Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 444154 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1125 on: March 18, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coronavirus/article241254951.html
Fort Worth police won’t arrest people for low-level crimes amid coronavirus outbreak

I bet this is happening all over even if it is not a set policy.  Stay safe.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1126 on: March 18, 2020, 11:48:23 AM »
I've got a good tractor and the ground is soft.
SSS
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Kingcreek

• friend
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1129 on: March 18, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »
Giant food store near my office has more produce than I've seen in a week. Pretty much some quantity of everything you'd expect to see. I didn't check out eggs or milk.

Meat is still sketchy, but there was some ground beef, some ground turkey, and some lesser cuts of beef (chuck roast, that sort of thing). Also some pork chops.

Toilet tissue, paper towels? Nope.

Signs everywhere asking people not to be aholes and buy more than they needed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1130 on: March 18, 2020, 12:51:40 PM »
Giant food store near my office has more produce than I've seen in a week. Pretty much some quantity of everything you'd expect to see. I didn't check out eggs or milk.

Meat is still sketchy, but there was some ground beef, some ground turkey, and some lesser cuts of beef (chuck roast, that sort of thing). Also some pork chops.

Toilet tissue, paper towels? Nope.

Signs everywhere asking people not to be aholes and buy more than they needed.

I suspect food supplies will stabilize.  We should see more runs on food, but not like the initial one.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1131 on: March 18, 2020, 01:20:42 PM »
I had to run to the farm store in Ontario, OR (Hi 230RN!) and decided to stop at the Albertsons there. They were surprisingly well-stocked. I picked up the milk I couldn't get yesterday as well as some polish sausage for my breakfast scrambles (they had sausages, but most meats were in short supply). I forgot to look for *expletive deleted*ing eggs though!  :mad:

They were out of TP and cleaning supplies and also out of all the varieties of your typical "wonder bread" type sliced breads. Comically, this Albertsons has a bakery and the fresh bread shelves were full. Sold out of potatoes.

Decided to try my little store (in an undisclosed location in a certain state) again for the potatoes. No go, but I picked up some tri-tip since my store still seems to stay well-stocked in good cuts of cow meat. The checker told me they are now not even getting potato deliveries and hoping maybe something comes in on Friday. It's cracking me up that the potato state is out of potatoes.

So what I'm learning is that even in the same general region, supplies can really vary by store. Meat at my store, but not at Albertsons; full shelves of milk at Albertsons, but empty milk shelves at my store. In fact the checker at my store told me her sister spent half the day yesterday driving to eight different stores to fill her shopping list .Her sister also did the same thing I did yesterday: showed up to Costco, saw the lines and said, "screw this!" and turned around.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1132 on: March 18, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »
This morning my little small town regional grocery chain had a good supply of meat including lunch meat stuff. Milk cooler was low but not empty, produce looked reasonably well stocked. Rice and dried beens were low and selection was poor but the canned veggies was fairly well stocked. Bread shelves had the usual selection of the cheaper brands. They actually had 5 4-roll packs of cheap TP, I bought one, the store has a limit of one pack per customer per day. Plenty of bottled water.

I've got a 30 gallon trashcan full of sawdust from my planer, I tink it is time to learn how to make paper from wood pulp.  :rofl:

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1133 on: March 18, 2020, 01:44:39 PM »
The ditzoid "econ major" from the Bronx is insisting on "rent suspension" as part of the virus response. So renters don't pay rent, the property owners don't have money for the mortgage, then what?  ;/

Also, I'd be curious to see just how well this would work out if it's over say, six months from now. If someone's paying $1000/mo x 6 months = $6000, will they pay the landlord the six grand back at that time? Or will they say the spent the money and can't pay it back? Since the new rules also call for a ban on evictions, that'll work out nice, for one of the parties at least.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc-progressives-coronavirus-relief
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1134 on: March 18, 2020, 01:47:56 PM »
The ditzoid "econ major" from the Bronx is insisting on "rent suspension" as part of the virus response. So renters don't pay rent, the property owners don't have money for the mortgage, then what?  ;/

Also, I'd be curious to see just how well this would work out if it's over say, six months from now. If someone's paying $1000/mo x 6 months = $6000, will they pay the landlord the six grand back at that time? Or will they say the spent the money and can't pay it back? Since the new rules also call for a ban on evictions, that'll work out nice, for one of the parties at least.

Well, since the fed is loaning money to banks at 0% interest now.....
The only way you get this to work is suspend mortgage payments like Italy.  Most rentals are privately owned, and leveraged.  Joe the private investor has a couple town homes, he put 10% down on them and bought them from foreclosure. He's still making a mortgage payment, which was leveraged off of the rental history on said property.

I'm not saying I support the idea, but I like it better than just throwing money at the airlines or the banks. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1135 on: March 18, 2020, 01:52:47 PM »
Well, since the fed is loaning money to banks at 0% interest now.....
The only way you get this to work is suspend mortgage payments like Italy.  Most rentals are privately owned, and leveraged.  Joe the private investor has a couple town homes, he put 10% down on them and bought them from foreclosure. He's still making a mortgage payment, which was leveraged off of the rental history on said property.

I'm not saying I support the idea, but I like it better than just throwing money at the airlines or the banks. 

As a formerly Joe the private investor landlord, while I don't like the free money idea, I would accept that it would work if I got to skip mortgage payments (though I would still have prop taxes, insurance, need to repair damages, etc). "Rent relief" is better absorbed by corporate landlords, and the problem is that AOC and her ilk think every residential rental is owned by a corporation or fat cat or something, not some schmuck looking to to try and make retirement money on top of their 9-5 job so as not to live off the largess of the gov.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #1136 on: March 18, 2020, 01:53:29 PM »

Yup, there are a lot of bad bailout options but some are significantly worse than others.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #1137 on: March 18, 2020, 01:55:25 PM »

<AOC>"It's just all numbers.  You're confusing me."</AOC>
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #1138 on: March 18, 2020, 02:09:15 PM »
I had to go to the store yesterday. I decided to go to the small country town Food Lion, rather than the one closer to the city.

There were only two things I was buying that had taken a serious hit. Bottled water (which I expected) and cheese... Yes, cheese.  ??? Of course the paper products aisle was a barren wasteland. The microwave dinner section had also been seriously riffled through but most items where not significantly depleted. Produce had taken a hit, but there were still a lot of things. All in all, it looked like a thundering herd had come through and left most things behind.

The only thing that this changes for me right now is postponing job hunting. Other than that I was already "self isolating". The only problem is that this was a nice and much needed isolation in January. February, I started getting tetchy, but I had a drain and stitches up the top of my ass. Now, I'm ready to go back out into the world and the world had shut down.  :facepalm:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1139 on: March 18, 2020, 02:22:12 PM »
the world didn't want to deal with the stitches in your ass, either, I guess...  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1140 on: March 18, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »
Things are looking up.  Following the Italy curve, we're only a few days away from free P0rnhub Premium!   :rofl:
JD

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #1141 on: March 18, 2020, 02:26:41 PM »
the world didn't want to deal with the stitches in your ass, either, I guess...  :rofl:

Yeah, well, thanks to my newly diagnosed skin condition, I might be finding out what the world thinks of stitches in my boobs too.

You watch. This Corvid 19 *expletive deleted*it will all clear up right as they decide they need to cut me again.  :facepalm:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1142 on: March 18, 2020, 02:34:02 PM »
I had to go to the store yesterday. I decided to go to the small country town Food Lion, rather than the one closer to the city.

There were only two things I was buying that had taken a serious hit. Bottled water (which I expected) and cheese... Yes, cheese.  ??? Of course the paper products aisle was a barren wasteland. The microwave dinner section had also been seriously riffled through but most items where not significantly depleted. Produce had taken a hit, but there were still a lot of things. All in all, it looked like a thundering herd had come through and left most things behind.

At a supermarket in St. Louis County, the usual wall of luncheon meats was reduced to just a few packages. I hear that's not uncommon these days.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1143 on: March 18, 2020, 02:35:41 PM »
Lunch meat and cheese have been spotty when I've looked.

A day or so ago I hit the Wegman's across the street from my office and the sliced and shredded cheese section was pretty full. Yesterday at Giant when I stopped, it was pretty spotty.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #1144 on: March 18, 2020, 02:37:34 PM »
Yeah, except lunch meat and bread were good. So was the cracker aisle and wine was pretty well stocked, so I don't know what they're doing with the cheese.  ???

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1145 on: March 18, 2020, 03:13:33 PM »
Lunch meat has been well-stocked everywhere I've been. I've been surprised as most of that stuff has like a couple of weeks of shelf life in the fridge, and is easy to toss in the freezer.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1147 on: March 18, 2020, 03:21:59 PM »
Yeah, except lunch meat and bread were good. So was the cracker aisle and wine was pretty well stocked, so I don't know what they're doing with the cheese.  ???

Everyone's got their kids home.  I know a lot of people who normally let their kids buy lunch, are now responsible for feeding the kids at home.

We usually make them take a lunch 4/5 days a week, so we generally  have lunch stuff.  And since they're home, they can eat leftovers etc.
JD

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1148 on: March 18, 2020, 04:49:48 PM »
I'm the Toilet Paper King!
Sams got a shipment of TP just as I got there.
45 rolls per case, 400 cases in the shipment (I asked)
Limit 2
All gone in minutes.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1149 on: March 18, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »
Anyone hearing anything about a national shelter in place announcement?