Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 439942 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3025 on: May 19, 2020, 09:06:20 PM »
Phone call I got this AM from a medical person working a current Covid hotspot wasn't good. The current situation is horrible there and they are already begining to prepare for the next wave, pretty much their superiors are thinking we are going to be *expletive deleted*ed.

I can't disclose where or whom, lots of gag orders because things are supposed to be cheery so the economy grows and no more panics at the grocery store, also this person is so conservative that they would make a lot you look like democrats. Phone call started with do you know any pork producers in my 20 that would be willing to sell a few pigs to me.

HyVee has pork butts for $1.49 a pound right now.  (at least they did 2 days ago)  That's not the same as buying whole or half hogs but it's a start.  I bought a couple.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3026 on: May 19, 2020, 10:01:47 PM »
We are certainly doing some long-range planning for winter and a possible concurrent flu and COVID season.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3027 on: May 20, 2020, 08:21:09 AM »
Reports from China that C19 Mark II may be on the loose with somewhat different symptoms
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3028 on: May 20, 2020, 08:22:06 AM »
Reports from China that C19 Mark II may be on the loose with somewhat different symptoms

Can we have zombies this round, please?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3029 on: May 20, 2020, 10:57:27 AM »
'TRUMP SMASH!' Roars Giant Green President After Taking One Too Many Doses Of Hydroxychloroquine
https://babylonbee.com/news/trump-smash-roars-giant-green-president-after-taking-one-too-many-doses-of-hydroxychloroquine?utm_content=buffer7cd3d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Trump began to smash the room up as his alter ego and then ran upstairs where he destroyed much of the West Wing. He was finally calmed down and returned to normal as aides leaped onto his back and injected him with a shot of Clorox.

And the words "green man bad" were heard repeated on left wing discussion sites all over the internet. 
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3030 on: May 21, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »
Apparently, it's been determined the virus doesn't spread via surfaces as readily as first assumed:

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2020/05/20/cdc-now-says-virus-does-not-spread-easily-on-surfaces-n411684

So that's good news . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3031 on: May 21, 2020, 12:24:46 PM »
Don't know if it's my imagination or not but seems like most bad news C19 headlines have a picture of Trump underneath them while many good news ones are over a picture of a dem. The AP stories that many local news sites copy and paste seem to be the worse ones about it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3032 on: May 21, 2020, 12:55:38 PM »
Apparently, it's been determined the virus doesn't spread via surfaces as readily as first assumed:

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2020/05/20/cdc-now-says-virus-does-not-spread-easily-on-surfaces-n411684

Oh, good. All the time I spent not wiping everything down once I got back from the store has been post-hoc justified. I was just prescient.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3033 on: May 21, 2020, 01:21:05 PM »

Good news if you choose to believe it. The problem is, the CDC and the WHO (IMHO) have zero credibility at this point. First we needed to all wear N95 masks. Then we didn't need to wear masks. Then we should all wear masks, but they don't have to be N95.

The virus only survives on most surfaces from a couple of hours (on copper) to a couple of days. Then they found it survives up to or beyond two weeks on some surfaces. Now we don't have to worry about touching surfaces.

I don't know what to believe. Florida took the woman who was running their virus information web page off the job because she refused to fudge the numbers. I've been tracking numbers for my state from their daily updates since early March. Around May 3 a discrepancy appeared -- the number of new cases from one day to the next suddenly didn't match the total, but (IIRC) 25. And the total number of deaths was suddenly off by 51. No explanation, and the discrepancies continue, each and every day. And there are still no data (for my state, anyway) on number of recoveries, which means there's no idea how many active cases there are. Johns Hopkins COVID-19 tracking page shows some recoveries for my state, but the number hasn't changed in a week, so recoveries are obviously not being tracked and reported in any systematic fashion.

I don't believe anything they tell me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3034 on: May 21, 2020, 01:24:35 PM »
Good news if you choose to believe it. The problem is, the CDC and the WHO (IMHO) have zero credibility at this point. First we needed to all wear N95 masks. Then we didn't need to wear masks. Then we should all wear masks, but they don't have to be N95.

The virus only survives on most surfaces from a couple of hours (on copper) to a couple of days. Then they found it survives up to or beyond two weeks on some surfaces. Now we don't have to worry about touching surfaces.

I don't know what to believe. Florida took the woman who was running their virus information web page off the job because she refused to fudge the numbers. I've been tracking numbers for my state from their daily updates since early March. Around May 3 a discrepancy appeared -- the number of new cases from one day to the next suddenly didn't match the total, but (IIRC) 25. And the total number of deaths was suddenly off by 51. No explanation, and the discrepancies continue, each and every day. And there are still no data (for my state, anyway) on number of recoveries, which means there's no idea how many active cases there are. Johns Hopkins COVID-19 tracking page shows some recoveries for my state, but the number hasn't changed in a week, so recoveries are obviously not being tracked and reported in any systematic fashion.

The woman in Florida is (was, as she was rightly fired for insubordination) a DATA ENTRY DRONE. We have several of the sort in my line of work. They ought to (and do) have ZERO involvement with determining whether the data is right. They just put in the data that other people have already confirmed and ensure that the data other have given them is displaying correctly. 

They don't get to decide the appropriateness of the data.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #3035 on: May 21, 2020, 01:58:54 PM »

I'm with you, what the hell are we supposed to believe when the story keeps changing?  The constantly changing story doesn't help their (WHO, CDC, etc) credibility.

If people are showing positive after they've had the flu and recovered it's going to be hard to track who's actually recovered.  How do you count the re-infected?  Are they counted as a new case?  Or do you remove them from the count of those who've recovered?

I wear a mask at work because it's required.  I do use hand sanitizer before eating at work.  Because of where I work, that's a standard precaution anyway.  Other than that it's business as usual. 

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3036 on: May 21, 2020, 02:16:18 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3037 on: May 21, 2020, 02:19:42 PM »

Until things are back to the way they were under Obama
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3038 on: May 21, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »
[img width=700]https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/99127114_10223206496219560_3064396871490338816_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=ca434c&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=ijc4kJKV85MAX-t15QS&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=607d35d860674e02517a72e283f36592&oe=5EEC6AB9

That is becoming way too close to the truth not just with the beer virus, but practically everything else. We have that Lewis and Clark thread going. I wonder what they would think of our "safety above all else" society? I guess that goes for people who are still alive today too, like Apollo astronauts. Or Chuck Yeager.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3039 on: May 21, 2020, 02:40:54 PM »

Only? How many people can touch a door handle in two hours or two days?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3040 on: May 21, 2020, 07:40:01 PM »
The Michigan AG has announced that effective immediately, the POTUS is persona non grata in the state of Michigan. She is also looking at bringing the Ford Motor Company up on charges for not forcing POTUS to wear a mask. How exactly were they supposed to order him to do that?

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/05/21/michigan-attorney-general-says-petulant-child-president-trump-is-no-longer-welcome-in-the-state-for-not-wearing-a-mask/

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3041 on: May 21, 2020, 08:09:08 PM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3042 on: May 22, 2020, 06:56:14 PM »
So Katie figured out her method of social distance drop of and pick up for pets. She bought a kennel run with two outer gates and one gate in the middle. Customer goes in one side with dog, removes leash and collar, we open middle gate and call dog through to our side, put on our leash and then take the dog into building. For pick up, reverse the procedure. It was even featured on the local news.

Katie is now trying to figure out how to keep it once quarantine is over. We think with a little fancy verbal trickery we can keep it until end of summer. It's glorious. No customers allowed in the building is awesome.

Not all of this quarantine stuff is bad.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3043 on: May 22, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »
No customers allowed in the building is awesome.

So true.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3044 on: May 22, 2020, 10:22:17 PM »
So Katie figured out her method of social distance drop of and pick up for pets. She bought a kennel run with two outer gates and one gate in the middle. Customer goes in one side with dog, removes leash and collar, we open middle gate and call dog through to our side, put on our leash and then take the dog into building. For pick up, reverse the procedure. It was even featured on the local news.

Katie is now trying to figure out how to keep it once quarantine is over. We think with a little fancy verbal trickery we can keep it until end of summer. It's glorious. No customers allowed in the building is awesome.

It's Cville, you could surely convince someone to roll in a kiddie pool of essential oils or something to ward of the virus. I really do know someone who is burning sage like mad and picking out the appropriate crystals. Some of us are rooting for the virus.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3045 on: May 23, 2020, 11:16:03 AM »

Umm ... Question: What makes Katie think the cats and dogs can't carry and spread the Covid - or anything else for that matter?

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3046 on: May 23, 2020, 11:50:58 AM »
Umm ... Question: What makes Katie think the cats and dogs can't carry and spread the Covid - or anything else for that matter?

Woody

According to the CDC  they don't ,   although apparently cats are somewhat susceptible to covid 19 disease.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3047 on: May 23, 2020, 03:02:27 PM »
Cuomo's little nursing home problem is all Orange Man's fault.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo Saturday doubled down on his state's now-scrapped nursing home policy that critics say contributed to thousands of coronavirus deaths and instead blamed the problem on President Trump and his administration.

"New York followed the president's agency guidance," Cuomo said Saturday at his press conference. ".... What New York did was follow what the Republican Administration said to do. That's not my attempt to politicize it. It's my attempt to depoliticize it. So don't criticize the state for following the president's policy."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cuomo-blames-trump-nursing-home-debacle-new-york-coronavirus
- Calvin and Hobbes

JN01

• friend
« Reply #3048 on: May 23, 2020, 04:42:01 PM »
The governor's office said New York's original nursing home policy was in line with a March 13 directive from the Trump Administration's Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and Centers from Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that went out to all states on how to control infections in nursing homes.

I guess if you believe that the scientists are always right, even when suggesting something that anyone with an iota of common sense would think was a terrible idea, then it isn't your fault when it goes all FUBAR.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3049 on: May 23, 2020, 05:27:25 PM »

Woody

:facepalm: I think the point kind of just flew right over your head.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds