Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440167 times)

Jim147

• friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1000 on: March 16, 2020, 04:47:18 PM »
My wife's grandma used to cook and freeze potatoes all the time. Not sure exactly how she did it.

The rest of those I keep in the freezer to keep bugs and vermin out.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1001 on: March 16, 2020, 05:08:29 PM »
What says the hivemind on matter, good, bad or....?

Down further he does show a bit of common sense
Ex-Obama adviser says government should give American adults $1G, every child $500
https://www.foxnews.com/us/amid-coronavirus-fight-ex-obama-adviser-says-govt-should-give-every-american-1g

I am not in favor.  I think Trump's idea of a temporary payroll tax cut is better.  Don't take it in the first place.  This guy wants to take it, run it through the FedGov bureaucracy, then pay out money.  That would probably cost $3000 per person to send out $1000 per person.  

Maybe allow 30 days of unemployment compensation for people who are temporarily not working. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1002 on: March 16, 2020, 05:25:33 PM »
On the sgammo.com home page:

Just got an e-mail from Target Sports USA saying the same thing
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #1003 on: March 16, 2020, 05:28:52 PM »
Looking at the Johns Hopkins COVID-19 tracking page.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

One Provence in China (Hubei) represents a full 96% of their deaths nationwide. I'd like to see the demographics on that.

WTF is going on in Italy?! Their mortality rate is even worse than China (7.71% vs 3.97%).

China and Italy represent 73.9% of deaths worldwide. If you back them out, worldwide mortality drops from 3.9% to 3.3%.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 11:30:39 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1004 on: March 16, 2020, 05:35:06 PM »
Looking at the Johns Hopkins COVID-19 tracking page.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

One City in China (Hubei) represents a full 96% of their deaths nationwide. I'd like to see the demographics on that.

WTF is going on in Italy?! Their mortality rate is even worse than China (7.71% vs 3.97%).

China and Italy represent 73.9% of deaths worldwide. If you back them out, worldwide mortality drops from 3.9% to 3.3%.

Brad
I heard that mentioned about China recently.  If you remove that one province their death rate is pretty low.  The person mentioning it said it was due to getting surprised by a new virus. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1005 on: March 16, 2020, 05:43:54 PM »
The e-commerce giant said it will hire for part-time and full-time roles in its fulfillment centers and delivery network through the United States in order to meet a “surge in demand.” Additionally, Amazon is investing $350 million to fund near-term wage increases for its workers in the United States, Canada and Europe through April.

Amazon to hire 100K workers amid coronavirus shopping spike
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/coronavirus-amazon-hiring-100k-workers-shopping
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1006 on: March 16, 2020, 05:51:20 PM »
Amazon to hire 100K workers amid coronavirus shopping spike
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/coronavirus-amazon-hiring-100k-workers-shopping

Probably all H1B VISA workers from YouKnowWhere and New YouKnowWhere.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1007 on: March 16, 2020, 06:07:20 PM »
Kentucky primary elections postponed from May to June
https://www.wave3.com/2020/03/16/kentucky-primary-elections-postponed-may-june/
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1008 on: March 16, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »
And... Oklahoma just closed all public schools till April 6th.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1009 on: March 16, 2020, 06:27:53 PM »
Just received an email from iAMMO,com - advertising specials on 9mm, 7.62 & .22.  No mention of shipping delays.

Dallas has announced closing of restaurants, movie theaters, etc. at 2400hrs tonight.  Stay closed until further notice.

ETA: https://www.fox4news.com/news/city-of-dallas-dallas-county-close-all-bars-restaurants-gyms-theaters-to-stop-spread-of-covid-19-coronavirus & correct time of implementation.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:44:12 PM by Cliffh »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #1010 on: March 16, 2020, 06:45:20 PM »
The local Walmart finally started stocking just *small* packages of toilet paper ( 4 "megarolls") with a limit of 1 package per customer.  I got one today, so I can wipe my butt now without feeling guilty for using up my parents' limited supply.  ;/

I went to Aldi today, and they were limiting the number of customers in the store.  Doors locked; small line outside.  They would let somebody out and let somebody in, then lock the door again.  It wouldn't be so bad, except there was only one checkout line open, and the cashier was also manning the door.   (WTF?)  Poor girl was running herself ragged, and checkout was taking an awfully long time.  When I got checked out, I went over and unlocked the door myself and said "Next!" as I left, then shut the door behind the person who came in but obviously I couldn't lock it.  No idea if that caught on or not.  If people behaved themself (and they were) it would triple the throughput.  But the real problem was not enough staff.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:10:05 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1011 on: March 16, 2020, 06:55:47 PM »
Freeze rice, beans, and flour for 30 days to kill critters and eggs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1012 on: March 16, 2020, 08:39:29 PM »
I got nothing  :facepalm:

Woman licking plane toilet seat for 'coronavirus challenge' is slammed by Meghan McCain, others on Twitter
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/womans-coronavirus-challenge-viral-slammed
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1013 on: March 16, 2020, 08:39:41 PM »
Stopped by the store for a few things.
No packaged bread except some cinnamon swirl and raisin and such.
No milk
No eggs
Very little cheese
Very little fresh meat
Very little cured meat
Heavily picked over frozen goods
Only a couple packages of wheat flour and some tiny packs of self rising flour
One leaking 25lb bag of sugar and four 5 pound packages of Domino sugar.
Only name-brand cooking oil
No sanitizing cleaner
No rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide
No bleach

Crazy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1014 on: March 16, 2020, 09:00:18 PM »
Stopped by the store for a few things.
No packaged bread except some cinnamon swirl and raisin and such.
No milk
No eggs
Very little cheese
Very little fresh meat
Very little cured meat
Heavily picked over frozen goods
Only a couple packages of wheat flour and some tiny packs of self rising flour
One leaking 25lb bag of sugar and four 5 pound packages of Domino sugar.
Only name-brand cooking oil
No sanitizing cleaner
No rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide
No bleach

Crazy.

