Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440445 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1025 on: March 17, 2020, 08:55:55 AM »
I think it is the opposite Mike. People are seeing empty shelves and buying whatever they can.

That was the first couple of days when the schools started shutting down.

I think things are going to calm the hell down given that a lot of people have laid in a lot of supplies.

Yes, there is some "I'll buy anything that I can! I can eat cat treats, right?" going on, but that's also going to start calming down as the first wave of panic monkeys realizes that they have 1,200 rolls of toilet paper and enough food to feed a small army for a month and no where to sit in their houses.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1026 on: March 17, 2020, 08:57:10 AM »
I have a corned beef in the deep freeze that I really should use.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1027 on: March 17, 2020, 08:59:20 AM »
Forgot...

Yesterday Pennsylvania's commie in charge announced that non-essential government agencies would be shutting down, including the PA controlled wine and spirits shops. Apparently that set off quite the rush AND quite the howl.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1028 on: March 17, 2020, 09:01:26 AM »
I think things are going to calm the hell down given that a lot of people have laid in a lot of supplies.

I think there's a regional component too. My neck of the woods seems to be a week or so behind the curve on the start of the hoarding. Other places might already be on the downhill side of peak panic.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1029 on: March 17, 2020, 09:14:42 AM »
I wonder how much of the hoarding is people who eat out all the time suddenly trying to cook.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1030 on: March 17, 2020, 09:25:43 AM »
I wonder how much of the hoarding is people who eat out all the time suddenly trying to cook.

Around here especially.  DC/MD/VA is all hustle and bustle, people don't eat at home that much.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1031 on: March 17, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »
Around here especially.  DC/MD/VA is all hustle and bustle, people don't eat at home that much.

Also a lot of the hustle/bustle people in metros or hipster locations, if they do cook, always want daily fresh ingredients from the Trader Blows. A good portion of my former coworkers wouldn't think about keeping canned goods or a lot of frozen foods. They might cook something fresh on a Sunday in a big batch to bring to work for lunch for a few days that week, but that's the extent of leftovers or stored food.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1032 on: March 17, 2020, 09:57:25 AM »
https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/1239748037359988737?s=20

James Woods shared this lady's short video on Twitter.  It is pretty good.  "Y'all, it doesn't matter what we do.  There are so many stupid people in this world, we are never going to survive anyway."   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1033 on: March 17, 2020, 10:28:56 AM »
Ammo supply drying up, what's left is jumping up in price.

And then there's Cheaper Than Dirt keeping with tradition and taking it to a whole new level, as in $980 for a case of 5.56

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/winchester-lake-city-5.56-nato-ammunition-1000-rounds-fmj-55-grains/FC-020892225084.html

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1034 on: March 17, 2020, 10:43:33 AM »
Slight tangent, but I'm getting sick of this. These people are retarded with their PC "Oh no xenophobia!" crap as their primary concern regarding a virus outbreak. Does anyone NOT know it as the Spanish Flu?

Also a good point I saw elsewhere - China is apparently waging a background propaganda war against us in an effort to blame the US for COVID. This is supposedly one of the reasons the Trump admin has been using "Chinese flu", as a defensive tactic. Yet the MSM is backing China via their PC outrage.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/17/david-frum-apologizes-for-his-spanish-flu-dumb-mistake-but-not-the-one-hes-getting-roasted-for/

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1035 on: March 17, 2020, 10:44:25 AM »
That was the first couple of days when the schools started shutting down.

Yes, there is some "I'll buy anything that I can! I can eat cat treats, right?" going on, but that's also going to start calming down as the first wave of panic monkeys realizes that they have 1,200 rolls of toilet paper and enough food to feed a small army for a month and no where to sit in their houses.
I don't think all that many people got a lot of supplies.  As with most hoarding events a few did, but they were buying a bunch if not to depletion.  The next people saw low stock and bought what was left and then a bunch of other stuff.  There are plenty of people out there who don't have a lot of staples and weren't able to buy them.  They won't starve - plenty of calories are still available - but they aren't able to buy what they want or as cheaply as they want, so when they see a staple they'll buy more than usual which will push this on even longer.

Based on what I'm seeing in my area I think it's going to be a good bit until stores can keep staples on the shelf.  It's a psychological thing, not necessity.  Even if folks already have a gallon of milk in the fridge they will remember when the shelves were completely empty and will be tempted to buy another gallon just in case, which means less milk for the next guy.  The solution to that is going to be supply-side flooding.  When people start to see full shelves for a few visits running then they'll calm down.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #1036 on: March 17, 2020, 10:45:49 AM »
I guess because of the chance of midwest tornados, severe winter blizzards, and old fashioned self reliant farm and frontier ancestry, we just live pretty well prepared all the time.
We didn't really NEED anything. Saturday my wife picked up some extra rice and a small amount of extra canned food. I topped off the gas tanks on 2 vehicles and plan on filling a couple diesel cans.
I went to the library for a stack of DVDs for the workbench player and a couple books before they locked it down yesterday (No TV or internet at casa Kingcreek except for iphone and limited data plan).

We currently have ZERO official positive COVIDs in our county but our Illinois governor, health dept, parks and DNR, everything is shutting down. Banks are locking lobby doors (should I have pulled some cash in addition to the $500 emergency cash we keep at home? Nah.)

It FEELS like a forced vacation but I cant go fishing at the state lake 1 mile from my house. I guess I'll do some work on my jeep and get started on overhauling my fishing boat. Nice enough today I might get my bicycle out for a ride, I just can't do my usual on the state park roads. Maybe I'll ride around the outside of it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1037 on: March 17, 2020, 10:47:36 AM »
https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/1239748037359988737?s=20

James Woods shared this lady's short video on Twitter.  It is pretty good.  "Y'all, it doesn't matter what we do.  There are so many stupid people in this world, we are never going to survive anyway."   =D

Her point about the pin pad is a good one.  I brought it up with GF 2 weeks ago, that every transaction, with cash or card, is going to be a transfer of biology.  We discussed possibly carrying some sort of wipes to wipe down pin pads or POS machines, but determined it was too much of a pain, especially with the possibility of unintended keystrokes on touchpads.

Not sure if cash is going to be cleaner than plastic or not.  Especially once you start getting into all the coin swapping.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #1038 on: March 17, 2020, 10:49:13 AM »
I did NOT buy ammo. wasn't even tempted.

I have many thousands of rounds already just sitting there and I could sit down and load another 10K with the components on hand.
I just have to try and live long enough to use it up!
What we have here is failure to communicate.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #1039 on: March 17, 2020, 10:51:00 AM »
Her point about the pin pad is a good one.  I brought it up with GF 2 weeks ago, that every transaction, with cash or card, is going to be a transfer of biology.  We discussed possibly carrying some sort of wipes to wipe down pin pads or POS machines, but determined it was too much of a pain, especially with the possibility of unintended keystrokes on touchpads.

Not sure if cash is going to be cleaner than plastic or not.  Especially once you start getting into all the coin swapping.

I've been using my credit card, with the chip in it, tit doesn't ask for a pin.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1040 on: March 17, 2020, 10:51:39 AM »
currently have ZERO official positive COVIDs in our county but our Illinois governor, health dept, parks and DNR, everything is shutting down. Banks are locking lobby doors (should I have pulled some cash in addition to the $500 emergency cash we keep at home? Nah.)

It FEELS like a forced vacation but I cant go fishing at the state lake 1 mile from my house. I guess I'll do some work on my jeep and get started on overhauling my fishing boat. Nice enough today I might get my bicycle out for a ride, I just can't do my usual on the state park roads. Maybe I'll ride around the outside of it.

Why can't you go fishing?  No one is coughing on each other or in close proximity.  

We went hiking this weekend.  Four miles up a lovely riparian canyon full of oaks and pines and a roaring creek, not 10 miles away from a desert full of saguaros.  We saw other hikers, including some Scouts.  Everyone smiled and waved and kept polite distance, but enjoyed themselves.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1041 on: March 17, 2020, 10:52:45 AM »
Cash is already disgusting.  Store touch screens and pin pads are exactly why we don't touch our *expletive deleted*ing faces and wash our dirty hands.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1042 on: March 17, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »
I've been using my credit card, with the chip in it, tit doesn't ask for a pin.
That is good especially if you go to those places.   =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1043 on: March 17, 2020, 11:01:56 AM »
I am at least happy that I stocked up on most things last month since we were already talking about this and what might happen (the reaction to it that is).  

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1044 on: March 17, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »
Local Walmart passed out spray bottles of disinfectant the other day with instructions for the cashiers to wipe down the POS (Point of Sale pin pad) after each customer.

Some did/do, some don't....

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1045 on: March 17, 2020, 11:06:01 AM »
Cash is already disgusting.  Store touch screens and pin pads are exactly why we don't touch our *expletive deleted*ing faces and wash our dirty hands.

I always cringe when I see someone stick some bills in their mouth to free up their hands to do something...

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1046 on: March 17, 2020, 11:12:49 AM »
Also a good point I saw elsewhere - China is apparently waging a background propaganda war against us in an effort to blame the US for COVID. This is supposedly one of the reasons the Trump admin has been using "Chinese flu", as a defensive tactic. Yet the MSM is backing China via their PC outrage.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/03/17/david-frum-apologizes-for-his-spanish-flu-dumb-mistake-but-not-the-one-hes-getting-roasted-for/

The MSM & dems started the groundwork for that a while back while C19 was still a nearly 100% Chinese problem. Anything to improve their odds come Nov 3rd.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1047 on: March 17, 2020, 11:14:46 AM »
The MSM & dems started the groundwork for that a while back while C19 was still a nearly 100% Chinese problem. Anything to improve their odds come Nov 3rd.
Many of them are in bed with China in one way or another anyway.  If not them, then their parent companies. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1048 on: March 17, 2020, 11:21:14 AM »
We SHOULD pin this on the Chinese as much as possible, maybe start calling it the Xi-SARS or CCP-Death...

I tried the local Pig again last night- completely packed. I don't get it, if people are staying home, why do they need to pack the store at 5PM?

Drove on to Kwik Trip- they had nearly everything I needed- Hamburger, brats, bacon(was on sale!), eggs, milk, taco shells, etc. Unfortunately they were out of potatoes...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #1049 on: March 17, 2020, 11:24:00 AM »
We SHOULD pin this on the Chinese as much as possible, maybe start calling it the Xi-SARS or CCP-Death...

I tried the local Pig again last night- completely packed. I don't get it, if people are staying home, why do they need to pack the store at 5PM?

Drove on to Kwik Trip- they had nearly everything I needed- Hamburger, brats, bacon(was on sale!), eggs, milk, taco shells, etc. Unfortunately they were out of potatoes...

If you have to go to the grocery store, do it at 5AM, not 5PM.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?