Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55328 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #225 on: April 05, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »
Feeling well enough for some light yard work... man, being sick these few weeks has wrecked me.  I think I'm just about wholly through it tho.  I took the longest to recover in the house. 

A local 20 some year old died today from it; county average is currently a half dozen a day.  Local hospitals have had a few insider videos leak of their hellscapes. 

Glad you’re coming over the bump man.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #226 on: April 06, 2020, 04:00:29 AM »
Friend works at UPS and he said one of their supervisors died from C19. Said he was in perfect health, age 55.
Does this count?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #227 on: April 06, 2020, 07:26:33 AM »
But but, it's an old people virus!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: April 06, 2020, 07:40:21 AM »
But but, it's an old people virus!
Well ... it kind of is.  The older you are, the more likely you are to die from it.  That doesn't make the young invulnerable to it, but age and gender are huge factors in its lethality.  This is No Virus for Old Men.

Looking at some state data, the 80+ cohort makes up less than 10% of the cases but almost 40% of the deaths.  The curve is very clear.  By comparison, the 50-59 cohort makes up about 20% of the cases but less than 10% of the deaths.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #229 on: April 06, 2020, 08:18:30 AM »
Friend works at UPS and he said one of their supervisors died from C19. Said he was in perfect health, age 55.
Does this count?

Technically, if it is a trusted friend you know personally who has first hand knowledge, yes, there is an option for that scenerio.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #230 on: April 06, 2020, 08:26:36 AM »
Well ... it kind of is.  The older you are, the more likely you are to die from it.  That doesn't make the young invulnerable to it, but age and gender are huge factors in its lethality.  This is No Virus for Old Men.

Looking at some state data, the 80+ cohort makes up less than 10% of the cases but almost 40% of the deaths.  The curve is very clear.  By comparison, the 50-59 cohort makes up about 20% of the cases but less than 10% of the deaths.

From the beginning of this whole affair trying to suss out the personal risk has been nearly impossible.

That left me looking at it as a potentially very dangerous unknown.

That's why I've approached it in the spirit of the precautionary principle.

Our media not only sucks but they truly are an enemy of the people.

Having said that, you go to war with the media you got.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #231 on: April 06, 2020, 06:00:15 PM »
Well ... it kind of is.  The older you are, the more likely you are to die from it.  That doesn't make the young invulnerable to it, but age and gender are huge factors in its lethality.  This is No Virus for Old Men.

Looking at some state data, the 80+ cohort makes up less than 10% of the cases but almost 40% of the deaths.  The curve is very clear.  By comparison, the 50-59 cohort makes up about 20% of the cases but less than 10% of the deaths.

Reports from US hospitals sound like younger people (40’s and up) aren’t doing hot with it it either.  Obesity has emerged as another “comorbidity” factor.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #232 on: April 06, 2020, 08:06:32 PM »
And either due to my doing yard work today or telling folks I'm through it; fever flared up and I'm coughing again. 

Come on turn it off and on again fix all of going to sleep.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #233 on: April 06, 2020, 10:03:59 PM »
Get better man.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #234 on: April 07, 2020, 02:12:54 PM »
Get well quickly, Ned.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #235 on: April 07, 2020, 02:36:58 PM »
And either due to my doing yard work today or telling folks I'm through it; fever flared up and I'm coughing again. 

Come on turn it off and on again fix all of going to sleep.

Go slow man.  A lot of people reported feeling better right before onset of heavy symptoms again.  You're going to really want a couple days of rest after you recover I bet.
JD

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #236 on: April 08, 2020, 10:12:33 AM »
Took John Prine yesterday.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #237 on: April 08, 2020, 10:27:55 AM »
One pilot and one flight attendant from my company have died, but I didn't know either of them.

So far, I don't know anyone infected with C19.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2020, 11:59:49 AM »
Coworker got it. He is asymptomatic, was tested because his GF popped positive for it. After popping positive for it the local hospital system cleared him to come back to work (WTF right) but company made him stay home for 14 days.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2020, 12:53:45 PM »
I just found out our annual raises were postponed.  Small issue considering I am healthy and getting paid and a lot of people are not.  At present, our total sales are a little low.  I am not sure if that is due to the oil/gas market being hit by lower prices or turn down on the general economy.  

Edit:  this may not be happening or only happening to corporate office people who are full time at home now.  I think some field managers objected.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:47:58 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2020, 01:10:45 PM »
Took John Prine yesterday.

I was going to post that, but wasn't sure it belonged here cuz I didn't know him personally.  I hope they gave his knees to the needy, he woulda wanted that  :'(
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #242 on: April 08, 2020, 07:44:30 PM »
My cousin's wife was on a vent for six days.  She was 57, in pretty good health.  Damn virus took her today.  She was a sweet lady, with a preference for fixed stock AR-15s, revolvers, and big dogs.  She loved Christmas enough to do it twice a year.  She was a good military wife when my cousin flew for the Navy.  Her laugh was infectious, and that's what I'll hold on to.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #243 on: April 08, 2020, 09:07:28 PM »
Sorry to hear that man. Not sure what lie to say.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: April 09, 2020, 07:58:05 AM »
My cousin and her husband in NYC got it.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #245 on: April 14, 2020, 07:54:33 PM »
Not a Covid infection, but due to Covid quarantine. Friend's husband had surgery today to do a biopsy of a lump on his lung, they kept him under anesthesia while they did the biopsy. Ended up removing the whole lump, he's in ICU right now and will get to wake up with a doctor telling him he has lung cancer. Gets to spend at least 7 days in the hospital. Can't have any visitors, so he gets to be given the news without any family present. Dr is communicating by phone to my friend and will she be told options of treatment when they review everything. :(

Please stay home so this passes so our loved ones don't need to experience these things alone.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:54:07 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #246 on: April 14, 2020, 08:39:38 PM »
A coworker got home Friday to find out his wife had a fever.  Just found out today that she tested negative for COVID-19.  Good news for them. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #247 on: April 15, 2020, 08:13:25 AM »
Ned please check in man.
JD

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #248 on: April 15, 2020, 09:23:59 AM »
Ned please check in man.

Last active April 14, 2020, 10:44:47 AM
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #249 on: April 15, 2020, 06:26:32 PM »
I've got lingering weakness that has me a tad paranoid; mild fever and intermittent light cough.  But otherwise whole house is doing well.  A short drive from my house is the literal largest concentration of covid in the world and my facebook has a bunch of fools calling it all a hoax.  Like there aren't current mass graves.  One of these geniuses I know actually got it himself and was hospitalized for two weeks; mid late 20s.  And is currently back on Facebook reposting nonsense. 

I'm on Season 7 of Stargate SG1 and thinking I may have to take a break and go binge watch Silicon Valley while HBO has it up for free. 

Teleconference board game scheduled for Friday. 

Just; sheltering in place.  Slowly going mad as its warm enough for the weeds to grow but too cold to work outside.  And I'm too weak for any goodly effort anyways.  May be for the best as last time we had some warm weather and I was feeling better, I worked myself back to bed ridden in a single day.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.