Author Topic: Need scanner help  (Read 1215 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Need scanner help
« on: April 10, 2020, 01:31:52 AM »
H-P Laser 1536dnf MFP. I get a vertical white streak running the length of each page when I scan. The same streak occurs whether I use the flatbed or the automatic document feeder.

What's wrong and how do I fix it?

TIA
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
Re: Need scanner help
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 02:42:58 AM »
If it's a white streak it's probably broken.  A black streak might be caused by a particle on the sensor but white can only mean a dead pixel I think. Unless you are scanning negatives then it's the other way round.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 08:31:14 AM »
does the white streak show up on printed output (using device as copier) only, or on scans saved to a file as well?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 09:41:51 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 11:08:10 AM »
does the white streak show up on printed output (using device as copier) only, or on scans saved to a file as well?

Didn't think to try it as a copier.

After a number of false starts, I was actually able to resolve the problem with the help of H-P's diagnostic chat bot. After the first half dozen or so suggestions didn't solve the problem, it suggested unplugging the machine for at least a minute, then rebooting it. This is supposed to result in the machine recalibrating itself. I guess it did, because the scan quality now is better than I can remember it ever being.

Thanks for the suggestions.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 02:11:20 PM »
Have you tried turning it off then turning it back on again?

:rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 07:07:10 PM »
Have you tried turning it off then turning it back on again?

:rofl:

This is a lesson I learn over and over again.  Usually to my chagrin.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 12:30:57 AM »
For more blatant issues I would have tried that. For a faint white streak through a scan? Never occurred to me. And the help bot specifically said to unplug the power cord, not turn off the machine. So even when "off" there must be some low-level function that's maintained by the power input. Specifically, it said to unplug it and leave it unplugged for at least one minute.

Other stuff? It'll make you nuts. I have (make that "had') a nice-looking Baskerville font that I was gearing up to use on a project. Everything looked great on the screen. I printed a test sheet, and it came out looking like what we used to get in the old days when you printed to an Epson printer but the system was set up to use IBM printer codes -- gibberish. I tried a couple of different Baskerville fonts from other sources, and they print fine. So I uninstalled the problem font. Of course, the font metrics on the other versions are different, so now everything has to be re-formatted.