Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440240 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1250 on: March 20, 2020, 09:53:11 AM »
Wegman's the store across from my office, has a huge list of what they've put purchase limits on...

https://www.wegmans.com/covid-19-response/#list
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1251 on: March 20, 2020, 10:08:51 AM »
Just popped onto the website for Giant, my preferred local grocery store. I wanted to get a laugh at the sales circulars...

They have a big splash on their home page that they have set out special shopping hours for senior citizens AND immunocompromised shoppers.

That's the first that I've heard of a store including immunocompromised shoppers in the designated shopping time mix.

Just like "service dogs", you'll get people claiming to be immunocompromised who aren't...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1252 on: March 20, 2020, 10:19:35 AM »
IRS just announced that tax filing deadline will move to July 15.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1253 on: March 20, 2020, 10:20:48 AM »
That's the first that I've heard of a store including immunocompromised shoppers in the designated shopping time mix.

That was so Wednesday in Iowa.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1254 on: March 20, 2020, 10:33:36 AM »
IRS just announced that tax filing deadline will move to July 15.

Filing deadline is still April 15, bu you now have until July 15 to pay up if you owe any taxes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1255 on: March 20, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »
Filing deadline is still April 15, bu you now have until July 15 to pay up if you owe any taxes.

They're saying July 15 as the filing deadline for federal taxes.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #1257 on: March 20, 2020, 11:23:16 AM »
I picked up a heavy duty 1/2" drive impact and sockets yesterday so I can tear into a project next week. I also needed automotive sandpaper and some primer and paint.
Odd. Almost NO sandpaper on the pegs.
I asked the friendly farm store employee and she told me 3M has shifted everything to filter mask production and is not producing any abrasives at this time. WTF Are people hoarding sandpaper?!?!
Was told the paint Dept has been crazy busy also. People suddenly home on staycation are doing home projects.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #1259 on: March 20, 2020, 11:33:11 AM »
Any of our Wisconsin peeps driving down I-94? Are the rumors true there's a huge National Guard presence at the Miller Park parking lots? I'm just a few miles away, but haven't had reason to drive that way and pass it.

MPD was training for riots/civil disturbance at State Fair, although that might not be anything unusual, as they've been ramping up for the DNC convention this summer.
I promise not to duck.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #1260 on: March 20, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »
Just confirmed.  Indianapolis Center went ATC0...they are shut down.  Which means no fedex flights.

I checked with a Pilot for DAL and he says Center is shut down but flights are still originating at Indy.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1261 on: March 20, 2020, 11:42:16 AM »
Any of our Wisconsin peeps driving down I-94? Are the rumors true there's a huge National Guard presence at the Miller Park parking lots? I'm just a few miles away, but haven't had reason to drive that way and pass it.

MPD was training for riots/civil disturbance at State Fair, although that might not be anything unusual, as they've been ramping up for the DNC convention this summer.

I'm strictly on 43 from Ozaukee to Milwaukee county, I haven't seen anything over my way yet, maybe I'll do a driveby this afternoon, as its only 10 min out of my way.

I just checked the traffic cams. The parking lots that I can see from the cams are empty, but there are a few that I can't see.

Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1262 on: March 20, 2020, 11:52:43 AM »
Tangent to the National Guard thing, but I read an article this morning from one of the Idaho Panhandle TV stations that there was a report to the Sheriff up in Bonner's Ferry that a militia presence had a blockade set up at the ID/MT border, blocking traffic into MT. Reporter claimed typical battle rattle look. That's a fairly remote and unpopulated area, and there's a ton of "doomsday prepper" compounds up there, so even if there is no concrete evidence, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

On the grocery front: Undisclosed location of small town America so you guys don't show up and hoard the donuts and ice cream. Produce was better stocked this morning, and they FINALLY got potatoes in, one 5lb bag per household. In fact most stuff switched from limit of two to limit of one. Including, comically, ice cream products which were in short supply. Comfort food I guess. TP and water sold out.  Same with the usual cleaning supplies. 50% stock of milk and bread. No eggs. Most other dairy available. All the meats were available, with the spaces about half full. Plenty of canned goods too. People seem to be concentrating on fresh food now.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all the store employees were wearing nitrile gloves today. First time I've seen that there. Even at the Albertsons a couple of days ago, there were no gloves.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 12:36:33 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #1263 on: March 20, 2020, 11:54:14 AM »
I'm strictly on 43 from Ozaukee to Milwaukee county, I haven't seen anything over my way yet, maybe I'll do a driveby this afternoon, as its only 10 min out of my way.

I just checked the traffic cams. The parking lots that I can see from the cams are empty, but there are a few that I can't see.

I heard it was the ones on the north side of the freeway.

And it could have been a convoy etc. just parking there and they've already moved on.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1264 on: March 20, 2020, 11:55:17 AM »
I checked with a Pilot for DAL and he says Center is shut down but flights are still originating at Indy.

So if they can funnel out under ZID’s airspace, and still have enough gas to get to destination, then they’ll be able to go.  But the increased impact on the surrounding centers will cause major impacts throughout the system.  Imagine closing one chunk of a major freeway.  Sure, you can drive around it.  But so is everyone else.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #1265 on: March 20, 2020, 11:55:37 AM »
So if they can funnel out under ZID’s airspace, and still have enough gas to get to destination, then they’ll be able to go.  But the increased impact on the surrounding centers will cause major impacts throughout the system.  Imagine closing one chunk of a major freeway.  Sure, you can drive around it.  But so is everyone else.

Absolutely

Jocassee

• friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #1266 on: March 20, 2020, 11:57:24 AM »
Here in the southeast, logistics seem fine. Trucks are still rolling. Warehouses for food and goods are still moving orders by truck. I've been told that even with some personnel in lockdown or sick things will keep moving OK.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1267 on: March 20, 2020, 12:02:44 PM »

Not according to CNBC:

The IRS moved the national income tax filing day ahead to July 15, three months after the normal deadline for Americans to send in their returns.

EDIT IN:

OK, I see others also noted the filing date change.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #1268 on: March 20, 2020, 01:20:24 PM »
We've been sheltered in place for over a week now.  Son and DIL have to work, but they're taking all precautions.  Son works at a power plant as an essential employee, and they've already talked about quarantining him at work for a week or two, but haven't done it yet.  He volunteered, mainly because they would pay him time and a half 24/7, about 10k per week.  DIL is an x-ray and cat scan tech at an emergency hospital, so she has been changing clothes and showering before leaving work.  The kids (three teenagers) are out of school for at least two weeks, but teenagers don't seem to have any problem doing nothing all day.

We've been ordering and picking up essential items at Sam's and King Soopers as needed, but we've always patronized local businesses, and it's paying off.  Gagliano's Italian Deli, an 800 sq. ft. old (1921) grocery, has plenty of meats, cheeses, and breads, and will deliver to the curb. We'll be picking up order from them this afternoon. More expensive than the supermarket but way better food.  We get our drinking water from a local place that has a 1500 ft. deep artesian well that has been in use since 1879. No shortage there, and the water is $1 per gallon in 5 gallon jugs. I usually buy 40 gallons at a time.  We have a good well, but the water has to be softened, and you can't filter sodium out. It's drinkable, but not very good.  We have at least half a beef in the freezer, plus our home canned goods.  Out of tomatoes and green beans though, we'll have to fix that this summer.

We borrowed an Xbox from the kids and dug out a stack of DVDs from storage, so we've been watching movies and reading a lot.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1270 on: March 20, 2020, 01:36:58 PM »
I decided to help keep the local food places here going, so just ordered a pizza for pickup. No cash, credit or debit only, and I call when I get there so they can bring it out to me - no going in the joint. It was the same at the diner where I get their Friday Philly cheese steak. Maybe I should have got the Philly Cheese steak. Oh shoooot.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #1272 on: March 20, 2020, 01:59:10 PM »
You know those earrings are fake, right?

All the real ones got bought up last week . . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1273 on: March 20, 2020, 02:17:35 PM »
Not according to CNBC:

The IRS moved the national income tax filing day ahead to July 15, three months after the normal deadline for Americans to send in their returns.

EDIT IN:

OK, I see others also noted the filing date change.

That's the best news I've heard today then.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1274 on: March 20, 2020, 02:26:20 PM »
List of products registered with EPA that are effective in killing Corona. Note that it must say YES in the "Emerging Viral Pathogen Claim" column to ensure that it's effective.

https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2