Wow. I was busy and didn't make it to my store today. I'm going there tomorrow morning, and I'm expecting that they'll have finally been hit. Interesting on the bread. I'm glad I picked up an extra 20lb of flour at the Costco before they went completely crazy. I now put 20lbs in the freezer and have another 30lbs in airtight flour containers in the pantry. If I go completely to baking my own bread, instead of mixing store bought and homemade, between breadmaking and occasional pancakes and biscuits and whatnot, I'll use maybe 2-3lbs a week.

I'm curious to see what my Costco is like this week, but then again I'm not. I'd really like to pick up an extra package or two of meat. I usually buy their ribeye and tritip packages which run $40-$60, so they might still be available unless the regular crowds get really desperate. Maybe I'll drive by in the morning and if their parking lot isn't completely full, will have a looksee.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #1016 on: March 16, 2020, 10:34:39 PM »
Things are clamping down in Kansas City.  Most of the Kansas City area will ban gatherings of more than 10 people, close movie theaters and prohibit restaurants from offering dine-in service.  In Johnson County, Public Health ordered all schools closed through April 5.

Several large companies have announced work from home policies.

The only store I've been to recently is Menards, which was normal, except for being out of stock on TP.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1017 on: March 17, 2020, 12:28:57 AM »
Boss told us to work from home if we can. 

Elk hunting buddy went to Cabela's.  Said reloading powder is wiped out, .223 is gone.  .22lr was available for $7/100rd.

Local Costco out of pretty much all paper products, cleaning supplies, flour/sugar/rice/beans/etc.  Little meat or cheese.  Plenty of perishables though.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #1018 on: March 17, 2020, 06:06:05 AM »

I read somewhere that Italy is testing post mortem and any that test positive are being marked towards Covid-19, actual cause of death to be determined at a later date.
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1019 on: March 17, 2020, 08:01:32 AM »
It took me two stores, but I was able to get a few things this morning.

Wegman's across from my office has half and half, milk, eggs, and cheese. They also had, amazingly enough, onions. Only red onions, and pretty picked over, but I'm going to make a pot of chili tonight, so no big deal. The meat cases, on the other hand, still look like a vegetarian's wet dream. Only high end cuts of meat. Canned goods were spotty.

The local Giant actually had some meat -- chicken and some ground beef, but still no ground turkey. I grabbed a family pack of chicken breasts. I'll make a pot of chili with a couple of vacuum seal the others for the deep freeze. I was also able to get canned beans at Giant. Haven't seen much in the way of canned beans since last week.

Hopefully this is easing a bit as people calm the *expletive deleted*ck down and realize that they've bought enough stuff to last them for awhile.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1020 on: March 17, 2020, 08:29:10 AM »
I think it is the opposite Mike. People are seeing empty shelves and buying whatever they can.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1021 on: March 17, 2020, 08:33:19 AM »
It took me two stores, but I was able to get a few things this morning.

Wegman's across from my office has half and half, milk, eggs, and cheese. They also had, amazingly enough, onions. Only red onions, and pretty picked over, but I'm going to make a pot of chili tonight, so no big deal. The meat cases, on the other hand, still look like a vegetarian's wet dream. Only high end cuts of meat. Canned goods were spotty.

The local Giant actually had some meat -- chicken and some ground beef, but still no ground turkey. I grabbed a family pack of chicken breasts. I'll make a pot of chili with a couple of vacuum seal the others for the deep freeze. I was also able to get canned beans at Giant. Haven't seen much in the way of canned beans since last week.

Hopefully this is easing a bit as people calm the *expletive deleted*ck down and realize that they've bought enough stuff to last them for awhile.

Stopped by Kroger last night because I had the sudden urge to make corned beef today.

No corned beef. No potatoes. No cabbage. No chicken. Mainly expensive cuts of beef. A little pork. Cheese section almost completely empty.

You know what they did have plenty of? Lunchmeat. How do you buy up all the fresh meat in a panic and leave the much more stable lunchmeat?!?

I didn't even look down the paper products aisle, but I'm sure it was cleaned out as well. People are just crazy.

On the other hand, maybe, as you say, people who actually have a small cushion of food will calm down a little since, apparently, people don't keep more than a couple days of food at home.

On my search, though, they did have sausages and we already had some potatoes and cabbage at home, so we're doing sausage, potato, and cabbage soup for St. Patrick's Day.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1022 on: March 17, 2020, 08:39:50 AM »

No corned beef. No potatoes. No cabbage. No chicken. Mainly expensive cuts of beef. A little pork. Cheese section almost completely empty.

Dammit. I bought the corned beef over two weeks ago, but waited on the cabbage. I'm thinking good luck finding some this morning. I might have to tweak my Paddy menu or else just hold onto the corned beef until thingas calm down and I can buy some *expletive deleted*ing cabbage.

I tend to agree with Cordex - this food hoarding seems to be ramping up rather than slowing down. Even though I'm betting three months from now, Americans will be throwing away tons and tons of spoiled/expired food.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1023 on: March 17, 2020, 08:44:35 AM »
Local grocery near me was the same.  No butter either.  That surprised me. 

I was able to get plenty of orange juice which is why I stopped by.  I realized I was out of milk afterward which they also had.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1024 on: March 17, 2020, 08:48:32 AM »
Is he flipping off the picture taker?

Man at Italian market spotted wearing social distancing 'doughnut' amid coronavirus pandemic
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/man-italy-wearing-social-distancing-doughnut-amid-coronavirus-pandemic
- Calvin and Hobbes