely be coming next.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #765 on: March 13, 2020, 11:19:45 AM »

I saw a site that might have Wolf 5.45x39 SP ammo still in stock.  I might need to try to order it.  I would like to get some 7.62 as well.  I have to think about how much I want to spend. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #766 on: March 13, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »
I'll be curious to see how much unrelated pork gets packed in there. Seems like industry bailouts will likely be coming next.
Never let a crisis go to waste. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #767 on: March 13, 2020, 11:25:34 AM »
I saw a site that might have Wolf 5.45x39 SP ammo still in stock.  I might need to try to order it.  I would like to get some 7.62 as well.  I have to think about how much I want to spend. 

I haven't been paying attention. Are there ammo shortages starting now too? I'm stocked up on most everything, except I wanted maybe another 1000 rounds of .300 Blackout, and  I might be buying a 9MM shortly. I ain't paying panic prices for ammo though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #768 on: March 13, 2020, 11:28:20 AM »
Sitting here at a customer's watching bits copy.  One of the office wimmins talking to the other, repeats rumor that someone at a town about 30 miles from here posted on the book of faces that he tested positive.  He works at one of our customers', where one of our other techs is at frequently, and folks from the ISP side are at not infrequently.

Rumor, right now.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #769 on: March 13, 2020, 11:31:13 AM »
Pre panic buying has hit my hood.  I went into the store today to grab a few things.  We're not in total lockdown, as I'm not so paranoid that I think I'll catch it at Harris Teeter....
They were almost cleaned out of TP and PT.  Meat section, pasta, water all pretty bare.  Low selection and stock of frozen veggies on the floor.
Every line was 5 people  or more deep, and we had to wait for self checkout.
JD

brimic

• friends
« Reply #770 on: March 13, 2020, 11:46:55 AM »
I prepared for the Covid-19 experience by eating a whole package of Ghost Pepper hot sticks last night.
If I can survive the agony I'm feeling today, I'll be pretty much bulletproof.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #771 on: March 13, 2020, 12:00:29 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #772 on: March 13, 2020, 12:18:30 PM »
Just hit the Giant down the street from my office.

Unlike the Wegman's this morning at 6:45, Giant had pretty much everything. Lines weren't out of the ordinary. The meat selection was running a bit threadbare, and they were out of the big packs of ground turkey that I like, so no joy there. I'll try the Giant near my house later tonight/tomorrow morning.

They've also not shut down the salad bar, which sort of surprised me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #773 on: March 13, 2020, 12:23:56 PM »
Our university is going "online only."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #774 on: March 13, 2020, 12:43:01 PM »
Well, panic has hit smalltown, USA.

I was at the hardware store this morning and decided to go next door to the grocery store for a virus apocalypse donut. I did a quick walkthrough, and not only was the hand sanitizer still sold out, but now the bleach was too! Half the toilet paper was gone! The beer section was fully stocked, yet there was a beer delivery going on with pallets and pallets of beer. What does this mean?

Of the three other people in the store, two housewife looking ladies were buying panic supplies. One just had the hand basket of various canned goods. The other one had a shopping cart full of canned soup*, beans, and some pasta among other things. Both just had food items as far as I could tell. The third person was a guy loading up on lottery tickets.

*While I have made positive mention of buying canned soup before, it was related to the Hurricane Katrina example, where I was making a point about the demographics who had satellite TV and cell phones, but zero food and water in the house, with the idea that a case of water and a case of soup might set them back $10 out of their $300 cable and phone bills, and get them by for 72 hours. Nothing wrong with soup per se, other than it's pretty low calorie as a meal. I would have been mixing in higher calorie canned goods if I were that lady. In a real SHTF situation, I'd hate to have to function on 300 calories a day.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."