Author Topic: COVID-19 and Voting  (Read 1031 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
COVID-19 and Voting
« on: April 02, 2020, 12:41:48 PM »
So I've been hearing a lot of talk about "virtual voting" for the NOV elections. Depending on the definition, that could sure lead to voter fraud. If they just keep it mail-in, much harder to be fraudulent, or at least more fraudulent than the "no ID needed" thing for in-person voting in many states. If they really mean virtual, like via the interwebz, man, that could get messy.

Idaho is not as mail-in friendly as CA was. I still do it here, but you have to "check in" more here, versus opting in to default mail-in. Still, for the May election, the governor has ordered mandatory mail-in voting only.

I'm just going to be curious (and maybe a little afraid) of how "not in-person" voting might work out on a national level.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: COVID-19 and Voting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 02:11:57 PM »
So I've been hearing a lot of talk about "virtual voting" for the NOV elections. Depending on the definition, that could sure lead to voter fraud. If they just keep it mail-in, much harder to be fraudulent, or at least more fraudulent than the "no ID needed" thing for in-person voting in many states. If they really mean virtual, like via the interwebz, man, that could get messy.

Idaho is not as mail-in friendly as CA was. I still do it here, but you have to "check in" more here, versus opting in to default mail-in. Still, for the May election, the governor has ordered mandatory mail-in voting only.

I'm just going to be curious (and maybe a little afraid) of how "not in-person" voting might work out on a national level.

Mail-in voting is the liberals dream, because all those non-voters will suddenly become voters... via "ballot harvesting" from the trash cans.

(Or, like the stories I've read from California, just redirecting the mail before it's ever delivered.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 03:19:31 PM »
These things need to get figured out before November, because the current elections are a mess.
As a result, poll workers have been dropping out by the thousands. As of Tuesday, roughly 7,000 had said they would not work, and 111 precincts did not have a single poll worker on the schedule, meaning that many locations could be forced to close. In response, Gov. Tony Evers, a Democrat, said on Wednesday that he would deploy National Guard troops to work at understaffed polling sites. Wisconsin law dictates that each site must have at least three election workers.
I'm not sure exactly what the answer is, mail-in voting certainly has it's problems, but I don't blame the poll workers for dropping out especially considering how old most of them are.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 03:25:21 PM »

Probably not going to have same day registration.  :rofl:
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »
On the one hand, half the country will think the election was rigged.

On the other hand, that happens with every close election now. Abrams still claims she's the governor.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife