Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440054 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1200 on: March 19, 2020, 12:41:33 PM »
From what I've heard the much better answer is massive testing and just isolating the positives.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1201 on: March 19, 2020, 12:46:20 PM »
From what I've heard the much better answer is massive testing and just isolating the positives.

Yeah, quarantining everyone is getting to sound silly. The only positive I can think of is that I have no traffic to deal with on my commute.
The only problem is the long incubation periods could make trying to shut this virus down like playing a game of whack-a-mole from hell.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1202 on: March 19, 2020, 12:47:57 PM »
I heard someone say that is the plan.  This is just a stop gap until the test kits are more available. 

I did see something on the Houston news this morning about general testing being available.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #1203 on: March 19, 2020, 01:08:28 PM »
This is just a stop gap until the test kits are more available. 

Exactly. These extreme measures are only necessary until testing is up to speed. Not to say life will immediately go back to normal but widespread testing will allow us to start.
I've been looking for info on what South Korea looks like today, what restrictions they've been able to drop and what they've kept in place, but haven't found much.
Unfortunately we're going to look more like Italy than South Korea for a bit still anyway.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1204 on: March 19, 2020, 01:15:57 PM »
There's trouble in in Georgia...

A Georgia state senator was feeling sick with flu like symptoms, ignored them and spent the entire day at the state capitol, and has tested positive for Corona.

One of his colleagues is going ape *expletive deleted*it about it, and rightfully so...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/georgia-state-legislator-shaking-with-rage-after-state-senator-with-coronavirus-symptoms-attends-session-prompting-all-legislators-to-quarantine
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #1205 on: March 19, 2020, 01:44:37 PM »
Police show up at a church in Louisiana because they dared defy "muh authoritah" and have a service.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavirus-police-church-defy-state-order

Some stupidity on the church's part... "anointed handkerchiefs" and all, but still.

"A police officer told the pastor that the National Guard will break up future gatherings that violate the public health rules issued by Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards."

If you want to start a war, threatening the devoutly religious is pretty much the best way to do it.

This *expletive deleted*it has gone beyond "is getting out of hand" and jumped straight to "has gotten...".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1206 on: March 19, 2020, 01:50:24 PM »
Regarding Italy, there was a perfect storm that caused their situation.

Large population of Chinese who travel home and back as well as having visitors from China regularly.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2020/03/how_did_italy_become_the_new_ground_zero_of_coronavirus.html?fbclid=IwAR1K694mJofI-TDgGkuNQu1EEBdmTGBO3Dqc8lx6jvLvsJD5m4LV_Rsavps
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1207 on: March 19, 2020, 01:55:06 PM »

Large population of Chinese who travel home and back as well as having visitors from China regularly.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2020/03/how_did_italy_become_the_new_ground_zero_of_coronavirus.html?fbclid=IwAR1K694mJofI-TDgGkuNQu1EEBdmTGBO3Dqc8lx6jvLvsJD5m4LV_Rsavps

Bingo. That's something that everyone has been missing.

And, apparently, the same is true for Iran. Lots of interaction with Chinese, given their military and trade connections.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1208 on: March 19, 2020, 01:58:59 PM »
I am finally convinced this COVID-19 thing is serious.  A local store said they will no longer be receiving shipments of Coke and Pepsi products.
If coffee shipments stop, TEOTWAWKI will surely have arrived.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #1209 on: March 19, 2020, 02:02:33 PM »
Italy is ahead of us in testing though. Pretty much everyone is ahead of us in testing.  =(

In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1211 on: March 19, 2020, 02:39:09 PM »
My son in law works in computer sales: they primarily sell, install and service PCs, accessories and software to businesses.  I called him this morning because I read an article in the WSJ about laptop shortages with all the people working from home.  He confirmed that and said the other big shortage right now was monitors, with everyone buying a new monitor to plug into their new laptop or to add a second monitor to their desktop system.  He said with the shortage of chips and components from China, it is going to take a while for the manufacturers to get up to speed and build replacement systems.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1212 on: March 19, 2020, 02:48:48 PM »
Italy is ahead of us in testing though. Pretty much everyone is ahead of us in testing.  =(

Have you seen any comparisons between us and any other high population countries?

How many Americans would have to be tested to top that chart? Would there be enough tests even on the planet to get'r done?

I know that's what we're going to try and do now but remember, we're yuuge compared to those other nations.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1213 on: March 19, 2020, 03:08:15 PM »
...aaaaand Texas jumps on the Full-Retard banwagon.

https://www.kcbd.com/2020/03/19/gov-greg-abbott-orders-texans-avoid-groups-closes-bars-gyms-restaurants-dine-in/?fbclid=IwAR3AbhreCQCSDhFhZ8msV5CtfLH3-RAqOZgX0ZYn1Azjoy3UGEPoLz_-y0A

Brad

During a news conference at the state Capitol, Abbott announced an executive order that will limit social gatherings to 10 people, prohibit eating and drinking at restaurants and bars while still allowing takeout, close gyms, ban people from visiting nursing homes except for critical care and temporarily close schools. The executive order is effective midnight Friday through midnight April 3, Abbott said.
Most restaurants here were already closing the dining room.  I imagine after this there will be lawsuits about their authority to actually order this stuff. 

And yes, good luck getting Churches to stop meetings.  They would be better off just asking them to spread everyone out or something. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #1214 on: March 19, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »
Have you seen any comparisons between us and any other high population countries?
How many Americans would have to be tested to top that chart? Would there be enough tests even on the planet to get'r done?
I know that's what we're going to try and do now but remember, we're yuuge compared to those other nations.

If you just look at raw numbers of tests completed, we're not doing great either. Soon we will be caught up with Italy in raw numbers of tests (and confirmed cases!)

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #1215 on: March 19, 2020, 03:40:41 PM »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1216 on: March 19, 2020, 04:16:52 PM »

Reading Reddit, a number of European countries including Germany are *expletive deleted*ing about with testing, too.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1217 on: March 19, 2020, 05:16:30 PM »
AT&T made 2 weeks paid furlow/vacation available to all high risk employees. Over 60 or other high risk conditions, I would have qualified for diabetes but I'm already off on disability.
This is not counted against regular annual vacation time.
Good for them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1218 on: March 19, 2020, 05:22:46 PM »
The hardware store had a bunch of TP rolls for sale. I would have bought some, but since I hate those stupid Charmin bears so much...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1219 on: March 19, 2020, 05:31:05 PM »
Are we up to an avg month in Chicago yet?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1221 on: March 19, 2020, 06:33:58 PM »
Kohl's, in reaction to coronavirus outbreak, to close all stores nationwide until April 1
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/kohls-coronavirus-closed-april-first
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1222 on: March 19, 2020, 07:32:42 PM »
How's this for spin?

NBC's @KeirSimmons says that China "helped" the world by "delaying" the spread of coronavirus and that it is now "worrying that they may get re-infected…from the rest of the world"pic.twitter.com/WSkmGctnmt

— Daily Caller (@DailyCaller) March 19, 2020
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/03/19/nbc-news-reporter-warns-that-china-who-helped-contain-covid19-is-now-facing-a-grave-threat-from-america-and-the-western-world-video/
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #1223 on: March 19, 2020, 08:47:54 PM »
How's this for spin?
I've seen better...
China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!
:rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1224 on: March 19, 2020, 09:23:46 PM »
Looks like I'm going to be taking a hit on pay.

I was also told today that if I travel outside of my home area, which I'm intending to do, I may be required to self isolate for 2 weeks before I can return to work.

Even though I'm traveling OUT of an area with multiple active cases to an area in the same state with ZERO active cases. What the holy *expletive deleted*ck is that about? Stupidest goddamned thing I've ever heard of.