Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55314 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »
Nothing so far. There have been cases that popped up in surrounding counties.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 02:49:06 PM »
I wonder how many people have had it and didn't realize it so they don't add to the numbers. I would also bet there are a number who have had it, did realize it, got through it, and don't want to publicize.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 02:53:13 PM »
My cousin tested positive in ATL yesterday.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2020, 03:13:09 PM »
I had a person post on one of my FB friend's page that she knew personally of 7 people who had it. Why? Because they were tested for Influenza and that came back negative so they MUST have Covid-19 even though they weren't tested for it.  :facepalm:

bob

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2020, 04:16:25 PM »
I had a person post on one of my FB friend's page that she knew personally of 7 people who had it. Why? Because they were tested for Influenza and that came back negative so they MUST have Covid-19 even though they weren't tested for it.  :facepalm:

bob

Are they self diagnosed celiacs as well?

Barack Obama

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2020, 09:02:27 PM »
How long has it actually been around?  First I heard of it was in the APS "China quarantines a whole city" thread*.

But back in late September, early October, I had about the worst "flu" I ever had about two-three weeks after I went to the ER for something.   Son2 had about the same thing soon after that, but we had not had actual contact beyond phone and e-mail.

Now I'm hearing it was apparently around before the Chinese quarantine.

Terry
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:15:23 PM by 230RN »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2020, 11:59:17 PM »
How long has it actually been around?  First I heard of it was in the APS "China quarantines a whole city" thread*.

But back in late September, early October, I had about the worst "flu" I ever had about two-three weeks after I went to the ER for something.   Son2 had about the same thing soon after that, but we had not had actual contact beyond phone and e-mail.

Now I'm hearing it was apparently around before the Chinese quarantine.

Terry

Similar story here.  I got hit a few days after an appointment with my endo.  Late January.  I think it was the worst I've ever felt in my life!  Wife got hit to a lower degree, but still pretty rough.  Son (who is only 35) got hit, but damn near shrugged it off like "regular flu".

Some observations that I have:
Lost my appetite entirely.  My favorite foods would turn my stomach and disgust me.  Smells were distorted. Nominally "good" smells smelled like rot and decay.
I'm type 2 diabetic.  The lost appetite was reflected in some exceptionally low glucose levels.  I took to carrying a secondary meter with me and testing multiple times a day.  Sometimes hourly.  Luckily, i could get glucose tablets down.  Bananas and orange juice were palatable, and helped after emergency sugar tablet therapy.  This all helped to sap my energy and strength.
Sleep was fitful. ( I did NOT misspell "sleep with Fistful"!  [barf] ) Had dreams like I had when I was on nicotine patches, but darker.  Almost hallucinogenic.  Concepts took physical form.  For example: I've been playing with making better coffee lately.  (Presses, Aeropress, 3 different pour-overs) I had this time when a non-defined coffee-making step was (in my mind) a fan belt with a pulley, that was also in some way tied to a stretch of road. All 3 of  these things were one. This happened during a period of lucid sleep.  It was... disturbing.
Sensitivity to light.  Mostly to white light. Went to work ( I know!  At this point I was just thinking a really bad case of "something".  Also, although I get 120 hours of sick time per year, I get punished for calling in sick.  Still took 4 days off, though.)  Anyway, as I walked through the parking lot at about 3:30 a.m., I saw that the 2 LED lamps at the employee entrance had apparently been upgraded.  They were SO damn bright!  It was like some dystopian Nazi camp movie.  I had to look off to the side and shield my eyes with my hand as I approached from well over 100 feet away.  When I got to the, I looked and they were the same lights that have been there for many years.

Tired of typing now.  Going to eat dinner and get some sleep.  Tomorrow is my Friday. Appetite is back.  I have self-adjusted my meds downwards considerably, and glucose levels are doing good now. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:20:31 AM by Doggy Daddy »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2020, 02:55:51 AM »
Interesting.  My Son2 (see above) is 46 and has frequent contact with medical places and personnel since he's type 1 diabetic. I'll ask him if he had weird dreams.  I did not, myself, that I recall, but some things do give me bizarre dreams.

Sleep was fitful. ( I did NOT misspell "sleep with Fistful"! )

Ha-ha-ha.  Cuttin' pretty close to the edge there, Mr. Daddy.

