Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440241 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #1775 on: March 31, 2020, 11:34:53 AM »
Supposedly the woman who assaulted the elderly lady was in her 30s and has had multiple run ins with the law for a variety of rather heavy stuff. Just the kind of person you wonder why is out in society.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1776 on: March 31, 2020, 11:39:23 AM »
Supposedly the woman who assaulted the elderly lady was in her 30s and has had multiple run ins with the law for a variety of rather heavy stuff. Just the kind of person you wonder why is out in society.

I blame the politicians for cutting funding for the metal hospitals.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #1777 on: March 31, 2020, 11:46:13 AM »

Were they better than the concrete ones of today?

(Politicians weren't the only ones. There was also a strong lobby effort to "humanize" the insane and stop forcing them into institutions, which lead to the defunding...)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1778 on: March 31, 2020, 11:48:02 AM »

(Politicians weren't the only ones. There was also a strong lobby effort to "humanize" the insane and stop forcing them into institutions, which lead to the defunding...)

I thought they were made of rubber...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #1779 on: March 31, 2020, 11:52:13 AM »

At least they're not pop hospitals. Listening to katy perry all day couldn't be good.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1780 on: March 31, 2020, 11:55:06 AM »

There was some of that, and for many (not all) modern medicine allowed them to function in society. In Iowa it was political, mental hospitals are expensive to run and the current party in charge and their funding sources are moving to cut, cut, cut taxes, so things got to go.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #1781 on: March 31, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »
Egalitarianism and tabula rasa run amok.

Some people are mentally broken due to structural or physical reasons and need to be institutionalized. They unfortunately will never be able to function normally.

Instutionalizing them might also catch those who medication can help.

What that would like I have no idea. Letting them live in squalor in and around the big cities is terrible for them and society though.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1782 on: March 31, 2020, 12:22:49 PM »
Just got my notification that I'm an essential government contractor.

Even have an authorization letter in case I'm stopped by the po-po.

Wheeeeeeeee.....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1783 on: March 31, 2020, 12:45:56 PM »
Hey, tangent subject: What do you guys think the virus will do for wait times for NFA stuff? I have two stinkin' suppressors in jail right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1784 on: March 31, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »
Hey, tangent subject: What do you guys think the virus will do for wait times for NFA stuff? I have two stinkin' suppressors in jail right now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it extend.  A lot of the office types in the federal government have been sent home.  Some are working from home but I don't know how equipped the BATAFEIEIO was for work from home.

On another note, San Fran is seeing a slowdown in cases, 2 weeks after they locked down
https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2020/03/30/bend-it-like-the-bay-area-doctors-see-flatter-curve-after-2-weeks-of-social-isolation-1269663
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1785 on: March 31, 2020, 02:13:00 PM »
In Iowa it was political, mental hospitals are expensive to run and the current party in charge and their funding sources are moving to cut, cut, cut taxes, so things got to go.
I know you like repeating the "we're just not taxed enough!", and "things would be so much better if those darn politicians would just tax us more!" lines, but ...

Sorry, I flipped the colors between charts, but the labels are correct.  I don't think the dollars are inflation adjusted, but even when you adjust for inflation the trend is definitely up, up, up not cut, cut, cut.

https://usafacts.org/data/topics/government-finances/spending/?state=19

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #1786 on: March 31, 2020, 02:43:01 PM »
I must say that I would not have predicted the bay area to be doing relatively well at this point.
After 14 days — the outermost period at which symptoms are believed to emerge post-infection — doctors at area hospitals are now reporting fewer cases than they expected to see at this point, and officials credit the lockdown with stemming the tide of patients they feared would flood into emergency rooms.
Because testing remains uneven, it's difficult to draw broad comparisons between regions. A few weeks ago, America's most populous state drew the nation's greatest concern after community spread was detected here first. But California now has fewer total deaths than five other U.S. states, according to the Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center. And on a per capita basis, 13 states had a higher death rate Monday.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1787 on: March 31, 2020, 02:54:58 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #1788 on: March 31, 2020, 02:56:56 PM »
I must say that I would not have predicted the bay area to be doing relatively well at this point.

