Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 439939 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1100 on: March 18, 2020, 07:43:10 AM »
Local Pig was empty at 7:30 last night. Picked up 5lb bacon, 5lb cod, 5lb hamburger, more bratwurst, and bread. I'm now set for awhile.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1101 on: March 18, 2020, 07:47:23 AM »
"Reports from surviving victims of avalanches are that the most horrifying thing, even if you have a pocket of air, is there's no way to tell which way is up."

That's why you spit. Your spit will tell you which way is up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1102 on: March 18, 2020, 08:27:06 AM »
Now I'm wondering if panic buying will ramp back up again. I just heard on the news (broadcast from some city somewhere), that while Costco and Target are both limiting hours (and Costco people at anyone time), they are both also considering completely closing. If warehouse stores like Costco and Sam's talk about closing, that's going to cause a second big round of panic buying, IMO.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1103 on: March 18, 2020, 08:38:26 AM »
Now I'm wondering if panic buying will ramp back up again. I just heard on the news (broadcast from some city somewhere), that while Costco and Target are both limiting hours (and Costco people at anyone time), they are both also considering completely closing. If warehouse stores like Costco and Sam's talk about closing, that's going to cause a second big round of panic buying, IMO.

I promise it will.  The US is still suffering from a serious lagtime on tests.  The media will report the raw number, without reporting how many are actually critical vs. just positive.  When cases jump dramatically in the next 7 days, people will *expletive deleted*it themselves.  Even the death toll will jump, because there are people who doctors know are critically ill now, but can't be tested.  They'll be tested post mortem and added to the numbers.

I would not want to live in any major metropolitan area in the next 2 weeks.  Things are going to get *expletive deleted*ing ugly.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #1104 on: March 18, 2020, 08:59:10 AM »
My wife just had a wedding gig in May cancelled since the groom and most of the family won't be allowed to fly in...

First personal financial hit we've taken. (And it's nothing compared to most small businesses- we don't rely on her earnings. They're just nice to have.)

My older daughter and her husband are musicians.  This plus the loss of student music lessons is definitely hitting them.  (He also does instrument repair, but that's got a high "social distancing" score.)

Any Gov't freebie money (if and when) will prob. go to helping them and other kids & grandkids stay solvent and provided for.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:08:06 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #1105 on: March 18, 2020, 09:02:44 AM »
My brother the nurse BookFace messaged me this:

I signed up at work to man the corona isolation unit once cases ramp up. We will get to wear negative pressure helmets and 'bunny suits'.
Asked about danger pay and got no answer...

There's one case in his county, last I heard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1106 on: March 18, 2020, 09:18:37 AM »
https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/people-with-blood-type-a-might-be-more-susceptible-to-coronavirus-study-finds/

Researchers studying COVID-19 in its outbreak epicenter, Wuhan, and the city of Shenzhen found the proportion of type A patients both infected and killed by the disease to be “significantly” higher than those with the same blood type in the general public.

Type O patients, meanwhile, made up a smaller proportion of both those infected and killed by the virus.

Another factor to throw in the mix maybe.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1107 on: March 18, 2020, 09:22:33 AM »
22 cases in a nursing home in the town south of me.

For a reference point County Line Rd runs along our cities. The two counties are Cook (contains Chicago) and Dupage Co.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1109 on: March 18, 2020, 09:43:07 AM »
UPDATE: Conspiracy-bro is no longer talking about how the virus was engineered to only affect Asians.

Stay tuned.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #1111 on: March 18, 2020, 09:53:35 AM »
I promise it will.  The US is still suffering from a serious lagtime on tests.  The media will report the raw number, without reporting how many are actually critical vs. just positive.  When cases jump dramatically in the next 7 days, people will *expletive deleted*it themselves.  Even the death toll will jump, because there are people who doctors know are critically ill now, but can't be tested.  They'll be tested post mortem and added to the numbers.

I would not want to live in any major metropolitan area in the next 2 weeks.  Things are going to get *expletive deleted*ing ugly.

You are right about the lag time. Once the tests roll out by the millions you will see a significant jump in positives here in the US, but then again I believe it will drive down the mortality because so many will test positive and still be walking among us, in a manner of speaking.

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1113 on: March 18, 2020, 10:00:11 AM »
Let's hope the FDA and CDC actually let people use it.

California is already doing the paper work to get it declared a possible carcinogen
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1114 on: March 18, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »
You are right about the lag time. Once the tests roll out by the millions you will see a significant jump in positives here in the US, but then again I believe it will drive down the mortality because so many will test positive and still be walking among us, in a manner of speaking.

bob

I think Florida's lack of consistency will give us a higher mortality rate.  Their population skews older.  But I would bet we are south of Italy's percentages overall when this shakes out.  

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #1115 on: March 18, 2020, 10:03:06 AM »
22 cases in a nursing home in the town south of me.

For a reference point County Line Rd runs along our cities. The two counties are Cook (contains Chicago) and Dupage Co.

would not want to be running a nursing home right now.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #1116 on: March 18, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »
would not want to be running a nursing home right now.

Wouldn't want to BE in a Nursing Home right now.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1117 on: March 18, 2020, 10:06:04 AM »
Wouldn't want to BE in a Nursing Home right now.

bob

This x1,000,000
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1118 on: March 18, 2020, 10:43:09 AM »
Might be a tangent, but what percentage of the population do you guys think will have learned a lesson about being prepared? I have spent the last 20 or more years being made fun of by family, friends, frenemies, whoever, because of my one open and two unopened cases of TP, the couple of cases of MREs, the bags of rice and beans, freeze dried foods, etc. The generators, batteries, water purification, etc.

None of them are laughing now. However, I have to wonder how long that will last? Lots of people now talk about having emergency supplies on hand, but I have to wonder how many of them will create a stock of emergency supplies after everything is back to normal and there is an abundance of supplies. My guess is that this time next year there might be an extra 10% of the population that keeps at least a week's supply of stuff around. That might be optimistic. Five years from now, half that 10% will say, "This is stupid" and stop doing it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #1119 on: March 18, 2020, 10:56:18 AM »
I haven’t run my Honda generator for awhile. I think I’ll dump the fuel and refill with some new cheap gas and run it tomorrow.
I’m going try the Costco thing tomorrow also. 50 miles away but gas is 1.75 there compared to 2.30 here and I have a couple empty cans. If I don’t have to wait in line I’ll pick up some wine and coffee and some ribs.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1120 on: March 18, 2020, 10:57:14 AM »
I promise it will.  The US is still suffering from a serious lagtime on tests.  The media will report the raw number, without reporting how many are actually critical vs. just positive.  When cases jump dramatically in the next 7 days, people will *expletive deleted*it themselves.  Even the death toll will jump, because there are people who doctors know are critically ill now, but can't be tested.  They'll be tested post mortem and added to the numbers.

I would not want to live in any major metropolitan area in the next 2 weeks.  Things are going to get *expletive deleted*ing ugly.

Annndd that's why people are stocking up on TP  :rofl:

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1121 on: March 18, 2020, 11:00:00 AM »
Might be a tangent, but what percentage of the population do you guys think will have learned a lesson about being prepared? I have spent the last 20 or more years being made fun of by family, friends, frenemies, whoever, because of my one open and two unopened cases of TP, the couple of cases of MREs, the bags of rice and beans, freeze dried foods, etc. The generators, batteries, water purification, etc.

None of them are laughing now. However, I have to wonder how long that will last? Lots of people now talk about having emergency supplies on hand, but I have to wonder how many of them will create a stock of emergency supplies after everything is back to normal and there is an abundance of supplies. My guess is that this time next year there might be an extra 10% of the population that keeps at least a week's supply of stuff around. That might be optimistic. Five years from now, half that 10% will say, "This is stupid" and stop doing it.

Same.

Saw it on Facetoob last night "A month ago everyone made fun of you for being a prepper or homeschooler, now everyone is a prepper and homeschooler."
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1122 on: March 18, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »

You may be right about the percentage who will learn.  I think some people need to learn the prepping lesson personally in order for that to stay in their thinking. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #1123 on: March 18, 2020, 11:37:00 AM »
My guess is that this time next year there might be an extra 10% of the population that keeps at least a week's supply of stuff around. T

That sounds about right. I do think the empty store shelves are having a significant psychological effect so it will stick with some people.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #1124 on: March 18, 2020, 11:39:03 AM »
For a supply-side report, if y'all will remember I drive for a large meat packing company and last Friday the trailer drop yard here was packed to overflowing. Today it's practically a ghost town. Basically just us 5 company drivers based here and a few other regulars around. And other trucks only drifting in occasionally. Don't know what's happening on the live side since that's half a mile from here.

The truck stops aren't empty but they're far from jumping too. Not sure what that means considering the heavy demands on supplies.