Terry

P.S. Caught it on the TV a while ago:  Commierado's Governor has ordered that all sit-down restaurants and bars will be closed for the duration.  I'm not going to question his authority on that one.  (Drive-throughs and store pickups are OK.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 03:16:54 AM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2020, 05:48:43 AM »

P.S. Caught it on the TV a while ago:  Commierado's Governor has ordered that all sit-down restaurants and bars will be closed for the duration.  I'm not going to question his authority on that one.  (Drive-throughs and store pickups are OK.)

Looks like every state has done that, or will. My state and all the surrounding states have done that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2020, 09:30:55 AM »
I work from home, so other than having the kids home from their high school, disruption has been minimal.  Thank God we got gigabit fiber at our house last fall. I don't notice any change to the work VPN when they're all on at the same time doing school work.

I did notice that performance sucks on some of my customer's remote access portals, probably from everyone working at home.

A mild-ish bug or bugs has been working it's way through our house for the past month. Nausea, GI cramps, chills. I've heard of atypical Covid presentations having similar symptoms, but I think it's all just "last gasp of winter" viruses. Half of my kid's school was out with it two weeks ago.

I'm personally worried about getting it because I have Type 2 diabetes, a BMI north of 30, high blood pressure, and now I've just seen an article suggesting that Type A blood is more susceptible to Covid. Other than being 47 instead of in my 60's plus, I feel as though I've got every risk factor going for a bad case besides smoking.  =|
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2020, 09:33:08 AM »
Someone my wife knows.  Her husband has it, and is in ICU.

Our family practice dr posted a rant about tests yesterday.  He's seen over a dozen people just himself, he's in a multi doctor practice, who meet the criteria for a test, but his practice has only 5 tests.  We're in a small town.  
Our union just released a statement. 1 at the DC HQ, one who was already on telework managed to catch it somehow, 1 at the flight service office in Chicago.  
Word is that Albany tower has several employees being tested.
Since we all work on shared workstations, it's only a matter of time before it spreads in an ATC facility.  The FAA is so far behind on sending people home.  It's been business as usual at work so far, and they're not even conducting their first telework test until wed to make sure the servers can handle it.
On top of that, all the side bullshit that goes on is still going on.  We had a parking lot security briefing Monday by an outside contractor. 
I'm pretty much expected to be at work even if I have co workers test positive.
The least the FAA could do is clear the *expletive deleted*ing building of people who aren't at the pointy end.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 09:34:11 AM »
I work from home, so other than having the kids home from their high school, disruption has been minimal.  Thank God we got gigabit fiber at our house last fall. I don't notice any change to the work VPN when they're all on at the same time doing school work.

I did notice that performance sucks on some of my customer's remote access portals, probably from everyone working at home.

A mild-ish bug or bugs has been working it's way through our house for the past month. Nausea, GI cramps, chills. I've heard of atypical Covid presentations having similar symptoms, but I think it's all just "last gasp of winter" viruses. Half of my kid's school was out with it two weeks ago.

I'm personally worried about getting it because I have Type 2 diabetes, a BMI north of 30, high blood pressure, and now I've just seen an article suggesting that Type A blood is more susceptible to Covid. Other than being 47 instead of in my 60's plus, I feel as though I've got every risk factor going for a bad case besides smoking.  =|

People forget it's still cold and flu season.  Plenty of bugs going around like normal to get sick from.

Our friend's husband who has it, he's in his 40's.  Overweight but I'm not sure what other risk factors he has.  He's in ICU.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2020, 09:47:03 AM »

Our family practice dr posted a rant about tests yesterday.  He's seen over a dozen people just himself, he's in a multi doctor practice, who meet the criteria for a test, but his practice has only 5 tests.  

Here in Seattle, we still have an acute shortage of test kits and swabs.  We could be testing thousands of people if we had the kits. LabCorp, a huge national laboratory chain, has just started offering tests, but they went through the existing stock in milliseconds, and are awaiting more kits. Lots of complaints on the local FB pages about clinics 'refusing to test people', and they just don't understand that until and unless the test kit spigot opens up, we have to apply the CDC/state health department criteria on testing. 

Priority right now is going to acutely ill people and healthcare workers.  We need to test the healthcare workers after exposure so we know if they can safely be returned to work.  Otherwise, our healthcare system will grind to a halt with all the physicians, nurses and respiratory therapists self-quarantining at home for two weeks. But if someone's test comes back negative after 48 hours, I can return that nurse to the floor.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 09:52:54 AM »
Here in Seattle, we still have an acute shortage of test kits and swabs.  We could be testing thousands of people if we had the kits. LabCorp, a huge national laboratory chain, has just started offering tests, but they went through the existing stock in milliseconds, and are awaiting more kits. Lots of complaints on the local FB pages about clinics 'refusing to test people', and they just don't understand that until and unless the test kit spigot opens up, we have to apply the CDC/state health department criteria on testing. 

