Author Topic: Guy tries to 911 a Navy Hospital ship.....with a train!  (Read 3300 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Guy tries to 911 a Navy Hospital ship.....with a train!
« on: April 02, 2020, 08:19:11 AM »
Wow

An engineer deliberately ran a train off the tracks at high speed near the Port of Los Angeles in an attempt to crash into and damage the USNS Mercy hospital ship, prosecutors say.

The Pacific Harbor Line train derailed Tuesday, running through the end of the track and crashing through barriers, finally coming to rest about 250 yards from the docked naval ship.

Federal prosecutors allege train engineer Eduardo Moreno, 44, of San Pedro intended to hit the ship, saying he thought it was “suspicious” and did not believe “the ship is what they say it’s for.'”
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/02/no-big-deal-just-a-california-man-trying-to-sink-the-usns-mercy-with-a-wait-for-it-train/

Prosecutors: Engineer deliberately ran train off tracks in attempt to smash the USNS Mercy
https://abc7ny.com/officials-engineer-tried-to-smash-train-into-usns-mercy/6069459/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
Re: Guy tries to 911 a Navy Hospital ship.....with a train!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 09:39:44 AM »
Is this TDS, or just normal crazy?

I couldn't tell from the article I read about it.

As a comment: I'm a little concerned that someone that was (apparently) qualified to operate a train has such a bad grasp of the physics of that much mass.  I know I had specific instruction, both in class and in practical training, on things like how far my boat will go without engines, or after it hits things, so I could make good judgment in the case of emergency.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 09:41:07 AM »
Is this TDS, or just normal crazy?

I couldn't tell from the article I read about it.

As a comment: I'm a little concerned that someone that was (apparently) qualified to operate a train has such a bad grasp of the physics of that much mass.  I know I had specific instruction, both in class and in practical training, on things like how far my boat will go without engines, or after it hits things, so I could make good judgment in the case of emergency.

I'm pretty sure this guy is a "patriot" and voted for Trump.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 09:50:55 AM »
I'm pretty sure this guy is a "patriot" and voted for Trump.

Evidence?  Or gut feeling?

All I saw was the pretty vague "People don't know whats going on in there" comment.  I'm willing to believe you, the Trump camp has some crazies, but trying to take out one of his few wins in this whole thing would seem counter-intuitive.

He could just be normal crazy.  Not everyone has political motivations for weird *expletive deleted*it they do.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 10:02:51 AM »
Evidence?  Or gut feeling?

All I saw was the pretty vague "People don't know whats going on in there" comment.  I'm willing to believe you, the Trump camp has some crazies, but trying to take out one of his few wins in this whole thing would seem counter-intuitive.

He could just be normal crazy.  Not everyone has political motivations for weird *expletive deleted*it they do.

Gut feeling, do you see a liberal trying to ram a government owned hospital ship with a train?

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 10:06:55 AM »
Reading this, I get a "government water gay frog Area 51" kind of conspiracy vibe from the engineer.

He probably was thinking something along the lines that the ship was there to assist in probing all the sick people and transfer certain people to the alien underwater mothership.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 10:11:41 AM »
Wile E. Coyote failure level 10

“It would have had to have gone several hundred yards through a parking lot and cross a water channel to reach the ship,” Sanfield said. “ The tracks are nowhere near the Mercy.”
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/04/02/train-engineer-intentionally-derails-locomotive-near-hospital-ship-says-usns-mercy-was-suspicious/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=Socialflow+NAV&utm_medium=social

How did this this guy become an engineer with a apparent zero understanding of the physics involved even if he was flat off his rocker? Only things I can think of at the moment, and this is pure speculation on my part at this time, is a 100% diversity based hire/promotion.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 10:14:31 AM »
Reading this, I get a "government water gay frog Area 51" kind of conspiracy vibe from the engineer.

He probably was thinking something along the lines that the ship was there to assist in probing all the sick people and transfer certain people to the alien underwater mothership.

Agreed. Probably a full on Alex Jones tin foil hatter.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »
Gut feeling, do you see a liberal trying to ram a government owned hospital ship with a train?
Yes, if they thought it would hurt Trump.  Most definitely.  

I have seen some pretty crazy stuff from liberals and leftists.  However, this strikes me as someone on the outside supporting neither party.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 10:18:01 AM »
Somebody who got their training in physics from watching movies.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 10:18:40 AM »
Wile E. Coyote failure level 10
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/04/02/train-engineer-intentionally-derails-locomotive-near-hospital-ship-says-usns-mercy-was-suspicious/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=Socialflow+NAV&utm_medium=social

How did this this guy become an engineer with a apparent zero understanding of the physics involved even if he was flat off his rocker? Only things I can think of at the moment, and this is pure speculation on my part at this time, is a 100% diversity based hire/promotion.
To be clear, he is train operator.  They still retain the "engineer" name even though they don't operate steam boilers anymore.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 10:25:02 AM »
Bet a box of .22 that he is declared incompetent to stand trial.  Or that he offs himself in a cell.

