Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 439974 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4000 on: October 13, 2020, 04:08:07 PM »
Now that's social distancing.

Well...

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4002 on: October 13, 2020, 04:35:19 PM »
Well, we were in North Cackalacky, but I heard no banjos. 

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4003 on: October 13, 2020, 04:58:28 PM »
One part  :facepalm: One part  :rofl:

California officials ask citizens not to microwave their mail-in ballots to kill the coronavirus
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/10/13/california-officials-ask-citizens-not-to-microwave-their-mail-in-ballots-to-kill-the-coronavirus/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4004 on: October 13, 2020, 08:11:06 PM »

Sad.  =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4005 on: October 13, 2020, 08:13:40 PM »

No pretty mouths?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4006 on: October 14, 2020, 12:30:51 AM »
No pretty mouths?

There's no way in hell Ned Beaty read that script before taking the job.  That or he really needed the money.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4007 on: October 14, 2020, 07:38:34 AM »
There's no way in hell Ned Beaty read that script before taking the job.  That or he really needed the money.

He never lived that scene down
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4009 on: October 15, 2020, 07:09:22 AM »

European Coronavirus Cases Increase Despite Elites’ Insistence Their Lockdowns Would Work

Despite strict lockdown policies paraded as a model for other nations by political and social elites, Europe’s COVID-19 numbers are steadily increasing. Over the last seven days, the WHO reported that Europe has 709,968 new coronavirus cases, adding to the 7,039,257 people who are infected in total.

CDC Study Finds Overwhelming Majority Of People Getting Coronavirus Wore Masks

A study conducted in the United States in July found that when they compared 154 “case-patients,” who tested positive for COVID-19, to a control group of 160 participants from the same health care facility who were symptomatic but tested negative, over 70 percent of the case-patients were contaminated with the virus and fell ill despite “always” wearing a mask.

“In the 14 days before illness onset, 71% of case-patients and 74% of control participants reported always using cloth face coverings or other mask types when in public,” the report stated.

In addition, over 14 percent of the case-patients said they “often” wore a face covering and were still infected with the virus. The study also demonstrates that under 4 percent of the case-patients became sick with the virus even though they “never” wore a mask or face covering.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4010 on: October 15, 2020, 08:06:59 AM »
I liked the CDC response. We never said a mask would keep you from getting covid
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4011 on: October 15, 2020, 09:01:10 AM »
I liked the CDC response. We never said a mask would keep you from getting covid

Which it won't, if you don't wash your hands and also keep touching your face. Like to adjust your mask every two minutes, which I'm constantly seeing people do everywhere that people are required to wear masks.

There also seems to be some health professional pushback on the effectiveness of lockdowns:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/over-30000-health-experts-sign-declaration-against-covid-19-lockdowns_3537277.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4012 on: October 15, 2020, 09:04:17 AM »
Which it won't, if you don't wash your hands and also keep touching your face. Like to adjust your mask every two minutes, which I'm constantly seeing people do everywhere that people are required to wear masks.

I thought I read somewhere that the risk of infection from surfaces is extremely low.  Can't find the info now, though.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4013 on: October 15, 2020, 09:40:59 AM »
A few observations.
I have spent way, way more time in medical facilities this year than I like.
Starting in late February or early March there were screeners at the doors of the clinics I was going in to. Ask the questions, take.your temperature and hand out a mask. Hand sanitizer stations popped up everywhere and all the healthcare workers were wearing masks. That continued though April.

When I went back in for the 2nd surgery pretty much the same routine but.they added a Covid screening to the pre-op tests. The wife was allowed to wait for me in a waiting room.
When I went back to PT the same front door screening was in place and the PT staff were now required to wear "real" masks instead of the cute homemade ones they'd used earlier.

In August when my gallbladder committed mutiny they wouldnt let my wife wait with me at the ER. They said they'd call her and update her as soon as they knew something. They didn't. When I had the gallbladder removed she wasn't allowed to wait inside nor was she allowed to visit me the 2 nights I stayed in the hospital. She was pissed, I rested much better than if she'd been there.
When my daughter had her gallbladder attack a month later they let her husband wait with her in the ER and during surgery he was allowed to wait in the waiting room, same hospital.

Two weeks later at my Ortho Doc's office they were no longer screening at the door but you were still required to wear a mask. The receptionist at the Dr office took my temp.
Tuesday, a month since the last visit, at the Doc's office they were down to just "wear a mask".

I dont yet know if my wife will be able to wait inside when I have shoulder surgery 3.0 next week.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4014 on: October 15, 2020, 10:10:20 AM »
I have a doctor's appointment next week. They're doing the wear a mask at all times thing. Looks like they're also doing temperature screenings when you walk in the door.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4015 on: October 15, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »
Quote from: Fistful
CDC Study Finds Overwhelming Majority Of People Getting Coronavirus Wore Masks

A study conducted in the United States in July found that when they compared 154 “case-patients,” who tested positive for COVID-19, to a control group of 160 participants from the same health care facility who were symptomatic but tested negative, over 70 percent of the case-patients were contaminated with the virus and fell ill despite “always” wearing a mask.

“In the 14 days before illness onset, 71% of case-patients and 74% of control participants reported always using cloth face coverings or other mask types when in public,” the report stated.

In addition, over 14 percent of the case-patients said they “often” wore a face covering and were still infected with the virus. The study also demonstrates that under 4 percent of the case-patients became sick with the virus even though they “never” wore a mask or face covering.

This only proves that people aren't paying attention. The typical masks available to the general public are not intended to protect the wearer from exposure to the virus, they are meant to protect other people in the event the wearer has the virus.

I hate going to the supermarket or to the super Walmart because of the people who either don't wear a mask, or who pull it down to their chin as soon as they get into the store. Especially with the numbers rising again in my state (somewhat exponentially, but not parabolicly), I'm concerned about my exposure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #4016 on: October 15, 2020, 10:38:33 AM »
If you are concerned about your exposure, your best course of action is to not go out into public places.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4017 on: October 15, 2020, 10:44:36 AM »
I have a doctor's appointment next week. They're doing the wear a mask at all times thing. Looks like they're also doing temperature screenings when you walk in the door.

I had a physical in June, and IIRC, they took my temp before I walked in, and masks were required. I was in for a follow-up blood test in SEP, and it was masks only.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4018 on: October 15, 2020, 11:14:22 AM »

There also seems to be some health professional pushback on the effectiveness of lockdowns:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/over-30000-health-experts-sign-declaration-against-covid-19-lockdowns_3537277.html

People touch their face all the time without thinking about it.

A lot of questions regarding mask efficacy have to do with how effective they are at stopping covid19 bearing particles.  Many masks allow air to pass above and/or below,  and if that's the easiest route for it, that's what's going to happen.

:police: NEVERTHELESS,  WE MUST OBEY OUR OVERLORDS!!!!  MASKS!!! !!! NOW!!!!! :police:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #4019 on: October 15, 2020, 01:15:04 PM »
I had a physical in June, and IIRC, they took my temp before I walked in, and masks were required. I was in for a follow-up blood test in SEP, and it was masks only.

My LASIK doctor's office does the temperature and question check.  One of the questions asks if I have travelled outside of New England in the last two weeks.  I always answer "no" because that is easiest, but they know I'm a pilot. One of the staff said, "Oh, really? Doing all of your flying in New England now?"  She didn't care, but she did notice.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4020 on: October 16, 2020, 12:12:29 AM »

This only proves that people aren't paying attention. The typical masks available to the general public are not intended to protect the wearer from exposure to the virus, they are meant to protect other people in the event the wearer has the virus.

I hate going to the supermarket or to the super Walmart because of the people who either don't wear a mask, or who pull it down to their chin as soon as they get into the store. Especially with the numbers rising again in my state (somewhat exponentially, but not parabolicly), I'm concerned about my exposure.

Yet again,  your problem, not mine.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4021 on: October 16, 2020, 07:11:48 AM »
"but they know I'm a pilot."

You selfish bastard! Everyone knows that the Covids is thick at 30,000 feet and pressurization makes it even thicker! You're gonna kill us all!  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4022 on: October 16, 2020, 07:16:36 AM »
Looks like Europe is getting hit hard again.
France is even imposed curfews

https://www.wave3.com/2020/10/16/virologist-milan-surge-spreading-at-risk-populations/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4023 on: October 16, 2020, 09:06:38 AM »
In the meantime, a cousin in Germany just sent me an email with a youtube link from one of the political commentators there he likes to listen to, stating that the US will go on mandatory lockdown starting this weekend with full national guard mobilization.

He was worried and asked me what I knew about it. Of course I knew nothing because I've never heard of it.  I did some gazoogling and it apparently started as a fake Homeland Security memo related to the Stafford Act and disseminated on the stupid social media. I guess it's kinda like that game where you put 20 people in a line, whisper something in the first person's ear, and by the time it gets to the last person, it's a whole different thing.

I would link the video, but the Youtube English translation captioning is atrocious. Anyway, interesting example of how information can change from one part of the world to another.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/false-claims-of-nationwide-lockdown-for-covid-19/

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4024 on: October 16, 2020, 09:17:58 AM »
I'm not sure we could have a national lockdown at this stage, that might just trigger the boogaloo.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?