Author Topic: Positive news! - Post yours here  (Read 6084 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Positive news! - Post yours here
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 08:17:09 AM »
We're going to a crew based schedule for the interim.  The idea being, if a crew gets a confirmed case, they can get quarantined, the facility can be sanitized, and there's enough controllers left to run the operation. 
5 days on, 10 days off.  So unless we get an instance of another crew taking a hit, I'll have a lot of time off for the next two months  :rofl:
I think that's a positive.  More time with the fam, even just to do little things like play uno or watch a movie.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
This is the time of year I usually get hammered by allergies, however it's been the least bad for me in literally decades.

Also, Hilary is still not president.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 12:09:53 PM »
Totally selfish positive news, but due to the virus, I have discovered my little grocery store has the best meat ever. I've always bought my meat from Costco. My previous Costco had prime cuts. My current Costco only has choice, and it's hit and miss on really good vs just okay. Since I'm not going to Costco right now, I started buying meat at the local grocery. Even in the worst panic so far, they have been stocked in the higher priced cuts.

They also only have choice, but I cooked up some tri-tip from there today. Made it the same way I always do, seasoned the same, and it is worlds better than the Costco meat. This is a family owned store with three locations. Mine is just a satellite store, but their main store in Oregon has a butcher shop that delivers to their other stores. I'm guessing they are buying fresh local beef that is fed well, because again, the taste was amazing. I'm gonna start buying my meat from them from now on.

You'd love the everyday meat we can get in the Midwest from most grocery stores.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »
This is the time of year I usually get hammered by allergies, however it's been the least bad for me in literally decades.

My allergies were bad about two weeks ago, but they were gone inside a week, which is unusual.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2020, 12:34:58 PM »
Totally selfish positive news, but due to the virus, I have discovered my little grocery store has the best meat ever. I've always bought my meat from Costco. My previous Costco had prime cuts. My current Costco only has choice, and it's hit and miss on really good vs just okay. Since I'm not going to Costco right now, I started buying meat at the local grocery. Even in the worst panic so far, they have been stocked in the higher priced cuts.

They also only have choice, but I cooked up some tri-tip from there today. Made it the same way I always do, seasoned the same, and it is worlds better than the Costco meat. This is a family owned store with three locations. Mine is just a satellite store, but their main store in Oregon has a butcher shop that delivers to their other stores. I'm guessing they are buying fresh local beef that is fed well, because again, the taste was amazing. I'm gonna start buying my meat from them from now on.
They probably do what our little local market, Frank's Meat Market, does.  Which is, age their beef.  Most supermarket beef is on the shelf about 5 days after being slaughtered, Frank's ages their for 3 weeks before cutting and packaging.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »

Both of our cars are black.  The amount of tree bukkake on them right now is obscene.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2020, 12:54:38 PM »
everyday meat 

Everyday Meat was my nickname during those two weeks I was allowed to teach at Bryn Mawr.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 12:57:56 PM »
Everyday Meat was my nickname during those two weeks I was allowed to teach at Bryn Mawr.

We got a steakhouse named Bryn Mawr near Ainsworth, IA.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2020, 02:44:39 PM »
Both of our cars are black.  The amount of tree bukkake on them right now is obscene.

https://avalonking.com/

This stuff is awesome.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2020, 02:45:43 PM »
The heavy rains on Friday dissolved a lot of the winters dog crap. Less to pick up in the backyard this week.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 02:51:18 PM »
As horrible as this sounds, I'm glad that my Mother isn't alive for this. It would have been problematic.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2020, 08:13:01 PM »
https://www.ammoland.com/2020/03/nssf-firearm-accidents-reaching-record-low-level/#axzz6I6IamFJ6
NSSF: Firearm Accidents Reaching Record Low Level

The National Safety Council data showed that for 2018 there were 458 firearm fatalities, accounting for less than 1 percent of unintentional fatalities from all principal causes. In the last two decades (1998-2018) accidental firearm deaths have declined by 47 percent. “Even one accidental firearm fatality is one too many,” said Bartozzi. “We’re aiming for zero, and this is great progress.”

Hopefully, all the new gun owners pay some attention to what they are doing and don't mess this up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 08:51:29 PM »
As horrible as this sounds, I'm glad that my Mother isn't alive for this. It would have been problematic.

Don't feel bad. A friend of my Dad's was helping me out a few weeks ago and said he thought it was a blessing Dad wasn't around for the potential boogalo. At the time, I wavered but this? Oh dear God, especially with my health being what it is, there wouldn't be a moment of peace... It would be constant ranting, fussing and there wouldn't be an unloaded gun in the house.

Well, except Tiger King. He would have loved Tiger King (the show, not Joe)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2020, 01:02:47 AM »
Back to the actual thread topic:  :P

Good news!

There's a new test, with results within minutes, and it can be done at a doctor's office or an urgent care.

Hydroxychloriquine has been approved as a treatment.

There may be a vaccine approved by January.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2020, 07:28:51 AM »
There's a new test, with results within minutes, and it can be done at a doctor's office or an urgent care.

Of course the primary result of that will be the media breathlessly reporting on the skyrocketing number of new cases.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2020, 09:09:52 AM »
Of course the primary result of that will be the media breathlessly reporting on the skyrocketing number of new cases.

They won't mention that the skyrocketing new cases is a good thing.  It's good because our testing is catching up.  Not too long ago, CA had more pending tests than they had results. 
JD

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2020, 09:13:08 AM »
I was sick and now I'm not as sick. No idea if it was the Modelovirus or something less serious but it's been GI symptoms.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »
This sounds even more horrible. My mom IS still alive. She's 91 and has dementia and is in hospice care at a local retirement home.  Naturally, the home is locked down, so we can't even visit.  If she were to pass away before this is over, she would do so around strangers, and there would be no funeral. I wouldn't mourn her passing, because it is time (she still recognizes us, sometimes), but I just hope she hangs on until this is over, so we can visit her again.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2020, 12:59:10 PM »
I'm right there with you, Larry.

My Mom was slipping badly at the end. It was getting to the point where she thought I was my Dad (not frequently, but jarring), but most of the time she thought her parents were still alive and that my Dad's parents were still alive.

What made it all the more real for her was that the home she was living in was the house that my Dad grew up in (which they bought from Dad's parent's estate in 1999). She and my Dad had been friends from when they were young so as Mom went farther and farther back in time she was still in a place that was totally familiar to her and she was expecting the people who should have been there to be there.

Her last Christmas she was infuriated that my Grandmother (Dad's mom) was ignoring her...

I just know I'd be frantic with worry with this going on were she still alive and at home.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2020, 10:10:00 PM »
Mixed bag. The not good-  My last bee hive died out some time me late winter. I'd had neglected the hive so pretty much my fault. I had seen activity with pollen (probably cedar) coming in on some warm days in early February but recent activity had no pollen. Turned out to be robbing. The sort of good- I salvaged 24 pounds of honey out of the upper box.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2020, 10:24:43 AM »
My good news. I normally work from home already, so nothing has changed. Still getting paid, when I know a lot of people aren't.

And our customers are still implementing/buying our system for new setups, so the company is still in the black.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2020, 11:14:30 AM »
Positive News!
https://babylonbee.com/news/mike-pence-issues-permanent-stay-at-home-order-for-women
Mike Pence Issues Permanent Stay-At-Home Order To Nation's Women

Currently, this permanent stay-at-home order for women is being praised by feminist groups. “We misjudged Pence,” said an email from the National Organization for Women. “He really cares about women and wants to keep them safe.”

The order should go into effect immediately and last until Judgment Day. Any woman who violates the order will be forced to wear a scarlet letter “A,” which stands for “A Woman Who Doesn’t Listen.”
:lol:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2020, 02:31:00 PM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2020, 02:36:32 PM »
Why's Jesus telling Polyanna to stay at home?