Author Topic: COVID19 predictions  (Read 43020 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: COVID19 predictions
« Reply #400 on: May 19, 2020, 09:10:09 AM »
CDC numbers just over 60k deaths surpassing my earlier uneducated guess. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Of course the reported numbers are dung.

The media are reporting over 80k deaths pretty regularly now so with a fudge factor of 20k and actual reported cases being based upon criteria that is tantamount to lying we really don't know squat.

Amazingly, at least regarding deaths, in the USA even using bogus numbers, the "it's a bad flu" crowd are currently closer to the truth than the "experts".

You may now go back to your regularly scheduled programmed fear and panic.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #401 on: May 19, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »
CDC numbers just over 60k deaths surpassing my earlier uneducated guess. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Of course the reported numbers are dung.

The media are reporting over 80k deaths pretty regularly now so with a fudge factor of 20k and actual reported cases being based upon criteria that is tantamount to lying we really don't know squat.

Amazingly, at least regarding deaths, in the USA even using bogus numbers, the "it's a bad flu" crowd are currently closer to the truth than the "experts".

You may now go back to your regularly scheduled programmed fear and panic.

Saw AP headlines over a picture of Trump screaming over 90,000 last week
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #402 on: May 19, 2020, 10:15:44 AM »
Saw AP headlines over a picture of Trump screaming over 90,000 last week

Johns Hopkins is reporting 90,373 this morning.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #403 on: May 19, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »
After a phone call this AM, still sticking with my original prediction.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #404 on: May 19, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »

... of 5 million dead? By September?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #405 on: May 19, 2020, 07:41:39 PM »
I am going to predict that over 5 million people in the US die from Covid-19 or Covid-19 related illness before this is all over.

I said when it's all over.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #406 on: May 19, 2020, 08:01:03 PM »
And when asked what that meant clarified Sept. 3rd.

If you meant “By the time humans stop dying from related viruses” then your estimate is way low.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #407 on: May 19, 2020, 08:23:36 PM »
And when asked what that meant clarified Sept. 3rd.

If you meant “By the time humans stop dying from related viruses” then your estimate is way low.

May I extend my Covid deadline.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #408 on: May 19, 2020, 09:03:46 PM »

Want to give us some numbers for flu deaths?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #409 on: May 19, 2020, 09:35:30 PM »
Want to give us some numbers for flu deaths?

Really not the same, you know that. Flu doesn't make you bleed out the eyes either.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #410 on: May 19, 2020, 09:37:06 PM »
Really not the same, you know that. Flu doesn't make you bleed out the eyes either.

You are a fear monger.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #411 on: May 19, 2020, 09:41:08 PM »

I thought that was ebola.
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #412 on: May 19, 2020, 09:48:21 PM »
May I extend my Covid deadline.
You can change your mind as many times as you like.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #413 on: May 19, 2020, 10:12:37 PM »
I thought that was ebola.

I asked the same question this am.

Uranus is a gas giant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #414 on: May 20, 2020, 02:02:09 AM »

We"re not sure COVID does either. As far as I am aware the question has been asked, but not answered.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2052297520300214

Unless you have some actual evidence?

For what it's worth, SARS and MERS both also had low incidence side effects of hemorrhaging (intracranial and elsewhere). Basically the whole coronavirus family can, very rarely,  do something weird and end up acting like a hemorrhagic fever. If you roll that particular set of snake-eyes you probably won't make it. That doesn't change the fact that it's primarily a respiratory disease with a high survival rate.

To head any other fearmongers off, COVID-19 can also cause brain, liver, and kidney issues, up to and including organ failure,  and in some cases weird clotting* issues as well.  It's still a pretty survivable disease.

Quote from: charby
I think the only way you are even getting close to that number is if you include the poverty related deaths the shutdown will cause.

*Yes, COVID can make you bleed, not bleed, or not mess with you blood at all.  This is the problem with using the far ends of the bell curve as "symptoms ".

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #415 on: May 20, 2020, 07:17:06 AM »
charby,

So what's your new time frame for 5 million dead Americans, all bleeding from their eyes based on your secret source?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #416 on: May 20, 2020, 08:09:41 AM »
Bleeding from the eyeballs is a symptom of watching The Rise of Skywalker
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:29:44 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #417 on: May 20, 2020, 08:17:27 AM »
charby,

So what's your new time frame for 5 million dead Americans, all bleeding from their eyes based on your secret source?

All? Really? Did I type all?

