Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55597 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #300 on: July 26, 2020, 08:09:32 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #301 on: July 26, 2020, 08:24:54 PM »
I changed my vote in the poll, as now I know two people that have caught it. The kid of a coworker (her boyfriend will probably be positive soon) got it and got over it last week. Was pretty unpleasant for a couple days, by her report.

One of the workers at the barber shop I go to got it three weeks ago.  He died last week.  He was 27, no comorbidities.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #302 on: July 26, 2020, 08:44:48 PM »
I changed my vote in the poll, as now I know two people that have caught it. The kid of a coworker (her boyfriend will probably be positive soon) got it and got over it last week. Was pretty unpleasant for a couple days, by her report.

One of the workers at the barber shop I go to got it three weeks ago.  He died last week.  He was 27, no comorbidities.

The more accurate statement would probably be "no known comorbidities".

Considering the fatality rate is well under 1% it is probably safe to assume he was more susceptible to complications than the norm.

There just doesn't seem to be a clear way forward where nobody dies from the infection.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #303 on: July 26, 2020, 09:40:35 PM »
Or,  you could take my word on the fact that the guy I've seen and talked to every two weeks since he was 18 didn't have any of the known comorbidities for COVID-19, and drew the short straw on percentages. And you could shut the *expletive deleted*ck up on random assumptions.

That's a route we could take as well.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #304 on: July 26, 2020, 09:44:14 PM »

Sounds like *expletive deleted*it luck, and the numbers just bit him specifically.

Condolences man.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #305 on: July 26, 2020, 10:33:40 PM »
Or,  you could take my word on the fact that the guy I've seen and talked to every two weeks since he was 18 didn't have any of the known comorbidities for COVID-19, and drew the short straw on percentages. And you could shut the *expletive deleted*ck up on random assumptions.

That's a route we could take as well.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, in all truthfulness. I realize now my post wasn't a very compassionate response to a loss of a friend.

That doesn't change the reality of the situation though.

You accuse me of random assumptions?

Most folks in his age group, most age groups actually, fight it off by overwhelming percentages.

He succumbed because there is a underlying reason, ie probably an unknown comorbidity.

My point was simply we don't know why some very small percentage of people are more susceptible to more severe responses to this virus.

The nonstop covid propaganda has made me sensitive to the political fear mongering and manipulation.

Making it a point to be sensitive to the actual human toll it is taking on those who are actually susceptible, as well as their friends and family will be something I'll work on. 

I'll take that route but still kindly will refuse your suggestion to shut the *expletive deleted*ck up.

Honestly, I do wish there was a clear way forward where nobody dies from the infection.

Quarantining the whole country and larp'ing clean room procedures in public spaces is not a scientific response, it's an emotional response.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 10:49:21 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #306 on: July 29, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »
Personal impact.

Customer in the county courthouse just called.   30 miles away, next county over. We can't deliver the server and rack tomorrow as we were scheduled to do.  They're not letting anyone in the building until sometime next week.  Something Covid.

Being Deathplague2020! related, I call the head lady at the county health department (also a customer of mine that I'm on a first name basis with, dept. not housed in this courthouse).  She was just in the courthouse, didn't know anything.

Meanwhile, the local leftist agitator on the BookFace posts this: "We are following a developing story about some dramatic spikes in COVID cases around NW Illinois. Check us out this evening for more details."

So, who knows.  Status maps I'm seeing make me think it's baloney.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 05:30:12 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #307 on: July 31, 2020, 09:31:24 AM »
A family friend got Covid.  She seems to be recovering ok.

An elderly former coworker got it also. He is in the hospital and doing very badly.

Those are the only two I know of personally.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: July 31, 2020, 09:39:18 AM »
Several coworkers have tested positive.  So far none have had particularly bad experiences.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #309 on: July 31, 2020, 09:41:25 AM »
Other than the earlier one case no one else in 600 person company has gotten it

Most of our people, especially the mechanics are not people persons so they don’t like to go out and mingle with the public. Most everybody would rather be at home or doing something alone.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #310 on: July 31, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »

Most of our people, especially the mechanics are not people persons so they don’t like to go out and mingle with the public. Most everybody would rather be at home or doing something alone.

This is also why APS members will survive and become warlords of the post-virus apocalypse world.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #311 on: July 31, 2020, 11:14:53 AM »
My wife's client that had tested positive two weeks ago is now fully recovered.  The woman is in her 80s.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #312 on: July 31, 2020, 11:34:05 AM »
I've had to update my vote to someone through a source I know personally. My sister has a co-worker who has tested positive.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #313 on: July 31, 2020, 12:08:21 PM »
Don't recall if I posted this here.

Co-worker, female mid 60's was out for a couple weeks with Covid. She's been back for awhile now.

Co-workers brother (out of state) had it and recovered.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #314 on: August 01, 2020, 11:36:42 PM »
Ten days?  I thought it was two weeks.  I guess I'm off the hook for a probable exposure on 16 July. (Today: 26 July).

Been taking my temp with an IR temp gauge on forehead, ear, and under my chin.  Wlll keep on for a couple of days, though.  Normal:   94.5 +/- 1°F, varying slightly between positions, time of day, etc.

Right now: 94.0, 95.0, 94.0.

Terry

So wouldn't you know it, now I see ads for them for taking temps.

Right now 93.5, 95.0, 94.5 from a Harbor Freight Centech IR Thermometer, $17-$18 or something like that.

See, I'm not looking for accuracy in terms of the readings grouping around the proverbial "98.6,"  but for trends rising above these normal readings using this method.  It's easy enough to just add 3.6 to my readings, thus, 97.1, 98.6, and 98.1 if you want to.

ETA Actual reading from an HTG digital under-the-tongue medical thermometer (Walgreen's) is 98.4°F.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:48:30 AM by 230RN »

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #315 on: August 01, 2020, 11:50:37 PM »
I saw all 3 of the employees yesterday.  The young lady with the new baby's back at work, the couple were shopping.  Wasn't able to talk with any of them, but none looked any worse than before.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #316 on: August 03, 2020, 11:25:09 AM »
Close friend, his brother, his mother (late 60's) and father (early 70's) all tested positive.

They are all employed in the assisted living industry, as a side note.

His father became very sick, after two days he was admitted to the hospital. He spent two more nights under observation and was discharged as his condition was greatly improved.

My friend thought he was having a bad spell with his allergies/asthma, his mother and brother were asymptomatic.

They are in the desert SW not here in Illinois.  

This was particularly scary for them because three of the four have comorbities that could cause complications.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #317 on: August 03, 2020, 01:27:29 PM »
I never heard any details about my uncle, but he seems to have recovered. Sounds like it was a pretty mild case. Maybe it helped that he got it at a revival meeting.  :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #318 on: August 04, 2020, 04:01:05 PM »
A family friend got Covid.  She seems to be recovering ok.

An elderly former coworker got it also. He is in the hospital and doing very badly.

Those are the only two I know of personally.

My cooworker in the hospital has died.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #319 on: August 04, 2020, 10:43:12 PM »
My cooworker in the hospital has died.

Sorry to hear that. Glad he (apparently) didn't pass it on to you.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #320 on: August 06, 2020, 06:53:20 PM »
After all this time I have to change my vote. A friend in town tested positive last Saturday. A couple rough days now he is fine but still in quarantine.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #321 on: August 12, 2020, 09:38:40 AM »
I added a couple more yesterday.

My Cousin's kid (who is more like my niece relationship wise) texted and said her grandparents (Cousin's ex-husband's parents) both tested positive last week, and while her grandmother seems to be OK, her Grandfather was sent home yesterday on hospice.  He's expected to pass this week.

I've met them both at various family functions, but they were both old, with several comorbidities each, and engaged in relatively high risk activities with no PPE (Church and social events after church even after other members of the congregation tested positive, a vacation to Daytona, stuff like that.)  They also live in a county with a pretty high per capita COVID rate.  So while I feel bad for the family, I do kinda have to ask what they thought was going to happen? 

In closer to home news, one of the guys that works with me has been on Annual Training with his reserve unit, and one of the other folks on AT with him tested positive after showing symptoms.  Both I and HR are waiting on my coworkers test results.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #322 on: August 12, 2020, 09:53:16 AM »
The family friend with covid I mentioned earlier recovered.  She said it wasn't as bad as the flu for her, fortunately.  She also was in a high risk group.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #323 on: August 14, 2020, 02:18:28 PM »
My wife has COVID for a few days now. So far, it's basically a headache and feeling a little tired. If it weren't for losing sense of taste, we wouldn't even have thought to get tested. She never had even the slightest fever, so all the temperature checks are seeming pretty pointless.

I'm sure it's worse for some people, and I do feel bad for those people (my dad's [diabetic+on chemo+80yo] neighbor died from it). And there's probably different strains going around. But I'm definitely way deep in the "We did a shutdown...for this?" territory. If you have to get a test basically to know you even have it, that's pretty tame. I do have to wonder how she possibly got it...we haven't been going out, and we wear a mask 100% when we do. So I have to admit it must be pretty contagious. My current theory is that I caught it in TX a month ago, but had no/minimal symptoms, then gave it to her 2 weeks later, and she's just now feeling it a month after I got back from TX. But that would mean I already got it myself, and I was never sick enough to write home about either.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #324 on: August 16, 2020, 04:43:01 PM »
My law buddy's cousin had their wife and her mom die; took them both in under a week.  He is bunkering up with his wife and kid.  He full on closed his law office; fired his secretary, and is only working via telecommuting. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.