Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440168 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #850 on: March 14, 2020, 11:06:47 AM »
If the tp situation doesn't get resolved we'll run out in my house in about two weeks.

My workaround is perfectly acceptable to me. The lady in the house is already reaching out to friends just in case, lol. She's never even pee'd in the woods so being without tp would be traumatic.

Hey brother, can you spare a square? 😄
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #851 on: March 14, 2020, 11:07:16 AM »
You know, part of that is the complete unknown about this virus.  One article I read says it's like a respiratory illness that puts you on the couch for a while, you hydrate a d take care.  Absent other health issues, you get better.  Two articles later and I'm reading how this hits like a sledge hammer, the sick have no energy, and most will struggle to breathe, requiring oxygen therapy or mechanical respirators.   Which one is internet crap, and which one is true, I have no idea.

I've been looking at the actual death vs recovered numbers on closed cases, and I don't like where this is going:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

That said, they are not testing everyone, but South Korea is doin g a LOT more testing, and CFR is about 10%:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/

This thing ain't "just like the flu". It has exponential growth, and the cases in the US are doubling every 2.5 days. We are 10 days behind Italy.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #852 on: March 14, 2020, 11:10:46 AM »
Meanwhile

*Sigh*

[img]https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/033/089/cap.png

I'm starting to get irritated now, because there's perishable stuff I like to eat daily (fresh fruit for example), and now  I have to either circle a parking lot for an hour to find a spot, then fight the crowds of toilet paper morons, then stand in the register line for 30 minutes, or go without.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #853 on: March 14, 2020, 11:10:54 AM »
The best part is that if we take the proper measures and it works, everyone will just say that it was no big deal and we didn't need to do all that.
 :facepalm: :mad:

Proving negatives is tough.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #854 on: March 14, 2020, 11:14:07 AM »
Just went to ebay and typed in toilet paper

I hate some people.  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #855 on: March 14, 2020, 11:15:21 AM »

This thing ain't "just like the flu". It has exponential growth, and the cases in the US are doubling every 2.5 days.

Cases are doubling? Or testing, reporting, and people going in for tests are increasing? I'm kinda thinking as testing becomes widely available, and the MSM continues their doomsday marathon, a lot more people who might have thought they had cold symptoms are going to get tested. That's more like 2X more test subjects than actual infection rate increase. We don't have any valid, controlled baselines to project numbers off of.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #856 on: March 14, 2020, 11:17:26 AM »
Plumbers are going to be busy due to certain kinds of paper towels, baby wipes etc.. getting flushed down the toilet.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #857 on: March 14, 2020, 11:18:52 AM »
I *expletive deleted*ing hate people who are buying all the TP.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #858 on: March 14, 2020, 11:20:26 AM »
I'm figuring that the panic buying will calm down in about a week or so as the "temporary normal" cuts in.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #859 on: March 14, 2020, 11:23:40 AM »
I've been looking at the actual death vs recovered numbers on closed cases, and I don't like where this is going:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

That said, they are not testing everyone, but South Korea is doin g a LOT more testing, and CFR is about 10%:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/

This thing ain't "just like the flu". It has exponential growth, and the cases in the US are doubling every 2.5 days. We are 10 days behind Italy.

There are lies, damned lies and statistics.

It might go down like it did in Italy or it might not.

The numbers are only one part of the equation.

How many deaths in Italy are under 80 and how many of those are of Han Chinese descent? How many were smokers, how many patient zero's did they have?  There are a lot of variables. Statistics are only as good as the inputs.

Unfortunately most people are unable to look past the one bit of information and contextualize it to draw a more accurate conclusion.

Personally, I'm in favor of drastic measures in the face of a potentially deadly outbreak if it really is a deadly outbreak, but the fear mongering and doom and gloomers aren't helpful.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:41:08 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #860 on: March 14, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »
Cases are doubling? Or testing, reporting, and people going in for tests are increasing?
Without proper testing we're flying blind. Unfortunately that means landing the plane for a little while.  =(

President Trump said the Department of Energy would buy crude for the nation's strategic petroleum reserve.

"We're going to fill it right to the top," Trump said Friday in a wide-ranging news conference at the White House. He said it will save taxpayers "billions and billions of dollars" while helping an industry that's been reeling.
This is smart.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #861 on: March 14, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
Without proper testing we're flying blind. Unfortunately that means landing the plane for a little while.

I agree with you.

Nothing wrong with an abundance of caution in the face of uncertainty.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #862 on: March 14, 2020, 11:44:57 AM »

Quote from: https://www.npr.org/2020/03/14/815039722/trump-steps-in-to-help-oil-industry-facing-its-own-coronavirus-crisis
President Trump said the Department of Energy would buy crude for the nation's strategic petroleum reserve.

"We're going to fill it right to the top," Trump said Friday in a wide-ranging news conference at the White House. He said it will save taxpayers "billions and billions of dollars" while helping an industry that's been reeling.

This is smart.

Cue the dem knee jerk outrage that Trump is only doing it for his rich oil industry friends
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #863 on: March 14, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »
This is smart.

Cue the dem knee jerk outrage that Trump is only doing it for his rich oil industry friends

Yup. Of course if he was helping his rich oil buddies, he'd be topping off the reserves when oil was $75/barrel instead of the cheapest it's been in a long time. But let's not stop the TDS.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #864 on: March 14, 2020, 11:50:56 AM »
Yup. Of course if he was helping his rich oil buddies, he'd be topping off the reserves when oil was $75/barrel instead of the cheapest it's been in a long time. But let's not stop the TDS.

Feelz > facts
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #865 on: March 14, 2020, 12:14:54 PM »
At root your logic is bad.  Not necessarily about addressing a disease, but about the relative severity of this one.

I guess we'll see.  Well, I'm really hoping we don't see, and it burns out.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #866 on: March 14, 2020, 12:18:01 PM »
It might go down like it did in Italy or it might not.

The numbers are only one part of the equation.

How many deaths in Italy are under 80 and how many of those are of Han Chinese descent? How many were smokers, how many patient zero's did they have?  There are a lot of variables. Statistics are only as good as the inputs.

Unfortunately most people are unable to look past the one bit of information and contextualize it to draw a more accurate conclusion.

Personally, I'm in favor of drastic measures in the face of a potentially deadly outbreak if it really is a deadly outbreak, but the fear mongering and doom and gloomers aren't helpful.

I think we'll shake out somewhere between Italy and South Korea in the end.  One of the biggest factors in the US will absolutely be access to critical care.  Slowing the spread means better access to critical care means better outcomes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #868 on: March 14, 2020, 02:23:00 PM »
The MSM thinks they're immune from responsibility for their actions. Question it and they'll do everything they can to smear you into oblivion    
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #869 on: March 14, 2020, 02:43:40 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #870 on: March 14, 2020, 02:45:56 PM »
If you are involved in running a hospital today, you would want to read this:

http://www.wsha.org/wp-content/uploads/2020-3-12-EvergreenHealth-WSHA_COVID19_TO-SHARE.pdf

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #871 on: March 14, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »
I'm starting to get irritated now, because there's perishable stuff I like to eat daily (fresh fruit for example), and now  I have to either circle a parking lot for an hour to find a spot, then fight the crowds of toilet paper morons, then stand in the register line for 30 minutes, or go without.

That won't last long. In another 48 hours there won't be any toilet paper to be found in any retail channel in the United States, and most households will have enough to last for fifteen years at normal rates of consumption, so the supermarket parking lots will be basically empty.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #872 on: March 14, 2020, 04:08:21 PM »
This is what we are worried about: ventilators and the staff to run them:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/14/815675678/as-the-pandemic-spreads-will-there-be-enough-ventilators

Would CPAP machines be helpful for cases with borderline or marginal need for ventilation?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #873 on: March 14, 2020, 04:19:51 PM »
"He has 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer and nowhere to sell them":

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/He-Has-17-700-Bottles-of-Hand-Sanitizer-and-15131584.php

Boo.

Hoo.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #874 on: March 14, 2020, 05:01:11 PM »
The monkeypocalypse has arrived:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSKH_C2YbpY
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?