Author Topic: Shooting in Milwaukee  (Read 3164 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Shooting in Milwaukee
« on: February 26, 2020, 07:10:33 PM »
Developing story.
The usual suspects are already calling for more gun control.

A shooting at the Molson Coors Beverage Co., in Milwaukee, Wis., has left "multiple people" dead, including the shooter, the mayor of the city said Wednesday.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that at least seven people are dead, including the suspected gunman, according to its sources. Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett said several people had died, but did not give a specific number.

'Critical' shooting incident at Molson Coors' Milwaukee facility; 'multiple' people killed, mayor says
https://www.foxnews.com/us/critical-incident-molson-coors-milwaukee-wisconsin
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: Shooting in Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »
Doesn't take long

Blue-checked journo takes break from covering Trump’s hotel to suggest that deadly shooting at Milwaukee MillerCoors facility might be poetic justice
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/02/26/blue-checked-journo-takes-break-from-covering-trumps-hotel-to-suggest-that-deadly-shooting-at-milwaukee-millercoors-facility-might-be-poetic-justice/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:11:35 PM »
So far
6 dead including the shooter
Reading he was fired eariler in the day
Also reading a suppressor was used.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 03:08:46 PM »

The shooter was armed with two handguns, one with a silencer, according to a police source. Silencers or suppressors are legal in 42 states, including Wisconsin. They must be registered with the federal government under the National Firearms Act. According to the latest report from the ATF, more than 29,333 are registered in the state.

Crime involving the devices is relatively rare, according to an often-cited study that said about 150 cases involving silencers were prosecuted in federal court from 1995 to 2004.

Will the Milwaukee Shooting Lead to a New Push for a Federal Silencer Ban?
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/will-the-milwaukee-shooting-lead-to-a-new-push-for-a-federal-silencer-ban/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/will-the-milwaukee-shooting-lead-to-a-new-push-for-a-federal-silencer-ban/

It figures, right after I send my first two suppressors to silencer jail. I guess I have to hope that Trump would forego signing anything before November, when hopefully both of them will be in my hands. I was actually looking at buying a third one, and now have to hope prices don't spike. Glad suppressor #2 is multi-caliber, so if something does go through, I'm not totally screwed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 04:09:30 PM »

Well since our conservative lord and savior already supports that....don't be shocked.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 04:25:31 PM »
Well since our conservative lord and savior already supports that....don't be shocked.

Sadly, I think he looks at them the same as bump stocks. If nothing else, sacrificial pawns in the gun control chess game. I really wish his sons would have a sit-down with him regarding hearing protection. Maybe mention how easy they are to get in many countries that otherwise have strict gun control. Maybe take him to the range and let him fire a suppressed 5.56 without wearing earpro.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 04:28:01 PM »
Sadly, I think he looks at them the same as bump stocks. If nothing else, sacrificial pawns in the gun control chess game. I really wish his sons would have a sit-down with him regarding hearing protection. Maybe mention how easy they are to get in many countries that otherwise have strict gun control. Maybe take him to the range and let him fire a suppressed 5.56 without wearing earpro.

I fully believe he is actually pro gun-control, and that because he thinks everything is a negotiation, that he can sell off bits of gun protections to get things he wants out of people.  I don't doubt he'd sell of suppressors in a heartbeat if he saw it as leverage.  His dishonesty with guns worries me more than a gun grabber.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 04:34:21 PM »
I blame Republicans too. We had a majority right after Trump got in, and a Hearing Protection Act ready to go, IIRC, before any "mass shootings" that year. Had it been pushed through right away, I have little doubt Trump would have signed it. After Las Vegas though,  I agree with you that it's remote that it will be passed even with a two house majority next year, because suppressors are now negotiation chips.

And with that, I might have just talked myself into a third suppressor to send to jail ASAP.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 07:00:51 PM »
We have rehashed the Hearing Protection Act and bump stocks many times.  No point in going through that again.  The only House leader I heard say good things about the Hearing Protection Act was Steve Scalise and he was out of commission for a while. 

I think it is highly unlikely we would see any laws passed to outlaw silencers.  Is there even a bill in committee to worry about?  I would be much more worried about action in the states.  That is where Bloomberg has been spreading big money around.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 08:39:52 PM »
I think it is highly unlikely we would see any laws passed to outlaw silencers.

I agree. The media will be focused on pandemic, not to mention grim reaper Mitch will kill any bill that might make it that far.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 08:50:13 PM »
I saw this comment on Twitter.  I thought some of you would like it.

"When you take a good hard look at who your lawmakers are, the argument for Anarchy seems a lot more reasonable."

=D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 09:32:22 PM »

I think it is highly unlikely we would see any laws passed to outlaw silencers.  Is there even a bill in committee to worry about?  I would be much more worried about action in the states.  That is where Bloomberg has been spreading big money around.  

I would just be worried about the possibility of an EO or something that makes acquiring them more difficult or more expensive.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 08:55:31 AM »
https://summit.news/2020/02/27/milwaukee-mass-shooter-is-a-black-elizabeth-warren-supporter/
Milwaukee Mass Shooter is a Black Elizabeth Warren Supporter

Not sure if this should matter but it probably does to the media.

https://www.cbs58.com/news/molson-coors-identifies-victims-gunman-in-mass-shooting
News story with the identities.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 09:06:55 AM »
https://summit.news/2020/02/27/milwaukee-mass-shooter-is-a-black-elizabeth-warren-supporter/
Milwaukee Mass Shooter is a Black Elizabeth Warren Supporter

Not sure if this should matter but it probably does to the media.

I was thinking the same thing. Hard to tell if the story isn't getting much traction because of that or the beer virus running the headlines. We have seen this lack of coverage from the usual MSM sources anytime a protected class commits a crime like this. 

I did notice that one MSM story called him a "gun collector". I'm pretty sure when it's an old white guy, it's "gun nut with an arsenal".

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 02:36:55 PM »
The real story is, Whitey doesn't want black children to know about the historic first black mass shooter in Milwaukee history. And they did this during Black History Month!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2020, 08:54:02 PM »
Shooter doesn't fit the narrative,  and down the memory hole this story goes.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2020, 10:36:30 PM »
Shooter doesn't fit the narrative,  and down the memory hole this story goes.

Yep. Buh bye!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 11:20:38 PM »
The kung flu probably helped it down the memory hole.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 08:57:08 AM »
The kung flu probably helped it down the memory hole.

Nope. Even without it, the press would have smothered this one with a pillow. Remember the "mass shooter" in Virginia Beach? That story disappeared quickly, and for the same reasons.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 11:27:46 AM »
The Milwaukee MSM is doing follow up stories and whatnot, but the frequency drop off is already visible.

Definitely having a hard time fitting the narrative. Black shooter, white victims (one Hispanic), .45 ACP handgun with low capacity, or a number of rounds expended that would have been possible even in a mag-ban state like CA or NY.

The silencer issue is spotty, so I'm wondering if it was either a "fuel filter" job he'd done himself, or a faux suppressor, because they're not reporting on it consistently or often.

And the one anti-gun fearmongering tidbit that does keep getting included is the mention of "his hobby was assembling firearms from ordered parts".
I promise not to duck.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 11:41:37 AM »
And the one anti-gun fearmongering tidbit that does keep getting included is the mention of "his hobby was assembling firearms from ordered parts".

Which very well could be nothing more than him ordering new grips for his 1911 off Amazon.
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 11:55:00 AM »
I heard an NPR reporter doing an interview when this first happened.  He asked the interviewee about the possibility of racism being involved.  As in, had the shooter been a victim of racism or racial slurs or something and that's why he did it.  I'm guessing this was not the case or else the media would have been trumpeting the "fact" that the perpetrator was actually a victim . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Pb

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 11:58:14 AM »
Workplace shooters tend to black, for some reason.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2020, 12:22:02 PM »
I heard an NPR reporter doing an interview when this first happened.  He asked the interviewee about the possibility of racism being involved.  As in, had the shooter been a victim of racism or racial slurs or something and that's why he did it.  I'm guessing this was not the case or else the media would have been trumpeting the "fact" that the perpetrator was actually a victim . . . .

He had been fired earlier that day. And there was some initial reports that slipped through that he had disputes with some of his coworkers in regards to work performance. If those victims were just targets of opportunity, or ones he'd been in conflict with, I don't know.

Other reports quoting neighbors say he'd been angry and paranoid after falling off a ladder, and making a workman's comp claim, and claiming there were "spies" in cars on his street watching him. (PI's verifying his injury?)
I promise not to duck.