Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55309 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »
Well, so far it's shut down 3 atc facilities.  1 (JFK) hasn't been shut down, which should be a scandal.

At this rate they will be manning the ATC facilities with people in quarantine just so they can keep them open. I mean, if you are already sick...… Maybe I should try for a leadership position with the FAA, I have tons of ideas. ;)

bob

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2020, 10:13:00 AM »
At this rate they will be manning the ATC facilities with people in quarantine just so they can keep them open. I mean, if you are already sick...… Maybe I should try for a leadership position with the FAA, I have tons of ideas. ;)

bob

:laugh:

The FAA, typical of government, is too feckless to make serious leadership decisions.  They just finally ordered all non-essential staff out yesterday.  Two days after the first ATCT went down. 
The only way to make this manageable is to order the airlines to reduce or halt non-cargo flights (yes, some airline flights also haul freight).  The only ATC service should be offered for Cargo, military, and medevacs.  All non essential ATC services should be terminated.  Take all facilities down to skeleton crews.
Major disruptions are happening because traffic hasn't decreased, and then a facility goes down by CDC order for cleaning and testing, and now everyone gets delayed because the air carriers are flying around empty planes.  Labcorp planes or fedex shouldn't be holding for an empty United flight.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2020, 10:37:55 AM »
The girl that shares my office is married to a Alaska Air pilot. His flights have been cancelled for today, he only had two vs his usual more. Traffic in and out of Vegas, Seattle, and other large facilities had dwindled to nothing. With Vegas (the city) shut down no need for flights going there.

bob

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2020, 11:37:00 AM »
The girl that shares my office is married to a Alaska Air pilot. His flights have been cancelled for today, he only had two vs his usual more. Traffic in and out of Vegas, Seattle, and other large facilities had dwindled to nothing. With Vegas (the city) shut down no need for flights going there.

bob

I thought Big Brother could remotely pilot commercial airliners . . . maybe they should get on that.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2020, 12:44:36 PM »
I thought Big Brother could remotely pilot commercial airliners . . . maybe they should get on that.

Not even close
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2020, 12:53:30 PM »
Couldn't quite figure out where to put this... I guess here is as good as any...

My Grandmother was born in 1906, and was 12-13 when the Spanish Influenza hit.

She talked about it occasionally. I wasn't really old enough to fully understand what she was saying, or its overall meaning, but the one thing I distinctly remember is her saying you could tell which houses had flu patients because the windows were wide open in the dead of winter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2020, 01:03:50 PM »
I was looking up racist sounding diseases yesterday and remembered the German Measles:

There was a pandemic of rubella between 1962 and 1965, starting in Europe and spreading to the United States.[46] In the years 1964–65, the United States had an estimated 12.5 million rubella cases. This led to 11,000 miscarriages or therapeutic abortions and 20,000 cases of congenital rubella syndrome. Of these, 2,100 died as neonates, 12,000 were deaf, 3,580 were blind, and 1,800 were intellectually disabled. In New York alone, CRS affected 1% of all births.[50][51]

I'm pretty sure I got the MMR shot when I was a kid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubella
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2020, 02:25:25 PM »
Couldn't quite figure out where to put this... I guess here is as good as any...

My Grandmother was born in 1906, and was 12-13 when the Spanish Influenza hit.

She talked about it occasionally. I wasn't really old enough to fully understand what she was saying, or its overall meaning, but the one thing I distinctly remember is her saying you could tell which houses had flu patients because the windows were wide open in the dead of winter.

What was the reasoning behind that?

Terry

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2020, 02:31:27 PM »
That was apparently one of the suggested treatments back then.

There's some evidence that such treatment might have been helpful.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4504358/

Here's another article with a very interesting picture.

https://www.docsteach.org/documents/document/window-open-influenza-poster-trolley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2020, 03:13:09 PM »
Shreveport, LA: Grocery shelves are EMPTY of staple items and TP. Went to the VA for Chemo today and had cops at the street entrance checking for a VA card and asking the required questions; nurse/staff at main entrance point us to the only 2 open entrances; Cop(s) and staff at bldg entrance checking the questions AND if you have an appointment, no appointment? No admittance! Not a patient? No entrance!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2020, 03:18:24 PM »
That was apparently one of the suggested treatments back then.

There's some evidence that such treatment might have been helpful.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4504358/

Here's another article with a very interesting picture.

https://www.docsteach.org/documents/document/window-open-influenza-poster-trolley

I remember my mom telling me the "open window / fresh air" response was common for all kinds of illnesses in Hungary and Germany - at least in the villages.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2020, 03:21:25 PM »
TMO (ThermoFisher Scientific) is holding pretty strong.
We are producing millions of Covid test kits for the foreseeable future.
Even before the world changed, it was a solid stock to own.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2020, 04:16:52 PM »
May have to change my vote soon.

