Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440004 times)

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1225 on: March 19, 2020, 09:56:40 PM »
Thought I'd better check in here to see how y'all are doing. Seems to be about the same as everywhere else.

I've been reading tea leaves, Ouija boards, palm prints, crystal balls, and the only thing up and running with any indication of the future is the Dung Seat Scrolls (Toilet paper.) People are buying them up like there will never be a tree sacrificed to the anal dust cloth supply ever again.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #1226 on: March 19, 2020, 10:02:12 PM »
I am going to work tomorrow and looking at probably shutting down until April 1st. Already locked out my part time employee from Toronto working here with green card because her husband went to Canada to bring their daughter and SICK grandchildren here!
Everything is so slow I might as well lock up and accomplish some solo things at home.
On that note, I have everything I need to complete a couple projects on my Jeep and my fishing boat and I bought pork loin back ribs to do in the smoker this weekend!
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #1227 on: March 19, 2020, 10:15:08 PM »
At this point I'm almost hoping for a lockdown.  Won't be good for business but I could use a rest.  It's been insane for 3 weeks,  I had to put my dog down and I feel like *expletive deleted*it anyway.  Add crazy prepper to the mix and as long as the utilities stay on I could honestly not give two shits.  Economy is already hosed,  might as well enjoy a bit of down time before getting back to work.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1228 on: March 19, 2020, 10:28:05 PM »
Sorry to hear about your dog.

My phone hasn't rung for work in over three weeks. I'm ready for some money I have none.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1229 on: March 19, 2020, 10:41:40 PM »
I've got enough supplies for various projects to keep me busy for a few months of quarantine.  Bring it on!

Last sale of the day last Sunday was a $200 ammo sale.  First sale of the day today (1st day back since Sun) was a $200 ammo sale.  Local Walmart's essentially out of ammo; got a few boxes of 30-06, a couple boxes of .22WMR and that's about it.

Walmart Corp has decided that there will not be local store meetings for the foreseeable future, in keeping with the "no more than 10 people in a group" thing.  WTF?  Sales people are encountering more than that per quarter hour, sometimes more than that at once.

Local Walmart is closing even earlier at 2030hrs instead of 2300hrs.  They are allowing employees to make purchases an hour before opening and an hour after closing and will be making the employee discount good for all food products too - the discount is usually good for very few food items.  

Not sure how Walmart plans to handle the "no more than 10" thing and remain open.  By the time you get a couple managers, a couple cashiers, a few salesmen, some backroom workers and you've already got 10 people in the store.  Maybe there will be an exception for stores larger than 1 acre?

ETA:  Andiron, sorry to hear about your dog.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1230 on: March 19, 2020, 10:43:20 PM »

How many Americans would have to be tested to top that chart? Would there be enough tests even on the planet to get'r done?

I know that's what we're going to try and do now but remember, we're yuuge compared to those other nations.

We're still screwed up.

A couple of days ago I received an e-mail from a state senator or representative (don't recall which) reporting that the state had just received a second consignment of 600 test kits. This was on top of 600 we had received about a week prior. He then went on to inform us that the state laboratory is processing 15 (FIFTEEN) tests per day.

At 15 tests per day, that first batch of 600 kits will last for almost six weeks, by which time test kits should be in ample supply everywhere. If we can't use that second batch of 600 kits for SIX WEEKS ... why the hell don't we give 'em to somebody who can and will use them?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1231 on: March 19, 2020, 10:45:35 PM »

And yes, good luck getting Churches to stop meetings.  They would be better off just asking them to spread everyone out or something. 

Most churches around here started voluntary live streaming instead of physical services two weeks ago. Both the Roman Catholic archdiocese and the Episcopal diocese made that S.O.P. until further notice.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #1232 on: March 19, 2020, 10:48:51 PM »
Thanks for the dog sympathy.  She was 13 and our first, brought home at 7 weeks as a ball of lab mix fluff.  Fought cancer for the past month but hit a wall and wouldn't eat.  *expletive deleted*ing sucks,  but she lived her best life.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1233 on: March 19, 2020, 10:51:55 PM »
The Idaho Governor was not mandating shutdowns of private businesses - he was letting them make their own choice. I saw that beginning at midnight tonight, the new Boise commie mayor has put a lockdown on all Boise restaurants and bars for 30 days. I think they can still do take-out. Bummer - I was going to drive to downtown Boise tomorrow for a burger and beer.

We've had only a few cases of the Chinese virus in Idaho outside of Blaine County (where Sun Valley is). Apparently they had 17 cases just now pop up via community spread. Stupid commie pinko progressive county.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1234 on: March 19, 2020, 10:54:16 PM »
Sorry to hear about your dog, Andiron. Been there and it sucks a lot. One of the hardest decisions I've made in my life. But you did the right thing for your buddy, no matter how much it hurts.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1235 on: March 19, 2020, 11:24:57 PM »
First case in Linn county which borders me west property line. Not much info to go on so far.

I just got $300 from a friend for the short term to get some cat and dog food gas my meds and a few other things I didn't have enough in stock for a long term stay at home. Hope I can find everything I need at these small stores around here.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1236 on: March 19, 2020, 11:58:50 PM »
My son in law works in computer sales: they primarily sell, install and service PCs, accessories and software to businesses.  I called him this morning because I read an article in the WSJ about laptop shortages with all the people working from home.  He confirmed that and said the other big shortage right now was monitors, with everyone buying a new monitor to plug into their new laptop or to add a second monitor to their desktop system.  He said with the shortage of chips and components from China, it is going to take a while for the manufacturers to get up to speed and build replacement systems.

