Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55720 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #400 on: September 30, 2020, 09:14:02 PM »
I've never known the annual flue season to need emergency hospital wards for intubated patients, ditto the emergency morgue trailers and mass graves.  But, I will say in fairness, its because cost cutting measures took out any degree for more than expected patients/fatalities.  Hospital buyouts and mergers have shifted focus to profit driven non medically necessary treatments over actual capacity to deal with the sick and injured. 

Given the rampant incompetence from our government and media, I am so utterly glad this wasn't anything worse.  Given the response from my fellow citizens... well, I see how we got this government.  New York; just outside an epicenter.

I saw my buddy who is a x-ray tech Sunday.  They've gone from patients lining the walls of the hallway to a couple in the covid ward.  I trust what my local hospital workers tell me for how full/busy their hospitals are more than any website.  Sadly, that leaves me out of luck when I want a larger picture.  [tinfoil]

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/23/6/16-1417_article

Mechanical ventilators are essential for treating influenza patients in severe acute respiratory failure.

Any respiratory flu can cause respiratory failure.

New York infected a LOT of vulnerable people. And even so, had a surplus of ventilators.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #401 on: October 08, 2020, 09:25:46 AM »
Wife's sister has Covid.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #402 on: October 08, 2020, 09:55:15 AM »
"New York infected a LOT of vulnerable people. And even so, had a surplus of ventilators."

Well that was all Trump's fault, don't you know. Every one of those dead nursing home patients, infected by COVID patients forced into those homes by Gov. Cuomo's policies, is blood on the hands of Trump. TRUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #403 on: October 08, 2020, 02:03:52 PM »
As mentioned before, in some places, shortage of the respirators themselves was an issue.  In many many more places, shortage of respiratory therapists, critical care, and ICU nurses to manage the ventilators was more of an issue.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #404 on: October 08, 2020, 02:19:10 PM »
The ventilator issue was just politics.  No one ever needed the huge numbers that some people were claiming would be needed.  

It seems if you ever want to screw things ups, turning it into a political issue will do it.  Even if it isn't screwed up, it will be made to appear that way. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 21, 2020, 01:35:51 AM »
My mother-in-law tested positive for it and now my wife, who visited her just before this, like a day, even though masked and plastic between then them, has diarrhea and feels like carp. Calling the doc for a test for her tomorrow. If she tests positive, I'm headed to the VA hospital...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #406 on: October 21, 2020, 10:26:55 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Guess you were right: it can ALWAYS get worse!

(prayer sent)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 21, 2020, 11:05:06 PM »
It may just be a stomach bug. She's better this evening.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #408 on: October 22, 2020, 12:45:23 PM »
Friend's dad is being taken off life support, his kidneys have failed. He's been in ICU for at least three weeks after being hospitalized for Covid. I think he's in his lower 70s.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #409 on: October 22, 2020, 08:51:01 PM »
Friend's dad is being taken off life support, his kidneys have failed. He's been in ICU for at least three weeks after being hospitalized for Covid. I think he's in his lower 70s.

Not to be ghoulish, but did he have any other underlying issues? 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #410 on: October 22, 2020, 09:16:40 PM »
Not to be ghoulish, but did he have any other underlying issues? 

Maybe type 2 diabetic, that would about it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #411 on: October 22, 2020, 09:22:46 PM »
Maybe type 2 diabetic, that would about it.
As i recall, that one may be the biggest risk.

Very sorry for your friend.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #412 on: October 22, 2020, 09:46:56 PM »
As i recall, that one may be the biggest risk.

Very sorry for your friend.

He passed away at 8pm cst tonight. Going to be very rough for my friend, her parents are her everything. 

Uranus is a gas giant.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #413 on: October 22, 2020, 09:50:32 PM »
He passed away at 8pm cst tonight. Going to be very rough for my friend, her parents are her everything. 

That sucks,  condolences to your friend.

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 23, 2020, 12:44:21 AM »
Terri, my wife, gets her C-19 test tomorrow.
MOLON LABE!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #415 on: October 23, 2020, 08:37:04 AM »
Terri, my wife, gets her C-19 test tomorrow.

Prayers for both of you whenever I read your posts Speedy.

Charby, you must live in a real hotspot, a lot of your friends and family getting infected and having bad outcomes.

Thankfully, despite living in an early hotspot I've heard or known of very few people even testing positive, let alone having serious complications.

Just my one buddies father who had been in hospice care for nearly a year who passed away after taking his second fall. He tested positive but admittedly had a lot of things going bad at once.

The handful of other folks testing positive fought it off or had very mild symptoms thankfully.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 24, 2020, 01:55:19 AM »
We will know in 2 - 5 days. Free test at CVS. I got my Flu shot while we were there, it was free as well.
PS: Free as in no copay with medicare.
PPS: Didn't hurt a bit. I've had worse skeeter bites.
 :old:
MOLON LABE!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #417 on: October 24, 2020, 09:50:10 AM »
Prayers for both of you whenever I read your posts Speedy.

Charby, you must live in a real hotspot, a lot of your friends and family getting infected and having bad outcomes.

Thankfully, despite living in an early hotspot I've heard or known of very few people even testing positive, let alone having serious complications.

Just my one buddies father who had been in hospice care for nearly a year who passed away after taking his second fall. He tested positive but admittedly had a lot of things going bad at once.

The handful of other folks testing positive fought it off or had very mild symptoms thankfully.

Much of Iowa has been a hot spot since June.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #418 on: October 27, 2020, 10:22:39 PM »
High School friend has it, she's an elementary school teacher about seventy miles from my 20.

Her words:
Well....I kind of felt like it was inevitable....today my COVID test came back positive. I have, of course, the ODD symptoms - loss of smell/taste, a wild rash, and the typical symptoms - deep cough and congestion.  We are quarantined and resting. Praying the symptoms stay minor.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #419 on: October 28, 2020, 12:16:56 AM »
Another childhood friend's 19 year old son is positive,  he lives with her and his 6 year old asthmatic brother.

Uranus is a gas giant.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #420 on: October 28, 2020, 06:21:15 AM »
I went to the VA for my test today. 3 - 5 days for results. Terri was tested Saturday, 2 - 5 days for hers we are told.
MOLON LABE!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #421 on: October 28, 2020, 10:25:04 AM »
I went to the VA for my test today. 3 - 5 days for results. Terri was tested Saturday, 2 - 5 days for hers we are told.

You folks exhibiting any symptoms?

Be well!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #422 on: October 28, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »
Another member of the church we just joined has tested positive for COVID.  Everyone wears masks when entering and leaving the church, including this second person that tested positive.  Social distancing and other guidelines are observed at the church.  This coming Sunday's services have been cancelled.  This is the second cancellation since we started attending this church.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 28, 2020, 09:00:29 PM »
We have had some symptoms, diarrhea, taste issues (wife), sinus issues (more than normal), increased coughing (me), headaches (CONSTANT, BAD ones in my case), generally feeling "blah" and sleeping our lives away.
MOLON LABE!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #424 on: October 28, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »
We have had some symptoms, diarrhea, taste issues (wife), sinus issues (more than normal), increased coughing (me), headaches (CONSTANT, BAD ones in my case), generally feeling "blah" and sleeping our lives away.

Take Vitamin D3 of you can get it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?