Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 444915 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1700 on: March 28, 2020, 06:59:22 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1701 on: March 28, 2020, 06:59:47 PM »
Yeah, meant to mention that potatoes and onions of all strips are back in stock.

In fact, I got a couple of russets and the last 2 nights my dinner has been a loaded baked potato done in the air fryer. Makes GREAT baked potatoes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1704 on: March 28, 2020, 07:25:09 PM »
Who isn't at war with New Rochelle...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #1705 on: March 28, 2020, 08:16:32 PM »
Ref NYC exodus to Rhode Island:
“Yesterday I announced and today I reiterated: Anyone coming to Rhode Island in any way from New York must be quarantined,” the governor said. “By order. Will be enforced. Enforceable by law.”

The local chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union blasted the new rules, objecting to the collection of motorists’ contact information in particular.

Shades of the Japanese quarantine in WWII.

I have no answer.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #1706 on: March 28, 2020, 08:17:37 PM »
Wonder if the current lull will continue until we get the next round of infected,  and then get completely stupid.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #1707 on: March 28, 2020, 08:32:26 PM »
Wonder if the current lull will continue until we get the next round of infected,  and then get completely stupid.
I was wondering about people getting complacent during a lull.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #1708 on: March 28, 2020, 08:52:42 PM »
I'm finding the same interesting thing here. City stores seem to be getting TP in, but the rural grocery stores I go to are stil out of tp, while being much better stocked on most other things. I would have thought rural populations would naturally have a bit more of that stuff stored at home for whatever.

Though  I read in the local paper that many rural areas are complaining about city slickers both coming to their areas to "get away from the virus" and to hit the much, much smaller grocery stores for supplies the city stores are out of. Sort of what we (and many books, both fiction and non-fiction) often talk about as one result of a SHTF scenario.City dwellers leave for the boonies because they somehow think they're "living off the land", not recognizing people are already there and maybe not happy about an invading hoard.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/coronavirus/article241524721.html

Part of my job is selling fishing/hunting licenses, ammo & long guns.  I see a lot of driver licenses, especially over the last few weeks.  I've been seeing licenses from towns over 100 miles from here, a lot from towns I've never heard of.  More than the usual amount are from out of state.

Most of the long distance licenses are for fishing licenses, (they also represent a lot of ammo purchases).  Not sure why, since the local fishing isn't all that great.  There are a few lakes around, but there are also many other places to buy a fishing license much closer to the lakes than we are.  I doubt that they're here for the lodging, again there is more lodging closer to the lakes and we don't have all that much lodging around here.

Probably 99% of the gun and/or ammo purchases are for one of three reasons; 1) I'm going to have to hunt my own food; 2) gotta protect my family/food/supplies/freedom/whatever from the ravaging hordes and/or .gov (state, fed or both depending on the individual); or 3) both 1 & 2.

And the paper aisle at WM is still empty.  Frozen foods are down to maybe 5%.  Veggies, meat & dairy are at ~50%.  Ammo case is basically empty, I could count the available calibers/gauges without taking off my shoes.  It was stocked with at least 20 boxes of asst. last night - the new stock was gone by noon today.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1709 on: March 28, 2020, 08:58:59 PM »
Who isn't at war with New Rochelle...

We have always been at war with New Rochelle
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1710 on: March 29, 2020, 12:52:59 AM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/governor-cuomo-trump-quarantining-new-york-to-stop-coronavirus-is-declaration-of-war-on-new-york

That seems odd, coming from someone that quarantined his whole state. Is he at war with New Rochelle?

From the article:

Later in the interview, CNN’s Ana Cabrera asked Cuomo, “What’s the status when it comes to ventilators in New York state? Because I know that’s been one of the big issues of concern for you.”

Cuomo responded, “Well, the ventilators which by the way, before this situation nobody really gave a second thought to ventilators, what has happened, one of the peculiar situations with this disease it’s a respiratory disease, it effects the lungs very badly and people who are acutely ill with the virus they all need a ventilator and they’re on these ventilators much longer than most people are on ventilators with other diseases.”

“So you have more people needing ventilators, and they’re on them longer, which increases the need for the ventilators. And everybody is trying to get ventilators,” Cuomo continued. “You have 50 states bidding against each other for ventilators. You have 50 states competing with the federal government to buy ventilators. You have countries around the world trying to get ventilators. So we’re trying to do the best we can. We’re acquiring as many as we can. There’s a new technology that we’re using that splits, they call it splitting, where one ventilator can do two people. We are implementing that procedure across the state, and we’re doing the best we can to move people that need the ventilators to places that have the ventilators. But that’s one of the great logistical problems with this entire situation.”

Gotta hand it to the Gov -- that's one of the longest non-answers I think I've ever encountered.

Was it yesterday or two days ago that Cuomo admitted the state of New York has a large stockpile of ventilators that they haven't distributed  yet because "We don't need them yet."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #1711 on: March 29, 2020, 08:24:40 AM »
Those ventilators will continue to sit in the warehouse collecting dust too. Gotta make that death toll as high as possible to help Biden.

