Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440485 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #3900 on: September 09, 2020, 05:28:26 AM »
The deaths per 100k head of population is in the last column.  So that’s just over 57 per hundred thousand in the USA, and just over 3 per hundred thousand in Australia

That's not what he asked, and I suspect you know it.

Australian population density:  8.28 people/ sq mi
US population density: 92.9 people/sq mi.

Australia's denseist populated city, Melbourne does have one small area (they call them SA2 in the official aussie site) that has 45,302 people/ sq mi, but that still trails Manhattan's 66,940 people/ sq mi.

And yes, population density has a lot to do with disease spread, as well as the efficacy of any social distancing.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:26:30 AM by dogmush »

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3901 on: September 09, 2020, 10:21:27 AM »
The deaths per 100k head of population is in the last column.  So that’s just over 57 per hundred thousand in the USA, and just over 3 per hundred thousand in Australia

"Deaths per hundred thousand" is not POPULATION DENSITY.   Population density  is x number of people per square mile.

EDIT:  Oooops, Dogmush and freakazoid beat me to the punch. ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3902 on: September 09, 2020, 12:41:04 PM »
Interesting dichotomy regarding the Sturgis rally.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/09/09/who-didnt-see-this-coming-reason-dismantles-study-the-msm-is-running-with-showing-the-sturgis-rally-may-have-caused-250000-new-coronavirus-cases/

Both the infection numbers and cost reported by the MSM were already eyebrow-raising. The actual reported infection numbers make them even more outrageous.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3903 on: September 09, 2020, 02:50:18 PM »
The liars continually call positive testing for anti-bodies "cases".

They are liars.

Cases IIRC, are technically active infections in people demonstrating symptoms.

Another CASE of BS numbers.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3904 on: September 09, 2020, 06:23:18 PM »
The liars continually call positive testing for anti-bodies "cases".

They are liars.

Cases IIRC, are technically active infections in people demonstrating symptoms.

Another CASE of BS numbers.

What is the motive for all the lies?  ???  (they are lies, I'm not questioning that, just wondering why)
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3905 on: September 09, 2020, 09:05:59 PM »
What is the motive for all the lies?  ???  (they are lies, I'm not questioning that, just wondering why)

No idea.

Usually you follow the money and that tells you something.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3906 on: September 09, 2020, 11:58:54 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3907 on: September 10, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »

To ratchet the fear level up to 11.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3908 on: September 17, 2020, 12:26:29 AM »
NYC restaurants can add 10% ‘COVID-19 Recovery Charge’ to customers’ bills
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/nyc-restaurants-covid-recovery-charge-bill-passed
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3909 on: September 17, 2020, 08:32:19 AM »
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/nyc-restaurants-covid-recovery-charge-bill-passed

That's an interesting way for government to slide in a tax increase to pay for government bumbling.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3911 on: September 17, 2020, 02:14:51 PM »
https://fox17.com/news/local/covid-19-emails-from-nashville-mayors-office-show-disturbing-revelation

How dare you question our motives! the science on COVID!  We are all at risk no matter where we go or what we do!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3912 on: September 17, 2020, 02:15:00 PM »
Here's what the dems are doing regarding COVID right now:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/09/17/house-dems-take-a-break-from-playing-games-with-covid19-relief-to-lead-the-charge-against-covid19-related-anti-asian-sentiment/

One of the best comments was asking what the dems plan on doing regarding anti-asian sentiment at Harvard, Yale, etc.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3913 on: September 17, 2020, 02:31:27 PM »
Quote from: WLJ
That's an interesting way for government to slide in a tax increase to pay for government bumbling.

I don't see it as a tax increase -- the money doesn't go to the city, and it's an optional "surcharge." My question is, if a restaurant has fixed costs (such as rent, utilities, payroll, etc.) and aren't allowed to fill as many seats, simple economics would suggest that they have to charge more for the meals they serve if they want to at least break even. Why do they need to government to tell them they can charge more? Does NYC have food price controls, like they have rent controls?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3914 on: September 17, 2020, 03:23:32 PM »

I don't see it as a tax increase -- the money doesn't go to the city, and it's an optional "surcharge." My question is, if a restaurant has fixed costs (such as rent, utilities, payroll, etc.) and aren't allowed to fill as many seats, simple economics would suggest that they have to charge more for the meals they serve if they want to at least break even. Why do they need to government to tell them they can charge more? Does NYC have food price controls, like they have rent controls?

I should have been clearer. You're right of course, that it's not a tax. I'm looking at it as a way for gov to get themselves out of trouble. The city/county implemented controls that pretty much put many places out or near out of business.

While I normally don't like to see people going to the gov with their hands out, in the case of covid, the gov caused a lot of business pain by mandate with an "or else!". I wouldn't be opposed to people seeking redress for that, even if it's my tax dollars paying for it. in this case, it seems the city has washed its hands of things and has now put the onus (and potential hate by customers) on restaurants regarding recouping costs incurred due to government edict.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3915 on: September 18, 2020, 01:45:50 PM »
Stop speaking English! It's for the children!

New research suggests that English speakers put more droplets into the air when they talk, which may make them more likely to spread COVID-19.https://t.co/VQokTMKNhT pic.twitter.com/TVeoCN0OkL

— Forbes Science (@ForbesScience) September 9, 2020
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/09/18/try-not-to-get-burned-when-handling-this-hot-take-about-why-speaking-english-may-spread-more-coronavirus-than-other-languages/

Why Speaking English May Spread More Coronavirus Than Other Languages
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisonescalante/2020/09/08/why-speaking-english-may-spread-more-coronavirus-than-other-languages/?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=social&utm_content=3664556426&utm_campaign=sprinklrForbesScience#3011d3c36eea
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #3917 on: September 18, 2020, 01:58:59 PM »
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3918 on: September 18, 2020, 02:18:35 PM »

HEY! Maybe if we all switch to one of the softer spoken languages, we wouldn't have to wear masks!!!  :facepalm:

Esperanto, anyone?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3919 on: September 18, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »
I guess they've never seen a mad Italian.

Or German
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3920 on: September 18, 2020, 03:03:37 PM »
Or German

I've been wondering for a while if there is a difference between languages that way. I'm glad somebody thought to research it. I know in Japan part of their COVID mitigation involves telling people to talk quietly indoors, which I haven't heard anywhere else.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3921 on: September 18, 2020, 04:44:36 PM »
Welp! Just tell us which words are bad so we won't use them!  :old:

Please don't give the statists ideas.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3922 on: September 19, 2020, 09:27:03 AM »
https://thefederalist.com/2020/09/19/flyover-folks-sideline-coronavirus-bureaucrats-to-enjoy-classic-car-show/

Precis: Boomer is accustomed to hosting semi-annual car shows. Boomer is swamped with super-helpful requirements for putting on said show in the Age of Kung Flu. Boomer decides it just ain't worth it, and gives up he doesn't have the resources to comply with such, so he skips the permit, and just does the car show as usual. Happiness ensues.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3923 on: September 22, 2020, 04:29:36 PM »
I'm hearing anecdotal evidence that fast food joints are actually making more money right now. Anyone else hearing this?

I guess it makes sense, as people aren't patronizing dine-in-only restaurants.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3924 on: September 22, 2020, 04:45:27 PM »
I'm hearing anecdotal evidence that fast food joints are actually making more money right now. Anyone else hearing this?

I guess it makes sense, as people aren't patronizing dine-in-only restaurants.

I can see that. I would patronize sit-down restaurants, but it's too much of a pain in the ass for me. Usually I will do a sit-down at lunch if I have to run into Boise for other stuff. Get my stuff done, then head downtown for lunch and a beer.  I made it a habit to try and rotate through and visit different places, but now you have to make freakin' reservations - even at lunch - instead of walking in.

I was even gonna do that last time I was in Boise, but pulling Yelp out before I left didn't show an available reservation until the next day. For lunch (maybe because of social distancing space). So I said "screw this" and just stopped at my local diner on my way home.

I also had new tires put on at Costco last week and was gonna just go to lunch while I waited for the tires. Once again pulled out Yelp, and only one (Dickey's BBQ) of a dozen locations in walking distance was open for dine-in. Everything else that is usually dine-in was take-out only.  Dickey's was empty except for me and one family.

With all that, fast food is the easiest option for me, other than eating at my three local places, which are all business as usual.