Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55682 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #275 on: May 09, 2020, 07:52:27 PM »
I found out that the dad of a friend of spawn #1 has tested positive and the mom and 2 of 3 kids are showing symptoms.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #276 on: May 10, 2020, 08:04:52 AM »
Nearly two months into the poll.

2/3rds of us have no personal knowledge (in face to face world) of anyone even infected with wuflu. Generally folks know a guy who knows a guy or you know a guy online. This poll is about actually knowing the person. 

I haven't read through the thread again but there have been I think two or three deaths where cov-19 was if not the primary cause, was a complicating factor in someone passing.

With all the pressure to relax the lock downs I think it is safe to say our poll reflects what a large percentage of America is experiencing.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #277 on: May 10, 2020, 09:00:23 AM »
I know exactly one person that I know in person that had it- a coworker. He caught it from his GF. He never showed a symptom and his GF had only mild ones

This shutdown is retarded
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #278 on: May 10, 2020, 11:20:35 AM »
We've had a couple more people in our circles test positive. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #279 on: May 10, 2020, 07:28:52 PM »
I've been taking zinc and vitamin D as well as emergence C somewhat regularly.

There is anecdotal evidence that like all other corona viruses those vitamins and minerals help lesson symptoms if infected.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #280 on: May 11, 2020, 08:07:10 AM »
I've been taking zinc and vitamin D as well as emergence C somewhat regularly.

There is anecdotal evidence that like all other corona viruses those vitamins and minerals help lesson symptoms if infected.

If anything, covid should make it clear that being and staying healthy is worth it, and supplementation can play a big role in that.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #281 on: May 11, 2020, 10:47:02 AM »
Our Governor went to DC last week to meet with Trump and Pence, looks like she'll need to self quarantine under her executive order.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #282 on: May 12, 2020, 11:03:25 AM »
Trying to plan a funeral with all the guidlines and restrictions is a nightmare.

Wisconsin is supposed to "open" on May 26th. My father's funeral is scheduled tentatively for the 4th of June. The church says they will be open at 1/4 capacity, blocking off every other pew and spacing people apart. Which is a max attendance of 200 people. Trouble is that my Dad knew so many people, we have large families, and it was a sudden/unexpected death, and he was kind of young which drives attendance. We could get 250 to show up without really trying.

So now we're trying to figure out if we need to make it invitation only, or open it up to everyone. And hope that the usual pattern of people coming for visitation but not the service would spread them out and not force us to turn people away.

What's also tough is that different family is different types of "Covid believers". My mother is a "Flubro" (this is just another/extra flu season and we don't shut down the country over that, etc.) My wife is a "Doomer" (full on panic, believes the MSM narrative and hand-wringing 100%) My sister is a nurse, and she's a "Doomer" too, but more out of a better-safe-than-sorry level of practicality and caution and doesn't want to feel responsible if someone attending gets sick. I'm an agnostic, where I'm half Flubro, but recognize that maybe it would have been a Doomer scenario without the shutdowns. (Can't prove a negative, and my opinion is worth bupkis in the larger context anyway...)  But now as the oldest male/patriarch of the immediate family, people are kind of lobbying me to weigh in on what to do about the funeral.

My mother and sister are meeting with the parish priest on Thursday, and they love him to bits, so hopefully he'll just advise them something practical that's a decent compromise, and they'll accept that. I don't want to be in the middle.
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #283 on: May 12, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
Trying to plan a funeral with all the guidlines and restrictions is a nightmare.

Wisconsin is supposed to "open" on May 26th. My father's funeral is scheduled tentatively for the 4th of June. The church says they will be open at 1/4 capacity, blocking off every other pew and spacing people apart. Which is a max attendance of 200 people. Trouble is that my Dad knew so many people, we have large families, and it was a sudden/unexpected death, and he was kind of young which drives attendance. We could get 250 to show up without really trying.

So now we're trying to figure out if we need to make it invitation only, or open it up to everyone. And hope that the usual pattern of people coming for visitation but not the service would spread them out and not force us to turn people away.

What's also tough is that different family is different types of "Covid believers". My mother is a "Flubro" (this is just another/extra flu season and we don't shut down the country over that, etc.) My wife is a "Doomer" (full on panic, believes the MSM narrative and hand-wringing 100%) My sister is a nurse, and she's a "Doomer" too, but more out of a better-safe-than-sorry level of practicality and caution and doesn't want to feel responsible if someone attending gets sick. I'm an agnostic, where I'm half Flubro, but recognize that maybe it would have been a Doomer scenario without the shutdowns. (Can't prove a negative, and my opinion is worth bupkis in the larger context anyway...)  But now as the oldest male/patriarch of the immediate family, people are kind of lobbying me to weigh in on what to do about the funeral.

My mother and sister are meeting with the parish priest on Thursday, and they love him to bits, so hopefully he'll just advise them something practical that's a decent compromise, and they'll accept that. I don't want to be in the middle.

What about an outdoor ceremony?  Just trying to be practical.
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #284 on: May 12, 2020, 12:50:13 PM »
What about an outdoor ceremony?  Just trying to be practical.

Not a bad idea but it's probably a non-starter.

My mother and father are staunch Catholic, so it needs to be in the church. And he was cremated, so there's no burial/interment to do outside either.

And Wisconsin weather can't be counted on to cooperate either. 
I promise not to duck.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #285 on: June 09, 2020, 08:44:36 AM »
Found this thread 6 pages back. Apparently the impact of the virus never panned out to be as bad as the experts led us to believe it was going to be. They weren't just wrong they were wrong by orders of magnitude, multiple times.