Just like the Michigan and Nevada Democrat governors making it illegal for docs to proscribe quinine. 
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1712 on: March 29, 2020, 08:24:53 AM »
One of the IL deaths yesterday was an infant.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1713 on: March 29, 2020, 08:52:48 AM »
One of the IL deaths yesterday was an infant.

Notable because the exception proves the rule.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1714 on: March 29, 2020, 09:15:33 AM »
So all that money that went to the Kennedy Center to keep it and it's employees going? The Kennedy Center just laid off most of their employees. Seems like a good reason to cancel the check and redirect the dough to something response related.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/03/29/nancy-pelosis-slush-fund-kennedy-center-tells-musicians-they-will-stop-paying-them-hours-after-25-million-covid-bailout-signed/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1715 on: March 29, 2020, 09:19:59 AM »
Notable because the exception proves the rule.

To a degree.  One point I've made all along, though, is being American is pretty much a preexisting condition.  America's health is trash.  40% obesity.  30% high blood pressure.  30% of the population is diabetic or prediabetic.
30 million have asthma.  1/3 of the population is over 50. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zahc

• friend
« Reply #1716 on: March 29, 2020, 10:28:07 AM »
To a degree.  One point I've made all along, though, is being American is pretty much a preexisting condition.  America's health is trash.  40% obesity.  30% high blood pressure.  30% of the population is diabetic or prediabetic.
30 million have asthma.  1/3 of the population is over 50.  

Obesity will become a survival asset if we really do hit a real food shortage (as opposed to a temporary inconvenience). Don't they say 10 lb ~= 40,000 calories? If I ate nothing at all for 2 months, I would literally become heathier.

It's sad that the baby died, but a certain number of babies die, even in normal times. We are getting to infection scales where the law of large numbers will dictate it will happen eventually. Eventually we will have our first centenarian death, our first death within one second of midnight, our first death of a person on their birthday, etc...

I'm not saying the virus isn't responsible, just that if you have some arbitrary milestone of first X to die from the virus, it's just a matter of time until it gets crossed, and not surprising when it does. What matters is the overall picture.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1718 on: March 29, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »
Pennsylvania closed its liquor stores and people are pissed.

There have also been a number of articles in state papers and news sites about how the closure could affect alcoholics.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1719 on: March 29, 2020, 11:15:23 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-america-constitution/608665/

Red and Blue America Agree That Now Is the Time to Violate the Constitution
People of both parties seem rather okay with undermining core civil liberties in order to fight the pandemic.

Funny how there is has been such little resistance to these unconstitutional power grabs.

:mad:
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1720 on: March 29, 2020, 11:27:17 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-america-constitution/608665/

Funny how there is has been such little resistance to these unconstitutional power grabs.

Relevant and interesting side discussion. Replace "virus" with "X". I think there are a lot of instances where people talk big about freedom, but like so many other things (e.g., 9/11), they fold pretty quickly for "safety" and "free money".

Devil's advocate: I wonder how many of these constitutional infringements we'd see if people took some basic responsibility to voluntarily give up a few luxuries as a response to the virus. Spring Break comes to mind.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1721 on: March 29, 2020, 11:54:08 AM »
How long before panicky people start shooting people? I fear it may just take a little nudge with some people which will fuel a stronger dem and rino push for gun confiscation  

A group of armed vigilantes cut down a tree and dragged it across a man’s driveway in Maine to force him to quarantine in his home amid fears he could be infected with the coronavirus, officials said.

A man residing on Cripple Creek Road in Vinalhaven, an island off the coast of Maine, called authorities around 3:35 p.m. Friday to report a group of people with guns had cut down a large tree and dragged it in front of his driveway, blocking access to the main road.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/maine-coronavirus-armed-vigilantes-chop-down-tree-block-driveway-force-neighbor-quarantine
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #1722 on: March 29, 2020, 11:56:12 AM »

I don't think it's funny as in ha, ha.  I think it's disgusting.

I don't think it's funny as in hmmm either.  I think it's completely unsurprising.  Further erosion of our rights has been met with yawns and justifications from the majority of the population for many decades.  These most recent degradations are just the next logical step.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1723 on: March 29, 2020, 01:59:12 PM »
Friend of mine is not taking a single precaution because he thinks it's all a hoax. His reasoning? He cites something he found on the interne where some reporter falsified something in a story on the virust thus in his mind all stories on the virus are falsified.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1724 on: March 29, 2020, 04:40:40 PM »
How long before panicky people start shooting people? I fear it may just take a little nudge with some people which will fuel a stronger dem and rino push for gun confiscation  
https://www.foxnews.com/us/maine-coronavirus-armed-vigilantes-chop-down-tree-block-driveway-force-neighbor-quarantine
Since when does "self-quarantine" mean you have to remain in your house and never go outside?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge