Author Topic: COVID19 predictions  (Read 42422 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: COVID19 predictions
« Reply #450 on: May 22, 2020, 03:07:06 PM »
If I was young and single, or old and single, I would move to Boise or Helena in a heartbeat.  I have been to both areas on business, and really like them.

I had one of my best steaks ever in Helena. There was some kind of festival going on when I was there and it reminded me of the same scene as in Boulder, but without the snobby 60 year old bald-ponytailed hippie Subaru contingent.  :laugh:

I swear half the brewpubs in Boise have been started by young entrepreneurs escaping Portland.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #451 on: May 22, 2020, 03:23:31 PM »
Newsflash - most of the towns I mentioned already have the influx, hence their mention.

I mean a bigger influx, like Facebook just moved corporate HQ there.

I left my last town to move where I am is because when Workiva opened there HQ campus there housing became very expensive for what I was making at Iowa State University. Town grows that fast it strains a lot of things, not like you widen a road in a commercial district when store fronts are already close to the curb.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #452 on: May 22, 2020, 03:39:06 PM »
I mean a bigger influx, like Facebook just moved corporate HQ there.

I left my last town to move where I am is because when Workiva opened there HQ campus there housing became very expensive for what I was making at Iowa State University. Town grows that fast it strains a lot of things, not like you widen a road in a commercial district when store fronts are already close to the curb.

Well, Boise Metro is certainly an example of that (not just from tech workers). Making it on too many top ten lists has priced many natives out of homes, and traffic is certainly an issue now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #453 on: May 23, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
A couple of days after reading about a resurgence of C19 in China we get this from the AP

New coronavirus cases in China fell to zero on Saturday for the first time but surged in India and overwhelmed hospitals across Latin America – both in countries lax about lockdowns and those lauded for firm, early confinement. The virus hit a reopened church in Germany and probably a restaurant, too.

Zero?
I will only take cash for the bridge, no checks.

Zero cases in China as virus surges in Latin America, India
https://www.wave3.com/2020/05/23/virus-cases-drop-zero-china-surge-latin-america/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #454 on: May 23, 2020, 01:55:42 PM »
A couple of days after reading about a resurgence of C19 in China we get this from the AP

Zero?
I will only take cash for the bridge, no checks.

Zero cases in China as virus surges in Latin America, India
https://www.wave3.com/2020/05/23/virus-cases-drop-zero-china-surge-latin-america/

Seriously, the MSM must be getting paid in Renmimbi.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #455 on: May 24, 2020, 09:23:32 AM »
Well, Boise Metro is certainly an example of that (not just from tech workers). Making it on too many top ten lists has priced many natives out of homes, and traffic is certainly an issue now.

We are having the same issue here. It’s nuts. The extreme population explosion is very good for us business wise but forget about living closer than an hour unless you owned your home before. Houses go on the market and they are snapped up in a couple hours with the incoming out of state buyer paying over asking price in cash.  

And the developers love to put a dozen subdivisions and apartment complexes on every narrow two lane road.

The better restaurants, shopping, and such however is a nice benefit. The blue influx is not as welcome... I also get the displeasure of seeing a ton of Seattle grade freaks every time I venture downtown now. No homeless shitting on sidewalks and shooting up in front of the cops...yet...but give it time.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #456 on: May 24, 2020, 09:59:35 AM »

I also get the displeasure of seeing a ton of Seattle grade freaks every time I venture downtown now.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #457 on: May 24, 2020, 10:02:22 AM »
We are having the same issue here. It’s nuts. The extreme population explosion is very good for us business wise but forget about living closer than an hour unless you owned your home before. Houses go on the market and they are snapped up in a couple hours with the incoming out of state buyer paying over asking price in cash.  

And the developers love to put a dozen subdivisions and apartment complexes on every narrow two lane road.

The better restaurants, shopping, and such however is a nice benefit. The blue influx is not as welcome... I also get the displeasure of seeing a ton of Seattle grade freaks every time I venture downtown now. No homeless shitting on sidewalks and shooting up in front of the cops...yet...but give it time.

Yeah, I wasn't even looking close to Boise when I was buying, yet still I lost several properties I likely would have put an offer on after doing a walkthrough because some jackass from Sanfran, Portland, or Seattle put in a full price offer over the phone and sight unseen, often just hours after the listing went live. I could never spend that much money on a property without seeing it first. Maybe straight ag land, but never one with a house or shop or other infrastructure.

I do like the food and stuff in downtown Boise. There is an amazing selection - even stuff like Ethiopian and lots of Eastern European / Eurasian stuff that didn't even exist in hip Santa Barbara. Sadly, according to an article I read at the Idaho Freedom Foundation, the new Boise mayor has been quoted as saying she wants Boise to be the next Portland. Kinda funny since a ton of Boisians and Boise businesses, mostly liberal, are people who fled Portland. The Romanians who run the little German store I go to had to flee and they bash Portland every time I go there.  :laugh:

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #458 on: May 25, 2020, 08:11:19 AM »
https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/cdc-says-coronavirus-infection-fatality-rate-could-be-low-026-nearly

CDC says death rate may be as low as 1/4% of those infected.

The more we test the lower that number drops.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #459 on: May 25, 2020, 02:28:10 PM »
The real covid danger now is people being run over by moving goal posts.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I recall telling a friend, "we will all know someone who has died of it by May or June" .... so far thank God I have been wrong.
   Here in Reno/Washoe county, we have low numbers.  We share a border with the Lake Tahoe region of California, so I'm not sure exactly how bad/good it is locally
since I am to busy to keep up with CA bovine excrement, outside of gun issues.

All the deaths here are folks with real bad comorbidity issues, the overwhelming majority are in institutional settings.
One facility, was a place i had often considered working at because I had worked at a place like it before, lot's of local AA folks had worked there
but I have a grudge against one or two of them so I never applied.
Willow Springs Treatment Facility  is for "troubled" kids with addictions and mental issues, they would cough on staff if sick and do whatever they could to infect staff.
It worked, it became a hot zone, I certainly dodged a bullet.

I think blue state nanny types will be fearful/paranoid and red state types will be cautious/independent -

Things seem to be normalizing slowly
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #461 on: May 26, 2020, 09:15:28 AM »
Climate scientists, Epidemiologists and Economists ... need I say more?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #462 on: May 26, 2020, 09:54:05 AM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #463 on: May 26, 2020, 10:12:23 AM »
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/why-the-economy-is-headed-for-a-post-coronavirus-depression-nouriel-roubini.html

Well, this doesn't sound good.

Meh, that's why you plan stock investments for 10-ish year timeframes. Even if it happens, I doubt it will be for a full decade, and there will likely be decent opportunities to buy in for future appreciation. If nothing else, it might be a good opportunity to stabilize interest rates at higher levels than the crazy place they are now.

Tangentially, I just heard a pretty solid analysis of why we'll likely see Dow 20K again before we see Dow 30K, and that it looks like it will happen relatively quickly, which would actually be a good thing - as in, getting that pain over faster (plus second buying opportunity!), plus it would then have a high probability of creating a large third quarter uptick, which would definitely be helpful to Trump.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #464 on: May 26, 2020, 10:40:27 AM »
Stock investments for 10 year timeframes are good if you have a job that pays the bills and leaves something left over to invest.  If you don't have a job at all, or an underpaying job, stock investing for the long term is the least of your worries.  Unless something happens pretty darn quickly to help restore the job market for farming, blue collar and other jobs that cannot be done remotely, the economy will continue to suffer and the President will face an upward battle for re-election.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #465 on: May 26, 2020, 10:48:40 AM »
Unless something happens pretty darn quickly to help restore the job market for farming, blue collar and other jobs that cannot be done remotely, the economy will continue to suffer and the President will face an upward battle for re-election.

How about rounding up liberal mayors and governors and quarantining them on an island somewhere so their cities and states can get back to business?  =D

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #466 on: May 26, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »
How about rounding up liberal mayors and governors and quarantining them on an island somewhere so their cities and states can get back to business?  =D

Camp Gulag Paradise
No guns
No need to make choices
No free aka hate Speech
Everything is free
Every Sunday you get to choose whatever gender* and race** you want to be that week.
Poop anywhere you want
Unlimited Soy Milk
English optional

* Straight Male excluded
** White excluded

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #467 on: May 26, 2020, 11:50:58 AM »
Camp Gulag Paradise
No guns
No need to make choices
No free aka hate Speech
Everything is free
Every Sunday you get to choose whatever gender* and race** you want to be that week.
Poop anywhere you want
Unlimited Soy Milk
English optional

* Straight Male excluded
** White excluded

I give it 36 hours before full on Lord of the Flies.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #468 on: May 26, 2020, 11:53:34 AM »
I give it 36 hours before full on Lord of the Flies.

No conch either.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #469 on: May 26, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »
Stock investments for 10 year timeframes are good if you have a job that pays the bills and leaves something left over to invest.  If you don't have a job at all, or an underpaying job, stock investing for the long term is the least of your worries.  Unless something happens pretty darn quickly to help restore the job market for farming, blue collar and other jobs that cannot be done remotely, the economy will continue to suffer and the President will face an upward battle for re-election.
Things may change, but I have heard people say Trump is not being blamed for things so far.  That could change.  However, with the leftists being the primary proponents of continuing the shutdown, we will see.  I would hate to count on that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #470 on: May 26, 2020, 12:15:40 PM »
Camp Gulag Paradise
No guns
No need to make choices
No free aka hate Speech
Everything is free
Poop anywhere you want
Unlimited Soy Milk
English optional

* Straight Male excluded
** White excluded

I don't want to be cruel, I just want us back in business. I'll even let Whitmer bring her boat to the island.  =D

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #471 on: May 26, 2020, 10:04:08 PM »
How about rounding up liberal mayors and governors and quarantining them on an island somewhere so their cities and states can get back to business?  =D

Well I was with you up until quarantine..  >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #472 on: May 28, 2020, 12:04:04 PM »
Data point here.  My brother the nurse tells me:

Lots. On any given night my floor will have 10-15 with another 10 or so on ICU. Mentally handicapped, Latins and Blacks hit hardest, in that order.

With reference to the beer virus.  He's in Rockford, IL.  Urban area of 300-someodd-thousand(ish).  He's in one of the hospitals there.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #473 on: May 28, 2020, 12:44:18 PM »
Data point here.  My brother the nurse tells me:

With reference to the beer virus.  He's in Rockford, IL.  Urban area of 300-someodd-thousand(ish).  He's in one of the hospitals there.

Similar to what I was told and posted on here.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #474 on: May 28, 2020, 02:21:16 PM »
Data point here.  My brother the nurse tells me:

With reference to the beer virus.  He's in Rockford, IL.  Urban area of 300-someodd-thousand(ish).  He's in one of the hospitals there.

Yeah, it's bad in urban areas.

Meanwhile, our metropolitan area has about 300,000 in total population. The main city is kind of urban at just under 100K. (as part of that 300K total).  We've had 343 cases, 33 hospitalizations and 24 deaths. (Spread amongst the 300K population)

But we're getting locked down just like the rest of the state. Because we have an idiot for a governor who wants to make sure the parts of the state that didn't vote for him suffer as much as the parts of the state that did.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought