Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 444848 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jim147

• friends
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1326 on: March 21, 2020, 10:12:02 PM »
I made the fun trip to the store today. When to the small town of Butler, MO Walmart. No TP for my bunghole. The whole paper isle was wiped out. No can foods or flour sugar frozen dinners cheese eggs etc. did grab two gallons of whiskey so I'm good.

Stopped at my closer smaller town grocery store. Had everything except TP.

My sinuses are messing with me and with no immune system I would start coughing in crowded isles just to screw with people and get them out of my way.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #1327 on: March 22, 2020, 12:37:11 AM »
My latest labs showed my BUN was low. Not below normal range, but low enough that my PC wants me to get more protein in my diet.

=|

Today I realized at the grocery store that it would be easier said than done.  :mad:

I did manage to get some eggs (not the cheap store brand like normal, though) bacon (probably not what she meant  :cool: ) some precooked pulled pork that was rather expensive, and a rotisserie chicken that was over peppered  [barf] so I won't be eating that.

Right now, I just don't have much energy for cooking, but when it came to easy protein there just wasn't much of a selection.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #1328 on: March 22, 2020, 12:48:13 AM »
Try a reese that helped me get protein after dropping over 40 pounds in a couple months.

Got me back to eating.

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #1329 on: March 22, 2020, 01:02:11 AM »
Try a reese that helped me get protein after dropping over 40 pounds in a couple months.

Got me back to eating.

About a month into the drug taper, sweets started tasting really bad. I'm just starting to get sweet back, but reese's are still nasty.  :'(
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1330 on: March 22, 2020, 02:43:37 AM »
Our feckless governor proudly announced today that we have now run 3,100 tests for COVID-19.

Let's do the math: This was as of the end of the day on March 21. The first case in this state was confirmed on March 8. 21 - 8 = 13. So, even if they had only started testing on the 8th, that would mean they've been averaging 238 tests per day. In reality, testing started before the 8th, so call it 200 tests or less  per day. With multiple testing sites around the state, that strikes me as pretty poor performance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1331 on: March 22, 2020, 08:22:41 AM »
Our feckless governor proudly announced today that we have now run 3,100 tests for COVID-19.

Let's do the math: This was as of the end of the day on March 21. The first case in this state was confirmed on March 8. 21 - 8 = 13. So, even if they had only started testing on the 8th, that would mean they've been averaging 238 tests per day. In reality, testing started before the 8th, so call it 200 tests or less  per day. With multiple testing sites around the state, that strikes me as pretty poor performance.

What's worse is that those tests weren't averaged.  They did very few at the beginning of the outbreak, and are doing more testing now. 
China played canary in the mine for us, and our leaders dropped the ball.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1332 on: March 22, 2020, 09:06:29 AM »
This is where private industry is going to save the day. State labs are only able to process anywhere from dozens to a few hundred tests per day. Technology is available now to run a few hundred tests per hour, and a new test just came out that can have an individual result in 45 minutes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1333 on: March 22, 2020, 10:46:36 AM »
Well...the rumor is that there's been some incidents in the local high end grocery store parking lot (Wegman's).  Apparently there's now a permanent police presence. 
I found it odd that very recently, the county put some of those solar powered cameras in the Walmart parking lot...like early Feb they suddenly appeared...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #1334 on: March 22, 2020, 11:09:01 AM »
Just saw a Facebook post from my favorite gunshop/range.   They has 14 firearms left for sale.  New, used, or otherwise.   They have no .22, no 9mm, no .38, no 5.56, and no 12 gauge at this time, and limited supplies of .380, .357, .40, and .45.  They have set aside a small amount of ammo for each of the firearms left for sale.

Shortly after, I saw another FB discussion about why gun stores are allowed to stay open, that they should have been shut down the first day because it's non essential,  and just allowing these hoarders to arm up to protect their stuff from those "who may need it."  Yeah, no s$%t, my guns and ammo are to protect my family and our supplies.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1335 on: March 22, 2020, 11:13:20 AM »
Shortly after, I saw another FB discussion about why gun stores are allowed to stay open, that they should have been shut down the first day because it's non essential,  and just allowing these hoarders to arm up to protect their stuff from those "who may need it."  Yeah, no s$%t, my guns and ammo are to protect my family and our supplies.

I read a news story this morning that San Francisco area Sheriffs are shutting down gun stores there that stayed open. The stores made the argument that it's essential for people to be able to protect themselves (nevermind the 10 day wait to do so). It didn't fly. Apparently this is due to residents calling the cops complaining the stores were open. One store owner said that several customers who have gone through the ten day wait can't get their guns now because he can't even open to give them their paid for merchandise.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1336 on: March 22, 2020, 11:18:02 AM »
Our Democrat Governor specifically designated gun stores as essential services allowed to stay open.

