Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 55324 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #325 on: August 16, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »
My law buddy's cousin had their wife and her mom die; took them both in under a week.  He is bunkering up with his wife and kid.  He full on closed his law office; fired his secretary, and is only working via telecommuting. 

Just a little confused on the relationships there. The wife and mother-in-law of the cousin died, and your law buddy is the one doing the "bunkering"?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #326 on: August 17, 2020, 09:07:44 AM »
Just a little confused on the relationships there. The wife and mother-in-law of the cousin died, and your law buddy is the one doing the "bunkering"?

It doesn't matter, just be afraid.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #327 on: August 17, 2020, 03:02:30 PM »
My wife had a coworker with bronchitis, and my wife has had that a number of times. So she started coughing, and went to the urgent care and was treated accordingly. That was Friday. Monday, they let her know she was positive for Wuhan. So I'm at home, pending the outcome of my own test.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #328 on: August 17, 2020, 04:14:18 PM »
My wife had a coworker with bronchitis, and my wife has had that a number of times. So she started coughing, and went to the urgent care and was treated accordingly. That was Friday. Monday, they let her know she was positive for Wuhan. So I'm at home, pending the outcome of my own test.  ;/

Sorry to hear that, hope your wife battles it off with no complications!

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #329 on: August 17, 2020, 05:37:27 PM »
The wife and mother-in-law of the cousin died, and your law buddy is the one doing the "bunkering"?

Yup

Just found out my wife's aunt got it (Shopright cashier). She just felt poorly for about a week. If not for antibody test she wouldn't have known she had it. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #330 on: August 17, 2020, 05:53:20 PM »
Were they in a high risk category?

Thankfully my buddy and his family seem to have weathered the infection well despite checking off some of the high risk boxes.

Some are still speculating that there might be an unknown genetic component to being susceptible to a poor response to infection.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #331 on: August 18, 2020, 10:19:25 AM »
Were they in a high risk category?

Nope; which is why my buddy is so damn frightened. 

I see it as just effecting the odds.  Have some other things going on, much higher risk; but not a certainty.  All sorts of healthy, low odds, but not zero.  And the big kicker is that its not death or full health; getting over it can leave folks with chronic ailments and other bits of organ damage. 

I've certainly heard of those mice never exposed to any illnesses; healthiest mice in the bubble; death if they ever leave it.  There are real high level questions for policy and like all serious issues, rather than real discussions and facts, we get political gamesmanship and shameless lies.  My own county went into a regional agreement, setting objective milestones for phases of reopening.  Than without explanation, and certainly not apology, just ignored it when the numbers didn't match their plans a few weeks later.  And of course moved businesses in and out of categories as seeming political whim.  And then there's the issue of selective enforcement.  And rather than rage against the machine; folks are spitting on and assaulting Walmart cashiers.  I know everyone is highly stressed, but I see it more bringing out the worst in people.  Bullying the poor bastard cashier who will be fired if they even raise their voice in response. 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #332 on: August 18, 2020, 10:43:02 AM »
Quote from: Ned
And rather than rage against the machine; folks are spitting on and assaulting Walmart cashiers.  I know everyone is highly stressed, but I see it more bringing out the worst in people.  Bullying the poor bastard cashier who will be fired if they even raise their voice in response.

Have any of those people actually been prosecuted?  I know a few have been arrested, but then they disappear from the news.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #333 on: August 18, 2020, 11:06:06 AM »
I've certainly heard of those mice never exposed to any illnesses; healthiest mice in the bubble; death if they ever leave it.  There are real high level questions for policy and like all serious issues, rather than real discussions and facts, we get political gamesmanship and shameless lies.  My own county went into a regional agreement, setting objective milestones for phases of reopening.  Than without explanation, and certainly not apology, just ignored it when the numbers didn't match their plans a few weeks later.  And of course moved businesses in and out of categories as seeming political whim.  And then there's the issue of selective enforcement.  And rather than rage against the machine; folks are spitting on and assaulting Walmart cashiers.  I know everyone is highly stressed, but I see it more bringing out the worst in people.  Bullying the poor bastard cashier who will be fired if they even raise their voice in response.  

I'm working 40 plus hours a week in a retail environment. We are in a mandatory mask state and the company I work for is super aggressive about employee/customer safety. Probably to the point of overkill where we have protocols that fall into the realm of diminishing returns.

Plenty of costumers are annoyed, irritated and abuse the staff about mandates and protocols they have nothing to do with implementing.

Generally I try and use a form of soft persuasion in getting customers to wear their mask, asking them to give management and staff a break, it's not our call. Usually that works.

I'm not overly concerned myself but I have teammates that are living in daily fear and terror of Covid -19. No amount of putting things in context seems to help them. They are stuck on 11 when it comes to neuroticism. So many folks are complaining about eye and throat irritation that we switched to a new antiviral sanitizer, away from Virex. The whole building was getting doused in Virex and alcohol to the extreme.

The truth is it is a corona virus and it will spread despite masks, gloves, lockdowns, no lockdowns etc. Half of what we are doing is just the analogue to the security theater of TSA ie "at least we're doing something", regardless if it has any impact on outcomes.  

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #334 on: August 19, 2020, 10:45:05 PM »
I was at my dentist today, whose office was closed for 3 months.  It was a bit of a madhouse as they are clearly trying to catch up and also keep patients. 

My hygienist told me how she has a covid denier husband and that her sister works as a physical therapist in Manhattan.  Apparently the sister was moved to a ward for covid recovery where she spends most of her time with folks in their late 30s who have had their lungs so devastated by the illness walking short distances is a major obstacle.  When not calling it all fake, apparently her husband says such folks are genetically weak.  I get the feeling if he wasn't her husband, he would have been dropped as a boyfriend at this point.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #335 on: August 19, 2020, 10:48:29 PM »
I was at my dentist today, whose office was closed for 3 months.  It was a bit of a madhouse as they are clearly trying to catch up and also keep patients. 

My hygienist told me how she has a covid denier husband and that her sister works as a physical therapist in Manhattan.  Apparently the sister was moved to a ward for covid recovery where she spends most of her time with folks in their late 30s who have had their lungs so devastated by the illness walking short distances is a major obstacle.  When not calling it all fake, apparently her husband says such folks are genetically weak.  I get the feeling if he wasn't her husband, he would have been dropped as a boyfriend at this point.

covid denier LOL

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #336 on: September 02, 2020, 02:44:10 PM »
Welp, looks like my nephew in Iowa is on a Corona vector. His Dad texted me that he's been quarantined after starting to feel poorly yesterday, and he's feeling worse today.

He was tested, but is waiting for the results to come back.

He just started his new job as a flight instructor at University of Dubuque last week and took a student up Monday.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #337 on: September 02, 2020, 02:57:26 PM »
Friend of mine got something that really kicked his butt for a few days. Took a week to feel normal.

He refused, refuses to get tested even now after he is back to feeling good.

He figures he had it and doesn't care to "go on any lists".

I told him to just get tested and he just laughed at me.

This what happens when folks stop trusting their institutions.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #338 on: September 03, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »
Just talked to my friend. My nephew D (not really a nephew, as I'm not related to his Dad, but I'm closer to him than I am to my own brother, so whatever) shares a house with 4 other guys. And, one of them came back as positive, but asymptomatic (and another roommate is also ill) so it's looking like the Kung Flu has landed.

I texted with D last night and he was not feeling great at all. Poor kid.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #339 on: September 03, 2020, 12:59:51 PM »
A member of the church we just started attending has tested positive for the beer virus.  Everyone wears masks when entering and leaving the church, including the person that tested positive.  Social distancing and other beer virus guidelines are observed at the church.  This coming Sunday's services have been cancelled.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #340 on: September 03, 2020, 01:05:50 PM »
^^^Hopefully the church choir is on hold right now; singing in groups in close proximity to each other is a 'superspreader' event.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #341 on: September 03, 2020, 01:21:42 PM »
^^^Hopefully the church choir is on hold right now; singing in groups in close proximity to each other is a 'superspreader' event.

But chanting, singing, screaming, etc., at a protest rally is not a superspreader event.

Check.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #342 on: September 03, 2020, 01:24:04 PM »

There has been no choir.  Services are being held in the church gymnasium which facilitates social distancing.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #343 on: September 13, 2020, 10:25:21 AM »
Friends and friend's families are starting be positive. One friend was admitted to the hospital while is wife is at home with it. Another friend's dad has been hospitalized for the lat 2 weeks from covid. Other friends have had it milder others fairly severe. Seems like a couple friends everyday make a post on Facebook that they are positive.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #344 on: September 13, 2020, 05:04:53 PM »
My paralegal has informed me his girlfriend has it. Thankfully, she lives 4 hours away from him in a non disclosed location, so no direct contact.   I bite me tongue a lot around him. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #345 on: September 13, 2020, 07:47:02 PM »
My paralegal has informed me his girlfriend has it. Thankfully, she lives 4 hours away from him in a non disclosed location, so no direct contact.   I bite me tongue a lot around him. 
She goes to another school. You wouldn’t know her.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #346 on: September 13, 2020, 08:05:34 PM »
Isn't he in NH? So four hours would easily put hrr in Canada.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #347 on: September 13, 2020, 08:11:46 PM »
Updated my vote: 1 coworker who recovered fully and the college-aged son of another.  The son’s only symptom was a stuffy nose.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #348 on: September 14, 2020, 07:11:01 AM »
My nephew is back at work, apparently. He said he felt bad for a couple of days, and then his sense of smell was totally messed up for a bit, but now he's feeling right as rain.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #349 on: September 14, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »
Wanted to wait until this was over before posting. This last two weeks sucked hard.

On 9-2, I started running a 101 fever, was dizzy, and had a killer headache. by 9-4 it was getting hard to breathe normally. Got the nasal test done on 9-4, it came back negative on 9-7, on 9-8 my fever broke, but I could hardly breathe, blood 02 was steady about 92%, doc said stay home unless it goes below 90%. Couldn't walk from the living room to the kitchen without taking a break and the lung cookies were impressive. By this weekend I was getting better. Still something not right in my lungs, doc says it may take a month or two to recover fully. Lost about 15 lbs.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?