Priority right now is going to acutely ill people and healthcare workers.  We need to test the healthcare workers after exposure so we know if they can safely be returned to work.  Otherwise, our healthcare system will grind to a halt with all the physicians, nurses and respiratory therapists self-quarantining at home for two weeks. But if someone's test comes back negative after 48 hours, I can return that nurse to the floor.

Much of the point I've been trying to get across to people.  We keep our health care system afloat by slowing this thing down. 
On top of sheer volume, if we're getting all the health care people sick, they won't be able to work, and the system will grind to a halt. 
JD

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 10:11:17 AM »
https://www.kuow.org/stories/hospital-workers

This is what is giving us the vapors right now, especially the ED physician from Evergreen. Evergreen has been ground zero of the hospital response, since all the LifeCare patients from Kirkland have gone there. With this physician using all the PPE, including a PAPR, how did he contract the virus?  What does this mean for ED and hospital staff in general? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 10:16:20 AM »
It sounds like there's going to be a decision on operations at my location coming out sometime today. No clue what it's going to be, how it's going to be implemented, whether it will be a full, partial, or no shut down...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 11:21:53 AM »
People forget it's still cold and flu season.  Plenty of bugs going around like normal to get sick from.

That's what I suspect I've got right now.   This season's "whatever's going 'round".  Still, work is a soup with 12-15 people in and out of a building a bit larger than a suburban ranch house, and I don't want to spread the cheer.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:20:09 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2020, 11:28:26 AM »
I'm personally worried about getting it because I have Type 2 diabetes, a BMI north of 30, high blood pressure, and now I've just seen an article suggesting that Type A blood is more susceptible to Covid. Other than being 47 instead of in my 60's plus, I feel as though I've got every risk factor going for a bad case besides smoking.

Everything is same for me except blood type...
On a positive note, Since kicking my STBX wife out of the house, I literally didn't eat anything for 2 weeks, and lost about 15 lbs. I've exercised like mad over the last few weeks, running on adrenaline, from the shock of going through a divorce to the euphoria of making a killing on the markets. I'm starting to normalize again though.

Every time I cough, or my throat feels itchy, or I have to blow my nose, I get a little on edge.

Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2020, 11:33:18 AM »
Not sure how much stock I put into this stuff but here it is

https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/coronavirus-your-blood-type-may-make-you-more-vulnerable-says-study-1.1584446718257
Beijing: People with blood group 'A' may be more prone to the new coronavirus (COVID-19) infection while those with blood type 'O' have a lower risk of contracting the deadly virus, a first-of-its-kind study claimed on Tuesday.

They found that blood type A patients showed a higher rate of infection and developed more severe symptoms.

Of 206 patients, 85 had type A blood - 63 per cent more than the infected 52 who had type O.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't O the most common type?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2020, 11:34:01 AM »
Oh boy, I'm AB+...

I wonder how badly that's going to screw me over...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2020, 11:36:39 AM »
In the United States, the average distribution of blood types is as follows:

O-positive: 38 percent.
    O-negative: 7 percent.
    A-positive: 34 percent.
    A-negative: 6 percent.
    B-positive: 9 percent.
    B-negative: 2 percent.
    AB-positive: 3 percent.
    AB-negative: 1 percent.

May 2, 2018
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=blood+type+percentages
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2020, 11:40:42 AM »
It may have helped if I had read further in the study link

According to a study in the US National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), 'O' is the most common blood group (37.12 per cent) in India, closely followed by B at 32.26 per cent, followed by A at 22.88 per cent while AB was the least prevalent group at 7.74 per cent.

In the US, about 44 per cent of the population is type O, while about 41 per cent is type A.
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends

Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2020, 11:48:11 AM »
I was just looking for that, thanks

Looks like China is ~48% O (+&-) vs ~28% A
- Calvin and Hobbes

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2020, 12:29:47 PM »
My new PCP was more concerned about the fact that I didn't have a flu shot and gave me a vaccine for pneumonia. Her only comment to me about Corvid-19 was "Don't get it."

I am high risk. A study came out of Europe showed that patients with adrenal insufficiency are even more screwed than other immunosuppressed patients. *shrug* But then again, the regular flu can screw me over too.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds