Author Topic: Covid-19 meals  (Read 15994 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Covid-19 meals
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2020, 07:00:17 PM »
Wife went to our usual local grocery today per her usual schedule.  Meat is in better supply, but quite a bit more expensive.  She usually shops the "reduced for sale" sales and gets some great buys.  Nothing like that today, however.
She did score some good looking catfish chunks and some chicken wings.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2020, 12:02:32 AM »
Y'all need to get to Guam. Spam at the chinese restaurant, spam at Wendy's, spam at burger king, whole aisle of spam at Kmart. Yeah, no walmart, huge kmart. Turkey spam I may like more than regular. So far my greatest achievement has been bacon, egg, cheese and spam on grilled sourdough.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2020, 12:13:45 PM »
Wife went to our usual local grocery today per her usual schedule.  Meat is in better supply, but quite a bit more expensive.  She usually shops the "reduced for sale" sales and gets some great buys.  Nothing like that today, however.
She did score some good looking catfish chunks and some chicken wings.

That's a no shitter, I went to the commissary yesterday and 93% ground beef was 4.05/lb. I looked at flank and skirt steaks and when the prices was north of 14-15 dollars apiece I left them. I have been able to lay in a stock of corned beef. All of the remaining ones there had a 3 dollar off coupon on them which almost made them affordable but still more affordable than the beef. It's looking like a long haul of chicken and pork.

bob

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2020, 02:26:46 PM »
Boneless/skinless chicken thighs are back for $1.79 at local Sam's club.  Got those,  drumsticks and some split breasts,  gonna load up the smoker.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2020, 11:20:57 AM »
Took a 4.5lb brisket, quartered it, browned it and threw it in the crock pot to make barbacoa today. Should be enough to last several meals. I have decided to do less cooking so meals with leftovers are becoming standard.

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2020, 02:29:37 PM »
I have been unable to locate a beef flank steak.
With all the extra time I thought I should make an Italian braciole since it takes most of a day if it's done right. No other substitute cut really works.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2020, 05:35:22 PM »
I have been unable to locate a beef flank steak.
With all the extra time I thought I should make an Italian braciole since it takes most of a day if it's done right. No other substitute cut really works.

Flank steak and skirt steak seem to be the most available cuts where I shop. Other things may be scarce but there were a couple of rows of each the last time I went to the store. I think it is because people don't know what to do with it. There are plenty of recipes if you look a little bit. I like to cook it right on top of the coals (Alton Brown taught me that) when doing fajitas or where I am just slicing it and eating it.

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2020, 09:20:43 PM »
Flank steak is popular with the Mexicans here. Its good if scored lightly with a knife and marinated overnight and grilled or over hot coals.
The braciole is really good but a lot of work and time. I pound the flank steak out as big and flat and thin as I can get it with a tenderizer hammer. Rub both sides with an olive oil, pressed garlic, salt and pepper paste. Then coat the top with diced hard boiled egg, fine chopped onion, mazerella, ricotta and grated parmisan cheese and Italian herbs and fresh parsley. Then I roll it up tight and tie with kitchen string. Brown it in a skillet on all sides then either simmer it for a couple hours or so or close it up in a terra-cotta covered baking dish in the oven in my from scratch tomato sauce with mushrooms.
Sliced into spiral rounds and served on pasta with a crusty bread and a liberal serving of Chianti on the side.
I gotta find that flank steak.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2020, 09:24:23 PM »
Flank steak and beef ribs are hard to find around here unless you have a cow butchered or go to a to a real meat butcher not a grocery store.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2020, 09:40:39 PM »
Last time I looked at flank steak I wasn't sure I was seeing correctly...

$14 a freaking pound?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2020, 09:53:50 PM »
Last time I looked at flank steak I wasn't sure I was seeing correctly...

$14 a freaking pound?

Which is why there is no flank steak in my freezer right now. Hell, there is barely any 93% ground beef (4.05/lb).

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2020, 10:33:00 PM »
Which is why there is no flank steak in my freezer right now. Hell, there is barely any 93% ground beef (4.05/lb).

bob

Live prices today for NE, IA, KS cattle were $105/100#. Prime carcass was $226/100#. This does not equate to the prices in the store or has for a while. Cattle are one of the few livestock holdouts where most of the herd is still owned by the producers until the packers buy it, unlike packer owned contract grown swine and poultry.

