Author Topic: Cruise ship grandfather pleads guilty  (Read 1026 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Cruise ship grandfather pleads guilty
« on: February 26, 2020, 01:02:12 PM »
That grandfather who dropped his granddaughter out an open window because he said he didn't know it was open has decided to accept a guilty plea on a charge of negligent homicide rather than fight it out.

https://www.newser.com/story/287439/grandfather-will-plead-guilty-in-toddlers-cruise-ship-death.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_crime

Big deal. No hard time, probation served at home rather than in Puerto Rico. Basically no punishment, but hard time wouldn't bring the kid back so I suppose it doesn't matter. What cheeses me is that even in pleading guilty he doesn't accept responsibility. Now he says he didn't know the window was open because he's color blind. I very much doubt that he's color "blind"; more likely color weak and, since red-green weak is by far the most prevalent, that's probably what he has. I have severe red-green weakness, and I have no difficulty knowing when a window is open or closed.

I have sympathy for the parents, but none for the idiot grandfather. It must be incredibly hard for the mother, knowing that her father killed her daughter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Cruise ship grandfather pleads guilty
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 06:14:43 AM »
I suspect a large mete of justice was served the instant he realized the child had gone over.  I think the prosecutor side realized this.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 08:23:01 AM »
I suspect a large mete of justice was served the instant he realized the child had gone over.  I think the prosecutor side realized this.

Not enough justice, it seems, as the family is suing the cruise line.

Look, I realize they don't want to admit to themselves that grandpa killed his granddaughter, but it's his fault. It's sad and heartrending, but it's the truth. Grandpa messed up and a little girl is dead as a result.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 08:32:21 AM »
Look, I realize they don't want to admit to themselves that grandpa killed his granddaughter, but it's his fault. It's sad and heartrending, but it's the truth. Grandpa messed up and a little girl is dead as a result.

Agree. As I said when it first happened,  I think the finger pointing is practically an involuntary response by the brain to protect itself. This was a terrible tragedy due to some basic negligence. AFAIK, the grandfather truly didn't know the window was open. Had he known and still did this, I would have a different view. This was simply a "worst case" of someone not thinking, and he and his family are subconsciously looking for ways to divert blame.

He has to live with this the rest of his life, and personally, I think that's enough punishment in this case.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 08:58:17 AM »
I agree that accepting blame in your mind for something like that is very hard to do.  It is easy to cast around for someone else to blame. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 09:34:45 AM »
I agree that accepting blame in your mind for something like that is very hard to do.  It is easy to cast around for someone else to blame.  

And in my world, that 'someone else to blame' ideally has large insurance policies that can be tapped to pay for a settlement or verdict.  Since of course it is their fault.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 09:46:46 AM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 12:35:58 PM »
AFAIK, the grandfather truly didn't know the window was open. Had he known and still did this, I would have a different view. This was simply a "worst case" of someone not thinking, and he and his family are subconsciously looking for ways to divert blame.

Except that the earliest reports were that the grandfather was holding the little girl either in the open window or out through the open window (a la Michael Jackson and Blanket), and that he dropped her. The story quickly changed to "she fell," but I remember the original reports.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 12:38:02 PM »

Ben said,

He has to live with this the rest of his life, and personally, I think that's enough punishment in this case.

I'm glad you agree with me.

The suit by the parents against the cruise line is a different matter.

My problem is how they can sue the cruise line when the grandfather already admitted to being guilty of negligent homicide. Only thing I can figure is they're looking for an out of court settlement with the case closed and sealed by the judge and the parties agree to keep silent about the amounts, etc.  Automatic cutoff of any further negative publicity, doncha know, and probably less of a hit on the company's deep pockets.

Terry. 230RN

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 01:05:24 PM by 230RN »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 12:53:36 PM »
They are wearing these:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 01:19:22 PM »
Probation for negligent homicide - and he gets to go back home to "serve" his sentence.  :facepalm:

Essentially, kill a little kid - and walk. This wasn't a legitimate accident, he took his action with reckless disregard for the child. Saying "He feels pretty bad, so that's enough punishment" is so much bovine excrement.

I suppose if lesser charges like child endangerment or manslaughter had been in play then the "punishment" would have been a candy bar or ice cream cone.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain