Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440165 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1150 on: March 18, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »
Anyone hearing anything about a national shelter in place announcement?
Not yet.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1151 on: March 18, 2020, 05:14:49 PM »
I wonder how spring break + many retirees in Florida will work out?

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/spring-break-backlash-amid-coronavirus-outbreak
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1152 on: March 18, 2020, 05:18:35 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/media/coronavirus-questions-answered-grocery-store-trips-pregnant-women

I just read the above and it reminded me of what I forgot to report in today's shopping report: Nobody seems to know what "social distancing" is. People were all within a couple of feet of each other in the checkout lines today. I will say that I saw several seniors wearing surgical masks, nitrile gloves, or both. Good for them, especially on the gloves. Everywhere I've been that sells them is pretty much fully stocked, even though IMO and based on my reading, gloves are about 10X better prevention than a mask.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1153 on: March 18, 2020, 05:22:05 PM »
Reading some people are putting up Christmas lights.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1154 on: March 18, 2020, 05:32:22 PM »

They might as well pull the trigger on that, put the final nail in the coffin of the US economy and any chance Trump had of reelection.   ;/
And the MSM and TPTB had damn well better start this whole BS panic business each and every year from here on out at the beginning of every flu season.  It would make a whole lot more sense.   :facepalm:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1155 on: March 18, 2020, 05:33:38 PM »
They might as well pull the trigger on that, put the final nail in the coffin of the US economy and any chance Trump had of reelection.
And the MSM and TPTB had damn well better start this whole panic business each and every year from here on out at the beginning of every flu election season year.

FIFY
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #1156 on: March 18, 2020, 06:11:01 PM »
Talked to my boss today.  The only customers (other than any resturants) we have that have closed up are the library, and a local social services agency.  I would not be surprised if the courthouse I deal with a lot mostly closed up. 

He's expecting me to be out the rest of the month, in my impromptu personal isolation.  I have a dr. checkup coming Monday, and I will ask him if my state warrants that.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1157 on: March 18, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »
I had a dental cleaning appointment next week. Just a couple of days ago the dentist sent an email about how they're being extra careful sterilizing things and that they are open for business as usual. After the press conference this morning, they're now calling all their patients and rescheduling elective procedures until May. I just got my call a few minutes ago.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #1158 on: March 18, 2020, 06:22:38 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Katie texted. 50% of her staff is out. Asked if I wanted to work. I GET TO DO STUFF!!!

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #1159 on: March 18, 2020, 06:23:04 PM »
My daughter's PT for a hip injury has been cancelled going forward as of yesterday.  

I have a cardiology consult, but the soonest I could get in was May 8 when I made the appointment.  I'm hoping that doesn't get cancelled.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1160 on: March 18, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
So far I still have PT for my left shoulder twice a week going forward. I still have an appointment with my Ortho surgeon tomorrow afternoon to discuss the MRI results for my right shoulder. I dropped off the MRI CD at the office this afternoon, all the office people were wearing masks. My wife still has to see the wound care doc 3 days a week, she said all the staff there are now wearing masks full time.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #1162 on: March 18, 2020, 08:40:33 PM »

Friend's wife got a call today while she was working remotely from home.  Front office required her to come in no later than Friday (but ideally right now!)  to fill out paperwork to be declared an essential worker or something so she could travel to work regularly.  Works in a lab that's doing Chinese Death Flu research.  Scuttlebutt is a 2 week lock down is coming.

That bit of gossip is worth exactly what you paid for it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:59:43 PM by Andiron »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #1163 on: March 18, 2020, 08:58:51 PM »
Scuttlebutt is a 2 week lock down in coming.

That bit of gossip is worth exactly what you paid for it.

I am considered essential personnel. Had the day off today for a dentist appointment that got cancelled, so I worked from home.  If I get to work tomorrow and get a new ID or any kind of papers, I let you guys know.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1164 on: March 18, 2020, 09:00:18 PM »
 :police:

Multiple police departments in Southern California say they have been receiving more 911 calls from residents concerned that their coughing neighbor may have the coronavirus.

Californians are calling 911 on their coughing neighbors
https://www.foxnews.com/us/californians-calling-911-coughing-neighbors
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #1165 on: March 18, 2020, 09:01:02 PM »
I am considered essential personnel. Had the day off today for a dentist appointment that got cancelled, so I worked from home.  If I get to work tomorrow and get a new ID or any kind of papers, I let you guys know.

It's appreciated,  thanks.

I was chatting with my buddy while his wife was off doing whatever paperwork stuff her lab wanted,  should know more tomorrow.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1166 on: March 18, 2020, 09:06:29 PM »
Haven't heard any talk of any kind of lock down locally yet.
Since I maintain critical communication infrastructure at a critical central office I suspect that were I not on short term disability I would be listed as essential personnel in the event of a full on lockdown.
I've got about 3 weeks left before I anticipate going back to work.
We do indeed live in interesting times.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #1167 on: March 18, 2020, 09:19:02 PM »

FWIW, this is in Ashland County, since we're both in Ohio.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1168 on: March 18, 2020, 09:55:34 PM »
Friend's wife got a call today while she was working remotely from home.  Front office required her to come in no later than Friday (but ideally right now!)  to fill out paperwork to be declared an essential worker or something so she could travel to work regularly.  Works in a lab that's doing Chinese Death Flu research.  Scuttlebutt is a 2 week lock down is coming.
I heard something similar - one to two week shelter in place being announced Friday.  No clue whether it is true or not, or what that means.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1169 on: March 18, 2020, 10:14:01 PM »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1170 on: March 19, 2020, 02:26:44 AM »
I guess I can kinda see why even liberals are wanting guns and ammo now:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/03/18/aclu-calls-for-immediate-release-of-prisoners-most-susceptible-to-the-coronavirus/

Why though? They are getting the prison reform that they wanted.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1171 on: March 19, 2020, 06:46:42 AM »

Nada.  But that will suck, because I really might kill the family if I can't ride the bike.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1172 on: March 19, 2020, 06:50:44 AM »
2 congress critters have it now.  One from each party.
https://news.yahoo.com/florida-republican-first-member-congress-232744837.html
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1173 on: March 19, 2020, 06:55:48 AM »
LAS tower now
https://twitter.com/8NewsNow/status/1240516526467420160

This is about to wreak havoc on whats left of air travel, because the FAA didn't have a plan.
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1174 on: March 19, 2020, 08:25:34 AM »
Same.

Saw it on Facetoob last night "A month ago everyone made fun of you for being a prepper or homeschooler, now everyone is a prepper and homeschooler."

While as usual, the MSM likes to focus on the "doomsday preppers" when they talk about "preppers", it's comments like this (from the comment section) that make guns a main "prepping" supply:

It’s time the government steps in and confiscates what these “preppers” have been hoarding all these years. Hoarding as we now see is evil. The only venerable thing that people should have been allowed to hoard all these years is money and thats only if its been in a bank or in the form of real estate.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/preppers-avoiding-panic-amid-coronavirus-outbreak-us

I also like how a large portion of the comments blame people who collected supplies before people panicked as responsible for panic buying and shortages.