Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440142 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #2975 on: May 14, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »
I'm just amazed at the blatant stupidity of people in power.

She deserves to be fired just for being that stupid. I see she's a doctor. Likely hubris played a role, too.

We live in interesting times. 

"arrogance and stupidity, in one convenient package"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2976 on: May 14, 2020, 07:20:57 PM »
So now that commie pinko liberal journalists might get laid off instead of deplorables, we'd better hurry up and open the *expletive deleted*ck back up and save their jobs!

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/05/14/amen-sister-bethany-mandel-has-some-thoughts-about-blue-checks-suddenly-concerned-about-consequences-of-covid19-lockdowns/

Good golly, Miss Molly!

Quote from: BuzzFeed News Union
Losing a newsroom job now isn't just a temporary setback. For many colleagues let go, this could be the end of their careers in journalism -- all the more calamitous when the work journalists do has never been more important.

"... the work journalists do has never been more important"? What a masterpiece of self-aggrandizement. How about "... has never been less important." Every  John and Jane Doe with a  cell phone is a journalist today, and anybody who's anybody has a web site or a blog or a Twitter or Facebook account. There's a reason why newspapers are hemorrhaging red ink -- it's because "journalists" today are becoming increasingly irrelevant. In a day and age when Greta Thunberg is suddenly a CNN "expert," what purpose do run-of-the-mill journalists serve?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2977 on: May 14, 2020, 07:21:24 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2978 on: May 14, 2020, 07:23:59 PM »
Good golly, Miss Molly!

"... the work journalists do has never been more important"? What a masterpiece of self-aggrandizement. How about "... has never been less important." Every  John and Jane Doe with a  cell phone is a journalist today, and anybody who's anybody has a web site or a blog or a Twitter or Facebook account. There's a reason why newspapers are hemorrhaging red ink -- it's because "journalists" today are becoming increasingly irrelevant. In a day and age when Greta Thunberg is suddenly a CNN "expert," what purpose do run-of-the-mill journalists serve?

It's all fun and games until the liberals start losing their jobs.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2979 on: May 14, 2020, 09:18:37 PM »
San Diego County: Malls can reopen
Also San Diego County: No customers are allowed inside  
:facepalm:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/05/14/not-the-onion-or-babylon-bee-san-diego-countys-covid-19-alert-system-update-sums-up-shutdown-insanity-perfectly/

I want to give benefit of the doubt, and assume they're doing curbside pickup or delivery, but can mall stores really do that? There's a hundred internet companies already doing a much better job of that.

I guess it's no crazier than anything else in California.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2980 on: May 14, 2020, 09:29:10 PM »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2982 on: May 15, 2020, 11:35:29 AM »
Because science!

"People are starting to realize that we are actually depending on science and that we need to listen to scientists and experts." -Teen activist Greta Thunberg on how people are reacting to science and what that means for the climate crisis. #CNNTownHall https://t.co/EvUEaN7gza pic.twitter.com/HLQb1AQ7ax

— CNN (@CNN) May 15, 2020

More at the link

Anderson Cooper did NOT like people mocking CNN for featuring Greta Thunberg on their super science-y coronavirus town hall (Donald Trump Jr’s photo response is priceless)
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/05/15/anderson-cooper-did-not-like-people-mocking-cnn-for-featuring-greta-thunberg-on-their-super-science-y-coronavirus-town-hall-donald-trump-jrs-photo-response-is-priceless/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:12:01 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2983 on: May 15, 2020, 02:02:25 PM »
    "People are starting to realize that we are actually depending on science and that we need to listen to scientists and experts." -Teen activist Greta Thunberg on how people are reacting to science and what that means for the climate crisis. #CNNTownHall https://t.co/EvUEaN7gza pic.twitter.com/HLQb1AQ7ax

— CNN (@CNN) May 15, 2020

Need I point out the irony?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2984 on: May 15, 2020, 02:04:44 PM »
Need I point out the irony?

... that people are going to be even more distrustful of "SCIENCE!!!" after it's been shown to wildly and drastically wrong in this situation?

No, people will understand that... unless they BELIEVE THE SCIENCE!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2985 on: May 15, 2020, 02:11:06 PM »
I was thinking of the other irony. The fact that CNN had her on just then to talk about a pandemic is evidence that people don't really want to hear from scientists or experts - she's pretty doggone far from being either.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2986 on: May 15, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »
I was thinking of the other irony. The fact that CNN had her on just then to talk about a pandemic is evidence that people don't really want to hear from scientists or experts - she's pretty doggone far from being either.

It's just layers of irony all wrapped around a sad joke.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2987 on: May 15, 2020, 02:22:06 PM »
how dare you

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2988 on: May 16, 2020, 08:56:21 AM »
I figured she'd be all for the virus.  "We are the virus" isn't that the meme?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2989 on: May 16, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »
I figured she'd be all for the virus.  "We are the virus" isn't that the meme?

Plus if 100,000,000 people died and everybody else locked down, it saves the Earth, right?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2990 on: May 16, 2020, 02:14:39 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #2991 on: May 16, 2020, 08:59:28 PM »

That clenches it. I ain't never getting tested!

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2992 on: May 17, 2020, 10:29:52 AM »
Interesting chart. Note the states with higher or near equal virus deaths than flu deaths. Not that this isn't hindsight, but it's certainly food for thought regarding "one size fits all" lockdowns. Even in the case of "heavy-handed" lockdowns, look at the difference between CA and MI. Or NY, which seems to be turning into an outlier.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2993 on: May 17, 2020, 02:30:23 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-spike-coronavirus-places-reopening-132442853.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Authorities are not seeing spikes in coronavirus cases in places that are reopening but are seeing increases in some areas that remain closed, U.S. health secretary Alex Azar said on Sunday.
Asked about images being broadcast from some areas of the country showing people gathering near bars and congregating close together, Azar said that was the cost of freedom.

Exactly.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2994 on: May 17, 2020, 02:52:42 PM »
So the nation-state of California, the 5th largest economy in the world, is complaining it's not getting enough dough from the feds to recover from the virus:

https://twitchy.com/jacobb-38/2020/05/17/respectfully-a-top-gop-senator-gives-gavin-newsom-a-good-reason-to-stop-criticizing-the-senate-and-begging-for-more-federal-money/

In the meantime, they got 11% of the relief money that was meant for all 50 states. Seems to me if they ever secede, they'll last about 19 days before they start issuing $100 trillion dollar bank notes ala Zimbabwe.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2995 on: May 17, 2020, 05:33:13 PM »
Interesting chart. Note the states with higher or near equal virus deaths than flu deaths. Not that this isn't hindsight, but it's certainly food for thought regarding "one size fits all" lockdowns. Even in the case of "heavy-handed" lockdowns, look at the difference between CA and MI. Or NY, which seems to be turning into an outlier.

Must be dated, Iowa is north of 300 covid deaths so far.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2996 on: May 17, 2020, 05:34:14 PM »
Must be dated, Iowa is north of 300 covid deaths so far.

The chart says 30 April.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2997 on: May 17, 2020, 06:39:34 PM »
I went in for a physical at an urgent care place last week. I figured they would ask me to wear a mask, but they only had a sign saying "if you have such-and-such symptoms, please ask for a mask." The only thing that was different was that the staff wore masks, and asked me to wait in my car, instead of in the waiting room.

I did end up going to St Charles County last week, to get a haircut. St Louis County isn't supposed to start "opening" until next week.

Other than Menards, I still haven't seen any stores asking customers to wear masks. Actually, I just remembered I had to return a purchase at MicroCenter last week, and they had sign about their new masks-for-all policy. There was a lass handing out masks at the door, and I walked past her, then turned back to ask her where to take my return. She didn't say anything to me about masks. What woman would deprive herself the pleasure of viewing this handsome mug?  :lol:

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2998 on: May 17, 2020, 10:53:39 PM »
The photo you use as an avatar just doesn't do you justice, does it??  >:D    ;)

Profile shots are  hard to do right.  :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
- Calvin and Hobbes