So why not televisions?

Awhile back I picked up an inexpensive (but surprisingly capable) 8" Windows tablet from Amazon. It does pretty much what I wanted it to do, but the screen is too small for my aging eyes so I followed up with a refurbished Microsoft Surface, with docking station. Recently I pulled the television out of the guest bedroom and set it up on the dining table so I can play with both tablets on a large screen. It works great, and since the connection is HDMI it uses the speaker (or speakers?) in the television, with no need for any external speakers.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1238 on: March 20, 2020, 07:37:56 AM »
Word is it has hit it's first enroute Center today.  The CDC made the FAA shut down 3 areas at ZID (Indy Center), and is considering making them shut the whole facility down.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1239 on: March 20, 2020, 07:39:40 AM »
So why not televisions?

Awhile back I picked up an inexpensive (but surprisingly capable) 8" Windows tablet from Amazon. It does pretty much what I wanted it to do, but the screen is too small for my aging eyes so I followed up with a refurbished Microsoft Surface, with docking station. Recently I pulled the television out of the guest bedroom and set it up on the dining table so I can play with both tablets on a large screen. It works great, and since the connection is HDMI it uses the speaker (or speakers?) in the television, with no need for any external speakers.

I would think that people already have TV's, but the work from home glut is sending people scrambling for good equipment.  Nobody wants to really work off a laptop monitor.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1240 on: March 20, 2020, 07:44:43 AM »
So sorry to hear about your dog, Andiron. Been there, it sucks.

My primary concern is Seren's well being. Well, let me say that it's my only concern. Doggy daycare facilities have started to shut down in this area, so I'd like for us to be somewhere where it's not an issue.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #1241 on: March 20, 2020, 08:23:00 AM »
https://i.imgur.com/GHwtQXg.mp4

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Was that sound clip from Left 4 Dead? The world needs more of those.
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1242 on: March 20, 2020, 08:39:13 AM »
Ventured out for some snacky snacks, and liquor.  Went to a Safeway in town.  Mostly well stocked.  I went past the meat aisle and it was pretty bare, as was the paper aisle.  Had no problem getting cheese, crackers.  Liquor store next door was fully stocked.
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #1243 on: March 20, 2020, 08:57:28 AM »
Just confirmed.  Indianapolis Center went ATC0...they are shut down.  Which means no fedex flights.

JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1244 on: March 20, 2020, 08:58:30 AM »
Ventured out for some snacky snacks, and liquor.  Went to a Safeway in town.  Mostly well stocked.  I went past the meat aisle and it was pretty bare, as was the paper aisle.  Had no problem getting cheese, crackers.  Liquor store next door was fully stocked.

I picked up two bottles of wine for my wife. Plenty of wine available last night.

Freezer section was almost completely bare.

Paper products empty.

Meat section empty of chicken and any lower cuts of beef. Plenty of pork- Loin, Ribs, Chops, etc... I don't know why people don't want pork, but I made some breaded pork loin chops last night that were excellent. Some horseradish for dipping and it was SOOO very good.

We had a friend over who doesn't like pork (or has always thought that) and was once again surprised that the food was (1) pork and (2) delicious. Likely she didn't like how it was prepared at home.  

If we are completely shut in for two weeks, the only issue we're likely to face is what to do about fresh milk during the last few days. (I can break into the UHT Milk, but I'd like to avoid that, if possible.)  I'm assuming we'll still be able to get some through delivery or pick-up because otherwise we're going to have a lot of spoiled milk in this country if no one can buy it.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1245 on: March 20, 2020, 09:29:40 AM »
If you thought the stores were crazy before

California Gov. Gavin Newsom announces statewide coronavirus 'stay at home' order
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-gov-gavin-newsom-announces-statewide-stay-at-home-order
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1246 on: March 20, 2020, 09:39:53 AM »
If you thought the stores were crazy before

California Gov. Gavin Newsom announces statewide coronavirus 'stay at home' order
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-gov-gavin-newsom-announces-statewide-stay-at-home-order

Yeah. I might have to do a marathon run down to CA to get my dad if I can convince the stubborn old goat to go. I've been trying to get him to come stay with me through all this but he says he's got plenty of food and doesn't want to make the drive. He's 92, so I can't blame him, since it would be a 16-18 hour day with rest stops for him, since I couldn't take the chance on a hotel for an overnight. I have to call him again today - maybe he'll be more open to it now.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1247 on: March 20, 2020, 09:43:19 AM »
And yes, good luck getting Churches to stop meetings.  They would be better off just asking them to spread everyone out or something. 

Once the schools started closing for a week (before the 4 week order from the Iowa Governor) many churches were closed last Sunday and offered streamed services. Monday was the first order from governor related to schools and banned groups under 200, Tuesday any meetings of over 10 was banned along with the closing of restaurants and bars for eat in. So far every church where in I live in North Central Iowa is closed for a couple weeks and will be streaming all services. Funerals are being delayed too.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1248 on: March 20, 2020, 09:45:49 AM »
As far as I know, no churches in Northern Virginia are holding services, not even the pentacostal churches.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1249 on: March 20, 2020, 09:50:54 AM »
Just popped onto the website for Giant, my preferred local grocery store. I wanted to get a laugh at the sales circulars...

They have a big splash on their home page that they have set out special shopping hours for senior citizens AND immunocompromised shoppers.

That's the first that I've heard of a store including immunocompromised shoppers in the designated shopping time mix.