Probably because feces isn't a big transmission vector.
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1789 on: March 31, 2020, 02:59:31 PM »
I know you like repeating the "we're just not taxed enough!", and "things would be so much better if those darn politicians would just tax us more!" lines, but ...
https://i.imgur.com/2kR8DUV.png
https://i.imgur.com/6UkujWe.png

Sorry, I flipped the colors between charts, but the labels are correct.  I don't think the dollars are inflation adjusted, but even when you adjust for inflation the trend is definitely up, up, up not cut, cut, cut.

https://usafacts.org/data/topics/government-finances/spending/?state=19

Those charts are faulty because goods and services cost more than what in 1983 then why they do in 2016. Households also make more money then what they did in 1983.

I wish they wouldn't cut taxes because a tax cut in one area, is usually a bigger tax increase in another. Cut property taxes and there is a local sales tax increase to pay for what property taxes paid for, etc. Iowa also has 3.1 million people, not a huge tax base so one should expect taxes to be higher than a smaller sized state with more residents.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #1790 on: March 31, 2020, 03:02:51 PM »

There's good news in Washington, too.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/update-spread-appears-to-be-slowing-down-195-total-deaths-in-first-u-s-coronavirus-hotbed-seattle

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #1791 on: March 31, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »
Ran across this article from WebMD (You Are Going To DieTM) https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200331/covid-19-death-rate-drops-still-deadly-to-seniors
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1792 on: March 31, 2020, 04:57:31 PM »
Those charts are faulty because goods and services cost more than what in 1983 then why they do in 2016.  Households also make more money then what they did in 1983.
Yes, that's called inflation, which I already addressed but I'd be happy to do so more explicitly.  From what I could find, inflation from 1983 to 2016 is something like an average of 3% a year or 191% total.  Add in the original amount and you're looking at essentially tripling the 1983 amount to achieve a rough equivalence with the 2016 amount.  So if state revenue per person were $1,673.88 in 1983 then in 2016 you'd expect it to be something like $5,021.64.  

Instead we see $7,912.32.  But even if all the increase were straight inflation and not actual increase in government budget, I'm still not seeing the "cut, cut, cut" when it comes either to taxation or to spending, which was - if I'm not misunderstanding you - your original claim that Republicans and "their funding sources" were pushing to the presumed detriment of your state.

I wish they wouldn't cut taxes because a tax cut in one area, is usually a bigger tax increase in another. Cut property taxes and there is a local sales tax increase to pay for what property taxes paid for, etc.
Which is it?  You don't want the government to cut taxes at all because you want higher taxes to pay for more services (reference your "cut, cut, cut" statement), or you don't want them to play the stupid shell game where they change where they're taxing you because they end up taxing you more?  Those positions seem to be at odds with each other.

Iowa also has 3.1 million people, not a huge tax base so one should expect taxes to be higher than a smaller sized state with more residents.
???
That's an interesting story, and maybe there is even some truth in it somewhere, but I don't think population (or population density, or whatever it was you were implying) is the defining factor for the overall cost of government per person.  I pulled the stats for the largest state, the smallest state, and all the ones around Iowa and put them below if you are curious to put numbers to your idea.  I'm not seeing any indication of any sort of clear relationship there.

I've seen you push the "Our state government is too small and it is wrong for the Republicans to cut taxes!" line a number of times before, and while I do appreciate you challenging the baseline on this forum, upon actually looking at the numbers it seems to me that you are arguing from false ideological assumptions instead of facts.

Population vs taxation per person.
StatePopulationTotal tax revenue per personState and local tax revenue per person
California39,512,223$18,366.02 $11,499.58
Connecticut3,565,287$24,789.57 $9,817.97
Utah3,205,958$12,037.01 $6,810.39
Iowa3,155,070$15,776.97 $8,848.79
Nevada3,080,156$15,282.68 $7,906.74
Arkansas3,017,825$13,259.35 $6,840.93
Wyoming578,759$18,504.61 $10,230.39

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #1793 on: March 31, 2020, 05:18:32 PM »
Yes, that's called inflation, which I already addressed but I'd be happy to do so more explicitly.  From what I could find, inflation from 1983 to 2016 is something like an average of 3% a year or 191% total.  Add in the original amount and you're looking at essentially tripling the 1983 amount to achieve a rough equivalence with the 2016 amount.  So if state revenue per person were $1,673.88 in 1983 then in 2016 you'd expect it to be something like $5,021.64.  

Instead we see $7,912.32.  But even if all the increase were straight inflation and not actual increase in government budget, I'm still not seeing the "cut, cut, cut" when it comes either to taxation or to spending, which was - if I'm not misunderstanding you - your original claim that Republicans and "their funding sources" were pushing to the presumed detriment of your state.
Which is it?  You don't want the government to cut taxes at all because you want higher taxes to pay for more services (reference your "cut, cut, cut" statement), or you don't want them to play the stupid shell game where they change where they're taxing you because they end up taxing you more?  Those positions seem to be at odds with each other.
 ???
That's an interesting story, and maybe there is even some truth in it somewhere, but I don't think population (or population density, or whatever it was you were implying) is the defining factor for the overall cost of government per person.  I pulled the stats for the largest state, the smallest state, and all the ones around Iowa and put them below if you are curious to put numbers to your idea.  I'm not seeing any indication of any sort of clear relationship there.

I've seen you push the "Our state government is too small and it is wrong for the Republicans to cut taxes!" line a number of times before, and while I do appreciate you challenging the baseline on this forum, upon actually looking at the numbers it seems to me that you are arguing from false ideological assumptions instead of facts.

Population vs taxation per person.
StatePopulationTotal tax revenue per personState and local tax revenue per person
California39,512,223$18,366.02 $11,499.58
Connecticut3,565,287$24,789.57 $9,817.97
Utah3,205,958$12,037.01 $6,810.39
Iowa3,155,070$15,776.97 $8,848.79
Nevada3,080,156$15,282.68 $7,906.74
Arkansas3,017,825$13,259.35 $6,840.93
Wyoming578,759$18,504.61 $10,230.39

Ok Google warrior! One thing you don't live here, I do. GOP is in charge in the legislative and gov office (since 2016) and by law they have cut income and property taxes, you can research that. If you chart says the revenue is coming in is going up, where the *expletive deleted*ck is the new money coming from and why the *expletive deleted*ck are they ending or cutting programs and services if this revenue is increasing??

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1794 on: March 31, 2020, 05:22:25 PM »
Californians seem to have taken the social distancing seriously early on. 
Meanwhile, in NYC, thousands flocked out to see the USNS Comfort dock. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #1795 on: March 31, 2020, 05:33:52 PM »
Ok Google warrior! One thing you don't live here, I do.

Is residency a requirement to discuss the political and economic conditions occurring in a particular place?  :P

GOP is in charge in the legislative and gov office (since 2016) and by law they have cut income and property taxes, you can research that. If you chart says the revenue is coming in is going up, where the *expletive deleted*ck is the new money coming from and why the *expletive deleted*ck are they ending or cutting programs and services if this revenue is increasing??

Now that's a good question, which hopefully cordex can find an answer to.

If income and property taxes have been cut, and spending per person is going up, where's the money coming from?  Or, has the population decreased?  Have real wages increased?

If the state is ending or cutting programs and services, but spending per person is going up, where is that money being spent?  ???

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1796 on: March 31, 2020, 07:58:58 PM »
206 confirmed cases, 7 dead in Louisville
591 and 18 for the state.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1797 on: March 31, 2020, 09:01:16 PM »
Ok Google warrior!
:laugh:

If you chart says the revenue is coming in is going up, where the *expletive deleted*ck is the new money coming from and why the *expletive deleted*ck are they ending or cutting programs and services if this revenue is increasing??
What programs specifically are you upset about?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #1798 on: March 31, 2020, 10:07:49 PM »
So Iowa is decreasing spending, or just concentrating it into fewer, more essential services? Sounds like a winner, either way.

Then again, it's government, so I'm going to conclude the state has suspended infrastructure spending to support drag queen environmental basket-weaving.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?