I don't even have any idea of what to think about that!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1337 on: March 22, 2020, 11:50:30 AM »
Dems/MSM 2019: Trump is going to get us all killed because he's acting like a dictator. Impeach him!
Dems/MSM 2020: Trump is going to get us all killed because he's not acting like a dictator. Impeach him!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1338 on: March 22, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »
One week out in the poll.

The good and bad news is 81.7% have no personal knowledge of someone infected.

20% of us knowing someone infected doesn't inspire positivity in my mind.

As one of ours signed off regularly, "stay safe".

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1339 on: March 22, 2020, 02:00:24 PM »
Rand Paul has it
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1340 on: March 22, 2020, 02:49:27 PM »
Well...the rumor is that there's been some incidents in the local high end grocery store parking lot (Wegman's).  Apparently there's now a permanent police presence. 
I found it odd that very recently, the county put some of those solar powered cameras in the Walmart parking lot...like early Feb they suddenly appeared...

Was it the county, or was it Walmart? There are four Walmart stores generally within my area of operation, two of which I visit semi-regularly and two of which I visit infrequently. ONE of those has those solar-powered security trailers in the parking lot. Coincidentally, it happens to be the store nearest the ghetto area of the neighboring city.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1341 on: March 22, 2020, 02:54:20 PM »
^^^Some of the local big box stores (including Walmart, although Walmart has the most of them) have had those cameras (Lot Cop) for a while now.  All of these stores are in high-crime areas.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #1342 on: March 22, 2020, 02:57:17 PM »
Rand Paul has it

That could be bad. I believe he has some underlying respiratory/lung issues from the assault he was the victim of a few years back. I seem to recall he may have had a portion of a lung removed, for some reason that is stuck in my brain, it could also be a figment of my imagination.  =|

bob

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #1343 on: March 22, 2020, 03:03:19 PM »
Looks like Ohio is on forced vacation for the next 2 weeks. 

Can't find a list of what's considered essential business as they haven't linked to one yet.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #1344 on: March 22, 2020, 03:11:18 PM »
That could be bad. I believe he has some underlying respiratory/lung issues from the assault he was the victim of a few years back. I seem to recall he may have had a portion of a lung removed, for some reason that is stuck in my brain, it could also be a figment of my imagination.  =|

bob

He was assaulted by a neighbor, which did injury to his lung.  But,  he is  a kongresskritter and will receive top quality  healthcare.   I suspect he knows his risks.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1345 on: March 22, 2020, 03:31:46 PM »
Angela Merkel went into quarantine after she was exposed to her doctor who had it. Germany apparently has one of the lowest mortality rates.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/22/germany-low-coronavirus-mortality-rate-puzzles-experts

My conspiracy theory cousin has been sending me some interesting youtubz about kraut infection rates and response though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1346 on: March 22, 2020, 03:39:06 PM »
Made a routine grocery run this afternoon to the local small town shop.
Still no paper products to be had.
Eggs are nonexistent.
Milk was a little low but not out of range for this location on a Sunday afternoon.
No potatoes, but there was quite a stock of sweet potatoes.
Bread is low, down to the cheap brands that I prefer not to buy, I will start baking today.
Meat, including fresh, frozen and lunch meat selection was a little low but not far from a normal Sunday afternoon stock for this location.
Frozen vegetables were slightly low.
Little Debbie snack cakes were pretty well wiped out of the more popular stuff.
I didn't look in on the rice and beans and canned veggies and soup aisle because I don't need any.

The store has posted signs stating a 1 item per day per person limit on scarce items.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1347 on: March 22, 2020, 03:41:39 PM »
Iowa governor is having daily press releases, for the most part she is closing different business sectors, today it was salons/barbers, massage and tattoo parlors. She did lift for licensing restrictions on expired health care workers licenses.

She is doing everything to keep from having a shelter in place declaration because I think she doesn't want to be on the hook for salaries of sheltered at home public employees (city, county and state).

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1348 on: March 22, 2020, 03:54:50 PM »

Little Debbie snack cakes were pretty well wiped out of the more popular stuff.

It's cracking me up about the run on junk food. My little store also has "one item" signs for scarce items, which includes the twinkies, chips, and ice cream.  :laugh:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1349 on: March 22, 2020, 03:59:30 PM »
It's cracking me up about the run on junk food. My little store also has "one item" signs for scarce items, which includes the twinkies, chips, and ice cream.  :laugh:

Comfort food, I'm jonesing for some Oreos but I'm refusing to buy because I'll Houdini a bag of them.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536