Or maybe those guys in the black suits and shades will do it.   [tinfoil]
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 10:37:45 AM »

I can sure see one shooting up a baseball field. Or unabombing.

No way to tell what this guy is without more info.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 10:41:39 AM »
He could just be normal crazy.  Not everyone has political motivations for weird *expletive deleted*it they do.

Interesting concept for our times:  "Normal crazy."

Why yes... yes, I do.

Et cetera.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 10:43:21 AM »
Only things I can think of at the moment, and this is pure speculation on my part at this time, is a 100% diversity based hire/promotion.

Probably a hire of desperation, railroads are in a pinch to hire enough engineers/fireman/brakemen/conductors, too many people fail the drug test. Also it's hard to recruit, like trucking hours are long and you can be away from home for extended periods of time. Plus job security can be crappy, RR's are usually quick to dump employees when revenues dip.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 10:44:38 AM »
Yes, if they thought it would hurt Trump.  Most definitely.  

I have seen some pretty crazy stuff from liberals and leftists.  However, this strikes me as someone on the outside supporting neither party.  

Liberals love government in their lives, free healthcare for all.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 10:49:31 AM »
Probably a hire of desperation, railroads are in a pinch to hire enough engineers/fireman/brakemen/conductors, too many people fail the drug test. Also it's hard to recruit, like trucking hours are long and you can be away from home for extended periods of time. Plus job security can be crappy, RR's are usually quick to dump employees when revenues dip.

Gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling doesn't it?
But anyhow, this guy seems to super clueless, I've never operation a train in my life but even I would have known that train had zero chance of going the distance let alone jumping a water channel.

Toxicology test results could be interesting
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 11:03:07 AM »
Sometimes, "batshit crazy" is the appropriate diagnosis.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2020, 11:04:43 AM »
Liberals love government in their lives, free healthcare for all.
Yeah, but they are often schizo about it.  They will all be for more Govt unless Trump does it.  It is a military ship after all.  IMO, liberals/leftist don't logic their way into their beliefs so applying logic to their actions is difficult.

Considering how many of the mass shooters have been leftists, I think trying to rule him out as a leftist is the wrong way to go.  

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 11:05:17 AM »
Can't vouch for the accuracy of the image:

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 11:07:12 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 11:30:30 AM »
The engineer, allegedly, suspected the ship of having some nefarious purpose, thought it wasn't really a hospital ship, etc.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking-engineer-derails-train-while-trying-to-crash-into-usns-mercy-report-says

If you understood what kinds of people inhabit the Left, you wouldn't ask this question.

I know a guy that voted for Trump, even though he didn't think "they" would let him win. Now, he says Trump is just another part of the deep state, and he's only doing what "they" tell him to do.

The point being, some people are just - uh - different. They don't really buy into one party or politician, except as it may happen to fit their ever-shifting theory of everything that particular day.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 12:17:03 PM »
From https://heavy.com/news/2020/04/eduardo-moreno-california-train-usns-mercy/

According to his Facebook profile, Moreno is a San Pedro native and graduated from San Pedro Senior High School. Moreno lives in San Pedro with his wife and their two children, his social media profile shows. Details about his position at the Port of Los Angeles were not immediately available and the train company has not commented about the incident.

Abundant Life Church of God in Torrance, California, tweeted a link to this story and wrote, “His family attends our church!” Abundant Life is affiliated with the Cleveland, Tennessee-based Church of God, a Pentecostal Christian denomination. Moreno’s Facebook profile does not reveal any information about his motive or political beliefs.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2020, 12:44:24 PM »
This made me wonder how much, if any, defensive firepower a hospital ship may carry. Do they even have mounts for 50BMG along the rails? Probably not because of the mission of the ship, but then again maybe a small security detachment with small arms. Then that begs the question; What caliber for runaway locomotive? A 5"/54 Caliber would be nice but that detracts from the peaceful mission of the ship. ;)

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2020, 12:58:57 PM »
This made me wonder how much, if any, defensive firepower a hospital ship may carry. Do they even have mounts for 50BMG along the rails? Probably not because of the mission of the ship, but then again maybe a small security detachment with small arms. Then that begs the question; What caliber for runaway locomotive? A 5"/54 Caliber would be nice but that detracts from the peaceful mission of the ship. ;)

bob

If the tracks were actually close enough for the train to actually reach the ship I'm highly doubtful anything like a 5" gun even if locked and loaded could be swung around and fired in the few, if any, seconds you had left after becoming aware a locomotive just jumped it's tracks and is headed your way like Rosie O'Donnell to a donut shop
- Calvin and Hobbes