I'm surprised that the cattle producers haven't burnt the major owners homes of the beef kill companies down. Tyson Food, Excel (Cargill), JBS (old Swift pack, Brazillian owned) and National Beef (51% Brazillian owned). These companies control 80% of the beef kill, FYI.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2020, 10:56:54 PM »
I alternate buying a half and a quarter beef every year from my cousin. He grows some damn good beef. He was showing winning beef cattle 50 years ago when we were kids. I pay him market price and he hauls them to a small family owned locker service. I call them with my cut order and pick it up after 2.5-3 weeks aging then cut wrap and freeze.
Problem is it only yields one flank steak. This was a quarter year when I split a half with my sister and her turn on the flank steak and my turn on the brisket. Next year I’ll buy a half and have both.
A half beef is more than we can eat in 1 year and a quarter isn’t quite enough. That’s why we alternate.
I like that I can specify how thick to cut steaks, how many to a package, how big for roasts, how many packages of ground and stew meat, etc. and we get liver, tongue, lots of nice soup bones and everything else even dog bones.
We always have a good supply of meat on hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2020, 12:18:30 PM »
Man, this virus. I'm getting tired of eating steak all the time.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2020, 01:00:27 PM »
Man, this virus. I'm getting tired of eating steak all the time.  =D

For us it's been charcoal grilled ribs.  We're switching over to grilled chicken wings today for variety's sake.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2020, 07:46:10 PM »
Fish and chicken in varying degrees here. LOVING it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2020, 08:59:23 PM »
I've been running my smoker weekends and divying out the contents to family  (Most of mine are either going stir crazy from lack of restaurants or too old to really cook for themselves).

First go was pork butts, second was a brisket and some chicken.  This weekend I did 70 lbs of random chicken.  Why haven't any of you bastards told me about brining?  The result was the juiciest smoked chicken I've ever managed!  Amazing what submerging chicken in salt/pepper/sugar water overnight does for the finished product.  Can't wait to do it again.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2020, 09:02:37 PM »
I've been running my smoker weekends and divying out the contents to family  (Most of mine are either going stir crazy from lack of restaurants or too old to really cook for themselves).

First go was pork butts, second was a brisket and some chicken.  This weekend I did 70 lbs of random chicken.  Why haven't any of you bastards told me about brining? The result was the juiciest smoked chicken I've ever managed!  Amazing what submerging chicken in salt/pepper/sugar water overnight does for the finished product.  Can't wait to do it again.

I thought brining was common knowledge for any one with a smoker...... sorry.  ;/

I suppose wet aging is foreign to you also? :)

bob

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2020, 10:24:51 PM »
Yeah brine birds and morels haha

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2020, 10:30:27 PM »
I thought brining was common knowledge for any one with a smoker...... sorry.  ;/

I suppose wet aging is foreign to you also? :)

bob

I'm not ashamed of complete ignorance of that.

The smoker is a recent-ish acquisition,  and until now I've mostly done pork and and occasional brisket.   :cool:

on wet aging,  haven't tried anything myself.  When I buy freezer beef from the Jr Fair auctions, my butcher hangs it for 3 weeks,  and that's always been good.  Will have to loo into further wet aging.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2020, 11:55:23 PM »
I wet age all of my briskets. I buy them in the cryovac and try to get the pack date off of the box from the butcher if they still have it. I will usually go 4 weeks of so from purchase for wet aging if I don't have the pack date, with it I will go six weeks from that as a max. It makes prior planning a necessity. I am getting ready to get a whole packer brisket and start the process for my retirement BBQ at the end of May.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2020, 09:24:52 AM »
Prague #1 and #2 powder should become your best friends if you got a smoker. Morton Tenderquick if your a lazy sort of person.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2020, 11:01:44 PM »
Having deer loin and morels for lunch tomorrow or maybe Tuesday will see what happens and I'll let you all know what you missed out on.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2020, 11:09:48 PM »
Prague #1 and #2 powder should become your best friends if you got a smoker. Morton Tenderquick if your a lazy sort of person.

Got some Prague #1 for my attempt at bacon.  First round failed specatcularly.  It looked like bacon,  but when cut up and fried was about 200% too salty.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:47:06 PM by Andiron »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2020, 07:23:10 PM »
Crockpot chicken breasts with a can of Rotel and a package of fajita seasoning makes tasty shredded chicken filler for enchiladas.

Uranus is a gas giant.