Author Topic: DeBlasio wants to nationalize "crucial" industries  (Read 3234 times)

sumpnz

• friend

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: DeBlasio wants to nationalize "crucial" industries
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 09:47:05 PM »
Venezuela, the land of plenty, agrees
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 09:47:38 PM »
And after de Blasio blamed the shortcomings of the federal government for the decreased supply of testing kits and ventilators, he called for the federal government to nationalize "crucial factories and industries."

Wait, what? The .gov screwed up so lets put them in charge of everything? Not just no, but HELL NO!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 10:42:47 PM »
"Ayn, line one, please."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 11:28:17 PM »
"Ayn, line one, please."

No, you got that all wrong. "Pinochet, helipad one please."
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 11:45:45 PM »
Isn't DeBlasio the guy who said there's plenty of money around to do what he wants, the only problem was that the wrong people had i?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 12:26:12 AM »
The more crucial the industry, the more it needs to be destroyed by government control. For you, the people.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 08:50:20 AM »
Isn't DeBlasio the guy who said there's plenty of money around to do what he wants, the only problem was that the wrong people had i?

Hitler said something similar
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 09:03:30 AM »
But the point I'm saying is the federal government should recognize this is literally a crucial part of stopping this," said de Blasio, while later adding that all factories developing certain medical supplies should be on "24/7 shifts."
I have never tried to work a 24/7 shift.  That might get tough after 24 or 36 hours.

Which is the problem with Govt taking over industries.  Arrogant people like DeBlasio think they can always do it and run it better than you. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 10:38:59 AM »
Gotta get that San Sebastian Rail Line first.  That one's super critical.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 11:55:44 AM »
I have never tried to work a 24/7 shift.  That might get tough after 24 or 36 hours.

Which is the problem with Govt taking over industries.  Arrogant people like DeBlasio think they can always do it and run it better than you. 

I worked a thirty hour shift once, promptly went out drinking in a foreign land afterwards.
AKA Navy Joe   

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 12:56:20 PM »
But the point I'm saying is the federal government should recognize this is literally a crucial part of stopping this," said de Blasio, while later adding that all factories developing certain medical supplies should be on "24/7 shifts."

He's saying there's a physical cross somewhere that can stop the plague? Interesting.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 02:06:28 PM »
The root of "crucial" derives from "crux."  While crux is indeed used in Latin when referring to a cross/crucifix in Christian teachings, the root derivation of "crucial" comes from "instantia crucis," indicating a fork/intersection in the road or a point at which a committed decision decides the direction of travel or progress.

I think his "literal crucial part" is the decision to nationalize or not.

As for nationalizing "crucial" industries... probably a more appropriate term would be "critical" rather than "crucial."  Though a nexus/hub business that feeds into many facets of coronavirus treatment could be considered "crucial" in the literal sense.  Perhaps.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 02:24:04 PM »
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/de-blasio-says-federal-government-should-take-ownership-of-crucial-factories-and-industries-to-combat-coronavirus

Apparently expropriation of private industries boosts supply during crises.  Who knew?

Screw him!
.Gov absolutely failed. The best they could do is get out of the way of private industry.
Private industry has really stepped in and is our only hope for battling this virus.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 02:46:50 PM »
I can think of one time when the Gov. seized control of a privately held company...

During WW I Smith & Wesson took on huge contracts from both the Allied forces prior to 1917, and later the US military.

Only, they had very frustrating problems being able to fulfill their obligations under the contract.

After repeated warnings for non-performance, the government seized S&W and ran it until just after the end of the War in 1918. Successfully, too.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 04:02:05 PM »
After repeated warnings for non-performance, the government seized S&W and ran it until just after the end of the War in 1918. Successfully, too.

This was an era when the government was generally populated with capable people. (And, for that matter, so was most of society.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 04:05:02 PM »

I worked a thirty hour shift once, promptly went out drinking in a foreign land afterwards.

Been there, done that.  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 04:14:35 PM »
Gotta get that San Sebastian Rail Line first.  That one's super critical.

and when we would see the lights of New York go out, we would know that our job was done.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 07:17:20 PM »

Ha ha ha...was that when we met up at Hogfish Bar on Stock Island/KW for lunch a few years ago?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 07:28:54 PM »

I worked a 40 hour shift once.  Back in my early 30's.  No way in hell I could do that now, it takes a full day of recuperation after a 40 hour week.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 11:46:53 PM »
DeBlasio is a moron, but even so it's pretty obvious to me he was talking about companies running round the clock; 2 or 3 shifts.  Not 24 hours shifts.  He just worded it poorly.
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 12:16:54 AM »
Ha ha ha...was that when we met up at Hogfish Bar on Stock Island/KW for lunch a few years ago?

No, I was drinking in Turkey. Let me tell you how one beer and a cigar sit on an empty sleep deprived stomach in 90 deg heat. Dude looked at me and asked if I was okay. I responded in the negative and immediately leaned over from my chair, puked in the hedge and continued drinking. For many hours.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 09:03:46 AM »
I guess he doesn't want to nationalize gyms. He's getting pounded from across the political spectrum for going to his gym while telling everyone else not to. His reason? "So I can lead". Apparently not by example. He appears to have never heard of pushups, jumping jacks, running outside, or yoga.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 09:12:39 AM »
I guess he doesn't want to nationalize gyms. He's getting pounded from across the political spectrum for going to his gym while telling everyone else not to. His reason? "So I can lead". Apparently not by example. He appears to have never heard of pushups, jumping jacks, running outside, or yoga.

Wouldn't his personal security detail violate that "no gatherings larger than 50 people" rule?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2020, 09:27:31 AM »
Wouldn't his personal security detail violate that "no gatherings larger than 50 people" rule?

And they have guns
- Calvin and Hobbes