Timeframe is when Covid runs it course in the US, you can't put an exact date in it, going to flare up and going to simmer a bit. Not over until most have antibodies for Covid 19 has via exposure or vaccine. Development of effective vaccines don't happen very fast so this is going to linger for the unforeseeable future. We already have enough skeptics vaccines that it may take even longer for herd immunity once an effective vaccine is available.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #418 on: May 20, 2020, 08:38:28 AM »
We already have enough skeptics vaccines that it may take even longer for herd immunity once an effective vaccine is available.

That's what happens when you call the feds overreact based on wildly wrong models AND then refuse to correct course once the models are shown to be WILDLY off base. E.g. Michigan, North Carolina, Virginia, Wisconsin.... (just pick every state with a Democrat Governor minus, surprisingly, Colorado.)

People can see the facts on the ground. IFF this had been shown to be a seriously dangerous disease, people would have accepted most of these stupid restrictions.

They have eyes. They can see it is nowhere near as dangerous as it was made out to be and that the original reason for all the lockdowns (SAVE THE HOSPITALS!!!>!111!>!!) is now "KILL THE HOSPITALS TO SAVE GRANDMA!!!"

(Now, grandma will die of something else that COULD have been treated if the hospitals had survived, but hey, she didn't die of COVID!)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: May 20, 2020, 09:28:53 AM »
Timeframe is when Covid runs it course in the US, you can't put an exact date in it, going to flare up and going to simmer a bit. Not over until most have antibodies for Covid 19 has via exposure or vaccine. Development of effective vaccines don't happen very fast so this is going to linger for the unforeseeable future. We already have enough skeptics vaccines that it may take even longer for herd immunity once an effective vaccine is available.
Fair enough, but five million Americans dead of COVID-19 by September 3 as you originally suggested is very different than if 5 million Americans die from it over the next 60 years or something. 

Anyhow, I'd be happy to bet a good chunk of money against 5 million Americans dying from Covid-19 in any reasonable time period.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #420 on: May 20, 2020, 09:46:51 AM »
Incidentally, I'm still sticking with my prediction.

The government will fast track the vaccine, which will be available this fall. Most people will get it and the Chinese virus will have become one more "flu" to deal with.  

Summer will cause a natural ebb in the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus, leading to a recovery. By election time, the stock market will have been recovered and Trump sails to victory.

Oh, and all the spending moves us 6 months closer to the reckoning for unfunded liabilities.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #421 on: May 20, 2020, 11:50:52 AM »
Let's set the number of dead from the first wave at something pretty high, say 200,000 dead 'Muricans.

Then let's say there is, as many have predicted, a second wave late in the year, which is worse than the first. Say 400,000.

That's over half a million this year. Let's say in subsequent years, we are all super-serious about masks and staying at home, and we get better at treating the illness, so we reduce the death toll to just 400,000. That's high, but we're giving the pessimists the benefit here.

If I'm mathing my maths right, we would hit 5 million dead in about 12 years. If there's a vaccine to be found, you'd think we'd have found it by then.

So if, instead of Sept. 2020, charby really meant Dec. 2032...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #422 on: May 20, 2020, 06:29:45 PM »
That's what happens when you call the feds overreact based on wildly wrong models AND then refuse to correct course once the models are shown to be WILDLY off base. E.g. Michigan, North Carolina, Virginia, Wisconsin.... (just pick every state with a Democrat Governor minus, surprisingly, Colorado.)

People can see the facts on the ground. IFF this had been shown to be a seriously dangerous disease, people would have accepted most of these stupid restrictions.

They have eyes. They can see it is nowhere near as dangerous as it was made out to be and that the original reason for all the lockdowns (SAVE THE HOSPITALS!!!>!111!>!!) is now "KILL THE HOSPITALS TO SAVE GRANDMA!!!"

Where, I've wondered rhetorically, are the piles of corpses? 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #423 on: May 20, 2020, 08:12:07 PM »
Where, I've wondered rhetorically, are the piles of corpses?  

Only the Clinton's know for sure

Whoops, those weren't the piles you were asking about.
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #424 on: May 20, 2020, 10:08:00 PM »
Fair enough, but five million Americans dead of COVID-19 by September 3 as you originally suggested is very different than if 5 million Americans die from it over the next 60 years or something. 

Anyhow, I'd be happy to bet a good chunk of money against 5 million Americans dying from Covid-19 in any reasonable time period.

1918 Pandemic was a bit over 12 months long, Black Death was about 5 years. We've only been at this since December.

If you can comprehend how the Covid virus attacks the body and how the body responds, you might think a bit differently. Especially how more contagious Covid is vs the various flus and their strains. For both it's still a secondary infection that ends up killing the person, but the initial viral attack is what started it.

Uranus is a gas giant.