That's not meant to downplay those that experienced personal impact to their health or health of a loved one. I don't want anyone to suffer, hence the reason I was much more circumspect early on and went along with the precautions and initially believed the lies coming from the lying experts.

Here is a link to just how wrong the experts were and how bogus the reported numbers really are, posted on Peter Hitchens blog.

https://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2020/05/a-library-of-useful-links-on-the-virus-panic-for-thinking-people.html

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #286 on: July 14, 2020, 05:11:54 PM »
I now have an uncle, and possibly aunt, with the disease. They are in the 60s or 70s, so I am concerned for them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #287 on: July 14, 2020, 11:47:10 PM »
Back on page 5 I mentioned that I got laid off. Just signed on to a new job today. Pay starts at 20% less than I was at, but top of the pay scale is much better, benefits are better, and 3 weeks vacation.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #288 on: July 15, 2020, 07:53:40 AM »
I missed that your Dad passed, AJ. My sympathies and condolences.

Bedlamite, that's excellent news! When do you start?

Hope your relations weather this, Fisty.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #289 on: July 15, 2020, 08:08:45 AM »
We had several coworkers out that tested positive or were determined by contact tracing to have been at potential risk of exposure.

Due to HIPPA nobody knows anything, who had it or who was quarantined. The staff determined who was impacted by their work absence. Apparently those impacted have been sworn to secrecy because everyone is back at work and it's still a big secret.

I guess being responsible for yourself and determining risks is no longer allowed. Just trust your authorities.

What a load of BS.

Hope your family members heal up quick fistful!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #290 on: July 15, 2020, 08:40:52 AM »
A nearby location of my company has had people get exposed who were then forced to stay home.  I don't think anyone has actually contracted it locally.  There are a 100 or 200 cases in my home town so it is around. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #291 on: July 15, 2020, 08:48:01 AM »
In the last 2 weeks, had friends and acquaintances test postive. Communication from them is most are showing signs and symptoms, very few asymptomatic. Also my county has gone from 41 cases before the 4th to close to 500 positive cases as of yesterday. All the corn is pollinating here due to favorable weather this spring and all being planted at the same time. So many people are walking around coughing and sneezing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:12:26 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #292 on: July 15, 2020, 09:05:30 AM »
My wife has a small business offering in-home chef service to the elderly.  Last Friday she cooked for a woman that then informed us on Monday that she had tested positive for covid.  We are self-quarantining for two weeks.  I've been working from home all along so nothing much will change for me.  She, on the other hand, will have a significant lack of income for the next two weeks.  She really doesn't do well being idle and I expect an emotional toll as well.

Her client that tested positive did not exhibit any symptoms when my wife was with her, and she couldn't really say why they tested her in the first place. 

It's early, but we both got tested yesterday at a county drive-up station.  She is scheduled for another test on Friday. 
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #293 on: July 15, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »
My wife spent over a week with almost no staff in the office. It was her and only two others. Seem several went to a coffee shop together after work one day and a smaller group went there for lunch the next. Then a worker there tested positive. Non of them got it.

Talked to an old friend on Saturday. He works for a company that builds packaging machines. He was doing a PM at the Waterloo plant two days before they shut down. He had already headed to Utah when he got sent home to quarantine. He said he was very sick for one day and then he was fine.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #294 on: July 25, 2020, 11:39:35 PM »
Found out a couple weeks ago that 3 employees from where I work are in quarantine; one couple (husband & wife - he has it, not sure about her) and one other worker whose hubby tested positive.

No names were given, but it wasn't hard to figure out who they were when management passed the word that "someone" tested positive.  Pisser was management lied to us, said none of us were exposed.  Bullshit.  The wife of the couple works in my department of 4 people, we've been in close proximity, talked, used the same (non-sterilized) equipment.  I'd talked with her husband and passed some (non-sterilized) equipment back & forth the day before he didn't show for work.

No symptoms here, so far.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #295 on: July 26, 2020, 08:16:12 AM »
Finally know someone who has the 'Rona.  Pilot friend of mine tested positive and did his 10 day "quaran-time."   The state health dept called him every day to check on hime and make sure he was being a good boy.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #296 on: July 26, 2020, 09:33:19 AM »
Finally know someone who has the 'Rona.  Pilot friend of mine tested positive and did his 10 day "quaran-time."   The state health dept called him every day to check on hime and make sure he was being a good boy.

Does he also live in New Hampshire? Out of curiosity, are they testing to verify recovery, or just going by a ten-day or two-week home stay and subsequent abatement of symptoms as constituting a presumptive recovery?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #297 on: July 26, 2020, 09:40:24 AM »
Yes, NH.

AFAIK, just the 10 day quaratine. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #298 on: July 26, 2020, 06:46:35 PM »
Ten days?  I thought it was two weeks.  I guess I'm off the hook for a probable exposure on 16 July. (Today: 26 July).

Been taking my temp with an IR temp gauge on forehead, ear, and under my chin.  Wlll keep on for a couple of days, though.  Normal:   94.5 +/- 1°F, varying slightly between positions, time of day, etc.

Right now: 94.0, 95.0, 94.0.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #299 on: July 26, 2020, 07:48:54 PM »
Ten days?  I thought it was two weeks.  I guess I'm off the hook for a probable exposure on 16 July. (Today: 26 July).

Been taking my temp with an IR temp gauge on forehead, ear, and under my chin.  Wlll keep on for a couple of days, though.  Normal:   94.5 +/- 1°F, varying slightly between positions, time of day, etc.

Right now: 94.0, 95.0, 94.0.

Terry

CDC now says 10 days is good enough.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/disposition-in-home-patients.html