Author Topic: Ruger PC Charger  (Read 1683 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Ruger PC Charger
« on: March 19, 2020, 10:43:46 AM »
Looks like Ruger put out a pistol version of their PC carbine.  Calling it the Charger model.

Gun Talk Media
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lsZ3W3-Gh4

22 Plinkster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWU5Xo6jwtM

I thought the carbine was a bit large for me, but this one looks pretty good for what it is.  If the price is as low as the carbine, it ought to sell well.  

The take down aspect is also interesting as it looks like it would be easy to stow away in a pack or a cubby hole in a truck.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Ruger PC Charger
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:53:41 AM »
"folding brace"  :rofl:

Still waiting for the keltec sub in .45, fed by M&P magazines.  Only pistol carbine I want.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 11:05:17 AM »
Hasn't that been out since last year? 

My LGS had one as a kit: gun, brace, 2 or 3 mags, bipod, discreet carry bag. Around $600, IIRC.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 11:10:12 AM »
The folding "brace" is all the rage.  I prefer the tailhook as it can be used as an actual brace a lot easier.   =D

I got one of the A3 Tactical braces recently.  The company sells the same thing as a stock or a brace with just a minor change to the rear end.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 11:15:48 AM »
Wish there was a carbine out there that took CZ75 mags.  Kind of surprised that CZ didn't make the new(ish) Scorpion compatible with pistol mags.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 11:17:03 AM »
The folding "brace" is all the rage.  I prefer the tailhook as it can be used as an actual brace a lot easier.   =D

I got one of the A3 Tactical braces recently.  The company sells the same thing as a stock or a brace with just a minor change to the rear end.

I have the folding brace on my Canebrake. I'm already thinking about just filing the damn SBR paperwork.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:29:21 AM »
Looks like Ruger put out a pistol version of their PC carbine.  Calling it the Charger model.

Gun Talk Media
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lsZ3W3-Gh4

How is it a "pistol" with a barrel that long on it? Looks like an AOW to me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 11:31:50 AM »
How is it a "pistol" with a barrel that long on it? Looks like an AOW to me.
The barrel is only about 6" so I heard.  I think they were using suppressors in those videos.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 11:54:32 AM »
The barrel is only about 6" so I heard.  I think they were using suppressors in those videos.

Ah. Right -- I hadn't watched the second video when I posted.

"Pistol," my posterior. So it's actually a (wink, wink: nudge, nudge) SBR except that you have to buy the butt stock from aftermarket suppliers -- which just happen to have them ready for a "pistol" that just hit the market. And, of course, it's not really a butt stock, it's a "brace." Yeah, right.

So where are the IWB holsters for carrying this "pistol" concealed?

I'm really surprised that Ruger is involved in something like this. It jerks my chain when allegedly responsible gun manufacturers play fast and loose with the rules like this, because the inevitable result is that the BATFE and/or Congress will tighten the rules and make life more difficult for all of us.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 12:10:17 PM »
Ah. Right -- I hadn't watched the second video when I posted.

"Pistol," my posterior. So it's actually a (wink, wink: nudge, nudge) SBR except that you have to buy the butt stock from aftermarket suppliers -- which just happen to have them ready for a "pistol" that just hit the market. And, of course, it's not really a butt stock, it's a "brace." Yeah, right.

So where are the IWB holsters for carrying this "pistol" concealed?

I'm really surprised that Ruger is involved in something like this. It jerks my chain when allegedly responsible gun manufacturers play fast and loose with the rules like this, because the inevitable result is that the BATFE and/or Congress will tighten the rules and make life more difficult for all of us.
Is there a gun manufacturer that is NOT making AR pistols and similar guns?  Lots of people making "pistol braces" also.  It isn't some kind of secret.  

Note that Ruger did not put the "brace" on those pistols.  The people doing the reviews did that as will most of the people buying one.  Ruger just puts the picatinny rail mount on the back.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 12:18:07 PM »

You should be attacking the government instead of gun manufacturers. There is zero reason for a buttstock to make something an ATF regulated item. The brace actually makes that abundantly clear.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 12:24:20 PM »
There is zero reason for a buttstock to make something an ATF regulated item.

Fixed.   >:D [ar15]

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 12:25:50 PM »
Had an AR pistol, done with the gray area legalities. 16” bbl glock mag AR is what we desire.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 12:45:56 PM »
Had an AR pistol, done with the gray area legalities. 16” bbl glock mag AR is what we desire.
I got a Thureon defense rifle some years back.  It is a good firearm, but I prefer the pistols.  9mm and 45 ACP don't need a barrel that long and it seems a waste to have something the size and weight of a rifle, but only firing a pistol round.  I have thought about doing the SBR paperwork on one, but not now. 

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 12:48:00 PM »

Lots of pistol caliber carbines (PCC) out there.  I have a CMMG 9mm that uses Glock mags.  It is really nice, but a bit pricey.  They have multiple versions in 9mm, .40, .45, and even 10mm for the real men out there.

I see a bunch of the Sig MPX rifles in use in the competition world.  Those are also good, but a bit bulky for my tastes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 01:23:07 PM by Fly320s »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
I like it, but I have 3 PCC's now, and probably shouldn't buy a fourth.

A Hipoint 9mm rifle I bought specifically to put in the HighTower Armory bullpup stock.
A NFA SBR'ed Sterling
And a KelTec Sub 9 (the original all metal one)

I also have a 9mm Glock magazine AR lower I 3D printed that I need to get off my butt and buy an upper for to see if it actually works.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 01:29:02 PM »
It's a neat idea, but I'd probably do it with one of the AR takedown systems.  A little more expensive, but more options to set it up, and that Ruger has an awful long reciever for 9mm.  You could get a folding 9mm takedown AR in that same footprint with a 8-10" barrel.

One of my projects is figuring out how to cut the back of an 9mm AR bolt carrier, and get it heavy and sprung enough in the upper receiver to be shootable with a folded stock and/or brace in the folded position. It's almost there.

As far as AR pistols with braces go? I have 4 (maybe 5?) of them.  They are awesome. 10.5"-14.5" is about the perfect barrel length for an non"long range" AR.  I'm glad the entire gun owning public is pointing out how stupid SBR regulation is.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 12:50:44 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecSNeIITmjE
Man puts a PCC barrel on the Charger version.  Just confirming they are compatible.