Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440058 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3075 on: May 25, 2020, 10:51:01 PM »
https://www.boston.com/news/crime/2020/05/22/church-that-defied-coronavirus-restrictions-is-burned-to-the-ground
Mississippi Church that defied stay-at-home orders burned to the ground in suspected arson

That was reported a few days ago, and we've barely talked about it. Imagine the coverage and controversy if it were one of the predominantly black churches that was staying open (of which there is at least one; presumably others).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3076 on: May 26, 2020, 09:55:18 AM »

That was reported a few days ago, and we've barely talked about it. Imagine the coverage and controversy if it were one of the predominantly black churches that was staying open (of which there is at least one; presumably others).
Doesn't surprise me.  This thread has moved fast at times and I know I have skipped pages after being away for a day or two.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3077 on: May 26, 2020, 10:12:32 AM »
Doesn't surprise me.  This thread has moved fast at times and I know I have skipped pages after being away for a day or two.

What I'm getting at is the way media is ignoring this story, compared to how they'd cover a racist church-burning. Or imagine how many weeks we'd spend talking about a church being burned down if it were the kind flying rainbow flags outside?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3078 on: May 26, 2020, 10:16:33 AM »
Mask nazis:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1264721468761481216

Another one of those stories that illustrate how we're all in this together. Here's another:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/more-details-emerge-on-viral-video-of-white-karen-calling-cops-on-black-man-who-asked-her-to-leash-her-dog

(Don't watch the video if people mistreating dogs raises your blood pressure.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3079 on: May 26, 2020, 10:18:03 AM »
What I'm getting at is the way media is ignoring this story, compared to how they'd cover a racist church-burning. Or imagine how many weeks we'd spend talking about a church being burned down if it were the kind flying rainbow flags outside?
Well, in this case they only spray painted messages on the concrete.  If they had left a noose somewhere, that would be different.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3080 on: May 26, 2020, 10:21:38 AM »
Another one of those stories that illustrate how we're all in this together. Here's another:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/more-details-emerge-on-viral-video-of-white-karen-calling-cops-on-black-man-who-asked-her-to-leash-her-dog

I was reading that before the video started, the guy was, while not making a direct threat, was alluding that dog treats he had in his pocket were poison, and he was calling her dog to him.

She's still guilty of stupidity though. Best comment that I read was (paraphrased), "What happens when two entitled liberal elites collide."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3081 on: May 26, 2020, 10:33:00 AM »
I was reading that before the video started, the guy was, while not making a direct threat, was alluding that dog treats he had in his pocket were poison, and he was calling her dog to him.

She's still guilty of stupidity though. Best comment that I read was (paraphrased), "What happens when two entitled liberal elites collide."
I was seeing that on Twitter and elsewhere this morning.  I was wondering what the guy might have done that caused her to freak out (even if it wasn't serious).  The dog treats is odd, but her claiming poison and then claiming he is threatening her is going way off the deep end. 

Giving dog treats to other people's dogs would seem to be a good way to get them to use a leash.  More of an urban/suburban tactic.  Obviously some people will not take it well. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3082 on: May 26, 2020, 11:16:03 AM »
So last week or so, IA governor said anyone can go get tested now, don't need to play the online survey lottery to see if you are selected. Of course shortly after that a bunch of state run testing locations were shutdown. I'm really not one to buy in to conspiracy theories, but something smells like pig manure over this. Seems like someone doesn't want to the numbers of infected to skyrocket, especially since most of the businesses were closed were allowed to open back up last week, bars will be open on Thursday. 

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3083 on: May 26, 2020, 11:34:20 AM »
So last week or so, IA governor said anyone can go get tested now, don't need to play the online survey lottery to see if you are selected. Of course shortly after that a bunch of state run testing locations were shutdown. I'm really not one to buy in to conspiracy theories, but something smells like pig manure over this. Seems like someone doesn't want to the numbers of infected to skyrocket, especially since most of the businesses were closed were allowed to open back up last week, bars will be open on Thursday. 
I'll allow that it is possible that your favorite governor may be playing politics with COVID - all the rest of the politicians certainly seem to be - but from what I've heard we hit the point some time ago where there was much more test availability than people wanting to get tested.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3084 on: May 26, 2020, 11:38:23 AM »
I'll allow that it is possible that your favorite governor may be playing politics with COVID - all the rest of the politicians certainly seem to be - but from what I've heard we hit the point some time ago where there was much more test availability than people wanting to get tested.

Over the weekend we had quite a few local news stories about folks wanting to get tested but no place to get tested, unless they drove a few hours and made an appointment in advance. Every county has a public health office, state could of kicked testing over to them in most of the counties that are not currently a hot spot.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3085 on: May 26, 2020, 11:59:37 AM »

That is a very panicked dog by the end.  I'm sure it was picking up on it's owners distress, but damn.  I routinely scoff at leash laws, as my dog is old, slow, under firm voice command, and won't get more than 10 feet from me anyway, but you have to know if you are being a scofflaw, sometime people call you out on it.

You have to wonder why she wouldn't just leave.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3086 on: May 26, 2020, 12:18:49 PM »

You have to wonder why she wouldn't just leave.

I guess you missed the "entitled liberal elite" part of my post.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3087 on: May 26, 2020, 12:33:04 PM »
Valid point.  Soon to be "unemployed entitled liberal elite."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3088 on: May 26, 2020, 01:17:55 PM »
Valid point.  Soon to be "unemployed entitled liberal elite."

Hmmm ... actions have consequences.

Who knew?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3089 on: May 26, 2020, 01:50:28 PM »

Heysoos Aitch, did the dog survive?  Looked like it was going down for the count in a couple of places.

Yeah, when aholes collide, but truth to be told, I look at a lot of videos nowadays as "prepared."  Oh, let me say it and get it over with: "FAKED."

And here we are believing stuff just because it's on video, much like people believe everything they read in the newspapers because it's in printed form.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:24:12 PM by 230RN »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3090 on: May 26, 2020, 02:18:19 PM »
I was seeing that on Twitter and elsewhere this morning.  I was wondering what the guy might have done that caused her to freak out (even if it wasn't serious).  The dog treats is odd, but her claiming poison and then claiming he is threatening her is going way off the deep end. 

Giving dog treats to other people's dogs would seem to be a good way to get them to use a leash.  More of an urban/suburban tactic.  Obviously some people will not take it well. 

This is my take, too. If you want to have a place to let your dog run free, PAY FOR IT. If you aren't willing to do that (as New York Liberals seem to think others should be paying for their preferences), then you're going to get called on it.

This guy looks like he's had to deal with entitled New Yorkers plenty and was prepared for it. I also note how the entitled Karen IMMEDIATELY said he was threatening her life. Someone that unhinged should not be allowed in public.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3091 on: May 26, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »
Heysoos Aitch, did the dog survive?  Looked like it was going down for the count in a couple of places.

Yeah, when aholes collide, but truth to be told, I look at a lot of videos nowadays as "prepared."  Oh, let me say it and get it over with: "FAKED."

And here we are believing stuff just because it's on video, much like people believe everything they read in the newspapers because it's in printed form.

Terry

It might be faked, or they might both be jerks, but none of that would seem to justify the dog getting dragged around by its collar that way. It appears she had a leash, but was messing with her phone, when she might have been at least putting the leash on.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3092 on: May 26, 2020, 05:37:45 PM »
It might be faked, or they might both be jerks, but none of that would seem to justify the dog getting dragged around by its collar that way. It appears she had a leash, but was messing with her phone, when she might have been at least putting the leash on.

We clearly aren't the only people that think that.

From the article:
Abandoned Angels Cocker Spaniel Rescue, from which Amy adopted the dog a few years ago, is currently holding the dog after she “voluntarily surrendered” it “while the incident is being addressed,” NBC reports.

Which brings up another point.  What kind of person turns their dog over to the crazy rescue folks over some social media flap?  She's gotta know she's not getting that pup back.  The real victim is that dog, who was rescued by a neurotic wad of entitlement, forced to live in an apartment in NYC, then ripped away from that home as well.  Someone from upstate with some yard space needs to adopt that poor thing.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3094 on: May 26, 2020, 06:40:10 PM »
We clearly aren't the only people that think that.

From the article:
Which brings up another point.  What kind of person turns their dog over to the crazy rescue folks over some social media flap?  She's gotta know she's not getting that pup back.  The real victim is that dog, who was rescued by a neurotic wad of entitlement, forced to live in an apartment in NYC, then ripped away from that home as well.  Someone from upstate with some yard space needs to adopt that poor thing.

I suspect, given all the media attention, people will be queuing up to adopt the poor thing.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3095 on: May 26, 2020, 07:04:31 PM »
If I'm out with my dog and I turn him loose in an empty but public area, and I get caught (it happens)  I say "Sorry!" and put the leash back on the dog and everybody goes about their day.  Isn't that what normal people do?  I feel bad for the dog here, and I haven't even watched the video.  I don't feel bad for "Karen" or the black man, they might even deserve each other.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3096 on: May 26, 2020, 09:10:40 PM »
If I'm out with my dog and I turn him loose in an empty but public area, and I get caught (it happens)  I say "Sorry!" and put the leash back on the dog and everybody goes about their day.  Isn't that what normal people do?  I feel bad for the dog here, and I haven't even watched the video.  I don't feel bad for "Karen" or the black man, they might even deserve each other.

I think they're both named Karen.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3097 on: May 26, 2020, 09:16:03 PM »
If I'm out with my dog and I turn him loose in an empty but public area, and I get caught (it happens)  I say "Sorry!" and put the leash back on the dog and everybody goes about their day.  Isn't that what normal people do? 

One would think.

Observing human behaviour in response to this plague season is way more interesting to me than the whole virus/plague thing itself.  It keeps reminding me we really don't know what's going on in other peoples' heads.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3098 on: May 26, 2020, 09:16:53 PM »
When he said then I will do what I want and you won't like it and called the dog over I can see starting to worry. I don't care what color the person is.

I'll never be in that situation because one I'll never be in New York and two I'll never have a dog if they don't have room to run on my place.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3099 on: May 26, 2020, 09:43:04 PM »
For some personal C19 news I was finally able to get a hair cut.
No longer feel the urge to say "Wow Man" constantly
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes