Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 440406 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #4025 on: October 16, 2020, 09:36:08 AM »
Looks like Europe is getting hit hard again.
France is even imposed curfews

https://www.wave3.com/2020/10/16/virologist-milan-surge-spreading-at-risk-populations/

I guess they didn't have enough faith in the Science.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4026 on: October 16, 2020, 09:39:42 AM »
I'm not sure we could have a national lockdown at this stage, that might just trigger the boogaloo.

Just to be clear, I don't believe there's some conspiracy the gov is trying to hide. It's an obvious conspiracy theory if you're from the US and not paranoid. I just thought it was interesting that without US cultural references, reasonable people elsewhere in the world might take it as something real. Makes you think about what you hear about stuff going on in other countries.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4027 on: October 16, 2020, 10:15:02 AM »
Why impose martial law or call in the troops when all the wealthy rulers have to do is scare the daylights out of everyone and declare a lockdown?

The use of force isn't even necessary.

All they have to do is say BOOO!

Fear man, FEAR!

Observing the folks here in the Chicago area I think many are taking a perverse pleasure in all this craziness. It's almost like a sizeable percentage enjoy the mandatory diktats and/or the imposing of procedures and protocols on everyone else.

It's like a competition on who can be the most zealous and obedient as a form of virtue signaling.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:18:50 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4028 on: October 16, 2020, 10:47:49 AM »
In the meantime, a cousin in Germany just sent me an email with a youtube link from one of the political commentators there he likes to listen to, stating that the US will go on mandatory lockdown starting this weekend with full national guard mobilization.

He was worried and asked me what I knew about it. Of course I knew nothing because I've never heard of it.  I did some gazoogling and it apparently started as a fake Homeland Security memo related to the Stafford Act and disseminated on the stupid social media. I guess it's kinda like that game where you put 20 people in a line, whisper something in the first person's ear, and by the time it gets to the last person, it's a whole different thing.

I would link the video, but the Youtube English translation captioning is atrocious. Anyway, interesting example of how information can change from one part of the world to another.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/false-claims-of-nationwide-lockdown-for-covid-19/

Linked article is from March.  How is it relevant now?  I'm not saying the country is going on lockdown,  enforced by the military,  but I don't understand the relevance of a seven month old article ......  ???
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4029 on: October 16, 2020, 10:57:49 AM »
Linked article is from March.  How is it relevant now?  I'm not saying the country is going on lockdown,  enforced by the military,  but I don't understand the relevance of a seven month old article ......  ???

The fake memo has been around that long. It keeps popping up with different revisions and dates. It's always 48-72 hours away. This last one happened to get disseminated in Germany.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4030 on: October 16, 2020, 01:42:36 PM »
The fake memo has been around that long. It keeps popping up with different revisions and dates. It's always 48-72 hours away. This last one happened to get disseminated in Germany.

I think I heard something like that several months ago.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #4031 on: October 16, 2020, 08:49:52 PM »
https://idahonews.com/news/offbeat/hormel-giving-away-bacon-scented-face-masks

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (WWMT) — 'Don't just eat Bacon— inhale it,' that was the message from Hormel Foods when the company, known for its Black Label Bacon, announced the launch of "Breathable Bacon."

Breathable Bacon is a face mask featuring the latest in pork-scented technology, with two-ply multi-fiber cloth to keep the delicious smell of bacon always wrapped around your nose and mouth.

Not a good idea, IMO.  Wearing the thing will just make me hungry.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4032 on: October 16, 2020, 08:55:26 PM »
https://idahonews.com/news/offbeat/hormel-giving-away-bacon-scented-face-masks

Not a good idea, IMO.  Wearing the thing will just make me hungry.

Not to mention attract every dog downwind of you
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4033 on: October 16, 2020, 09:01:55 PM »
"Where's your mask?"

"Couldn't help myself, I ate it"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4034 on: October 20, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4035 on: October 20, 2020, 03:58:56 PM »
Yes, Kathony, that's pretty much how freedom works. Was that supposed to be funny?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4036 on: October 20, 2020, 04:12:52 PM »
Yes, Kathony, that's pretty much how freedom works. Was that supposed to be funny?

It is all fun and games and Rugged Individualism until someone is puking their guts out.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4037 on: October 20, 2020, 04:23:29 PM »
It is all fun and games and Rugged Individualism until someone is puking their guts out.

You don't think we could find a way of certifying restaurants for cleanliness and proper food prep w/o the heavy hand of gooberment?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4038 on: October 20, 2020, 04:26:36 PM »
You don't think we could find a way of certifying restaurants for cleanliness and proper food prep w/o the heavy hand of gooberment?

If the early 1900s all the way to the present are any indication...

No.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4039 on: October 20, 2020, 04:38:47 PM »

I don't think we can rely upon the self-interests of business, nor the post-event sanction of litigation to adequately safeguard the interests of society as a whole in some areas. This, along with food and drug safety, is one of the best functions of government regulation in my view.  I like to re-read the Jungle every now and again to remind myself of that.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4040 on: October 20, 2020, 04:43:56 PM »
I don't think we can rely upon the self-interests of business, nor the post-event sanction of litigation to adequately safeguard the interests of society as a whole in some areas. This, along with food and drug safety, is one of the best functions of government regulation in my view.  I like to re-read the Jungle every now and again to remind myself of that.

You don't think a private entity could take over the function of inspecting restaurants and putting an A in the window? If getting that sticker was voluntary, people might actually look for it before they went in.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4041 on: October 20, 2020, 04:48:59 PM »
We can rely upon the self-interests of government?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4042 on: October 20, 2020, 05:48:59 PM »
Kathony is the bitch everybody regrets inviting over for Thanksgiving.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4043 on: October 20, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »
I don't know if these will have the force of law, but California is trying to regulate Thanksgiving out of existence this year.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/10/20/california-just-declared-war-on-thanksgiving-with-kafka-level-regulations/

Families who have a backyard can gather there; families who live in condos or apartments will have to look elsewhere. “We have been blessed with enough space to have it outside if that was what we wanted,” Helm said. “It probably isn’t realistic for the average resident of California.”

Even outside, the regulations also mandate at least six feet of distance between members of different households at all times, including when family members are sitting. So good luck passing the Thanksgiving turkey down the table, much less having a conversation with the people seated around you.

Speaking of Thanksgiving turkey, Newsom’s regulations require that “as much as possible, any food or beverages at outdoor gatherings must be in single-serve disposable containers.” And no serving your own plate — if food can’t be served in single portions, then someone wearing a face covering must be there to dole out servings.

Attendees should also put their face masks back on as soon as they finish eating. And make sure to keep your gathering short, even if it’s been months since you’ve seen your extended family. “Gatherings should be two hours or less,” Newsom’s rules stipulate.

These rules are so goofy, I expect most Californians will figure out that it makes more sense to keep their gatherings indoors, with the blinds shut.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4044 on: October 20, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »
Does he not want to get reelected?  Or maybe he has a secret agenda to turn Calif. republican?

These rules are so goofy, I expect most Californians will figure out that it makes more sense to keep their gatherings indoors, with the blinds shut.

Just make sure no one parks in front of the house, and they aren't seen sneaking into the house.  Don't need the neighbors calling in a violation.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4045 on: October 20, 2020, 11:10:35 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNmMCaJ016g
Why I Am Leaving California | The California EXODUS is REAL

He talks about some of these policies being why he is leaving.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4046 on: October 21, 2020, 02:37:48 AM »

Considering what I've seen of human nature in the course of seven and a half decades wandering around this mud ball we call home -- not an ice cube's chance in [bleep].
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4047 on: October 21, 2020, 08:18:51 AM »
This is the third recent local article I've read about hoarding potentially starting again, which will likely lead to "self-fulfilling news".  :laugh:

The good news, if the articles are to be believed, is that this round would be  bit more controlled, with people buying just a case of something instead of 20 cases, and that stores may have moved from the just in time model a bit on things that were snatched up last time, keeping extra stock of those items.

https://1043wowcountry.com/another-round-of-grocery-hoarding-could-hit-boise/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4048 on: October 21, 2020, 08:40:54 AM »
This is the third recent local article I've read about hoarding potentially starting again, which will likely lead to "self-fulfilling news".  :laugh:

The good news, if the articles are to be believed, is that this round would be  bit more controlled, with people buying just a case of something instead of 20 cases, and that stores may have moved from the just in time model a bit on things that were snatched up last time, keeping extra stock of those items.

https://1043wowcountry.com/another-round-of-grocery-hoarding-could-hit-boise/
More than likely the people who wanted 20 cases have acquired that since last spring.  I bet the people who just kept a few rolls in the house already changed their habits.  I imagine it is like the shooters who would go buy ammo before going to the range.  They realized they need to stock up a little. 

I would have thought the chance for post-election violence would motivate people more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4049 on: October 21, 2020, 08:46:45 AM »
CDC has tallied the excess deaths so far this year.  So far we are looking at approx. 299,000 excess deaths.  About 219,000 of those are "from"* COVID-19.  I know we had several discussions on here earlier about excess death counts and what that might say for the pandemic and fallout from the response to the pandemic.  The Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report doesn't go into a ton of detail, but there are cites, and discussions of how they got their numbers.

CDC Site is here: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6942e2.htm

PDF of the MMWR is here: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6942e2-H.pdf

*I know the designation of "death from COVID" is not the most reliable number, as the distinction between death FROM COVID and death WITH COVID isn't always the clearest, regardless those 219,000 folks are dead from something.