One former coworker is very ill with a hacking cough and fever. Mind you, this is the same coworker who didn't think drinking tequila on an empty stomach would make her sick, so it's up in the air if she actually has corona virus or she just stuck her head in a smoking chimney for funnies and maybe has a raging bacteria infection since she doesn't seem to understand Hygiene (She notoriously smells FOUL on a daily basis)

The second is the she/he who replaced me. I've never actually met Jasper. She/he is self quarantined because two family members are sick. 
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2020, 04:40:08 PM »
My wife's preschool, which barely even takes snow days, has finally decided to close down for the next two weeks. She's getting paid, but then she has about 200 hrs of vacation time, so...

At work, we've taken a few steps to limit physical contact with customers. Turns out our customers aren't missing my hugs and kisses as much as I thought they would!

The church bus is a pretty important ministry for our church. We pick up dozens of kids whose parents won't darken our door-step. We also pick up a few people too poor or disabled to make their own way. We won't be making any pick-ups for a while (at least in theory). We've been live-streaming our services for a few months now, so that's all set up.

My wife was so worried about China-virus, she didn't even want to go to the store with me last night. Hopefully, being away from Negative Nelly at work will help with that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2020, 04:59:02 PM »
I'm in a Facebook group, full of mostly raging leftists.  (Gunsmith, it's your fault.)

Anyway, someone started a thread today with

has anyone had an ex reach out during this time? what did they say? did you respond? how did it make you feel? (i'm feeling hella nosy right now.)

OK, whatever.  A bit further down someone responds with:

Yes BUT Im also guilty of the same. I'm mid-relocation to an old Craigslist f***buddy's place because he's the only one able to host me since my housemate refuses to self isolate and stay out of common spaces despite me having two autoimmune disorders and her showing respiratory symptoms. Apparently my health wasn't voted on "democratically" and she's "a working mom" so she's allowed to use the house as she feels despite a pandemic. I don't think I've ever dealt with this much entitlement from another person before however I'm thankful a random I've hung out with maybe 4 or 5 times since 2015 is willing to open their home.

(He's in San Francisco, BTW.  Surprise!)

Oh.  My.  Goodness.  
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2020, 05:07:07 PM »
May have to change my vote soon.

One former coworker is very ill with a hacking cough and fever. Mind you, this is the same coworker who didn't think drinking tequila on an empty stomach would make her sick, so it's up in the air if she actually has corona virus or she just stuck her head in a smoking chimney for funnies and maybe has a raging bacteria infection since she doesn't seem to understand Hygiene (She notoriously smells FOUL on a daily basis)

The second is the she/he who replaced me. I've never actually met Jasper. She/he is self quarantined because two family members are sick. 

It doesn't help that it's still normal cold and flu season, and allergies are kicking up.  Definitely kicks up the paranoia factor!
JD

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2020, 08:40:29 PM »

Nah, they just control the chem trail release.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2020, 08:42:28 PM »
I was looking up racist sounding diseases yesterday and remembered the German Measles:

I'm pretty sure I got the MMR shot when I was a kid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubella

Mom took us to a measles "party". =|
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2020, 10:04:04 PM »
Here's a personal impact: my children were running through the house from each other shouting "She's the coronavirus!"

So my children have a new game out of this.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2020, 10:19:53 PM »
One guy at work (they aren't saying who) is "under investigation for Covid-19".

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2020, 11:09:55 PM »
One guy at work (they aren't saying who) is "under investigation for Covid-19".
The larger chemical plant that my company is in said they had a suspected case, but I heard today it was proven negative. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2020, 04:53:37 AM »
*expletive deleted*it *expletive deleted*it *expletive deleted*it.
It’s literally don the street from me. I go by this place almost every day to take the dog to the park. :mad:
https://www.tmj4.com/news/coronavirus/national-guard-medical-unit-dispatched-to-grafton-long-term-care-facility
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2020, 11:12:15 AM »
Just found out a lawyer I know if positive.  Good news, haven't seen him in a couple of months.  Bad news, he has some underlying health issues which could make it bad.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2020, 08:26:53 AM »
I haven't voted yet since the people I know with symptoms have not been able to get tested.
As of yesterday they were told that there still weren't enough tests and to be eligible you had to be a healthcare worker, in assisted living, or are hospitalized.
 :mad:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2020, 08:40:09 AM »
I haven't voted yet since the people I know with symptoms have not been able to get tested.
As of yesterday they were told that there still weren't enough tests and to be eligible you had to be a healthcare worker, in assisted living, or are hospitalized.
 :mad:
Technically that's s zero vote.

We can change our votes when our situations change.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.