Author Topic: AR Scope Mounts?  (Read 502 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
AR Scope Mounts?
« on: March 25, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »
Thoughts on scope mounts for ARs?

I just bought another AR that I want to scope, rather than RD. For mounts, right now I'm looking at:

Primary Arms Deluxe
American Defense Recon-S Quick-Release
American Defense Recon Quick-Release Extended

The quick release mounts are quite a bit more than the PA deluxe. I'm not sure that I "need" quick release, but was thinking, "just so I have it".

My main question is on the standard vs extended. Pros and cons on that? Right now I'm looking at either the Primary Arms 1-6X ACSS Raptor or the 1-8X ACSS Raptor as the scope.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: AR Scope Mounts?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 10:06:30 AM »
I have never used the extended mounts.  Not sure exactly what you would need it for unless you have a location you want the scope and rails aren't there. 

The mounts I have used most recently are Midwest Industries mounts.  They are pretty solid and set up to co-witness with irons if needed.  The quick detach levers are adjustable.  They do have non-QD mounts that are a little cheaper. 

Primary arms usually has free or discounted mounts that come with the scopes.  Is that the ones you are looking at?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 10:35:16 AM »
Primary arms usually has free or discounted mounts that come with the scopes.  Is that the ones you are looking at?

Yes. The discounts aren't real big though, so I'm by no means tied to them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 10:40:18 AM »
It depends on what stock you have and how you shoulder the rifle. With a fixed A1 length stock I end up with my nose about 1/2-1" from the charging handle, and with most scopes, I need a mount that is slightly extended. This one is my favorite:

https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Aero-Precision-Ultralight-30mm-Scope-Mount-Extended-Black-APRA210500.htm

Aero also makes an SPR, that one is too far out IMO, and I have to pull my head back with the standard, even with it mounted all the way forward.

https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Aero-Precision-Ultralight-30mm-Scope-Mount-SPR-Anodized-Black-APRA210600.htm
https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Aero-Precision-Ultralight-30mm-Scope-Mount-Anodized-Black-APRA210200.htm
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 03:12:01 PM »
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Scope-Mount-30mm-p/mi-sm30g2.htm

I ordered this mount for a scope I got with some bonus money.  I guess it does have some off set. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 03:49:52 PM »
I have to get an extended, probably the aero one. Nikon 1-4x I like but to get it where it needed to be is one ring out on the hand guard rail. Completely not ideal but sighted ok temporarily.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 04:52:58 PM »
While not a quick-release, the Leupold Mark AR mount I got for SWMBO's AR was really nice. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB