Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440035 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3825 on: August 13, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »
Chicken Wings. Cue the panic

Frozen chicken wings imported from Brazil to China tested positive for COVID-19, officials from the city of Shenzhen said.
Chicken wings test positive for coronavirus in China
https://www.wave3.com/2020/08/13/chicken-wings-test-positive-coronavirus-china/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3826 on: August 13, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »

Chicken.....or Bat?  [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3827 on: August 25, 2020, 04:27:51 PM »
More chicken news in the Age of COVID

Kentucky Fried Chicken is pulling its famous “It’s Finger Lickin’ Good” slogan from its campaigns. The slogan, which has been around for 64 years, is said to be going away “for a little while.” The exact length of time it will be gone has not been revealed.

“We find ourselves in a unique situation—having an iconic slogan that doesn’t quite fit in the current environment,” Catherine Tan-Gillespie, global chief marketing officer, said in a statement released on KFC’s website. “While we are pausing the use of It’s Finger Lickin’ Good, rest assured the food craved by so many people around the world isn’t changing one bit.”

I feel so much safer already, don't you?

KFC pulls ‘finger lickin’ good’ slogan because of COVID-19
https://www.wave3.com/2020/08/24/kfc-pulls-finger-lickin-good-slogan-because-covid-/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3828 on: August 25, 2020, 04:29:58 PM »
They really think the COVID hysteria is going away at some point?  They should really gin up a different slogan as "Finger Lickin' Good" won't be coming back for years, if ever, especially if Biden wins in November.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3829 on: August 25, 2020, 05:29:40 PM »
I don't get all the fuss. :old:

The CDC says the masks won't keep you from getting the disease, but will keep you from spreading it. Obviously, the masks only work one way, so, wear it backwards!  :facepalm:  =D

Woody

"Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3830 on: August 27, 2020, 01:18:04 AM »
Internet Historian chronicles the kung flu.

https://youtu.be/P1FUMdHU29c
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3831 on: August 27, 2020, 07:02:14 AM »
"Finger Lickin' Good" won't be coming back for years, if ever, especially if Biden wins in November."

It will be replaced with "Hair Sniffin Good!"

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3832 on: August 27, 2020, 09:11:56 AM »
They really think the COVID hysteria is going away at some point?  They should really gin up a different slogan as "Finger Lickin' Good" won't be coming back for years, if ever, especially if Biden wins in November.
But if you wash your hands, what is the problem? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3833 on: August 27, 2020, 09:13:11 AM »
Is that a problem with the chicken wings or does that just mean their testing sucks?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3834 on: August 27, 2020, 10:33:58 AM »
Is that a problem with the chicken wings or does that just mean their testing sucks?

Yes, definitely.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3836 on: August 29, 2020, 02:43:58 PM »
Alright, I've about had it with trying to figure out mask etiquette.

I think I've mentioned before that when I shop in Oregon (where they are more into masks than my part of Idaho) pretty much everyone wears them in the Home Depot and nobody wears them in the Tractor Supply. While I was figuring this all out earlier on, I wore my mask into Tractor Supply a couple of times and was one of only a couple people (including employees) wearing one, and everyone looked at me like I had a hole in my head. So I stopped wearing one there.

Today, after I guess a three week break, I was back at Tractor Supply. I was the only person NOT wearing a mask and was getting looks from everyone.

Also, a couple of days ago I was at the Harbor Freight there, and since my last visit, they had put up a giant sign about "absolutely no entrance without a mask".  I went back to my truck and got a mask. When I walked in, everyone had a mask on except the employee greeting people, who turned out to be the manager.

I don't know if between visits, Oregon started some new regs or something, but I am getting sick and tired of trying to chase not only ever-changing regulations, but also public perception of such. There is not only no rhyme or reason in the almost randomly changing regulations but also no rhyme or reason to when people are pro/anti masks.

I try to just go with the flow for whatever private business I enter since it's their property, but please people, make up your minds.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3837 on: August 29, 2020, 02:46:39 PM »

I think I've mentioned before that when I shop in Oregon (where they are more into masks than my part of Idaho) pretty much everyone wears them in the Home Depot and nobody wears them in the Tractor Supply. While I was figuring this all out earlier on, I wore my mask into Tractor Supply a couple of times and was one of only a couple people (including employees) wearing one, and everyone looked at me like I had a hole in my head. So I stopped wearing one there.

Today, after I guess a three week break, I was back at Tractor Supply. I was the only person NOT wearing a mask and was getting looks from everyone.

Also, a couple of days ago I was at the Harbor Freight there, and since my last visit, they had put up a giant sign about "absolutely no entrance without a mask".  I went back to my truck and got a mask. When I walked in, everyone had a mask on except the employee greeting people, who turned out to be the manager.

I don't know if between visits, Oregon started some new regs or something, but I am getting sick and tired of trying to chase not only ever-changing regulations, but also public perception of such. There is not only no rhyme or reason in the almost randomly changing regulations but also no rhyme or reason to when people are pro/anti masks.

I try to just go with the flow for whatever private business I enter since it's their property, but please people, make up your minds.

It might be worth wearing a bandana that you can pull up like a western movie bank robber when you need one.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3838 on: August 29, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »
It might be worth wearing a bandana that you can pull up like a western movie bank robber when you need one.

I've started just keeping a folded up paper one in my back pocket to keep from having to walk back to my vehicle if  I ended up reading the store wrong.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3839 on: August 29, 2020, 02:54:28 PM »

Same issue.

I'm pretty sure the one commonality we all have after this year will be the stop and turn midway through the parking lot to get the damn mask that we left in the car.

I keep two in my purse, so usually I don't have to go back to my car unless I had left my purse in my car.

Maybe try keeping it in your back pocket?  =|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3840 on: August 29, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »
So I don't think we've discussed the "prepping" part of this thread for 100 pages or so. With many things being widely available again, have any of you made modifications to your prepping plans? Restocked stuff you ended up using? Adding new things? Changing quantities?

Talk seems to be revving up about Fall/Winter outbreaks as bad or worse than before. Whether that comes to pass in actuality, we know that thanks to the MSM, there will be a panic again regardless. I'll be curious to see what changes in "panic buying" occur, and if I have planned accordingly.

I rode through the lockdown with no real issues in my preps. I almost opened up some powdered milk and freeze dried potatoes, but both those ended up getting restocked in limited quantities just before I opened my supplies. After that (May maybe?), grocery stores were stocking enough of what I needed.

I didn't even go through 1/4 of my TP supply, and that is already restocked. I'm thinking there won't be as big an issue with TP if panic buying happens again. I think enough people panicked that enough people are sitting on enough of a supply that we don't hit that critical mass of hoarders outbuying supply. I did double my paper towel stores, since I actually almost ran out of those.

I did decide to increase my bottled water supply. Although as long as electricity flows, which is a high probability in a pandemic,  I can get RO water via my well, I figured it still wouldn't hurt to have a few extra cases of bottled water.

I've added extra soap and cleansers and alcohol and stuff, which I didn't have stocked in my preps prior to the virus. I just had enough of them around the house for day to day stuff, not shortage anticipation. I didn't have enough N95 masks, which I actually mostly use for various dusty jobs around the farm. I still haven't restocked them because prices are still too high. I sent most of those I had to my 93 year old dad, since masks make sense for him and his risk group.

I've stocked extra pet food.

I still need to get a small chest freezer and stock it with meat and veggies and stuff. I haven't checked lately, but they have been hard to find at reasonable prices. I need to start looking again and get one before Winter.

I need to increase my fuel stores some, and more importantly, keep the cans of gas and diesel and kerosene (for kerosene heaters) I have closer to full. The propane tank for the house just got topped off last week, but I should buy another 40lb cylinder to have on hand. I could still see a fuel shortage being a panic thing, even if it didn't happen last time.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3841 on: August 29, 2020, 08:04:45 PM »
I have more toilet paper than I did in January.  A couple of packs in the attic.   =)

I need to go hunting for alcohol and stuff like that.  I haven't looked for it since it was cleaned out for a while.  I had started buying a small amount of long shelf life food every month last year.  I am trying to continue that as funds are available.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3842 on: August 29, 2020, 09:57:28 PM »
Here's an interesting read on virus testing, and it's from the New York Times. http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/your-coronavirus-test-is-positive-maybe-it-shouldnt-be/ar-BB18uyA7?ocid=ientp
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3844 on: August 29, 2020, 10:36:58 PM »
Here's an interesting read on virus testing, and it's from the New York Times. http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/your-coronavirus-test-is-positive-maybe-it-shouldnt-be/ar-BB18uyA7?ocid=ientp

My wife tested positive, but everyone who had contact with her has tested negative. The only symptom she had was cough, but she was also working with someone that had bronchitis. My wife has had bronchitis a number of times in the past couple of years, and that's what she thought it was. I think she may have been right.

That article sounds right on to me.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3845 on: August 29, 2020, 10:56:59 PM »
This should help clear things up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwxdwxi_ayA

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3846 on: August 29, 2020, 11:28:08 PM »
Got it!    That sure cleared up numerous misperceptions I had.

Unfortunatly it  also gave me new ones.

:facepalm:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3847 on: August 29, 2020, 11:37:45 PM »

Interesting. I was in Tractor Supply yesterday. There was a large sign taped to the door, advising that everyone -- customers and staff -- must wear masks at all tims within the store. They had a "sanitation station" where customers who didn't have a mask could take one.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3848 on: August 30, 2020, 03:47:38 AM »
My wife tested positive, but everyone who had contact with her has tested negative. The only symptom she had was cough, but she was also working with someone that had bronchitis. My wife has had bronchitis a number of times in the past couple of years, and that's what she thought it was. I think she may have been right.

That article sounds right on to me.

I remember reading somewhere that the tests would also trip on other things too, not just COVID-19. Don't remember any other details than that.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3849 on: August 30, 2020, 08:21:44 AM »
Interesting. I was in Tractor Supply yesterday. There was a large sign taped to the door, advising that everyone -- customers and staff -- must wear masks at all tims within the store. They had a "sanitation station" where customers who didn't have a mask could take one.

Mine has had one of those signs since this started.