Author Topic: Latest TDS Controversy - MD vs DO  (Read 1456 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Latest TDS Controversy - MD vs DO
« on: March 14, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »
So apparently the Surgeon General is a DO, not an MD, and the whackadoodles are somehow turning into Trump being inept. It appears that many, many MDs are correcting them on it.

I think it's funny, because you would almost expect libs to be pro DO, but I guess not if they're connected to Trump.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/03/14/most-ignorant-post-ever-george-conway-upset-that-the-white-house-physician-is-a-do-and-not-an-md/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Latest TDS Controversy - MD vs DO
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 08:43:11 PM »
TDS

Some of these people really just jump on anything they see as negative about Trump. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 06:54:31 AM »
My Mother, a surgical nurse, was a big fan of DOs. Went to osteopaths most of my childhood.

Now that my doctor has retired, I may switch back to an osteopath.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 09:26:44 AM »
TDS

Some of these people really just jump on anything they see as negative about Trump. 
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 09:30:17 AM »
My Mother, a surgical nurse, was a big fan of DOs. Went to osteopaths most of my childhood.

There seem to be more DOs than MDs here, and I've chosen a DO for myself. I actually like that particular medical philosophy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 11:24:20 AM »

Back in the day DOs could also do musculoskeletal manipulation. That seem to have fallen of of favor with a lot of the newer ones and they follow the MD role a lot closer. My wife used to see a DO and he would crack her neck and upper back, wouldn't do her lower back because she had a prior surgery, I doubt a Chiropractor would have been that conservative (I liked that about him). I personally like DOs and MDs pretty much equally, one is not better or worse than the other because of initials, it's more because an individual may suck but not because of the initials behind his name.

bob 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 09:19:41 PM »
"Back in the day DOs could also do musculoskeletal manipulation."

In 1993 I was in a pretty nasty car crash. Got rear ended. I hit the seat hard enough that I sheared off the seat back adjuster and had a really nice seat belt bruise from my shoulder down to my hip.

I got the first available appointment with the practice I was going to at the time; my MD couldn't see me, but his partner, a DO, could, and he took me through that several week recovery period, including doing a number of adjustment on my neck, back, and shoulder.

Matter of fact, he's still practicing. I'll be damned. Unfortunately it's not at all convenient for me to see him.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 11:41:51 AM »
Currently, I don't think there is much of a difference in practice. I've seen them work side by side in the ER and you wouldn't know who was who if you didn't read their ID cards. If you pass the USMLE, you pass the USMLE I guess  ???
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"